Start by marking “Freedom's Ransom (Catteni, book 4)” as Want to Read:
Freedom's Ransom (Catteni, book 4)

Freedom's Ransom

(Catteni #4)

When Kris Bjornsen and her fellow slaves were dumped on an uninhabited planet by the alien Catteni overlords, they would surely have died-without the help of Zainal, a renegade Catteni exiled by his own people. But they did survive on the planet they named Botany, and in time they drove the Catteni away from Earth and neighboring planets.

Technologically limited but rich
Published June 10th 2002 by Putnam Adult (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom's Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom's Ransom

Start your review of Freedom's Ransom (Catteni, book 4)
Peter
Disappointing: I really enjoyed the first the three books of the Catteni sequence and was looking forward to this one, but was disappointed.

For much of the book it seemed that I was reading about a completely different set of characters as everyone seemed to have had their personality sucked out. The pioneering ethic was not necessary any longer I suppose, but that spirit had defined the characters for me and I felt they were pretty thin (and unsympathetic) without it. I also found the shift to

Fiver
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Everyone knows how sad it is to realize that your favorite series has jumped the shark. There's always that let-down when you finish a novel, add it to your stack of previous entries, and suddenly feel that you can't remember a single thing you just read. And if it's bad when it happens to a good series, it's even worse when it happens to one that's only 'okay'.

The Freedom trilogy worked fairly well. It appropriately used the science fiction background of isolated planets and wild interspecies
Ajtrans
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Too much coffee!!! Not enough science fiction.
Lauren
Jul 28, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
kingshearte
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, fiction, sci-fi
While I do appreciate the fact that at no point in this book did Kris get herself drunk and knocked up by someone other than her partner, I nevertheless wonder why McCaffrey wrote this book. Freedom's Challenge ended with an openness that certainly made another sequel possible, but it also seemed like a decent place to just stop. Failing that, though, she really ought to have found something interesting to write about if she really wanted to stick with these characters. This book consisted ...more
Avid
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, I enjoy Anne Mccaffrey stories. I normally don't do, survivor tales. But she weaves the story well so that when some of the characters get into vicious mode because of the situation, she balances it out with strong and light hearted characters to keep the story from turning into the harshness of survival.

Her stories are always easy reads, but entertaining.

PLus I love the relationship between Zainal and Chris. I just didn't like how she ended up with children. I found that
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a definite fan of coffee. However, too much of the book is dedicated to coffee. This feels like an extra unnecessary portion of the series. There was good closure after the third book so I was really surprised to see a fourth. Of course i had to read it but I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't bad per se, not exactly good either. There wasn't much character deveolpment and certainly not much action There seemed to be some forced moments of action but they felt forced and were resolved very ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I thought it was all over in book 3. Zainal comes back into book 4 and it's even more fun. We get to learn how they try to help Earth and what other things they do to make Botany a home. Just thinking about this books brings a smile to my face. Here's why.

1. Never give up attitude
2. Working together towards a positive outcome
3. Everyone can contribute to make their world a better place.
4. Ingenuity and troubleshooting skills

I just loved how they were able to accomplish so much together. Makes me
Joy
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FREEDOM'S RANSOM focuses on a trading mission to get back the irreplaceable technological equipment and parts stolen by the Catteni in their conquest of Earth. There is some adventure, and the book remains lively, but it focuses on business thinking. That may be the reason this turned out to be the last book of the series that McCaffrey published.
Janice Romanini
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in the series and I thought it was well done. It brought all the stories together. I enjoyed the first three more bit glad I read them all
Jessica
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This was my favorite of the series...I really got into all the post-intergalactic imprerialism trading (that sounds really nerdy, but it was interesting).
Jeffrey
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This series was never as good as its first book and this volume was a microcosm of the whole series. Okay science fiction. Not sure I read any more MCCaffrey after this work.
Douglas Milewski
Freedom's Landing (2002) by Anne McCaffrey tacks onto the more or less completed story of Botany, the forced colony. With book #3 having wrapped up the major plot points, this work doesn't so much as explore life after empire as gently stroll through it while drinking iced coffee.

Like the Cattini books that came before, this book lacks any tension in it whatsoever, so you never have any doubts that our heroes will succeed, while failing to provide any character growth or challenges, while also
Book Bug
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al "Tank"
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Last book in the Botany series.

Botany is finally free and the Eosi are defeated (but a few have fled to no-one-know-where). Botany has food and large space ships and Zainal feels bound to fix the mess. At least the problems that remain on Botany, Earth, and his home planet of Barevi.

The task isn't easy. There are obstacles everywhere, especially on Barevi. Overcoming those obstacles is what makes this story interesting.

The book lives up to the first 3 stories (and builds on them). The writing
MR BARRY
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fitting conclusion

Ransom brings the Catteni sequence to an end. It features all the ups and downs of the first three books and neatly wraps all the threads together. If Anne McCaffrey were alive today I would hope she might pen an aftermath book as I wish the sequence hadn't ended. Kudos to the author.
Caitlyn
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This series has a lot of promise, a compelling concept and interesting characters, but it fails to deliver. There is too much plot, scant character development, and a distinct lack of conflict between characters. While there are some promising set ups for dramatic opportunities, they go unrealized. This series is not McCaffrey's best and is a disappointment.
Kate H
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffrey is one of my all time favorite authors and was one of the first fantasy authors I ever read. Her books can come across as a bit dated now but on the whole I quite enjoy them. Her world building is wonderful and I always find her characters engaging. The Catteni series is one of my favorites by her.
Glen Deshaw
Lackluster compared with the first three in the series

I'm a huge fan but this particular book was frequently boring. The first three were great. Seemed as if the author ran out of good ideas but kept writing.
Al
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thing about Anne McCafrey's books is that even though you have not read the previous one for a long time, it is very easy to get back into the story. She has incredible talent to be able to create characters and world that are easy to relate to and remember from the last book.
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Definitely not McCaffrey's best. Not that I was a huge fan of the series as a whole, but the series should have stopped at book 3. This book focused on trading and selling coffee, with very minimal tension except near the end (though all of the issues were resolved easily).
Lew
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was a nice ending to the Freedom series. It also seemed like there could have been a fifth book to this series.
Lyns
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the series. I could have gone for a 5th, but this one did wrap up everyone's story.
Alice
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Fourth book in the Freedom series. Botany, Earth and Catten have been freed from Eosi domination. Now the rebuilding must begin.
Cory Delaguardia
This one is almost like just extra story, it doesn't push the story much and it's sort of like bonus content to the series.
Anna Geddes
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

This is one of a series of books all of which will equally stand alone. The characters are well done and plotting is good. Very enjoyable
Joan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Picked up one of the series for an airplane book and liked it, so got the other 3 from the library.
CeeDragon
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I loved this book when I first read it. It's still good 15 years later.
Lori Livingston
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago.

There is something timeless about a great book and Anne McCaffrey's are the embodiment of such stories. I suggest you read the whole series so this book is the grand finale it is meant to be. I promise you will long to be on Botany with the wonderful future awaiting the inhabitants there.
Tara Johnson
Two stars might be a bit harsh. I actually enjoyed the book well enough for what it was... it just that it and of itself there was not much too it. The book feels like filler. Nothing much happens (summary: they sell coffee... yup thats it). What really got me is the interesting plot points that they touched on like “oh yeah I have a plan to meet the Farmers” but the the plans never materialized. I probably would have rated the book higher of there had been another book in the series that ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters, #14)
  • Closer to Home (The Herald Spy, #1)
  • Closer to the Heart (The Herald Spy, #2)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • Seasons: All-New Tales of Valdemar
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • The Hills Have Spies (Valdemar: Family Spies #1, Valdemar #43)
  • March Upcountry (Empire of Man, #1)
  • The White Gryphon (Valdemar: Mage Wars, #2)
  • Closer to the Chest (The Herald Spy, #3)
  • Black Douglas
  • Kraving Khiva (The Krave of Everton, #1)
  • Robin Hobb The Liveship Traders Trilogy 3 Books Collection Set
  • The Healing Power of the Sacred Woman: Health, Creativity, and Fertility for the Soul
  • The Black Gryphon (Valdemar: Mage Wars #1)
  • Foundation (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

Catteni (4 books)
  • Freedom's Landing (Catteni, #1)
  • Freedom's Choice (Catteni, #2)
  • Freedom's Challenge (Catteni, #3)