Start by marking “The Hound at the Gate (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hound at the Gate (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #3)

The Hound at the Gate

(The Adventures of Finn MacCullen #3)

Autumn: the season of endings. And beginnings.

Especially for one young apprentice.

At the annual Festival of the Hunt, thirteen-year-old apprentice goblin hunter Finn MacCullen and his master, Gideon Lir, join other Tuatha De Danaan to honor their people’s heritage. But Finn soon realizes that there are some who denounce his right to attend due to his half-human bloodline.
Published January 13th 2015 by Spencer Hill Middle Grade

To ask other readers questions about The Hound at the Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound at the Gate

Start your review of The Hound at the Gate (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #3)
Kelly Hager
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best Finn MacCullen novel yet; I am desperate for book four. (Darby, please write more, fast.)
Deb
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So very sad that I finished this book! NO NO NO!!!!! Now I have to wait until 2016...2016 to read the next book!!! NO NO NO!!! Sorry, just had to let that out. Finn, Gideon and friends continue to grow in who they are and how they relate to each other. Darby's characters are true to life. It's easy to believe that they are real. Finn is a young teen, not sure about girls, always screwing up. That lack of self confidence makes him not only lovable but very realistic. Gideon is a tough teacher, wi ...more
Mavel Diaz
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Otra excelente historia! Simplemente amo estos libros y me dejan desesperada por el que sigue.

Finn MacCullen y Gideon Lir son de mis personajes favoritos y conforme va creciendo su realción padre-hijo, va creciendo mi amor por ellos.
Beverly McClure
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that you just don’t want it to end? A book where the characters are so real to you that you hurt when they hurt and laugh when they laugh?

Award winning author Darby Karchut writes that kind of book. From her Griffin Series to her Finn MacCullen series, Ms. Karchut’s characters take you along on their adventures, their dangers, their tender moments, and their funny moments. In the author’s latest novel, THE HOUND AT THE GATE: Book Three of The Adventures of Finn MacCull
Kathy Martin
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This third adventure of Finn MacCullen finds him thirteen and beginning to notice girls as potential girlfriends. He is feeling more comfortable with Gideon as a teacher and mentor. They are building a very strong relationship.

Finn and Gideon are going to a Festival which gathers the Tuatha De Danaan to celebrate the fall equinox. Of course, there are hurdles. One of the ruling council doesn't want to admit Finn because he is half human. Also, an old enemy of Gideon's is attending with his appr
Tracy
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
This series just keeps getting better. Darby's characters are so believable...so loveable...so...well, I can't say enough. This maybe a Middle Grade series, but it has wrapped hold of my heart! And these characters will remain at the top of my all-time favorite literary characters!
Gaby
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Can't wait to read the next one but I'm sad it'll be the final book.
RoloPoloBookBlog
The Hound at the Gate by Darby Karchut
Book #3: The Adventures of Finn MacCullen
Source: ARC from author
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Review:

As I sit down to write this review the old adage “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” comes to mind. To clarify, that adage comes to mind in a very, very good way.

Before I dove into The Hound at the Gate I re-read my review of Gideon’s Spear, book two in The Adventures of Finn MacCullen series. (click here to read my review) At the end of that read I was all kinds of
Tom
Once again, author Darby Karchut shows off her amazing knack for building on each installment of a series, making each book better than the last.

In the Adventures of Finn MacCullen series, Ms. Karchut hasn’t struck a bad note yet, but the third book—“The Hound at The Gate”—surpasses even its two predecessors.

The first two novels mainly focus on the relationship between apprentice Finn “Don’t Call Me Finnegan” MacCullen and his Knight, Gideon Lir. We watch as Finn struggles to learn all the skill
Brendan  Muller
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
( I received a copy of this book from NetGalley, in exchange for a honest review.)

This is the third book in the adventures of Finn McCullen series of middle grade books.
I having not read the first two found this a bit confusing at first, but in this book Finn is 13. I got into it quickly and i liked the writing style, it had a few funny scenes, but i will definitely revisit this series after i have read the first two books.
Amanda Kern
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the next book

I want to know what happens next. I mean how much more trouble can this kid get into. It seems to follow him around. I especially want to know about the voice he keeps arguing with.
Starr
Jun 27, 2018
Beverly
Jan 02, 2015
Darby Karchut
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Meredith Mansfield
May 05, 2014
May 13, 2014
Igraine
May 15, 2014
Darby Karchut is an award-winning author, dreamer, and compulsive dawn greeter. A native of New Mexico, she now lives in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, where she runs in blizzards and bikes in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, Darby is busy wrangling words.
Her middle grade book, DEL TORO MOON, was a Colorado Book Award Winner and a Moonbeam Children's Silver Award Winner

The Adventures of Finn MacCullen (4 books)
  • Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
  • Gideon's Spear (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #2)
  • Finn's Choice  (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #4)