Start by marking “Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)” as Want to Read:
Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)

Desert Swarm

(Tarizon Saga #3)

Due to a freak auto accident, Jack Carpenter discovers a strange geological formation in the Mojave Desert near Bat Mountain, California. He thinks little about it until he returns out of curiosity and discovers the formation is growing, and doing so at a staggering rate. Fascinated by this, he calls in his friend George Parker, a local geology professor, and together they ...more
Published January 2nd 2014 by Top Publications, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Desert Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Swarm

Start your review of Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

I decided not to review this book since the review I want to write wouldn't be very nice. I shall just pass it on-perhaps someone else will enjoy the book.
Jo
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Although the basic premise of Desert Swarm was pretty interesting, the execution is where things fell apart a little bit for me. Here were some of the problems:

1. This was supposed to be set in the '50s, but other than several mentions of the year, it could have been any time period. Contrast that to Sue Grafton's excellent alphabet series, set in the '80s. Part of what makes her work stand out is that she includes so many period-specific details that make you feel like you're right back there,
Carrie Kilgore
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Stan Turner mystery I read by this author was good. This one... not really. The premise is interesting enough, but it would have been far better told as a short story. As a novel of over 300 pages, we meander around way too much. Too much telling, too many inconsistencies, too many blunders. Is this his first draft? Did anyone bother to even read it for typos? If you're absolutely thrilled with the whole Tarizon saga, I suppose you'll want to wade through this. Otherwise, it's a bit like che ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Book 3 of the Tarizon Saga takes place on earth. A building is bursting forth from the desert. What's going on??? Well the Nanomites have come to Earth along with the humans from Tarizon. Those Nanomites can certainly be troublecausers. Will the live up to they treaty? Since our government hasn't shared what's going on how will the people react to buildings just appearing?

I am not a big science fiction fan but Manchee does spin a good yarn. This one is limited somewhat to dealing with the Nanom
Susan Walker
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Fairly interesting thriller. A freak formation is found in the Mojave Desert and is growing rapidly. More and more people hear about this and arrive to see it. A Reverend wants to us the formation to save his church. Before he can do anything the Army moves in. Soon deaths follow. This story keeps you waiting for the next shoe to drop. Different story line.
Fran
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Believable, great from the start. Good pace. Bit of a twist at the end but could happen scenario, especially in this political climate. Would recommend and want to read more.
Ruth
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspense down to the last minute ! A seemingly curious artifact is discovered in a remote desert site. Jack, concrete contractor, notices a strange crystalline lump in the sand after he suffers a truck accident on the way to a future construction job. He finds a team of curious friends who are determined to discover the origin and physical structure of the self-building wall of crystals. Nano-sentient alien lifeforms are involved along with government secrets and troubling dangers that keep the ...more
Monika
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its an interesting plot of what a common man, a man of God and a man of science think about a sudden structure that erupted from the ground and continues to grow inches in time. The story is wonderfully written and well suits in a SciFi Historical Fiction genre. Desert Swarm is a good addition to Tarizon series. This is my first book from this series. Mr.Manchee captures the thinking process of men who believe in different things and manages to keep the reader well informed and gripped till the ...more
Jomil Vrabelmulvey
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I've been putting off writing this review because,truth to tell,I didn't like the book. I got my free review copy from the For Voracious Readers Only program. Two hundred plus pages seems a long slog through more cardboard characters than Upper Deck's roster ever produced just to get to the brilliance of the greatest line n the book.One of the aforesaid cutouts says of a 7' green skinned alien "He would stand out like a pickle in a bag of french fries."
It is a sad commentary on this novel that t
Carrie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Beth
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I can't begin to say how much I disliked this book. It didn't make any sense. There was no reason for why the aliens would trust Jack. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero. The entire book told me what was going on in short sentences that were not descriptive or interesting. Sadly it was a waste of time and I would not recommend this to anyone.
Marion Craggs
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author via vorocious readers. I personally found this book was not for me, as I prefer a story which is either completely fantasy based or one which makes you think this could perhaps happen and this is a mixture of believable and complete fantasy so did not reall appeal to me. However I have read the whole book and it is well written with very few mistakes I think I would recommend it for young adults or older teenagers.
Charlie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
*I received a copy of this book from the author via voracious readers only in exchange for an honest review*
It was an interesting premise however it wasn't very well executed, it was very rough around the edges and in the end I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I got about half way but the characters were so bland and devoid of any personality that I didn't feel invested in the story, I couldn't even tell you what any of them were supposed to look like.
Jeannie Lawson
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only.
Unfortunately, that's just about the only positive thing I can say about this book.
While the story was science fiction, I did not find this to be a thriller.
The character development was poor and the dialogue did not flow naturally.
Janet
Jul 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this book for free through Voracious Readers. I wish I could say I liked it but I’m afraid I was unable to finish it. I normally like sci-fi but I couldn’t figure out what was going on in this book, couldn’t connect with the characters and got turned off with the stereotypical portrayals of the different factions involved.
Louise
Nov 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received a free copy of this book from Voracious Readers in exchange for an honest review.
I really wanted to be able to say I'd loved it, but like a few other reviewers I'm afraid I didn't finish it. It's a shame because I normally enjoy a bit of sci-fi and I love all things X-Files but I just couldn't connect with the characters and the story didn't grab me all. A disappointment.
Katie Paradis
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Mr Bill
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very good with all of the different possibilities that could be created to explain away the almost unexplainable, but certainly mysterious, events occurring in an empty landscape in the American west.
Myra Mcculloch
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A free book from Voracious Readers thank you

All fiction is based on fact and this story of alien settlement and government cover-up could well be a real scenario today! Do aliens walk among us?

A recommended read for fans of conspiracy theories and this genre
Shirley
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written and flowing storyline. Enjoyed immensely. Jack is a great character that you can relate too. Won from goodreads.
Rochelle Kirkup
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy through Voracious Readers Only. It was quite a good read. It flowed well with interesting characters and had a bit of a different premise.
Kelly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Fuller
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read, was slow starting but then took off at pace. Look forward to next in series
Tomi
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I regret every minute I spent on this book. I only finished it because I was comfortable and didn't want to get up to find another one. ...more
Violet Henson
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a very good book. It was a bit odd. I got a free copy from Vocarious readers only.
Kati
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads.com First Read win in exchange for my honest opinion. This story started out readable as a stand-alone. There was detail given about the underlying series, but the book could be read as it's own story, right up till the end when we were left with a cliff-hanger.

The premise of the story is an alien life-force on Earth, inadvertently causing mayhem and suffering due to misunderstandings with the humans around them.

The very first page of this story indicates that
David Fox
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a GoodReads First Reads. The book is the third book in the Tarizon Saga by William Manchee.

Okay I am sorry it took so long to give an up date.

Well I will keep this short so I can hopefully get more interested. Jack is a local who owns a construction business out in the Desert. After a long work week Jack heads home to keep a promise to his son Jake who lives with his mother. On the way home Jack stops at a diner he like for a late supper, where Dolly his waitress ( who li
Brandi
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
William Manchee knocked it out of the park with this one.

Jack Carpenter has recently been divorced and is very busy with work, traveling and his son Jake ho he sees on the weekend when his life is changed. One late night on the road he falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the road, down a hill and into a tree. When he wakes up instead of staying with his vehicle he walks off into the desert instead of back up to the road. Stumbling with a concussion he runs into a building site in the middle o
Nancy Steinle gummel
Tarizon: Desert Swarm by William Manchee is another wonderful story. This one takes place in the 1950s when a construction worker, Jack Carpenter accidently stumbles upon a desert structure. He brings his girlfriend Dolly with him when he goes back to investigate. He discovers it has grown larger in a day. He took pictures and compares. He goes to the University and meets George the geologist and brings him out to investigate. Meanwhile, Reverend John Little of the Living Desert takes it on hims ...more
Rachel
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway.

First of all, I want to say that I did like this book, but Manchee is no Shakespeare. There are a lot of typo's and grammatical errors, but I can't really hold that against the author since it is nearly impossible to self-edit your own writing. That's not the only problem with the writing though; Manchee does a lot of "telling" instead of "showing," (let me give you an example, in the beginning, we are told that the main character is a regular at Mona's c
« previous 1 3 next »

• The 13 (Mission's End #1)
  • Magic and Murder Among the Dwarves (Crying Woman Road #1)
  • Journey To Osm
  • Whom the Gods Love (God & Mortals, #1)
  • Clio at War (Clio, #1)
  • Rucaern Orb (Gray Sphere #1)
  • The Man in the Dragon Robe (An Emily Bennett Mystery Book 1)
  • The Hand of God
  • The Redemption of Erâth: Consolation (The Redemption of Erâth #1)
  • 22 Scars
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #1)
  • The Sparks (Feud, #1)
  • Don't Go Stealing My Heart (Showmen, #2)
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
  • Running With the Wolves (The Chronopoint Chronicles, #1)
  • Excalibur Rising: Book One of an Arthurian Saga (Excalibur Rising, #1)
  • The Game of VORs
  • The Heart of Aleppo: A Story of the Syrian Civil War
William Manchee is an attorney by trade and practices consumer law in Dallas with his son Jim. Originally from southern California, he now lives in Plano, Texas.

Tarizon Saga (2 books)
  • Shroud of Doom (Tarizon Saga, #2)