Start by marking “Schwarzes Blut” as Want to Read:
Schwarzes Blut

Schwarzes Blut

Sie hat gerade die Ruinen des alten Roadhouse erreicht, als sie das dunkle Grummeln eines Motors hinter sich hört. Scheinwerfer beleuchten den Sand zu ihren Füßen. Sie geht schneller, während der Fahrer gerade so viel Gas gibt, um mit ihr mitzuhalten. Sie spielen mit ihr. Sie lassen sie rennen, halten sich immer dicht hinter ihr. Der Wagen beschleunigt erst, als sie die St ...more
Published July 1st 2013 by Heyne Hardcore (first published September 3rd 2012)

Start your review of Schwarzes Blut
Rob Twinem
I see this book as a very modern interpretation of the Jekyll and hyde theme. Shye our flawed hero has the beast "The Other" within her and if she cannot control him he will escape and cause bloody ravage on those around him. What made this an enjoyable read for me was the number and varied characters....few were good but most were evil. A special mention must be given to the giant Sherriff Dellbert Drum and a big cheer went up from all readers when he met his timely death at the hands...and tee ...more
Bandit
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilde is a pseudonym of Roger Smith, a thriller author I've never come across, but then again I don't read that many thrillers, so that's neither here nor there. Wilde is wrote he writes horror under and does so very well. The reason I mention his original genre choice is because this book read very much like a thriller writer venturing into horror. The supernatural aspect, although well rendered, felt almost tangential. The cops, the criminals, the murders...that had a real thriller feel to it. ...more
Ruth Anne Garcia
Wiseask
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been blown away by South African writer Roger Smith’s Sacrifices, one of the very best books I have ever read by any author anywhere. So you can imagine my excitement to receive — for free, no less — his novel Vile Blood, copyrighted in 2012, only a year before Sacrifices. Evidently he writes in the Horror genre as Max Wilde, but since the cover of Vile Blood identifies the author as “Roger Smith writing as Max Wilde,” why even bother with a pseudonym?

Comparing the two books is inevitable,
Iseult Murphy
Compelling

I was hooked from the first page to the last, wondering what would happen next to the teenage Skye who has a monster within her. Would give a higher rating if there hadn’t been so many graphic descriptions of what evil people do to women.
Mack
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horror, red in tooth and claw. If this is how you like it then Vile Blood is the book for you.

Roger Smith's books all have a tinge of horror. Gatsby (Mixed Blood), Piper (Wake Up Dead), Inja (Dust Devils), Vernon Saul (Capture), all broken away from humanity, bringing fear and pain to anyone unfortunate to cross them. You look into their eyes and see a soulless void.

With Vile Blood, Roger moves into a different form of horror. Here "tooth and claw" is not a metaphor but actual limb rending, dise
Adam Light
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Well, I was pretty hyped up to read this book due to the blurb from Jack Ketchum, but I was not too thrilled with it. Overall it was well written and the narrative came from several points of view, which kept things interesting, but there was not a whole lot of suspense created and the finale left we wanting. This book was supposed to be beyond horror and, I admit, it was shocking in places, but I found much of it to be gratuitous and unmerited. Again, I thought the premise was interesting, but ...more
Vivian
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of spooky. Monsters hidden inside just waiting for human flesh sounds scary but this just didn’t do it.

Gene remembered the day his baby sister, just two years old, tore his father limp from limb. Literally eating his heart out. He had been beating him at the time, after having already killed their mother. He could never tell a soul. She saved his life after all. That and they’d take her away for sure. Now four men we’re found in the dessert in a very similar way; decapitated and torn
nora m malotte
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vile Blood

Abandoned at birth , baby Skye is found in a box left on the side of the road. Never knowing who or what she is, but knowing herself to be different, she is now aware that a being , " THE OTHER, " possess her body and turns her into a demon. Will her brother, A COP, help her or KILL her to keep his son safe ? This THRILLING SUPERNATURAL MYSTERY is a must for fans of this genre. I totally RECOMMEND this captivating story.. ENJOY !
Carolyn Griffith
Strange family but intetesting

I considered this to be a very good book. It had lots of action and scary parts which kept me interested in finding out more. The family aspect of the story was very touching and yet also sad. It had a truly incredible and interesting ending!! I would recommend this book!!
Bill Berger
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Smith’s books are not for the faint of heart and this book makes his Cape Town series look like kid’s books. A grisly murder about every five pages but still, you keep reading. Part mystery, part horror and part fantasy, the book goes so far over the top. Surely a sequel in the works and I cannot wait.
Carl Nelson
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, not the typical werewolf story.

I read this story in very short order. Most times I couldn't envision pulling for the monster but that's what I found myself doing here. Definitely worth a read.
pol
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book

I don't often write reviews because I read so many books but I have to say that I loved this book. Especially the style of writing and the language used.
I won't mention the plot. Read the book and enjoy. Well done Max!
Alice Lovell
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh!

This book was crazy great!! I'm a Max Wilde follower for sure! It wasn't "just another story about the supernatural". It stands on its own with more twists and turns than any book I've read in this genre. Read it!
Nicollette Blackeagle
Excellent book

Bike Blood is a well written book that is not full of gore. I loved the storyline and how it was developed. This book has action, suspense, and the supernatural. If you love horror and are over 18 I highly recommend this book to you.
Serenity
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Really enjoyed this book. Loved the detailed gore! Some grammar errors, but otherwise, well written. Looking forward to the next book!
Jennie Akeson
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scare fest

Good book. I highly recommend if you like B and G not giving anything else away. Good character formation and great plot line.
Julia Small
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty gory but the characters were interesting. I am looking forward to the next book in this series...
james
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond evil

This take to the beginning of evil and brings Those that we’re live beep into that evil only to be saved by one if the evils need to read
Brian
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting adventure

Not for the young or this of weak disposition. A very well written read. I would suggest it to all mature fans of horror.
M Gordon
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I loved this story and I hope you write many more. As usual I don’t want to ruin it for others
Timothy C
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and riveting!

Enjoyable fast read, a bit like "Omen" the horror movie. I would buy the next book in the series to see where this goes.
Durinda
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of book. I prefer Roger Smith's books about South Africa. Too much horror in this one.
Elizabeth A.
“The truth is I’m leaning in the direction of believing that God is dead but the Devil is very much alive.” – Father Pedro

The idea that God is dead and the Devil is running wild is one that the characters in Vile Blood have every reason to embrace. Deputy Sheriff Gene Martindale and his sister, Skye, lost their parents to unspeakable violence when Skye was still a toddler and Gene hardly into his teens. More recently, Gene’s wife and their unborn child were killed in a most gruesome manner by tw
Dylan
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Can't beat a free Kindle book. I read this because it's October. Boo!
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
I typically shy away from gory books and reading the reviews, I was unsure about this one; however, I did not find this book to be an over-the-top gore fest. There was just enough gore to illustrate the viciousness of the "Other" that resides within one of the book's main characters. So if you are the type of reader that does not do well with, or enjoy, very gory books, I would still recommend giving this book a try as it was not so gory that it interfered with the storyline, nor does the storyl ...more
Benoit Lelièvre
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard not to admire's Roger Smith's love for risk and experimentation. ISHMAEL TOFFEE was bold enough, but this is quite something else. It's so different from what Smith usually does, it actually warrants the use of a pen name.

VILE BLOOD is best described as EVIL DEAD meets THE DEVIL'S REJECTS.It maintains a nimble balance in between psychological horror, supernatural and gore. Maybe there is a little too much useless gore for my own taste, but that's a pet peeve of mine, so don't mind me.
Ross Cumming
I'm a fan of Roger Smith having read all his South African based crime novels and recently discovered that he had written a 'horror' novel under the pseudonym Max Wilde. I was keen to read the novel and see if it was a good as his crime novels.
This story however is set on the USA/Mexico border and tells the story of local Deputy Gene Martindale who is a widower and looks after his sister Skye and son Timmy. A group of City strong arm men, trying to muscle in on the local meth producing scene ar
Bracken
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't in the mood for a supernatural thriller when I started this, but damn if Roger Smith didn't put me in the mood. This novel is straight forward and take no prisoners. It's not as extreme as some things out there (coughwrathjameswhitecough), but it reads like Jack Ketchum in a bad mood. Aside from a few Britishisms that sneak into a southwestern American tale (we call it a drain, not a plug hole -- and a car park is a parking lot) the storytelling is pretty flawless. ...more
Jay Andress
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Loved it loved it.

Strong characters swimming near the bottom of the pond in small border town America. Truly reprehensible villains. A believable hero and heroine who would deny that they qualify as either. Wilde/Smith sails close to the wind with some of the content here and I think the story is better for it. I mean it's horror right?

Yeah it's vile and bloody but never gratuitous.

But this, but it now.

Get a raincoat, or an umbrella. You'll need it. .

• Sins of the Child
  • Kind Nepenthe
  • Endless Evil (Pruitt County Mysteries, #1)
  • The Crowlands
  • Underneath
  • Blood Rites: An Invitation to Horror
  • Don't Blink
  • No Conscience
  • Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)
  • I Know Your Every Move (Sophie Brown, #1)
  • The Sleepwalkers (Gordon Pope, #1)
  • Fire Watch (Jack Widow, #8)
  • She's Missing
  • Famished (Ash Park, #1)
  • Jim's First Day (The Infected, #1)
  • Sex, Marry, Kill
  • Psychological Thriller Boxed Set
  • The Noise of War (The Sertorius Scrolls #2)
Max Wilde is the pen name of award-winning crime writer, Roger Smith.
Read more about pen names, doppelgängers, horror comics and slasher movies here: www.rogersmithbooks.com/maxwilde.html