Start by marking “Music Box (Dollhouse, #4)” as Want to Read:
Music Box (Dollhouse, #4)

Music Box

(Dark Carousel #4)

Final book of the series.

Cassie endures her darkest days under the rule of Balthazar. She finds a passage into the high tower, and comes face to face with the shadowy being whose presence has haunted her since her first days at the castle of La Falaise – and she makes an immense and horrifying discovery.

At the museum, the last survivors of a bleak existence are barely hold
Nook, 285 pages
Published January 9th 2014 (first published January 4th 2014)

Anya Allyn
Jul 28, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It feels strange to have written the very last word of the Dollhouse Books - the very last word being 'again' (which has special significance and relates to the theme of all the books).

I've been blown away by the support and feedback from readers of these books. It's an amazing thing to me to have written something that has resonated in the way that it has.

The books began when I was sitting in the midst of the same forest that the books were initially set in (and that they return to). The chara
Brenda
Seventeen-year-old Cassie’s forced marriage to Monseigneur Balthazar Batiste, the centuries old ruler of the Castle, filled her with horror and revulsion. She followed on from the fifth bride, Etiennette, whose fate was the same as his previous brides. Cassie was determined to escape, but had no idea how she would – the Castle was high up on a cliff, surrounded by the crashing waves of the ocean, and whose depths contained the Empress Serpent.

For the three months of summer, Balthazar slept – Cas
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
These endless carousels
tell of love and every loss,
of every nuance of light and shade
Did you live your life as a masquerade?
Or live every second, every moment in bloom?
When the carnival closes and the music ends
you think it has all come too soon
But everything will come again,
like the phases of the moon.

I feel very divided on this last installment of the series. Dollhouse was by far my favorite, and in some ways this book reminded me of it. The castle was a good setting with plenty of creepy de
Evey
How come this is the last book?
HOW?
I still have questions. I still need more.
What is this?
I can't take it.

PS: a review? What's that?
Marjorie
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
The final book in the Dark Carousel series ends with a damp squibb rather than a fizzing rocket. Ultimately, nothing is resolved for Cassie, Ethan, Molly, Sophronia, Aisha or Francis and we are left in a limbo where everything looks doomed to repeat itself all over again. Whilst Music Box is not quite as disappointing as Marionette, it is a close call - this is quite possibly because so much time is expended on the Ice World and the Serpents when all I really want is the dark gothic tension of t ...more
Erin
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I just can't help but feel like each book in this series is from a different genre. The series, and this particular book, reads as though the author is trying to connect dreams in a dream journal that don't really have any connection.

That, and the lack of editing really just didn't work for me. I read it because I wanted to finish out the series I'd started (The first book was good! The second wasn't bad! The third was just weird but I was committed at that point) but I really don't feel like i
Jamie Stites
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....

I admit I was worried... A series this intense can't be easy to write an ending for. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. This ending was not at all what I expected but I was NOT disappoint by it in the least. I was on the edge of my seat for the biggest majority of this one. I mean the rest of the series was nerve wracking but this one kept me nervous the entire time. I loved it!!!! I can't wait to see what Anya Allyn will come up with for her next series. Excited to find out for sure
Hollow Well
Books 2 -4 are a single story unit (Story Units are now traded on the open market, you know). And so, for the set I am giving a rating of 4 stars. Mainly because there are a few flaws in the plot which I happily forgave thanks to the creativity of the story in general. Maybe the story was pushed out in a rush? It could have used an editor. Also, it got a bit YA for me at times. Regardless, I really enjoyed the imagination and the peril and the troubles our heroine encounters along the way. I'll ...more
Tanya Whitfield
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book. My heart is breaking. I don't know what to do with myself not that I've finished this series. It was so much better than I had originally expected it to be. The last book was fantastic. I just finished reading the end and I'm trying not to bawl my eyes out. As much as I wished this series had a different ending, I feel that it fits. A beautiful end to the roller coaster that is the dark carousel series.
Heather
I usually don't like when a reviewer rates a book "# and a half" but with Music Box I understand why it can be done. My actual rating of this would be 3.5 *. I didn't love this as much as the others but I certainly didn't hate it. I knew there had to be some pretty phenomenal ending for this series...especially if it was all supposed to make any sense. I definitely feel the author gave the answers needed.

The bad thing was I was getting confused with all the other planets and other selves. Then t
Deborah
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author has an incredible imagination, and her conclusion to The Dark Carousel series was another page turner. Overall, this was a gothic, dystopian, dark fantasy with New Age influences.

Unlike Book 3, Music Box hit the ground running, and barrelled through to the epilogue. The series reached its shattering climax, which suited this totally out there story.

I have enjoyed the story; however the reincarnation theme flowing through this final book was not my cup of tea. Even so, this author k
Anastacia
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cried. Yes I cried at the ending of this fabulous series. it was Beautiful yet mysterious at the same time. this goes to my number 1 favorite spot.
Christine
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-kindle-ebooks
its out..
Sophia
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can i change my mind?

So...I actually ended up loving this book although I have to admit the ending was nothing what I expected! It was a complete shock, I guess I wasn't expecting how many twists that came up but still it was a really good book and I really enjoyed reading this last one.
Lynn Crooke
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Not the ending I envisaged but totally hooked on this series. You really need to read them all within a short time frame otherwise you could lose the thread as a bit confusing sometimes and a lot of information to retain from previous stories. Overall I highly recommend these books.
Elyssa  Derka
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to a great series

I really like Anya's writing style especially how it changes ever so slightly from book to book. This is a great series and I am excited to read more of her books in the future!
Crys Nieto
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline

I started reading this expecting ghosts and demons, but never would've expected what I found. These books were an amazingly great read! I will read more of Anya's work.
Akshatha Hegde
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was kinda disappointed with the ending. Felt like the author got bored by this one
Ilene Carey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story, kept me wanting more.

Wish the story wasn’t over yet. Although it was good to see where the author saw the characters ending up.
Amanda Williams
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Perfect

I have loved reading this series so much. An absolutely stunning installment of a series that has fast become one of my favourites of all time.
Stephanie
Marsha  Bernabe
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Yes! Fabulous end to a great series. This book lost some of the creepy factor, but totally wrapped up the story in a fantastic way!
Megan Weiss
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
Alexandra Rolo
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
E é com Music Box que termina a história de Black Carousel (também conhecida como Dollhouse).
Cassie aguenta e sobrevive a longos meses sob as duras ordens de Balthazar. Enquanto ele "hiberna" consegue finalmente descobrir quem estava encerrado na torre mais alta do castelo a vigiar cada um dos seus passos. Finalmente compreendemos a importância de Cassie em toda a história e a luta interna que trava para se descobrir a si mesma no meio de tantas mentiras.
Temos também um regresso à casa de boneca
Ale96_CalS Paola
WTF DID I JUST READ?

Ok, I have to admit I wasn't expecting a cool happy ending, I could have lived with a THG kind of ending with everyone seriously brain damaged but this? Really?! Was it necessary to give us no fucking hope? I guess is the series, I wasn't never meant to have a normal ending but a twisted one, right?
That's the actual reason behind the four stars. (✴SPOILERS✴) So after all the shit Cassie had to go through, everything changes when that fucking bettlejuice sand worm appears talk
Gayle Noble
"A dark journey of the soul. A march toward the end of everything. A ride on the endless carousel.
Cassie endures her darkest days under the rule of Balthazar. She finds a passage into the high tower, and comes face to face with the shadowy being whose presence has haunted her since her first day the French castle. At the museum, the last survivors of a bleak existence are barely holding on. And the strange Order of Sister Celia makes a chilling decision."

It has certainly been a rollercoaster (o
Maryann Huber
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the last in this set, each one from start to finish will bring you on an adventure into realities that are fantasy yet, will leave you with the feeling of "what if". The author has managed to take a simple belief that we are all mirror images of different realities on multiple plains of existences, and put it into a tale. You will (if you allow yourself) come away in the end wondering how much of the tale is fact and how much is a dream within a dream. If you were one of the many that fe ...more
Emily Paterniti
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
The first book of this series was amazing. Read it in 3 hours, could not put it down. The second book while not as good as the first was still a great read. The third not so much, but I made myself finish it hoping if I stuck it out I would enjoy it. And now the final book I have to say I was extremely disappointed. From the first story to the final...it was one extreme to another, I felt like the dialogue and plotlines were all so forced and didn't flow together well. I felt like the author wen ...more
Ruth
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Finally done with the series, and while things got incredibly crazy by the end of it, it all still felt pretty true to the series as a whole. It kept the creepiness up, everyone had something to do by the end (some more than others, of course), and I thought everyone ultimately had the ending they were meant to have. It was a lot like that creepy ballet book I read last year in that sense: it wasn't exactly the happily-ever-after ending you keep hoping for, and yet it's completely true to t ...more
Soraya Bowie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series as a whole I would rate it five stars and I'm kind of sad that it has ended for me. The only reason I rated this four stars instead of five is because I felt myself being more scared and creeped out in the first two books than I did in the last two.

That was probably due to the fact that the story was picking up the pace and taking place in different worlds. Music Box did give me a good ending, I couldn't have predicted it even if I'd tried. I liked the twist and found it to b
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 14, 2015 12:40PM
  • The Sword of Demelza
  • Atancia (The Durand Duology, #1)
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • New Cthulhu 2: More Recent Weird (New Cthulhu #2)
  • Two Halves (Two Halves, #1)
  • Remember
  • Sleeping Dragon (Dragon Echoes #1)
  • Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1)
  • Into the Dark, Vol. 1 (Into the Dark, #1)
  • Chasing the Valley (Chasing the Valley #1)
  • Marty Boggs and the Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
  • Unreap My Heart (The Reaper Series #2)
  • The Spirit of Imagination (The Spirit Series Book 1)
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • Four Houses
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)

Dark Carousel (4 books)
  • Dollhouse (Dark Carousel #1)
  • Paper Dolls (Dark Carousel, #2)
  • Marionette (Dollhouse, #3)
“Things go round and round. Everything comes again. Until someone does something so differently that they change everything.” 1 likes
“Loss and gain, gain and loss. No one stayed forever and no one remained the same forever.” 0 likes