Start by marking “Mutton” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Mutton

Clara Hutt is forty-six years old, and in pretty good nick, considering. She has kick-ass underwear, a large and loving family, and a healthy sense of what matters in life. Until Gaby moves in.

Gaby's an old school friend of Clara's who has just returned from LA. She may be a yoga mogul who lives off kale, and speaks a made-up fantasy novel language, but Gaby's no stranger
Published August 1st 2013 by Penguin Books (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mutton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutton

Barry Pierce
Mutton? More like bull.
Anna
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Navel gazing white conservative middle class British bollocks that was at times downright offensive.
Especially irritated with the narrators tirade against age difference relationships with a particular weighting against the older woman with younger man construct, while at the same time berating the whole nip and tuck business. Dear Ms India: if people stopped being so ageist in all forms, inlcuding tirading against age difference relationships, the whole nip and tuck business wouldn't be such a
Sally
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I did enjoy this, although I wasn't entirely sure what it wanted to be.

The 'novel' part of it was quite thin in places and the main 'character', Clara, felt massively autobiographical. Woman, in her 40s, two sons, one daughter, two ex-husbands... all sounds very familiar. And there was an anecdote or two I recognised from India Knight's non-fiction, so that was a bit odd.

The underlying theme - how women manage to negotiate the minefield that comes with ageing, walking the tightrope between 'mu
Katia N
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know India Knight for her columns in The Sunday Times. I read them long time ago and found them witty and funny sometimes. So that was the reason why i bought this book. Also i liked the first page. I knew it would be very light read, but i wanted to have a laugh. And i cannot say i am satisfied in this way.

The witty moments are all buried in a soup of a very sweet sticky nonsense and you need to search hard for them. I cannot complain i waisted too much time as the book is thin. You can read
Sangeeta
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inconsistent, patchy, formulaic in bits, but so stunningly and uproariously funny and perceptive in the others, that 4 stars just felt rude. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and think it's a fab take on being a woman in your 40s. I'm definitely reading more of her books, having only read her columns before.
Tracey Sinclair
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am very ambivalent about India Knight - at her best, she can be hilarious - but she also can be insufferably middle class smug, and this book is the equivalent of the TV show Outnumbered. Not particularly funny, and the narrator was annoying. Didn't finish.
Ana
I just didn't get this book. At all.
Helena Halme
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on my Kindle in three days flat, and it left me in good humour.

Reading Mutton isn't going to change anyone's life, but this funny tale of two women and their struggles with getting older is an entertaining and happy read. The question, to Botox or not to Botox is the main subject matter, but there is also the underlying question: what is it that makes us happy? Is it good looks, or complete abandonment to good food and drink, not caring about the consequences? Or is it simply l
Frances
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book started brilliantly - the prologue made me laugh - and ended well, after losing its way in the middle.
Despite being in the same age band as the protagonists, and therefore supposedly facing the same kind of issues, I just kept thinking 'get a grip and stop being so obsessed with appearances'.
The plot, such as it was, felt contrived and I didn't warm to any of the characters, with the exception of Clara's sisters, who played only a minor role. Just not my kind of thing, I guess.
Tracy
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited a long time for more fiction by India Knight, and I wasn't disappointed. At first I thought it was going to solely focus on ageing and plastic surgery, but that was only an introductory element to the story. It was perfect for a quick, happy weekend read.
Anna
Read whilst ill in bed. Main character is 2 years older than me, so I could empathise with her dilemma over what to wear & preferring to watch tv at home, rarher than go to trendy wine bars in the evenings.
Cathy
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best India Knight I have read
Lisa
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's a lot better than her previous effort. So I think India Knight is back on form. I would recommend this without too many reservations, it's funny about the ageing process.
Kat
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love all of India's books, this one was funny and heartfelt, as ever.
Mincahuni
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
At times going into stereotypes and cliches about getting older and what kind of problems and opinions women can face but overall there is some humor and it's interesting to read how different people deal with the same thing (getting plastic surgery or not, how to deal with your outlook and inside insecurities). I was annoyed at reading many over the top American ideas or society related expectations that I've never faces or I've not cared about. Still, at times it was a good read. Wouldn't read ...more
Nrr
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing but too coincidental
Isabel Leah
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Got better later in the book but started off slowly. Different to the normal which was a nice change, but not too heavy going for a bedtime read!
Rebecca
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mutton by India Knight was a hilariously funny novel, that had me laughing right from the beginning to the very end. It's a story about growing old and trying to preserve the youthfulness of the human body for as long as possible. I mean, it has really come to something when the builders down the road don't even throw a whistle or vile comment your way any more, hasn't it?!

The first thing that I really loved about Mutton was the comical way that it was written. It's written in first person, so w
Becki
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Clara Hutt is a forty-six year old mother of three who on the whole likes her life until her best friend from childhood Gaby comes to live with her. Gaby has lived in LA being a yoga mogul, and all that entails. The last time Clara saw Gaby she was the thin pretty one, but the tables have turned with Gaby returning looking closer to thirty-six than her actual age of almost fifty.

So regular readers of the blog will know that MUTTON isn’t the typical style of book to be reviewed on here. However,
Liz Barnsley
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Penguin for a copy of this novel to review.

Right, anyone that reads my blog and reviews regularly may have noticed that I don’t really do “chick lit”. But when Penguin offered me a copy of Mutton by India Knight I jumped at the chance…expecting a novel similar to “Bridget Jones Diary” but from a slightly older point of view, that wasnt exactly what I got – but what I DID get was a laugh out loud wry and humerous look at the joys and downfalls of reaching a certain age…

Clara is prett
Jules
This is a difficult book for me to review, particularly as after the first fifty pages or so I would only have offered it one star.

This is my fault of course for choosing to read it as I plucked it from the supermarket shelf and snuggled it into my trolley under the mental compartmentalisation of ‘holiday reading’ during a recent shop. I don’t really do ‘chick-lit’ in any form but I do generally like India Knight’s offerings via The Times, thus …

Clara Hutt was not a main character I liked or war
Rosie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book to be an honest exploration of what it means to be a female in her 40s; what happens when the builders stop wolf-whistling you, the laughter-lines start to form and you start to question what you can wear - veering away from mumsy and yet not wanting to be 'mutton'.

Despite my not being quite into even my 30s yet, there were still things I could relate to in this book. I was definitely nodding along at the references to wanting to stay in instead of going out to trendy wine bars
Vicky
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Following one of Clara’s remarks from the book, namely that “bluntness is the best solution: there seems so little point in shilly-shallying about with announcements” let me get right to the point: Mutton was a huge disappointment. Being in my mid-twenties I might not be the book’s ideal target audience but that doesn’t alter the fact that the book is miles away from being hilarious (as it’s supposed to be) and if this really is an accurate portrayal of women in their forties (I highly doubt it) ...more
Fiona Robson
“What's a woman to do when she wakes up one morning and finds an enormous freak-wrinkle bisecting her forehead? When she walks past the buildings site and nothing happens? When she catches the eye of a nice young man and is rewarded with a kind, patient, for-granny smile?

Clara Hutt, 46, feels herself to be in her absolute prime. She is chipper. Her sap is rising mightily, as it happens. But then her friend Gaby comes back from California and moves in with her. Gaby is no stranger to Los Angeles'
Kate’s Book Spot
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Firstly I’d like to thank the publishers for sending me this book to read and give an honest review.

The prologue was a funny list of things that Clara had began to do as a result of her age (46), I have to admit that there were a few things on the list that I do already and I’m only 31! When her friend Gaby returned from LA looking younger than ever, Clara was intrigued and this was the influencing factor in her decision to discover more about cosmetic surgery.

I found the cosmetic surgery side o
Michael Brown
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, I'm thinking someone could make a puny and laughable case for this being a "woman's book", but I don't really worry about that kind of stuff. For one thing, I thought this was a hoot and sometimes oddly charming - and that Prologue? I chuckled vigorously in recognition a few times myself.

Clara is 46-years-old, and as I write so am I though I do expect that to change at some point. Perhaps then some of her concerns are the Universal province of the mid-40s individual, non-gender specifi
Damaskcat
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clara Hutt – divorced twice, three children aged forty six – is wondering whether she should have ‘work’ done to make herself look more youthful. An old school friend, Gaby, comes to stay after being in America for ten years. She looks fantastic and Clara starts to feel insecure and to worry about ageing.

I enjoyed this novel even though there isn’t that much of a plot because I enjoy India Knight’s humour. I liked Clara as a character because ultimately she has common sense and a down to earth
Verity W
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
****I got a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

If my train home from my nightshift hadn't been empty, I'd've been getting some *very* strange looks whilst reading this! India Knight's style is laugh out loud funny and Clara is a very relatable character - who's exploring issues that most of us have wondered about - what is a "normal" woman now? Should you have work done? How much work is too much? How much effort is it to look Hollywood gorgeous and is it all wort
Catherine
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mutton
I received my copy of this from Goodreads.com.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this when I was away from home last weekend, and I would have liked to give it 4 1/2 stars.
India Knight has a first class way with words, and she captures the characters perfectly so one really cares what happens to them.
The realities of female ageing are wittily dissected within the bounds of a light hearted feelgood novel. However, the more serious implications of insecurity and what constitutes happiness are not
Jenny
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women who aren't quite ready for a mid-life crisis, but can feel it coming
Shelves: general
Loved this book. So very very funny. If you are in your mid to late 40s and you are starting to look at your face in the mirror and not quite recognise it, this book is for you.

From lastic surgery, to is sex worth the hassle of a new relationships, to whether you should be offended if the workmen don't whistle and leer at you, this book covers all the things that we think but rarely say. We still feel in our prime (though slowing down and feeling a little set in our ways), but to the world- are
« previous 1 3 next »

• Island Wife: Living on the Edge of the Wild
  • The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp
  • Hildegard of Bingen: The Woman of Her Age
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Warriors in Winter (MacEgan Brothers, #7)
  • Vampire Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #3)
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • The Viking's Touch (Victorious Vikings #2)
  • Giving Up On Ordinary
  • The Weekends of You and Me
  • The Winter Ground (Dandy Gilver, #4)
  • Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)
  • A is for Angelica
  • You Could Do Better
  • City of Devils (Lombroso #1)
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor
  • The Divine Sacrifice (Arthurian Mysteries, #2)
  • Laura's Handmade Life
India Knight is a British journalist. Her novels have been translated into 28 languages.

Knight, a native French speaker, lived in Brussels until about the time she turned nine. After migrating to the United Kingdom, she was educated in London. She was awarded an exhibition to Trinity College, Cambridge, where she read Modern Languages from 1984-1987, before starting her career in journalism.

In add