Start by marking “Challenging Fate” as Want to Read:
Challenging Fate

Challenging Fate

Maki waited years to discover what dragon spirit the fates gifted him with. He anticipated his first flight, his parents at his side, as he launched himself into the sky for the first time. Best of all, one day he'd find his mate and spend the rest of his life with someone by his side. Unfortunately for him, things didn't go exactly as he'd always planned.
Published July 10th 2013 by Renee Stevens

To ask other readers questions about Challenging Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Challenging Fate

Start your review of Challenging Fate
Vio
Buddy read with Mandy and Ami, who left me in the dust.:)) I need to clear up a small thing first, I love dragons and any story involving them usually tops my reading list. Especially if they’re adorable, with cute tendencies and preferably without the fire breathing.:) My partiality towards the king of all dragons Tori is well known. I think it will be extremely difficult to topple him off his perch, it was hard not to make comparisons and I definitely did, I couldn't help it.
Ami
This is a buddy read novella between Mandy (who reads obsessively), Vio, and myself. And also another example that Goodreads friends are the best people to give recommendation -- because I am sure this story would be flying by without my knowledge if not because of them.

First of all, the blurb says Maki, but when you read the story, the name started with "Cyan". There's connection to that, trust me, although at first I thought the blurb was wrong.

The story combined the dr
Deeze
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deeze by: Tailtiu
A wonderful collection to my Dragon book hoard lol. Thank you Tailtiu for bringing this to my attention.

Poor Cyan is alone and friendless. Throughout this short story my heart was pulled apart. I still want to wreck havoc on his old clan.

Luckily Cyan meets Ryder, and while all is not plain sailing, Cyan at last finds a friend.

This was interesting enough to keep me awake until I had finished it. The mystery was intriguing, the romance both painful and fu
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Deeze and Tailtiu enjoyed this one so Ami, Vio and I did a multi-continent buddy-read.

The blurb to this story is very vague so my review might be considered a little spoilerish, but not too much I hope.

I love dragon shifters, I love all kinds of shifters, but dragons hold a special place in my heart.
But this one stomped on my poor heart and I sniffled while reading it, a lot.

Maki lost everything when he finally shifted into his dragon form and I mean everything, his name, his family, he is a
Meep
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: angst, dragon
I liked the story concept; the dragon species and clans are interesting, though I would have liked the world to have been developed more. I was left with the strong impression that this was only an introduction to a larger story that was yet to be fleshed out.
Aside from one particular scene I’d be inclined to shelve this as a YA.

The problem I had was that the writing really didn’t gel for me; it often changed how I looked at certain scenes. There were a number of little things
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Free today at Amazon US, 4/6/17 :)
Tailtiu
Jul 29, 2013
Kate
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
The writing was very amateurish, and there were so many loose ends I feel like the author got bored and just decided to end it.
Cynthia
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
To read more of my reviews, please visit http://onsilverwingz.blogspot.com/

The Warrior Dragon clan ostracizes Maki when he turns into a Blue dragon, fated to bring destruction and madness. When he finally ventures out of clan lands, he chances upon a dragon held captive by a sadistic wizard.

The romance between the MCs was okay. I didn't particular care for either of them. I especially didn't like Cyan/Maki's character. He survived some terrible emotional traumas, became independent and tough, killed the wizard in cold
Robert
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Fantasy but hadn't read or been much into "shaper" stories. I read through Challenging Fate and now I can't wait to read more of Cyan, Ryder and their world. This book is perfect for a sequel that I hope the author eventually writes.

Like any good worldbuilder, Renee slowly but methodically showed Cyan's world. I love how (view spoiler).

Cyan's journ
Jilrene
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok. I love dragon MCs, but even that didn't help the story for me. Sad.
Wax
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, own-have
I love dragons, so I enjoyed this different take on them in this story. However, there were too many unexplained issues in this fantasy world, so ultimately I didn't finish feeling like I had a complete story.
Carol Pedroso
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This starts off a very sad tale.

Cyan has been chased out of his clan. They are afraid of him and the legends surrounding his kind.

Ryder has been kidnapped and tortured by an evil wizard.

After Cyan rescues him he stays with Cyan while he heals and regains his strength.

As the shifters get to know each other you get a glimpse of a happy ending only for it to be threatened with being crushed before they have a chance to grab it.

A story of love found, lost, and found again,
Jen
I liked this one a lot. I wish we were able to experience more of Maki's past instead of him remembering or telling about it to someone else. I think that would have given me more of an emotional investment in his character. Still good, though :-)
Maya