Start by marking “With Justice for All: A Strategy for Community Development” as Want to Read:
With Justice for All: A Strategy for Community Development

With Justice for All: A Strategy for Community Development

“I am persuaded that the Church, as the steward of this gospel, holds the key to justice in our society. Either justice will come through us or it will not come at all.” John Perkins’s optimistic view of justice becoming a reality starts and ends with the Church. With Justice for All is Perkins’ invitation to live out the gospel in a way that brings good news to the poor a
Published October 7th 2007 by Regal (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about With Justice for All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Justice for All

Start your review of With Justice for All: A Strategy for Community Development
Jeff Shelnutt
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry, sociology
I’ve personally been involved in long-term community development initiatives in rural settings overseas. It is also currently a significant focus of my ministry in the US. So John Perkins is a name that I hear referenced often. He is considered a pioneer in Gospel-centered community development.

Speaking with over fifty years of experience, Perkins describes what he regards as the three primary components in establishing lasting community transformation.

1) Relocation. It used to be taken for gra
Shawn
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book that will confront you with a scriptural reality of how God desires the church to respond to the injustice of the poor and oppressed, and how the body of Christ - particularly black & white must find unity and partnership in this endeavor. ...more
Mike
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that led me to become who I was meant to be. My favorite, most important ever.
Hannah Gies
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
If you're in the ministry of reconciliation or community development, you need to read this book. The church could be, and should be, doing so much more. Practical tips and ideas for really helping to fight poverty and help people out of a victim mindset. Dr. John Perkins' story is inspiring and amazing. To God be the glory!
Anthony
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent read that not only illustrates the story and ministry of John Perkins, but also the original philosophy for CCDA work: Relocate, Reconcile, and Redistribute. This book was incredibly helpful and affirming. Highly recommended for those needing a follow-up to Making Neighborhoods Whole for a more in-depth analysis of CCD principles and practice!
Michael Vincent
An excellent work with a sound theological and practical discussion of ministering in the name of Christ to those who have needs. Perkins deals with the reality of what faces us, sharing much from his own life and ministry. A solid work that all need to consider as we seek to be ambassadors for Christ in our community, region and world.
Amy
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Perkins is a very wise man with obviously God-led ideas, but I got lost in all the specific details...names, titles, places, etc. It needs to be updated with perhaps a follow-up of how things are working today.
Spencer
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
While it is an older book on Christian community development, written in 1982 after all, the strategy it gives out on how to pull poor and disenfranchised communities out of poverty is still applicable today. The strategy focuses on three steps, 'the three R's'.

1. Relocation. In order to be an effective community developer, one must relocate into the community they seek to develop. None of these 'throw money at the poor, hope it works' strategies where we sit in our suburbs and gated communities
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This book may be a little dated, having been published in the early 80s, but so many of the principles are still quite relevant today. John Perkins is a Christian community developer and civil rights activist, and he has outlined here many of the stories and principles that have guided him in his years of work.

He discusses racial reconciliation, and challenges our lack of commitment to helping the poor, outlining the ways in which many of our "helpful" programs actually create dependency. In som
Jeff
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really do not read a lot of social justice books. I think the reason I don't is due to a lack of theological correctness that tends to permeate those books.

However, I decided to read this book partially out of curiosity and partially because I got it in my Relevant network pack.

This book takes everything that I do not like about social justice books and throws it out the window. You do not have to move away from good theology to preach a holistic gospel that is concerned with the whole person.
Joel
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people living near other people.
Shelves: christian, social
This book addresses poverty and how to change it. It is a how-to on Christian Community Development. The author, John Perkins, is co-founder of Christian Community Development Association (CCDA). I think you will be shocked to read his take on different issues, from social action to free enterprise to racial reconciliation. He takes no political sides, actually straddles the fence nearly perfectly in my opinion. The book is centered around poor black communities but the information can applied t ...more
Meepspeeps
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was cleaning out old files and came across an excerpt from this book that someone had given me not long after its original publication date, 1982. I decided to re-read the 1982 version from the library. It is a thoughtful call to action to live out Christian faith by seeking justice. He strongly endorses living in areas where injustice is felt the most because he believes it's the only way to get the work done effectively, i.e. in community. It's sobering because so much of what he's talking a ...more
Jacob
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: most people
Recommended to Jacob by: Kirsten Strand
This book has the potential to change my life. Maybe not anytime soon, but I think some day it will significantly shape what I do. [I also need to have my wife read the book as we are kind of in it together from this point out].

To clarify, Perkins casts a vision for reconciliation, redistribution, and relocation. For some reason I feel like Tomi and I might some day relocate to one of the poor urban areas in our country (maybe even in NYC)... but I should not even write this yet because I have n
Matt
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Some very applicable things (if you are creative) coming from the dark mouth of segregation. Perkins gives powerful testimony to the survival of the civil rights movement and the shaping of true Christian culture in the face of social and economic hardship. Some blatant and (in my opinion) falsely accusatory statements coupled with a near legal dogmatism leave this book lacking in a few points. Give me a reason to believe what you are saying,Perkins, and not just because Jesus tells me to.
Louis Kunane Hillen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John Perkins writes about the three R's. Relocation, Reconciliation, and Redistribution as a strategy for community development. The entire book is centered around the three R's as Perkins explains and elaborates. Perkins speaks from his experience with his community and church, yet it applies through various contexts concerning issues of justice and the poor. Personally it has impacted me and this is something that I am looking forward to applying in my own life and context.
Nelson
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
((Quotes (3 R’s): “To be an effective community developer I must Relocate into the community of need. I must live among those I am serving. …. Reconciliation between white and blacks….Redistribution. ….Justice is achieved by working with God to share His resources with the disenfranchised of the earth.”))…..John also discusses the failure of government social welfare programs…..As a note, John Perkins, Martin Luther King vintage, is one of the fathers of racial reconciliation.
Barbara
John is one of 20th century evangelical community developers to be modeled. His story is inspirational testimony to the transforming power of God's love. His ministry focus on the three Rs of transformation of impoverished communities; relocate, redistribute, reconcile. His work to bring about healing between blacks and whites in America.
Daniel
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
More autobiographical than I expected. Perkins has a similar, familiar voice in all his books. But many more need to see the world through his eyes. The sight humbles us and makes us confess, then come together.
Paul
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for those who desire to get involved in their community.
Kennedy Webb
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bryan Atkinson
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perkins has a valuable perspective as someone who developed community extensively before there was any buzz about the idea.
Jenni
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great book for learning about community development ministry. John Perkins has had many experiences that others can learn from.
Julia
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A life-changing book.
Heather
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so challenged to live intentionally!
Reba Richie
Jan 14, 2019
Dustin Tramel
Sep 06, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Drug Use and Abuse
  • The Deep
  • A Grief Observed
  • Running with Scissors
  • Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
Dr. John M. Perkins is the founder and president emeritus of the John and Vera Mae Perkins Foundation and cofounder of Christian Community Development Association. He has served in advisory roles under five U.S. presidents, is one of the leading evangelical voices to come out of the American civil rights movement, and is an author and international speaker on issues of reconciliation, leadership, ...more