Start by marking “Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)

Broken Dolls

(Jefferson Winter #1)

Jefferson Winter is no ordinary investigator.

The son of one of America's most renowned serial killers, Winter has spent his life trying to distance himself from his father's legacy. Once a rising star at the FBI, he is now a freelance consultant, jetting around the globe helping local law enforcement agencies with difficult cases. He's not got Da Vinci's IQ, but he's prett
Published January 16th 2014 by Faber Faber (first published January 1st 2014)

Lisa
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Broken Dolls by James Carol was a very disturbing read it chilled me to the core , but thoroughly enjoyed it. The Characters were well scripted & very likeable especially Jefferson Winter & Sophie Templeton. This was a really good novel a page turner.

Di Mark Hatcher from Scotland yard calls Jefferson Winter to help him solve a case being the son of a serial killer & is a former FBI agent now profiler he agrees to help Hatcher solve a case involving a psychopath who tortures women kee
Anne Goldschrift
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, okay - umsonst gestresst :D Ich hatte Unrecht mit meiner Vermutung, und das ist gut! :)
Das Buch war mir ein bisschen zu unrealistisch, sonst aber echt gut :)
Paul Nelson
It's been a while since I last delved into the catch a serial killer genre and to be honest the repetitive nature of all the various different attempts eventually put me off. It turned into a chore searching for one that would bring something different to the table, characters that I could root for and a bad guy worthy of the accolade. My favourites of course being the darker stuff, point of view characters from the hunter and the hunted.

So Broken Dolls is my latest and a return to the crime th
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime & Serial Killer Fans
Broken Dolls is a fantastically disturbing crime novel that shares with us the horror of a particularly brutal and sadistic serial killer. If you like your crime novels with a bit of graphic eye popping moments, edge of your seat tension and some spine chilling moments, then you will love Broken Dolls, as did I.

Jefferson Winter is no ordinary investigator.

Brenda
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jefferson Winter is the son of an executed serial killer, ex-FBI profiler, and international freelance consultant hunting serial killers. I found him to be a bit cocky because he's usually right, too perfect because the author gave him no flaws, and a lonely man because he moves on as soon as the killer is caught. He is described as a genius and has a sense of humor at times.

Early in the book, there were a few scenes that were condescending to women, which didn't sit well with me. Fortunately, t
Lee
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr Carol, I am really enjoying your books now that I have discovered them and this was no exception. This is an excellent thriller, fast paced, great characters and an excellent story that takes you in and does not let go until the end. Ex FBI profiler Jefferson Winters is the son of one of America's worst serial killers and he arrives in London to assist on a case where someone is kidnapping young women, keeping them for months and torturing them, a man that Winter intends to take off the stree ...more
Amelia Strydom
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We build the foundation of our lives on faultlines and shifting sand, and in his last moments my father had managed to send a Richter-nine quake rattling through mine, destroying everything I'd held as right and true."

Is there anything worse than a sadistic serial killer? I didn't think so, but author James Carol changed my mind. Instead of murdering the victims' bodies, his "killer" murders their souls ... by giving them lobotomies. This takes a special kind of sicko, who can only be caught by
Tamara De Cubber
Super verhaal. Van begin tot einde spannend en moeilijk weg te leggen. Een aanrader!
Dani Jade
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good little crime-thriller; Pretty much 'Criminal Minds' in book form, actually. I totally pictured Sophie Templeton as J-J, and they even say 'unsub',

Likeable characters, interesting plot. Not a murder-mystery, or a who-dunnit, in that (as with all serial killer books) the killer is obviously not a character we know, it's more about how Winter figures out who the unsub is when all of London is the suspect pool. I'd read the next one.
Nina
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4, 5 Sterne

Ein wirklich spannender Thriller mit einer guten Auflösung. Zunächst hatte ich Angst, dass es auf etwas anderes hinauslaufen könnte, was ich an Thrillern überhaupt nicht mag, aber dem war Gott sein dank nicht so.

Winter war mir zum Teil sehr sympathisch, ich mochte seine unkonventionelle Art, auch wenn mich seit meinem Jurastudium das Vorgehen der meisten Polizisten in Thrillern teilweise wirklich stört :) Allerdings war der Thriller an manchen Stellen extrem unrealistisch. Winter sau
Tracy Fenton
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is a new hero in my life and his name is Jefferson Winter! When I started this book a couple of days ago I was concerned as some fellow bookworms in my book club said it was so gory and they had to take a breather during the book...... Not me..... It was perfect for me (but now I am concerned how warped or depraved I am!). Each chapter galloped by at a fast pace, the dialogue and characters were faultless and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. So much so that I am about to start ...more
Moni
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal!!! Imposible soltarlo porque desde la primera página he adorado a Winter!!! Es capaz de entender mejor que nadie como piensan los asesinos en serie y éste que persiguen especialmente cruel. Quiero MÁS POR FAVOR, TRADUZCANLOS YA!!!!
Ami
I have this one for a while and since I'm in the mood for mystery thriller after finishing Robert Bryndza's Detective Erika Foster series, I figure it's time for me to try it.

The premise is very interesting -- Jefferson Winter, an ex-FBI genius profiler, is a son of a serial killer himself! This book opens with Winter watching his father's execution. When his father mouthed "We're the same" to Winter, it haunts him, so he decides to quit the FBI. Winter still works as freelance consultant, offer
Sunil Laxman
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A crime procedural book with it's own take on it. Broken Dolls was just such a lot of fun!

The Plot consists of a psychopath who abducts women, tortures them and sets them free after a lobotomy.... Yeah not for the faint of heart actually. The police force now ask for the help of PI Jefferson Winter and his expertise in order to track this guy down, before he can strike again.

This book was a brilliant read! It's fast paced, quirky and has a lotta good humor as well. James Carol knows how to build
Linda Strong
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Jefferson Winter is an ex-FBI Agent/Profiler. Jefferson Winter is now a free-lance consultant/hunter of serial killers. Jefferson Winter is the son of a serial killer. His father's last words to him before he ws executed for his crimes were ... We're the Same.

Someone in London is kidnapping young women, holding them for months .... undergoing unspeakable torture before performing a lobotomy and leaving them more dead than alive. After the third woman is found, DS Hatcher asks for Jefferson's hel
Chantal Plantaz
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In plaats van een schrijversduo gingen Jac en ik de uitdaging aan als lezersduo van De Poppenspeler (het debuut) van James Carol.
Onze conlusie is dat dit een geweldig spannende thriller is.
Proloog van het boek is sterk en maakt je direct nieuwsgierig. Jefferson Winter is ex fbi agent en nu werkzaam als zelfstandig opererende profiler die door de Metropolitan Police wordt ingehuurd om klaarheid te brengen in een serie verknipte verminkingen die een abjecte psychopaat toebrengt aan vrouwen, die hi
Ubiquitousbastard
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, fiction, england
I kind of liked the premise and it has been a while since I've read the genre, so I thought I would give this a try. For the first fifty pages, I was undecided. There was some okay tension building, but also it felt kind of tropey. That second part is what carried on throughout the book. The plot was utterly predictable, with all of the stock characters that I've endured countless times in the past. Then there's Oh my God so Beautiful most Beautifulest but tough but so model-gorgeous Templeton w ...more
Boong
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
สวนผสมของ Criminal Minds + NCIS และความเปนวิล เกรแฮม จาก Hannibal เลกๆ

เราเลือกเลมนีเพราะอยากอานนิยายสืบสวนทีพระเอกหมนๆอึมครึมๆ แตคุณพีวินเทอรแกกจะสาดแสงแรงกลาเกินไปหนอย
แตถาใครชอบพระเอกฉลาดๆ อวดเกงหนอยๆ กวนตีนนิดๆ และมีปมเลกๆ กนาจะหลงคุณพีวินเทอรไดอยูไมนอย
จริงๆแลว เรากชอบพีแกแหละ แตอยางทีบอก อารมณเราตอนนีอยากไดพระเอกสีหมนนะ คุณพีเลยยังไมเกิด

เราจะไมแปลกใจถาเลมนีเปนเลมแรกของคนเขียนคนนี
มันมีขอมูลหลายอยางทีใสมาตูมๆทือๆ บางตอนนีเหมือนไดอานจิตวิทยาอาชญกร 101 กันเลยทีเดียว
โดยรวมเรารูสึกวา ถึงขอมูลทีใหม
Lisa
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These 5 stars are for pure entertainment value certainly enhanced by listening on audio.
Jefferson Winter comes to life in this absorbing and exciting crime drama - he is an ex-FBI agent assisting on a nasty serial crime case in London England.
Ok, I'll admit it's a tad formulaic and nothing I haven't read before BUT Jefferson is awesome and the story was so well pulled together that the ring of familiarity was inconsequential.
I loved it! And I'm listening to the next one straight away as it's a
Book Madness (Elif)
Başrolümüz Jefferson Winter FBI’in Davranış Bilimleri’nin profil uzmanıdır. Emekliliğinde ara ara davalara bakar ama bunun için üç şartı vardır.
1. Odası süit olmalı.
2. Viskisi en az 12 yıllık olmalı.
3. Ve dava ilginç olmalı.
Jefferson 11 yaşındayken babasının 15 genç kadını ormanda avlayıp öldürdüğü ortaya çıkar ve babası idam edilir. Hayatı boyunca bir seri katilin oğlu olma yükünü taşır. Babasının ölürken söylediği son sözler şunlardır:
Biz ikimiz aynıyız.
Londra sokaklarında kurbanlarını sağ bır
Nathalie Bakelandt
Spannend en de titel is sprekend verbonden aan het verhaal! Zeker een aanrader in de sfeer van silence of the lambs klopt!
Tina Morgen [lebe.liebe.lese]
Ich fand es toll. Sicherlich gab es ein paar langatmige Szenen, doch gebe ich hier gern 5 Sterne. Der Schreibstil hat mich total mitgerissen und die Idee hinter der Geschichte war einfach gut.
Lynda Kelly
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
A bloody fantastic first book !! I loved it and an easy 5 stars for me !! AND it was free........can't go wrong on all counts. Really look forward to the sequel and more than happy to pay for it. (They ought to try that with freebies on Amazon. If you read it and it was tripe they credit your account with another free one, if you think it's terrific you pay at least 50p). I digress.....
An odd thing but with this book I let it go-were the Americanisms but they DID only crop up with Jackson himsel
Joe Stamber
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2014
Broken Dolls has received a lot of high ratings and good reviews and now I know why. James Carol has come up with a fascinating protagonist with Jefferson Winter, the son of an executed serial killer driven by his father's actions to hunt down killers himself. By the end of Broken Dolls, Winter had developed into a great character who almost every reader will want to ride with again.

Carol has delivered an excellent mystery/thriller that never lets up and is both disturbing and genuinely exciting
Yasoymama
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le doy un 10 a este libro...Me ha encantado. Me ha mantenido enganchada de principio a fin. Buenos personajes y buena historia. Creo que el Sr. Winter va a tener más vida que esta o al menos eso espero...En cuanto caiga otro libro de este autor ni me lo voy a pensar...
Katrin
Ich werde auf jeden Fall Band 2 lesen, wenn er rauskommt. Hab lange nicht mehr einen Ermittler so sympathisch gefunden.
Ceci Reinhardt
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popsugar-2019
PopSugar 2019 Reto # 34 Un libro con un título de dos palabras.

Vaya comienzo de año, mis primeras 5 estrellas y bien merecidas.
Leí en algunos comentarios que los giros de la trama son predecibles y la verdad, yo no me esperaba ninguno, madre mía que idas y venidas. Habia momentos que quería leer mas rápido para pasar el mal trago de algunos capítulos pendiente de las paginas que quedaban del libro para saber si lo que estaba pasando iba a pasar o no.
El personaje principal Jefferson Winter, me h
Liane
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het was een heerlijke thriller. Er gebeurde veel in korte tijd. Geen saaie stukken. Ik houd ervan.
Het verhaal miste alleen wat diepgang en daardoor leek het hier en daar wat afgeraffeld.
4 Sterren vond ik het zeker waard.
Zornitsa Rasim
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Просто прекрасна! Сюжет убиец :)
Carmina
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5* für einen tollen Auftakt der Reihe um den Profiler Jefferson Winter. Gestört hat mich eigentlich nur, dass seine Ahnungen und Schlüsse teilweise sehr überzogen und daher unrealistisch waren.
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Der Sarg
  • Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, #1)
  • Seelenangst (Clara Vidalis, #2)
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • Todesmärchen (Maarten S. Sneijder, #3)
  • Blood Guilt (Steel City #1)
  • Blinde Vögel (Beatrice Kaspary, #2)
  • Blood Mist (DCI Eve Clay, #1)
  • Alles muss versteckt sein
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • The Ice Cage
James Carol was born in Scotland in 1969, where he spent his early years. He moved to England in the eighties and has lived there ever since. At various times he has worked as a guitarist, sound engineer, guitar tutor, journalist, and a horse riding instructor.

The character of Jefferson Winter came about because he wanted to write a series of books that gave him as much freedom as possible. He fig

Jefferson Winter (4 books)
  • Watch Me (Jefferson Winter, #2)
  • Prey (Jefferson Winter, #3)
  • The Quiet Man (Jefferson Winter, #4)
“I’d been given the hard stare by men a lot more dangerous than Donald Cole, men who would cut you up before breakfast then eat your heart and liver for lunch, and laugh with glee while they were doing it.” 3 likes
“Siempre que tomamos una decisión crucial en nuestra vida hay un momento cumbre, un hecho lo bastante importante como para inclinar la balanza a un lado o a otro.” 0 likes