Start by marking “Only Between Us (Starving Artists, #1)” as Want to Read:
Only Between Us (Starving Artists, #1)

Only Between Us

(Starving Artists #1)

Last semester, Romy escaped from an abusive relationship with the guy she’d thought was the man of her dreams. This semester she’s putting herself back together, determined to reclaim her passion for art and for life. When she signs up for a painting class at the local art co-op, the possibility of passion becomes very real -- in the form of her teacher, Caleb. Both myster ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Mila Ferrera Books (first published September 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Only Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Between Us

Annika
description

Review 11/2017

Not quite as madly in love with this anymore as when I read it for the first time almost three years back, but I still really, really, really liked it.

Such an emotionally charged story with wonderful characters and a romance so heartfelt it melted my insides.
I'm not usually big on overly sweet heroines (as more often than not, "sweet" equals "spineless" in romance books) but Romy, paired with a gentle, sensitive soul like Caleb, was a perfect fit.
I loved those two together and th
-ya
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I usually rely on my GR friends reviews and decide if I want to spend time reading the book. In this case, I scroll down to check my friends status and find no reviews! Duh...I was asking myself "Do I want to be a hero??" ...So I did apparently:).

This book doesn't have
~whiny heroine
~typical alpha guys that dominate in NA romance
~love triangle
~cheating
~miscommunication
~soapy drama
~drunk in the party

Cool...

Romy is trying to rebuild her life. She is strong and kind. Caleb is a struggling, yet ver
Patrycja
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2013

Only between us is about Romy who escaped from terrible, toxic relationship, that changed her life and destroyed vital parts of it. Now, she has to pick up the pieces of life that Alex had stolen her. Little by little and step by step Romy comes back to the things that were a part of her, before Alex. With help of her friends, Romy finishes her degree and for the first time in very long time starts to paint.

Romy is strong and kind character, there isn’t a whiney bone in her, which made me like
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
DNF

Stopped at 39%. Caleb is a pathetic character. I pitied him and the awful circumstances he was in, but gosh, what.a.doormat. Both of his sisters treated him like crap and he took it.

Romy. Hmmmm so when you've been physically abused by your ex, it must be custom to throw your legs open to the first guy you're attracted to.

Very little student-teacher business going on anyway. Theme wasn't emphasized in the book, but advertised in the blurb.

This is another one of those "I CAN'T.

Anu CN
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW!
There is so much I want to say about this book. But I find it so difficult to formulate it into words.

After a series of books trying to cash in on abuse and trauma, we finally get to read about the collateral damage.
Caleb is exactly that.
The collateral damage of what happened to Katie.
And his story is heart wrenching, if anything it is worse than Katie's.
Although he wasn't directly involved,he was equally victimized and its liberating to get a fresh take or to view or comprehend abuse from d
J
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A 4.5 star read, as close to 5 stars as possible with not actually being 5 stars. This is the story of Caleb and Romy. Caleb is an artist, trying to scrape by all the while trying to take care of his traumatized sister (who was molested by a step father for many years) and Caleb feeling so guilty for not stopping the abuse sooner (Caleb lived in the same house where the abuse took place and surmised what was going on but didn't say anything). At one point, Caleb is selling his body (to a rich ar ...more
Elodie
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
OH MY GOD that was so perfect! Perfect writing, perfect characters, perfect love story, perfect ending, perfect EVERYTHING. I wish Caleb and Romy's story would go on forever so I could keep reading about them! I think Only Between Us is, so far, my farovite book this year!!
And I found my new book boyfriend... Caleb ❤

"You don't understand. I don't think you're beautiful. You are."

"Out of difficulties grow miracles."
Jessica
Man, this was kind of depressing. My heart broke for Caleb and his family really drove me up the wall. Bunch of assholes.

Besides Caleb, Daniel was one of my favorite characters. I’d read his book.
Beeg Panda
Lovely stuff. Lots of worthiness here: The author, the hero and the heroine.

The writing is spot on - the serious topics are well researched - enough to make me care about checking to see if the author has experience in the field she writes about here. I'm not surprised to learn that the author studied Psychology.

I enjoyed her writing style. An edited book is always welcome in my reading pile - its supposed to be the norm but unfortunately, nowadays an fully edited book is few and far between in
Georgette
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this book but the ending was too cliche and boring.
Ellie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim
I’m on the verge of calling my therapist after reading this. I’m not saying it was that bad but it really was that depressing.

Caleb is such a sweet and caring guy who lets his entire family walk all over him. He spends 80% of his time taking care of his bitch of a sister Katie who tells lies about him, calls him all kinds of horrible names and blames every single bad thing that happens to her on him.

The rest of his family tries to take as little responsability as possible as far Katie goes and
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So much New Adult focuses on two broken people finding love and acceptance in each other, but I honestly don't think many of the books do it well. Only Between Us is a book where I believed in the pain of the main characters, and I could truly feel their emotions. Both characters had things they were dealing with, and that made up a large portion of the book, but they also felt like real individuals with full lives: their issues didn't encompass them.

I really loved both characters, and I especia
Myrza H Darmaditya
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
THIS BOOK... COMPLETELY INSANE!

Well this morning I found myself in a mood for romance book and I'm GLAD I read this one!
This book completely sucked me in from the first page. The writing style is very gooood.. I literally cried and feel so messed up, I don't know, but I can feel the pain that the main characters feel. The characters feels so real and deep. I'm falling in love both of them. Their past is so dark, especially for Caleb. That such heavy and nightmarish issues!

And DAMN! I need the ep
Justine Dell
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mila has some wonderfully broken and lovable characters. Enter Romy and Caleb, who both have deep-seeded issues. Romy with relationships and Caleb with his family.

Having characters that have meat to them is something I love to see, especially in NA and YA. And these characters do. Stories that are not only about romance, but about life, and how people overcome the struggles of it. True stories. REAL stories.

From SPIRAL to ONLY BETWEEN US, Mila knows how to weave a perfectly complex and engaging
Christina
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!

I especially loved that the characters were honest and real and didn't play games.

They just wanted to be together but heartbreaking circumstances kept getting in the way.

Caleb was such a beautiful soul (and sexy as HELL) and I so wanted him to find his own happiness in the end.

I highly recommend this sexy, sweet, honest and charming book!
Midwest Galley Girl
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and others at MIDWEST GALLEY GIRL.

Only Between Us

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

People can mean well, but when one person's good intentions overlap with other people's good intentions, unintended consequences can be detrimental.

Welcome to ONLY BETWEEN US.

More amazing realistic New Adult fiction from Mila Ferrera, ONLY BETWEEN US chronicles the lives of Romy, a graduate student, and Caleb, an artist. Ferrera writes Happily Ever Afters
Lynn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I expected a romance novel. What I received is, a book jam-packed with details. Too many details. Sorry, but I don't need to know about every cracked tile, or every item that is in a room. While I like some details, too much ruins it, and then it becomes filler.
Don't get me started on the art speech. The story went overboard with talk, and details about artist, describing every little detail, what's in the painting, when they flip the pages, etc. Every picture they look at is described with an
Sara
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected. I really liked Caleb and Romy. At one point it looked like it was going to be similar to Price of a Kiss but it went a different direction.
Caleb is an amazing human being. Strong, giving, heroic, and caring. It's too bad nobody was any of these things to him growing up. He should've been an angry jaded asshole and you wouldn't blame him. But he was the opposite. He was left to care for his 22 year old sister Katie. Oh Katie. She's a hot mess. Understandably so but I felt pi
Kristina
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is the first book I have read from Mila Ferrera, and it definitely won't be the last! Only Between Us is a wonderfully written story with an engaging plot and beautiful characters.

To find the person she once was, Romy signs up for painting classes. This is where she meets Caleb, her painting teacher. From the first moment they met, there is a hot and undeniable connection between the two. They are both so beautifully broken and my heart broke for them.

I loved Romy from the first pa
K.M. Galvin
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From http://pagetrotter.blogspot.com

Awwww, man! This book broke my heart. Caleb is such a beautiful person inside and out. I really felt for him and understood his struggle between Romy and the other side of his life. My God, what a position to be in. And if his mother was a real person I would slap the SHIT out of her. His older sister is a brat for most of the book, but when she learns the ugly truth she turns around so I forgive her for making my Caleb's life harder.

I love Romy. She's damage
Alysse Marie
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was hooked from the first page and could not put it down. The main characters were refreshing - strong, honest and real. The supporting characters were loveable and I can't wait to read Daniel's story.

My Casting for:

ROMY
 photo jessicastroup-kitson-photos-10232008-06-435x580_zpsa93ea7cd.jpg

CALEB
 photo f324625125b9597dcb4b383da0d44755_zps2a9a1a9d.jpg

Favourite Quotes:

I don't have the words... but I can draw you a picture.

Review:
Genre - New Adult/Romance/College
Point of View - Dual Perspective
Main Characters - Romy & Caleb
Romance - Sweet/Steamy
Cliffhanger - None/Standalone

Heather andrews
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The reason I wanted to read this book was the cover, I have no shame when I keep always mentioning if you have a pretty cover I'll sure as hell will read your book. Sometimes it's good when Caleb has to set things straight, we don't want to get confused on certain things, "no, definitely not my boyfriend. First, I'm straight, and second, I'm single." Romy is a no nonsense girl, she doesn't like being led on, "you could have been up front about this being your space," she says. "The game-playing ...more
Marlene
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
3.50
My only complaint is that I wish it was longer.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Heart Compassion Wisdom Love Life Pain Sorrow

This may have been only between Romy and Caleb but there were many others that had an affect on their chance at having happiness .

Romy and Caleb both had a past that ut shadows in their eyes and caution intheir lives, but for different reasons. romy was back on the mend froma relationship that had rocked her life and chnaged who she was. There was something there in their first meeting. There was sizzle in the air. Jude could almost pick up on it. Th
Jeannine Allison
WOW. This was incredible! How the hell had I never heard of it?! And why is the rating so low? Honestly it was perfect for me, and I kept waiting for it to let me down but that never happened. From the first line all the way through to the last line...

description

There are so many things to love and appreciate in this book but honestly for me it comes down to the two MCs. This was a true romance, because while there are scenes with other people it always comes back to them and I just loved both of them.

- Ro
Talltree
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-ya-na
I loved this book. The h was just great.
But TBH I didn't know whether to hug or beat the H. The H was a sensitive artist type plus a cliche stuggling one. He was a product of the foster system and his own family( from whom he had been taken, the reason being horrible) were terrible to him, they belittled him, used him, bad-mouthed him, his sister even was violent to him. Honestly I wanted his family to DIE, they used him as a whipping boy. What surprised me and upset me was the H kept taking it
Quirks
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I expected what you usually find in Adult Romance novels. But this book has a lot more heart to it and wasn't nearly as focused on sex.

The book follows Romy who, after surviving an abusive relationship, is trying to get her life back. She joins a painting class for this reason. There she meets Caleb and feels a kinship with him because of his paintings. But Caleb has problems of his own and if he and Romy want a future, they will have to battl
Annia Lennox (DaydreamingThroughBooks)
4.5 Stars

I've been wanting to read this since I read Everything Between Us. And I''m so glad I did. I put Mila Ferrera with Megan Erikson in that she writes slightly different New Adult. Plus, dual POV always helps.

Going in I thought I would immediately connect with Romy, but Caleb was the character that really got me. I do like Romy and would get emotional (read: teary) when she struggled with her past. And her struggle felt real. I love that she has to battle being vulnerable and trusting he
Laura Wilson
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVED this book!! It was worth every penny I paid. I rate this five huge stars.

Before I even began this book I knew I would love it. It's exactly my kind of read.

I loved the two main characters, Caleb and Romy.
I really felt for Caleb and what he had to go through due to what happened to his sister, Katie. She was totally unfair to him at times and he was filled with unnecessary guilt and blame what what happened to their family years ago.
If anything, he saved Katie and his family were
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aussie Readers: 2 eBOOK Giveaways! 2 20 Sep 11, 2013 12:45AM
Reviewers United: 2 eBook GIVEAWAYS! - New Adult Novels 1 5 Sep 10, 2013 10:32PM
YA/NA FANATICS: 2 eBook Giveaways! - New Adult 1 7 Sep 10, 2013 10:31PM

• Black Hurricane (Boston Boys, #3)
  • Last Man Standing (Southern Scrimmage, #5)
  • Love and the Real Boy (Coming About #2)
  • Blindness
  • This Love (University of Branton, #1)
  • A Long Time Coming (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Brave & Beautiful (Sassy Boyz, #3)
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • Lily of the Valley (Flowering, #1.5)
  • Limits (Silver Strand, #3)
  • Wicked Thing
  • Playing by Heart (Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll, #1)
  • How It Rolls (Love and Skate, #2)
  • Death of a Rock Star (The Boy in the Band, #0.5)
  • Finding Grace
  • Resistance
  • Redesigned (Off the Subject, #2)
  • The Mistress Mistake
Mila Ferrera lives in New England, where she has a family and a job and does various normal, everyday things, all while plotting novels in her head. She has a passion for writing new adult/adult romance featuring psychological twists and tortured heroes. Her own psychology internship involved plenty of consultation, but alas, no sexy Swedish doctors, and her decision to make one up is what sparked ...more

Starving Artists (3 books)
  • Everything Between Us (Starving Artists, #2)
  • Anything Between Us (Starving Artists, #3)