Start by marking “Stealing the Wind (Mermen of Ea #1)” as Want to Read:
Stealing the Wind (Mermen of Ea #1)

Stealing the Wind

(Mermen of Ea #1)

Taren Laxley has never known anything but life as a slave. When a lusty pirate kidnaps him and holds him prisoner on his ship, Taren embraces the chance to realize his dream of a seagoing life. Not only does the pirate captain offer him freedom in exchange for three years of labor and sexual servitude, but the pleasures Taren finds when he joins the captain and first mate ...more
Published August 12th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing the Wind

Stealing the Wind by Shira AnthonyBlood in the Water by Megan DerrLove Rising by Piper VaughnKraken by M. CaspianInto the Wind by Shira Anthony
Queer Merfolk
143 books — 176 voters
Stealing the Wind by Shira AnthonyÓmorphi by C. KennedyMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonMade to Forget... by Samantha LaFantasieThe King's Ransom by Devorah Fox
Cover Crush
131 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Stealing the Wind (Mermen of Ea #1)
Emma Sea
Smutty merman slave fic for the win!

No. Not a smutty merman slave fic. Not. Nuh uh.

I completely loved the first 14%. LOVED it.

"The leader leered at him. “Yer a right pretty one, boy.”

Oh, no, poor slaveboy being groped by debt collectors, tavern carousers, and one big strong pirate captain, armed with butter (butter?! what the hell, whatever works for that spontaneous fingering at the communal dining table, right?)

Woot!

Then, BAM! Why, at the opening of c
SheReadsALot
I didn't read the blurb...it's fucking mermen! Hello!

I'm fucking there!

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Guys. Julie and I read this on a whim after coming across it while doing research for the smutty book club, and omg. In terms of a smutty/erotic novel, this actually had a relatively decent plot. This was glorious. Most surprising read of 2017 for sure 😂
Meags
4 Stars

Taren Laxley is an orphaned slave whose whole life changes when he gets kidnapped by pirates. Captain Rider is enticing as all get-out, so when he offers Taren his freedom in exchange for three years of servitude upon the Sea Witch, Taren is quick to accept, even knowing his new service includes sharing a bed with the captain and his lover, Bastian.

For two years Taren lives well and good, thriving aboard the Sea Witch. He works hard by day, becoming a skilled sailor in his own right, while shari
Ingie
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Gina
Written May 10, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - A delightful romantic adventure story - heartwarming and interesting all the way

Lapping waves and bubbles - I want to be there. Gina LOVED it (Gina's 5 star "OMG"-review) and then I had to read it as well. ~ Thank you for that surprising mail, lovely!

I want my own Merman to be able to swim along with around a beautiful coral reef. This was a wonderful story and I have to find time for book # 2 as s2014
Barbara➰
You know how sometimes you find a book that just works...one that has things in it that would normally have you hitting your head against a brick wall and throwing something like your iPad maybe? Well this was that book for me. Despite it all, I could not stop reading. It kept me engaged and enthralled the entire time. From page one I was hooked. The writing was amazing. The setting and characters, all of it interesting and beautiful.

This is the story of Taren and Ian. Both of the sa
Shin Mon Thway
I’m sorry if this review sounds offensive but you know a book is not for you and meh when you are like ”Is it going to finish soon? Why is it taking too long to finish?” and checking page count and how many percent left to finish reading it. Literally, from 75% to 100% .. it took me 3 Days. 😂 So .. yeah .. you get the picture.

I don’t even know how to describe the characters because there are too many unknown factors. Until 75-80% of the story, both MCs were not able to figure out their feelings. And ev
☆ Todd
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved Taren and Bastian. Ian came across as a little too insecure most of the time where Taren was concerned, but whatever.

What I really like about this book was that it did *not* completely dilute the storyline with gratuitous sex scenes as page fillers. The last book that I read was about 90% "God, they're doing it AGAIN". Not to authors: That gets really old.

It was very cool how the book starts out with you kind of thinking that the bad guys are the power-
Shira Anthony
The first installment in my Mermen of Ea Series. The series focuses on the Taren/Ian pairing and continues over the books (3 planned):

1) Stealing the Wind
2) Into the Wind, and
3) Running with the Wind (tentative publication Spring, 2015)

The second book in the series was released on May 5, 2014, and takes up Ian and Taren's adventure where book one leaves off. You'll meet a new character in book two, Into the Wind, who will play a major role in the story and will hav
Lorraine Lesar
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I was so excited. My first buddy-read with the incorrigible Shin. Pirates and sexy tails. What could possibly go wrong?
Well actually from the 3* rating you can see that it wasn't full sails ahead on calm seas with a hold full of illicit booty and pirates ready to plunder, we hit turbulent seas and it slowed down this reading journey - considerably.
It started so very well, I was hooked. The author had just the right bait to entice and play with me. Pirates is good, Merman even better. Not
Eugenia
3.5 Stars.

At first, I wasn’t sure how well I would enjoy this mermance (is that even a word? It should be). At first, it felt like an old school bodice ripper with OTT language, but soon the language settled down (or I got used to it). It was then that I was able to pay more attention to the story rather than the mechanics of the book.

I liked it. I dug the human sex and the underwater mersex. There was a fantastic cherry popping scene early on in the book that was, frankly, specta
Deeze
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deeze by: Fadia Pierre
If you are looking for an adventure on the high seas but with an extra kick then this could well be the book for you.

This story is far more complex than it at first seems.

Taren is a plain simple young boy that hides a deep mystery. Watching him grow and seeing glimpses of things to come kept me intrigued.

I admit I wasn't a fan of the start with Rider and Bastian, but after getting past that I grew to love both men and in a way was even sorry when I reali
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Believe it or not I'm not real big on shifters for the most part. I read them - but I don't necessarily seek them out. Not sure what caught my eye on this - but most likely the fact Taren was a slave (you know I canna' resist a good slave story!) and boy is this book so much more than you think. I didn't find it confusing at all - I thought the development was just right. There is really no hero here - just men or, er, part men anyway. Men who do good things, honorable things. Men who do not. No ...more
Margo - this job thing really screws up my ability to read/review
Summary
Stealing the Wind by Shira Anthony is the story of a slave boy's journey to manhood and the discovery of his hidden heritage. There are lots of allusions to great destiny, history, and sinister intentions, but the build up is shallow and incomplete. The plot has a lot of random elements which are strung together choppily. The romance isn't satisfying, and neither are the mermen shifters. Their world just doesn't come across the page well enough to make me feel like I'm swimming along the reef
Helle
Susan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
I can see why people like this book, it just wasn’t for me.

Taren is sold to a tavern when he is around 18. He is not happy there, but is ‘rescued’ (read: kidnapped) by Rider, the captain of the Sea Witch. Rider has taken him to join him and his lover, Bastian, in their bed. Of course Taren is fine with that (I would so have a problem with this after being kidnapped, but okay).

When Taren gets lost at sea after a heavy storm, he gets rescued by Ian, Captain of the Phantom. It is there that Taren learns what he is,
Kim
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an enjoyable book! The world-building is wonderful. I loved the characters--not just Taren and Ian, but the secondary characters as well. Plus, pirates, mermen, magic... what's not to love about that? I was sorry when this story ended and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Vishous
This was my first mermen book! Actually I think this was my first mermaid/mermen book (I don't count Ariel in this)!!!! Maybe I forgot about reading one but then how could I forget mermen having sex or mermaids having sex.

I so enjoyed reading this story!!!! I loved the world that was created! I loved the writing style! I loved all the characters except the ones I wanted to torture and inflict so much pain that they die (talking about Seria here)!!!!!!

Taren (Oh god how I love you),

2. Hot Pirates?

Hell, yeah. Check

3. Lots of M/M sex??

Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Believe it or not (and I can't), this is the first book I've read by Shira Anthony. I have several and there are many of her books that I've really wanted to read, but somehow never found the time to. So when I saw this on the Dreamspinner Coming Soon page I made sure that I made room for it in my schedule. It wouldn't only be a chance to try out this author, but also a book about mermen! Just like unicorns, I'm really an 8 year
Sammy Goode
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must tell you I never read menage, not if it can be helped, and quite frankly the triple M that often accompanies the description of this novel put me off taking it on for review for quite some time. I am ever so glad I gave in and ignored my own misgivings because Stealing the WInd by Shira Anthony is a superb read and the scenes between the three men in the first 15 percent of the book are extremely well done. Really, it was just lovely to read!

The plot to this novel is very, ver
Gina
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!
OMG OMG OMG!!!! This book has plastered a smile on my face that has lasted all day long! I am here to tell you my fellow fantasy loving readers you gotta READ THIS BOOK!!!

First thing though is a confession, I have had this book sitting on my Kindle forever….why was I so stupid!! I read this book in a day, I simply started in the morning and skipped breakfast, I ignored email alerts, tweets and my dog! Fantasy books should take you away, they should grab you and plunge you headfirst into their world. I will
Sandra
I haven't read any mer-shifter books previously, so I was excited to try this one. I really liked the first half or so, and while I didn't dislike the second half, it fizzled out a little bit for me.

The first half consists of us meeting Taren briefly as young slave boy, then as young slave man, then as the companion and lover to Pirate captain Ryder and Ryder's boyfriend Bastian. I don't usually read menage books, but I was perfectly fine with this. Both the reader and the characters
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

I am a HUGE Shira Anthony fan. She is an auto-buy for me. I love her writing and adore her stories. I was, however, a little skeptical about this book. Mermen? I dunno.....

Well, Mermen are hot. The world SA created was interesting and the people likeable. So why not more stars? Ian. I had a hard time connecting with him. He seemed cold and aloof. I couldn't (still haven't) forgiven him for (view spoiler) ...more
Duck
Two words people: MERMAN SEX.

This was awesome. It's one of those that you can't stop. I was pulled in almost immediately and I couldn't put it down. The sex is crazy hot but that is only one aspect of the story. I felt the author did a great job in balancing hot scenes with the action and plot.

If you are looking for something that stands out in the m/m genre, I highly recommend this one. Shape shifting mermen AND sexy pirates?

brad
Macky
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Macky by: Gina
WHY HAVE I NOT READ THIS AMAZING BOOK BEFORE ?!? TRULY AWESOME. REVIEW TO FOLLOW.
THANK YOU GINA FOR THIS RECCOMEND. **HAPPY MERMAN SMILES!!!** LOVE THIS. <3
Julie Zantopoulos
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017, library
Researching books for our sexy reads book club and come across a m/m merman story...you better believe I read it. Surprisingly well written for erotica with a pretty richly woven fantasy and mermaid mythology driven plot.
Lena Grey
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“It's always ourselves we find in the sea.” ~ E.E. Cummings
Taren Laxley believed for years that his parents sold him into slavery. Little did he know that he wasn't cast aside at all; he's not an ordinary boy either, but a member of a magnificent race humans call merfolk. When he finally discovers the truth, he scrambles to accept his genuine self and learn as much about his people as he can so he can take his rightful place with them.

Taren is charming, responsible, kind, and l
Paisley
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! And here is why...

It was a crazy, kick ass ride into a strange world of mermen and pirates and all sorts of weird shit. The story is not quick - there is a lot of stuff that happens and it makes your head swim a bit. Then more stuff happens that makes you go huh? And then more stuff happens that makes you go WTF? And finally, more stuff happens that is pretty cool.

So, it's probably not for everyone...

There is shifter sex, three way sex, torture, mean guys, hot sea captains, sleazy tavern
Aisling Mancy
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret that I love to read fantasy and Shira Anthony's new Mermen of Ea series is right up my... er, alley. Nothing short of imagination candy, Shira Anthony weaves a rich, multi-layered, sexy tale of fancy, mystery, and legend on the high seas that will steal your breath away! Wonderful and full of intrigue, Stealing the Wind tells the poignant tale of a young man’s capture and self-discovery in the mysteries of himself and the deep blue sea. Even if you're not into fantasy, this story ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Transformation (The Merman, #1)
  • Restless Spirits (Spirits, #1)
  • Kick at the Darkness (Kick at the Darkness, #1)
  • Prince for Sale (Thrall Prince #1)
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Acceptance (The Mermen, #2)
  • Omega from the Ocean
  • Caller (The Mermen, #3)
  • Machine Metal Magic (Mind + Machine, #1)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Gaven (Gaven, #1)
  • Dominion (Gods and Slaves, #1)
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • That Alien Feeling (Calluvia's Royalty, #1)
  • Undersea (The Mermen, #4)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • NoX
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
Shira Anthony is a complete sucker for a happily-ever-after, and rarely reads or writes a story without one. Never a fan of instalove, Shira likes to write stories about real men with real issues making real relationships work.

In her last incarnation, Shira was a professional opera singer, performing roles in such operas as “Tosca,” “Pagliacci,” and “La Traviata,” among others. Her Blue Notes Ser

Mermen of Ea (3 books)
  • Into the Wind (Mermen of Ea, #2)
  • Running with the Wind (Mermen of Ea, #3)
“If he was to be treated no better than an animal, he would at least learn the limits of his cage.” 3 likes