Start by marking “Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)” as Want to Read:
Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)

Desert Swarm

(Tarizon Saga #3)

Due to a freak auto accident, Jack Carpenter discovers a strange geological formation in the Mojave Desert near Bat Mountain, California. He thinks little about it until he returns out of curiosity and discovers the formation is growing, and doing so at a staggering rate. Fascinated by this, he calls in his friend George Parker, a local geology professor, and together they ...more
Published January 2nd 2014 by Top Publications, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Desert Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Swarm

Start your review of Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

I decided not to review this book since the review I want to write wouldn't be very nice. I shall just pass it on-perhaps someone else will enjoy the book.
Carrie Kilgore
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Stan Turner mystery I read by this author was good. This one... not really. The premise is interesting enough, but it would have been far better told as a short story. As a novel of over 300 pages, we meander around way too much. Too much telling, too many inconsistencies, too many blunders. Is this his first draft? Did anyone bother to even read it for typos? If you're absolutely thrilled with the whole Tarizon saga, I suppose you'll want to wade through this. Otherwise, it's a bit like ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Book 3 of the Tarizon Saga takes place on earth. A building is bursting forth from the desert. What's going on??? Well the Nanomites have come to Earth along with the humans from Tarizon. Those Nanomites can certainly be troublecausers. Will the live up to they treaty? Since our government hasn't shared what's going on how will the people react to buildings just appearing?

I am not a big science fiction fan but Manchee does spin a good yarn. This one is limited somewhat to dealing with the
Susan Walker
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Fairly interesting thriller. A freak formation is found in the Mojave Desert and is growing rapidly. More and more people hear about this and arrive to see it. A Reverend wants to us the formation to save his church. Before he can do anything the Army moves in. Soon deaths follow. This story keeps you waiting for the next shoe to drop. Different story line.
Jo
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Although the basic premise of Desert Swarm was pretty interesting, the execution is where things fell apart a little bit for me. Here were some of the problems:

1. This was supposed to be set in the '50s, but other than several mentions of the year, it could have been any time period. Contrast that to Sue Grafton's excellent alphabet series, set in the '80s. Part of what makes her work stand out is that she includes so many period-specific details that make you feel like you're right back there,
Ruth
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspense down to the last minute ! A seemingly curious artifact is discovered in a remote desert site. Jack, concrete contractor, notices a strange crystalline lump in the sand after he suffers a truck accident on the way to a future construction job. He finds a team of curious friends who are determined to discover the origin and physical structure of the self-building wall of crystals. Nano-sentient alien lifeforms are involved along with government secrets and troubling dangers that keep the ...more
Jomil Vrabelmulvey
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I've been putting off writing this review because,truth to tell,I didn't like the book. I got my free review copy from the For Voracious Readers Only program. Two hundred plus pages seems a long slog through more cardboard characters than Upper Deck's roster ever produced just to get to the brilliance of the greatest line n the book.One of the aforesaid cutouts says of a 7' green skinned alien "He would stand out like a pickle in a bag of french fries."
It is a sad commentary on this novel that
Carrie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Beth
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I can't begin to say how much I disliked this book. It didn't make any sense. There was no reason for why the aliens would trust Jack. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero. The entire book told me what was going on in short sentences that were not descriptive or interesting. Sadly it was a waste of time and I would not recommend this to anyone.
Marion Craggs
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author via vorocious readers. I personally found this book was not for me, as I prefer a story which is either completely fantasy based or one which makes you think this could perhaps happen and this is a mixture of believable and complete fantasy so did not reall appeal to me. However I have read the whole book and it is well written with very few mistakes I think I would recommend it for young adults or older teenagers.
Janet
Jul 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this book for free through Voracious Readers. I wish I could say I liked it but I’m afraid I was unable to finish it. I normally like sci-fi but I couldn’t figure out what was going on in this book, couldn’t connect with the characters and got turned off with the stereotypical portrayals of the different factions involved.
Jeannie Lawson
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only.
Unfortunately, that's just about the only positive thing I can say about this book.
While the story was science fiction, I did not find this to be a thriller.
The character development was poor and the dialogue did not flow naturally.
Louise
Nov 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received a free copy of this book from Voracious Readers in exchange for an honest review.
I really wanted to be able to say I'd loved it, but like a few other reviewers I'm afraid I didn't finish it. It's a shame because I normally enjoy a bit of sci-fi and I love all things X-Files but I just couldn't connect with the characters and the story didn't grab me all. A disappointment.
Mr Bill
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very good with all of the different possibilities that could be created to explain away the almost unexplainable, but certainly mysterious, events occurring in an empty landscape in the American west.
Fran
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Believable, great from the start. Good pace. Bit of a twist at the end but could happen scenario, especially in this political climate. Would recommend and want to read more.
Shirley
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written and flowing storyline. Enjoyed immensely. Jack is a great character that you can relate too. Won from goodreads.
Kelly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Fuller
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read, was slow starting but then took off at pace. Look forward to next in series
Rochelle Kirkup
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy through Voracious Readers Only. It was quite a good read. It flowed well with interesting characters and had a bit of a different premise.
Violet Henson
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a very good book. It was a bit odd. I got a free copy from Vocarious readers only.
Kati
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads.com First Read win in exchange for my honest opinion. This story started out readable as a stand-alone. There was detail given about the underlying series, but the book could be read as it's own story, right up till the end when we were left with a cliff-hanger.

The premise of the story is an alien life-force on Earth, inadvertently causing mayhem and suffering due to misunderstandings with the humans around them.

The very first page of this story indicates that
David Fox
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a GoodReads First Reads. The book is the third book in the Tarizon Saga by William Manchee.

Okay I am sorry it took so long to give an up date.

Well I will keep this short so I can hopefully get more interested. Jack is a local who owns a construction business out in the Desert. After a long work week Jack heads home to keep a promise to his son Jake who lives with his mother. On the way home Jack stops at a diner he like for a late supper, where Dolly his waitress ( who
Brandi
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
William Manchee knocked it out of the park with this one.

Jack Carpenter has recently been divorced and is very busy with work, traveling and his son Jake ho he sees on the weekend when his life is changed. One late night on the road he falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the road, down a hill and into a tree. When he wakes up instead of staying with his vehicle he walks off into the desert instead of back up to the road. Stumbling with a concussion he runs into a building site in the middle
Nancy Steinle gummel
Tarizon: Desert Swarm by William Manchee is another wonderful story. This one takes place in the 1950s when a construction worker, Jack Carpenter accidently stumbles upon a desert structure. He brings his girlfriend Dolly with him when he goes back to investigate. He discovers it has grown larger in a day. He took pictures and compares. He goes to the University and meets George the geologist and brings him out to investigate. Meanwhile, Reverend John Little of the Living Desert takes it on ...more
Rachel
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway.

First of all, I want to say that I did like this book, but Manchee is no Shakespeare. There are a lot of typo's and grammatical errors, but I can't really hold that against the author since it is nearly impossible to self-edit your own writing. That's not the only problem with the writing though; Manchee does a lot of "telling" instead of "showing," (let me give you an example, in the beginning, we are told that the main character is a regular at Mona's
Erin
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Jack Carpenter was in an auto accident. Disoriented, he begins walking into the desert and finds an odd geological formation in the middle of nowhere. He finds his way out and after he can begin to think clearly he decides to return to the site of the weird structure. When he finds it, he notices that it has grown since the last time he saw it. He notices the structure is made of a very odd material. Word makes it around that the structure looks like a cathedral, and the local pastor shows up ...more
PC
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I have little time to spend wrapped around a good book (although that pastime is one of my very favorites) due to my rescue work with animals. So the slow unveiling of major events in this one caused me to sweep over some of the less interesting pages. Also, to be fair, I did not read the first of the series and that left me playing a bit of historical catch-up using only my imagination, although that was surprisingly easy since in my opinion this could be a stand-alone tale. That having been ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jack Carpenter is involved in a freak auto accident. As a result he discovers a strange geological formation in the Mojave Desert near Bat Mountain California. He doesn't think much about it till he returns and discovers the formation is growing and at a staggering rate. Fascinated he calls his friend George Parker who is a local Geology Professor they begin to study the formation in earnest. Professor Parker has never heard of or seen a Geological formation grow almost 6 inches everyday. He ...more
C. Stuchl
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-books
Tarizon: Desert Swarm
William Manchee

Desert Swarm (Tarizon Saga #3)

Book #3 can be read as a stand alone. That said, I am getting the first two.
In this book Jack Carpenter accidently discovers a strange formation in the desert. He tries to keep it a secret but word gets. A "minister" decides that the growing formation is a work of God and a Cathedral. Then the government gets involved and sends in the army.

Yup, that is like adding gas to a fire. The growing cathedral is actually formed by
Carrie-Anne O'Driscoll
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Manchee has an interesting story line here. It's easy to follow and explains how governments will withhold things from the people that we are not intelligent enough to handle.
Using a government cover up of alien life forms, Manchee portrays four "ordinary" citizens as having the integrity to stay the course even when their lives are in peril. At the same time, government big wigs continue to much up the scenario by maintaining that they know better than anyone else.
He depicts human disregard
« previous 1 3 next »

• The 13 (Mission's End #1)
  • Magic and Murder Among the Dwarves (Crying Woman Road #1)
  • 22 Scars
  • The Kingdom Within (The Kingdom Within, #1)
  • Fierce Girls (Fierce Girls at War #1)
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches, #1)
  • Elixir
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Love (God & Mortals, #1)
  • Lost Identity (Eloria, #1)
  • The Time Telephone
  • Clio at War
  • Skid - The First Chronicle (The Skidian Chronicles)
  • Jack's Alive
  • No More Heroes #1 Dystopian Thriller
  • Sohyeon After Midnight
  • Lucid World
  • The Big Waste: A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure (After-Skirmish Book 1)
William Manchee is an attorney by trade and practices consumer law in Dallas with his son Jim. Originally from southern California, he now lives in Plano, Texas.

Tarizon Saga (2 books)
  • Shroud of Doom (Tarizon Saga, #2)