Start by marking “Out of the Dark (Five #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Dark (Five #1)

Out of the Dark (Five #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Five teenagers who’ve recently discovered they have magical powers and are living in the Seattle underground feel it’s their responsibility to protect unsuspecting humans from otherworldly foes. Things are going well until Johnathan, their unofficial leader and the boy sixteen year old Paige is in love with, is bitten by a changeling – the venomous saliva causing him to me ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Dark

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
The book begins with Paige. She discovers she has some magical powers. Her preacher dad and mom decide to have her committed. She escapes and goes "underground". She then meets Jonathan..the handsome guy character and he brings in 3 other teenagers in a matter of a few pages in dialouge. Things are moving very quick at this point in the story. You don't really get a feel for the characters.

Enter INSTALOVE yuk.

The teenagers decide with all of them having powers that they are to fight the baddie
Lindsay
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

There is no specific genre that I will read, and no specific age range either. I enjoy a good middle grade or YA novel just as much as I do adult. I would describe Five as being an upper MG read, even though it is classified as YA. It does have its dark moments, but nothing a mature reader can’t handle. Parents: use your discretion.

The book starts off with Paige discovering that she has developed some new abilities. Her family doesn’t approve of this, and try to have her committed… or s
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ya and adults
I read a few of the reviews and loved the cover and synopsis and thought I would give this book a try.....

This book had some good moments and some bad moments. I felt as if their were some dark scenes that makes this more for mature then YA but depends on the age group reading it. I felt the beginning was off and I didn't understand how these kids got there powers. I also felt this story was slightly boring, I do give for some of the scenes where the characters fight the demons and trolls, ect,
Jana Brown
I really wish this book had been able to decide what it wanted to be. It's really three separate, but related storylines, none of which are fully developed because they're all sharing space in a fairly short book.

I found myself reading in stops and starts because there would be something interesting going on, and then it would get too slow and devolve into a lot of skimming along the top of the story without really giving us any detail or depth and I'd get bored. Then something else would pop up
Kyra Dune
For me, this book started slow. It was choppy, too much telling was going on, and it was boring. So much so I considered stopping the book several times. But I pushed through and once the main plot started things picked up considerably. I found myself really enjoying the story and the characters, especially Paige and Jonathan. There were a few things near the end which kind of had me rolling my eyes, but mostly it was really good. I found my heart racing at several points and the nearer I came t ...more
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Original Post: http://lilypondreads.blogspot.com/201...

Different!

When Paige first discovers her power, she doesn't realize how the world around her was going to change. Being a preacher's daughter, her father believed she was practicing Dark Arts and tried to have her taken away. Devastated she makes a run for it and is discovered by Johnathan. The two quickly learn that both are magic users and that there are three more of them like it out there. As the pace of the story quickens, we meet all
Felicitia
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, favorites, reviewed
A story about teenagers with special or magical powers wasn't new and original at all, but this book was definitely special. I loved the way Holli Anderson created a unique story about werewolves, instead of just a mere shapeshifting creature that exist because of being bitten by another werewolf, Johnathan, one of the five teenagers, was bitten by a changeling. It was a good new atmosphere.

I really adore Holli Anderson's writing. The story was written neatly and chronologically, from the time
Lisa
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember Enid Blyton's Famous Five books? Well say hello to the modern, magical and mythical version of those books!
This series may fit into the Young Adult genre, but I think it can be enjoyed by people young and old.
Step into the world of Paige, a 16 year old girl whose family disowns her when she discovers she has magical powers. Alone in the world, soon she meets Johnathan, who is just like her, and soon the two become the Five. Learning more about their powers as they try and make do in
Merisha28
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
Five- Out of the Dark by Holli Anderson
Print Length: 267 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press (August 20, 2013)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00EII0VTA

My Review~~~
I received this book in exchange for a honest review.
First of this cover is awesome! I instantly had cover love for this ominous cover with the teens on the book. It has the dystopian feel to the cover, but once you get to reading it you discover there is more to it t
Elle Klass
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Out of the Dark by Holli Anderson is a fast paced urban-fantasy thrill ride. Paige, a teenager realizes she has special abilities. When her parents witness these abilities they overreact and Paige is forced to run. She meets Johnathan who like her has the same abilities, then one by one three more teens with the same abilities enter the picture. The Five survive and grow, learning more about controlling their powers through the help of a couple of adults. Soon they find themselves patrollin ...more
Crina (Reading Addict)
I received this book for a honest review and as a part of the tour! Thanks! Original post on http://nervidetoamna.blogspot.ro/

I was expecting this book to be so good, action packed, suspense, complexe characters, because the synopsis sounds amazing and the cover is so promising. But it wasn't, for me is wasn't good and I was very dissapointed. And the beggining was so fast, everything happened in a few pages and after some time when the things went slower this two things didn't mixed.

Yes, the bo
Satarupa
I got this book from the auditor, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author and the tour organizers fro giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book.

Whoa!!! What an interesting read!!!

This was a whirlwind experience for me and I loved the way things played out in this story. From the very first I got hooked in because of the mesmerizing writing style of the author. The descriptions had all the details necessary and the a
Liz Barnsley
**3.5 stars**

Thank you kindly to Curiosity Quills ( http://curiosityquills.com/ ) for the opportunity to read and review this series. I am very much looking forward to more. Well written and intriguing I was immediately drawn into the world of Paige, Johnathon et al.

I loved the set up of this – whilst there is nothing new to be found necessarily, the characters are all likeable and act with believability despite the paranormal aspects of the story. The bond developing between them is good to wat
Melanie Adkins
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paige is a normal teenage girl. Her father is a preacher and her mother a housewife. There was nothing that could prepare her for what she would discover. One day, some guys from school were being cruel to her dog. Paige went after them and unleashed something she never dreamed of.
After running away from home, Paige finds herself in the underground of Seattle. There she would meet one boy who would change her world forever. Together, they discover even more teens who have unleashed something.
Tera
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My fav part was the part where the kids lived in the underground of Seattle away from modern convinces and electricity. I had an off the grid childhood myself, so I really related to these kids here. The fact that they also had supper powers was an absolute urban fantasy readers BONUS indeed.

The characters and descriptions where top notch & I learned a lot about fantasy.

Oh, I won't fail to mention the love twist which wove it's way through the story & into your heart. It slathered the
Jonathan
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from publisher Curiosity Quills in exchange for an honest review.I really enjoyed this book and all the characters.I enjoyed the banter between male characters.My only problem with the book is the cover does not come across as magical.They could have used the same people but with Paige in the middle with star bright forming in her hands.Overall would Highly recommend this book.Thanks to author for writing such a great novel.I look forward to second novel.
James Wymore
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like Harry Potter in the Seattle underground, so automatically cool. It's full of teenage angst and romance, but against a backdrop of werewolves and demons. The magic system is enigmatic and intriguing. The characters are fun, especially the main girl who is tough and strong willed. Anderson doesn't pull the punches, leading to a shocking and powerful climax. If you love Urban Fantasy, this book won't disappoint!
Judy Thomas
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one
and continue the story. I'm not young and have teenagers and a 29 year old but it really drew me in and I found myself reading when I should have been doing my housework :) My teens are going to take turns reading it now.Thank you Holly Anderson.
Kristen
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five kids brought together by magic learn to survive on their own while coming into their powers. This was a very fast paced book, easy to follow and full of adventure. You follow the Five as they fight against the evil that is trying to destroy their world. I really enjoyed this one. It is perfect for the 12-16 yr old fantasy reader. Great job Holli Anderson!
Dixie Tuttle
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book it kept me on the edge very good read if you are into the unknown powers so to speak !! Can't wait until the next book comes out.. So happy a NEW author can Write such an amazing book and keep it dear to her heart and add real life characters into it and also brought her family and close ones into the story !!!! AWESOME job is all I can say!!!
Crystal
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed my attention from the first to the last! Holli effectively created a new world of magic hidden within our own world that is believable, mystical, and surprising. Pre-teens through adults will enjoy this book. The characters are well developed and the story line flows smoothly. I can't wait to read the next installment!
Johnny Worthen
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engaging, fast-paced YA urban fantasy adventure with echoes of MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN. Just the thing for a slow afternoon.
Rebecca McNutt
Out of the Dark was pretty good, and its own original take on fantasy was very interesting. The Seattle setting was also one that I usually don't see in books too often so that was cool, too.
Tk Freestone
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2014
omg omg omg i love love love this book
Isis
I'd like to thank Curiosity Quills Press for the copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review. The fact that this was free in no way impacts the integrity of my review. I give this book 3.5 stars, but for sites that only accept whole numbers I will give it 4 stars, as I would round up rather than down in this instance.

Nicole Hewitt
3.5/5 Stars

This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Five - Out of the Dark was difficult for me to review because it started out very shaky for me and then got better and better as the book progressed. Here's why:

The negatives:

Beginning moves way too fast.
Honestly, I was very worried at the beginning of this book. I was starting to wonder if I was even going to be able to give it three stars because the beginning of the book had some major issues. The big
Lexi
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
**I received this book free in exchange for an unbiased and honest review**

Book Description: Five teenagers who’ve recently discovered they have magical powers and are living in the Seattle underground feel it’s their responsibility to protect unsuspecting humans from otherworldly foes. Things are going well until Johnathan, their unofficial leader and the boy sixteen year old Paige is in love with, is bitten by a changeling – the venomous saliva causing him to metamorphose into a ravening beast
Kathy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out by introducing Paige she accidentally discovers her magic when she happens upon some bullies abusing her dog. Her father (a Pastor) discovers her practising her magic and freaks out and tries to send her away to an institution; Paige escapes and runs away where she meets Johnathan, with whom she feels an instant connection to. Johnathan eventually one by one brings in the other three, Alec, Seth and Halli.

This book started out with a ton of information being presented very
Marc Taylor
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
First and Foremost, Full Disclosure: The Author is a good friend of mine and as such I want to give an honest review without the reader assuming any sort of bias because of this friendship. I only gave it a 4-Star rating based on the paragraph that follows.

I'm going to have to admit, this was a hard book for me to dive into, mostly because of the size of the book. I've gotten rather accustomed to reading much larger novels that allow a lot of character development, and that is not the case here.
Alice
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
My Stars : 3.7 / 5

-I received an e-copy in exchange for an honest review. -

Let’s start with than this book has me divided, on one side I found points that certainly make than the story have potential, has a nice mix of paranormal with a bit of a story out of a comic in some parts. On the other hand, had me a little pensive and somewhat confused.
The story begins with one of the characters: Paige, who discovers that he has unusual powers than ever imagined. She will explore the gift that has hidd
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sword of Deaths (The Scythe Wielder's Secret Book 2)
  • Sacrifice (Daughters of Lilith, #3)
  • Archon's Queen (The Awakened, #2)
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
  • Viola Doyle or An Unconventional Gift
  • The Dragon of the Month Club
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Nightmares of the Queen (The Brajj, #2)
  • Of Scions and Men
  • Divide
  • Guild Assassin (Curse Breaker, #1)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • The Elementalists
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up The Moon (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #2)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #3)
  • Severed Colours (Colour Wielders, #2)
  • Blood Magic: A SoulTracker Novel #1: A DarkWorld Series
Holli Anderson has a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing—which has nothing to do with writing, except maybe by adding some pretty descriptive injury and vomit scenes to her books. She discovered her joy of writing during a very trying period in her life when escaping into make-believe saved her. She enjoys reading any book she gets her hands on, but has a particular love for anything fantasy.
Along with
More about Holli Anderson

Five (3 books)
  • Out of the Pit (Five, #2)
  • Out of the Ashes (Five, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)