Start by marking “Trusting the Currents” as Want to Read:
Trusting the Currents

Read Excerpt

Trusting the Currents

Some moments change everything you become.

Author Lynnda Pollio’s life as a busy New Yorker abruptly changes when she unexpectedly hears the mystical, elderly voice of Addie Mae Aubrey, a Southern, African American woman. Her first words, “It’s not what happened to me that matters,” begin a spirited remembering of Addie Mae’s teenage years in the late 1930s rural south and
Published November 15th 2013 by SageHeart Media (first published October 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Trusting the Currents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trusting the Currents

Nikki
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I should start by saying that I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. And, I am so glad that I did!

This book was a total delight and I want to read it all over again. I don't think it right for me to give a review of the storyline, as I don't want to steal anyone's joy as they read the book. But, do yourself a favor, read this book and experience what I think was pure magic!

Lynnda Pollio - Thank you for giving readers such a wonderful book to read!
Tabitha Vohn
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-brow
This novel was straight soul food! I am so excited to tell you about it. It's like nothing I've ever read before in fictional form.

Trusting the Currents is a brilliantly conceived novel in which the author channeled the spirit of her character onto the page. And what a beautiful story she had to tell! Addie Mae is struggling to find herself in a way that I think all women could relate to: how to separate what the heart wants from what the soul is destined for, how to let go of the ones we love
Daydreamer
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is unusual but exciting. The ending is open in a certain way but then again not so much. I have to admit that I was pretty sceptical towards this book at first, because I don’t really read that kind of genre usually. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and recommend it to my friends.
There are no clichés and the story is told effortlessly. The plot is very emotional, so keep the tissues ready.
Sometimes the plot is a bit slow but never really boring.
The characters are amazing and
Shala
Jul 09, 2017 added it
DNF on page 107. Not my kind of book. Writing isn't bad, just not my kind of story.
Rosie Amber
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trusting The Currents is a form of conscious storytelling. It is the story of two women: Lynnda Pollio who reached a point in her life when she was ready for a spiritual journey, and Addie Mae, a Southern African-American woman who chose to speak about her own teenage life through Lynnda.

‘Then, one afternoon, Addie Mae laughed, and every plan I had entertained evaporated.’

At a time when many are awakening to their own spiritual paths, Addie Mae’s story will resonate with those ready to hear her
A. Aaroones)
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trusting the Currents is a remarkable novel. It was originally sent to me by Lynnda Pollio for consideration in my Go Indie Now! Bibliotherapy Box, and I immediately knew that the book would change my life. Through this book Pollio has created a new genre of Visionary Fiction, and embedded in the writing are energetic frequencies that help to expand the reader's consciousness. Reading a novel should always be an experience, and Pollio's writing has taken it to the next level.

I connected with Add
Savannah Peterson
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was incredibly moved by Trusting the Currents- Addie Mae represents the spirit in all of us. The whisper in our soul, driving us to push beyond our realms of comfort. Our heart breaks with her many times throughout the story, and like many "classic" narratives before it, it is discretely, then quite epically stitched back together as the story reveals its final lessons. Addie Mae wasn't looking for answers and neither should we, she was looking for her confidence to grow enough to take that fi ...more
Sue
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Addie Mae will speak to you as she does to everyone who embraces this life altering novel. Addie Mae's story transforms the reader by making us see our lives in her rich tapestry of self awakening so beautifully written and paced by Lynnda Pollio. The reader longs for more and for the story to continue in our own lives. Genuine inspiration that is timeless and thought provoking is worth everyone's time and devotion to its characters and deep meaning. I rank it along side The Alchemist as one of ...more
Susan Weintrob
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part internal monologue, part mystical, part coming of age story. Well written and crafted, the path to wisdom is found in family, in crisis and in communicating with nature. A pleasure to read and savor.
Indiebrag
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that TRUSTING THE CURRENTS by Lynnda Pollio is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Rebecca Murphy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the most moving, amazing books I have ever read. Addie Mae will touch your heart and teach you, and move you to tears with the power of her words. Bravo!
Steph Warren
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

A story within a story, Trusting the Currents begins and ends with Lynda Pollio at a tipping point in her life but the main focus and heart of the story is Addie Mae and her tale of learning, growing and opening oneself to the world.

Addie Mae’s story of family, love, and leaving the nest is simply told and full of warmth and life. In the Aubrey family tree, Addie Mae’s mother is both the roots and trunk, nou
Debra Denker
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this inspiring, heart-lifting book about overcoming adversity through trust in guidance from the “Invisibles.” I felt like I knew the character of the young narrator, Addie Mae, and her wild, fierce, and gentle cousin Jenny, who comes to live with Addie Mae’s family. “Trusting the Currents” is a parable of two young African-American women coming of age against great odds. Jenny’s magical connection with Nature combines with the love of books that Addie Mae learns from a special teacher, ...more
Marianne Reese
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There aren’t very many books that I read that cause me to pause and reflect on my own life, but this book did. There is so much about this wonderfully written book that is thought provoking. For anyone not sure about what path to take in life, this story may be the nudge needed to move them forward.

The story flows beautifully and I found it easy to latch on to the characters. Each character is described in a fashion true to life, and easy to like, hate, or relate to.

I really enjoyed this read, a
Helen DiFalco
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Andrea Stoeckel
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea where I might be going when I opened this book. I had been drawn to it by the cover picture of the dragonfly, to me a great symbol of wisdom. The author, Lynnda Pollio, invites into the magic of change on a cellular level. My understanding of magic is that change of perception that happens even if we are unaware of it until something changes with and within our understanding.

Now, I could get all Jungian and talk about symbolism in water and wind and light, but that is for another t
Tanisha
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed and needed this book. They say there are no coincidences in life and I truly believe that. I was going through my own relationship woes and ended up finding this website because I was looking for a free book,(due to my truly lacking funds status)that could take my mind off of things. I was trying to let go of a 8 year relationship that just did not seem meant to be. I found Trusting the Currents. Reading the description made me feel like this book was for me and entered the conte ...more
Billy Buttons
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Trusting the Currents

Style: 7/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 8/10

Of the 19 readers:
13 would read another book by this author.
10 thought the cover was excellent.
7 thought the setting was the best part of the book.
6 felt the writing style was a little slow in parts.
12 enjoyed the ending.

Readers’ Comments
‘This is a very rich
Peter Parr
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't own many books. Once I've read a novel, even if I enjoyed it, I tend to give it away. It's rare that I hang on to fiction books to read again. Trusting the Currents is different. It's a story with believable characters, evocative descriptions and an authentic narrative voice which drew me in to Addie Mae's world and kept me up until late at night turning the pages. But it's more than that too. There's a depth about this book that makes me want to read it a second time - more slowly - to ...more
Michael Haupt
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysics
A much needed, consciousness-raising, beautifully written modern day parable.

It has been said that a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning. Sages through the ages frequently used parables as a means of illustrating profound, not easily understood, universal truths.

I've personally long embraced intuition and coincidences as natural phenomena, but could never easily explain why. Lynnda Pollio can. She has a divine gift of being able to make deep, universal truths resonate with the co
Jon Mertz
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read. Lynnda Pollio writes in a way that truly speaks to our soul. She takes us deep into the characters in the story and calls us to think and possibly change the path we are on. Through Addie Mae, we learn more than the words written can say.

If you enjoy reading books, then this one will speak to you. If you enjoy being captured by an engaging, troubling story, then this one will speak to you. If you want to understand how characters in a story can change lives (good and ba
Joanne Tombrakos
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
t's rare that a story transports and transforms. Equally rare when you find yourself racing to find out how it will all turn out at the same time you never want the story to end. But that's what happens in Trusting the Currents. The author calls the story of Addie Mae Aubrey a "new genre of conscious storytelling." I call it brilliant and a highly recommended read!

A more detailed review can be found on my blog http://onewomanseye.blogspot.com/2014...
Alexandra  Folz
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant! I can't say enough about the wisdom that unfolds and the potential that sparks within. You'll find yourself at "home," and at the same time, you'll travel with Addie Mae to the outskirts of soul. While she reveals herself to you, you can't help but uncover unfamiliar thread of your own existence. If you revel in the beauty of love, the mystery of spirit, the courage of soul, and the alchemy of relationship...Read. This. Book.
Erika
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good story, but I found it a little long-winded. I skipped over some of the portions of the book that felt like messages to the reader. But the book is not heavy-handed, and it was easy to enjoy, in spite of being a bit message-y.
Awesome Indies Reviewers
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most beautiful one I have read in a very long time. Not only is it equisitely written but also there is a wealth of real wisdom in its pages. The very act of reading it is somewhat akin to a spiritual experience.
Sarah Elliott
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book: Jenny was my favorite character and the different voices really rang true for me.
I was particularly drawn in by the first few chapters and found the book hard to put down.
Some of the writing is really beautiful....
Ayelet
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Trusting the Currents again and got so much wisdom from it. This is a story for our souls. It touches your very essence and makes you feel deeply about life. So grateful for it that my mantra in life now is trusting the currents.
Luminousity
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book - the depth and flow of this story make it gorgeous to read. I would love to see more from this author.
Jackie
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a little wordy, I believe some editing would be beneficial. The story itself is heart warming but a little too preachy for my taste. Worth the read...give it a try.
Robert Yang
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Laughter, Tears and Braids: A father's journey through losing his wife to cancer
  • Personal Jesus
  • The Town That Never Stared
  • Pinch and Dash Make Soup
  • Sweet Talkers Words from the Mouth of a Pay-to-Say Girl
  • Courage Under Fire
I never expected to be a writer until I heard the mystical voice of Addie Mae Aubrey, a Southern, African-American woman asking me to tell her story. Together we shared an amazing journey through space and time that transformed my life forever. Trusting the Currents has won 12 literary awards and continues to find readers who will resonate with its wisdom and guidance.

Born in rural New Jersey, I
“Sometimes the only hope that exists is the one we create for ourselves.” 2 likes
“I figured we really shouldn’t grieve for those who leave us for God. They’ve arrived at their destinations with lucky souls no longer burdened by our piddling human considerations. It may seem cruel when they die so young or so beautiful or so loved. Cry not for them, for the life not lived. Cry only for your own hurt in missing them. That’s the only true loss. And in those sad moments when you remember a touch, or catch them watching from the corner of your eye, understand they left you with a lesson. Everyone who touches your life teaches you something important you’re meant to learn. Somehow their visit here pushed your own soul along its path. Learning that lesson is the best way you can honor them.” 1 likes