Start by marking “Luck Be a Lady (Tahoe Tessie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Luck Be a Lady (Tahoe Tessie, #1)

Luck Be a Lady

(Tahoe Tessie #1)

From New York Times, USA Today, and #1 Kindle Bestselling author, Gemma Halliday...

Tessie King has just inherited the biggest casino in South Lake Tahoe, Nevada: the Royal Lakeside. What she didn't bargain for are the problems she'd inherit with it.

Having left Tahoe years ago, the underbelly of the casino trade is a far cry from the art world Tessie is used to. High-stake
Published August 13th 2013 by Gemma Halliday Publishing (first published August 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Luck Be a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luck Be a Lady

Clare O'Beara
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: america-crime
My reaction to this story is tinted by the facts that I have no interest in gambling and I am not surprised if casinos turn out to be linked to organised crime. Someone else might well give this book more stars.

The mystery itself is pleasant enough with fortunately little indulgence in the detail of gambling. A young woman named Tessie who runs an art gallery is surprised to inherit a controlling share in a Nevada casino from her father - she didn't know he had such a big stake. He's died in mid
Nancy Silk
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Tahoe Tessie Is A Great Crime Solver"

This is the first novel I've read by Gemma Halliday; but, it won't be the last! I love her writing style and twists and turns presented to the main character, Tessie King. Tessie is an art curator in San Francisco. Her father, Richard King, is owner of The Royal Palace Casino and Resort in South Lake Tahoe. His sudden death leaves her feeling guilty because she had not visited him in two years. While attending her father's funeral, Tess runs into the heartth
Rosemary K
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tessie King has returned to South Lake Tahoe after a long absence. Her father, who owns the Royal Palace Casino, died unexpectedly. Tessie learns that she inherits his business. She is stunned, but there is more to come. The Nevada Organized Crime Task Force is investigating. The final blow. Her father was murdered. Can an art gallery curator navigate this dangerous world and find who killed her father? She can with the help of her step-mother, Britton King. They make a great team. The first boo ...more
Cassandra Curtis
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tessie is an art curator, owned by a cat, who was estranged from her father for a couple of years. When he suddenly dies, Tessie is forced to go to the funeral, and learns along the way that the man she thought of her father was so much more than a casino mogul in Tahoe. As this new vision of her father emerges, she is confronted by an FBI special agent and told her father's death might not be of natural causes. Toss in a lovable childhood friend, a snowboarding heartthrob, and an FBI man hot en ...more
SarahSmith
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Gemma Halliday and was very excited to see that she had a new book out so I pre-ordered it and got it the day it came out. I then realized it was a collaboration and I was very hesitant to start reading it so I put it off till this afternoon when I had some time. This book was so hard to put down that I devoured it in only a few hours. Great hilarious story with lots of red herrings, some romance and a seamless collaboration. If you haven't done so pick it up now. It's worth you ...more
Tricia
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Gemma Halliday's books, so of course I had to read this one & it did not disappoint! I really enjoyed this new book & can't wait for more in this series! It's filled with great characters & a mystery that kept me guessing & changing my mind on the "villain". A great read that will be hard to put down!
Sibel Hodge
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When Tessie inherits a casino from her dead father, she's suddenly smack bang in the middle of a bunch of thefts, intrigue, and danger. Who stands to gain if the casino goes under? Is the old school friend of Tessie's involved? And why is FBI agent Ryder getting Tessie all hot under the collar?

A fun mystery that will keep you turning the pages!
Amber Anderson Howell
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved Tate! He is a hilarious character which was great to break of the serious moments of this well written mystery. Gemma Halliday has another fun series. Love it!
Barbara A Hajduk
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its another Gemma Charmer! A fast moving mystery with a host of delightful and funny characters. A real page turner with wit and charm. Put your feet up and get ready to enjoy.
Yvonne Erwin
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Luck be a Lady" is a great, face-paced read with believable characters and plenty of action. Bravo ladies! Good job. And Toni Sue, I'm thrilled for you. All the best.
Elaine
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great book, it was awesome! loved Tessie. FBI Agent Hottie Ryder, Rafe, Alfie, Britton and naturally Tate were awesome. Very big twist at the end. Can't wait for the next one.
FangirlNation
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
In Luck Be a Lady by Gemma Halliday and T. Sue Versteeg, Tessie King is attending the funeral of her father, the chairman of a major Lake Tahoe casino, when she finds out that he has left everything to her, and she now actually owns a very large majority share of the casino, which she doesn't want. She must remain in Tahoe at least until they can call a new board meeting in ten days and elect a new chair to replace her. She gets involved in the case of some thefts that can only have been committ ...more
Marsha
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Luck Be a Lady by Gemma Halliday

Well I really love these cozy mysteries. With just a touch of romantic background, it is so wonderful to get completely involved in the mystery itself. And this was such a good one. I am sure the series is going to be great.
Sarahanne
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun. I enjoyed the setting & characters. I'm hoping that our heroine gets her hormones in check just a bit. Not a fan of bright women becoming hopeless in the presence of some green eyes.

The mystery was good - nice mix of information & misinformation.

Starting on book two.
Kathy McCormick
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book was good enough that I want to read more by this author. downloaded the 2nd in this series.
NK
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Action, drama, a bit of romance, great moments of comedy what more could you want. An excellent read, I just couldn't put the book down and still wanted more when I finished reading
Susan Bichell
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a lot better than I had expected. I wish I would have read it sooner. Gemma Halliday has yet to disappoint me. On the next book in the series!!
S. R. Lewis
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were entertaining and the plot was, too. It was fast and pleasant reading that moved steadily along. I will read more in this series.
Wendy
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Luck Be A Lady by Gemma Halliday and T. Sue VerSteeg is the first mystery in the Tahoe Tessie mystery series. Tessie goes home for her dad's funeral and runs smack into a mystery involving her father's death. As much as she wants to leave the casino scene and go back to her art work, she soon realizes that she has inherited her father's casino.

In addition to her father's death, Tessie has to deal with irate resort guests who are having expensive items stolen and hold her responsible. Throw in a
K-BRC
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Luck Be A Lady by Gemma Halliday and T. Sue VerSteeg is the first mystery in the Tahoe Tessie series. Tessie goes home for her dad's funeral and discovers a mystery involving her father's death. Although she wants to return to her art world, she finds that she has inherited the casino and must find her father's killer. Tessie hears hotel guests are having expensive items stolen and they hold her responsible. Throw in a couple of handsome fellows, and Tessie has more mysteries to solve than she n ...more
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a HUGE fan of T.Sue Versteeg so I snapped this one up to read. It was no surprise that I loved the main character in this one. Tessie King has been saddled with her father's casino, her father's wife and her father's enemies. But she's got more grit than anyone gives her credit for. When it comes out that her father was murdered, she is unwillingly drawn into investigating it and it's her persistence that uncovers some of the biggest secrets in South Lake Tahoe. The mystery was damn good and ...more
Peggy Clayton
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought I was sitting down to read a drama mystery and wow was I wrong. I laughed so hard in some parts. In fact there are some pages that I let my imagination just go wild and then ended up laughing what I was thinking. This was a excellent,relaxing and the funniest book that I have read in a long while. I am glad that I got in a Vol. #1 A Tahoe Tessie Mystery and I will be watching everywhere for #2. I have been to Tahoe numerous times and have never met a Tessie, sure wish I had, what a tim ...more
Laura Pauling
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tessie inherits her father's casino, something she's stayed away from. The minute she arrives the mystery starts from who's stealing money and jewelry from customers staying the night to the possibility that her dad was murdered.

A wonderful whodunit with a very relatable character and a full cast of unique characters - any one of them could be the villain.

I enjoyed reading this book. I kept turning the pages and was happy with the ending.
Bonnie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the setting of this book, which was the Lake Tahoe casinos and very well described. Though it's a modern mystery, the setting made it intriguing, plus the writing and plot were excellent. The premise is perfect: the heroine, who spent a lot of time at her father's casino in her youth but then removed herself from the intensity of it, inherits the casino and so returns there and becomes embroiled in the mystery. Not too serious, but not too flippant either.
Carol
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was terribly disappointed. A far cry from my favorite High Heels mysteries. I am soooo tired of the 'girl that I can't figure out why everyone thinks is so great' trying to decide between two hot guys. And Tate was just a slightly less flamboyant Marco. Maybe it was the addition of another writer that brought this one down? It just didn't feel like Gemma to me.
Kat Jones
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Given the bundle this was included in, i expected a comedy, so that's a little disappointing, however, if you go into this with no expectations, you get a good murder mystery with a nice twist and a few interesting characters. I'm not sure if I like the childhood flaming friend or the sweet dumb blonde not a trophy wife better.
Jayme
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this mystery. Lots of fun and entertaining relationships play out - Tessie & Tate, Tessie & Britton, the love triangle, etc. the relationship between Tessie & Ryder seems a bit forced and out-of-nowhere, but overall this is a lighthearted, enjoyable read. Looking forward to future books in the series.
Jeanie Jackson
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-amateur
Loved it. I expected it to be fun and a good book but it was even better than I expected. Well written with well developed characters who are highly likable and pretty intelligent. We don't always get the total package in cozy mysteries, even the ones I enjoy but this one ranks up there with the other LOVES for this year.
P.A. Wilson
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Made me laugh. Tessie is trapped in a situation she didn't make and surrounded by people she doesn't know she can trust. Tahoe is a great background for the story and the casino life is a dazzling setting.
Justcallmequeen
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super cute - same genre and vibe as halliday's high heels mystery series. Fun read!

• Hot Scheming Mess (Madison Cruz Mystery #1)
  • The Harder He Falls (So Inked, #2)
  • Tied & Twisted (Taken in Bondage, #1)
  • My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding
  • On Assignment (Queenie Baby, #1)
  • Litsid
  • The Turning Kiss (Midnight Playground, #3)
  • Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)
  • Motto for Murder (Merry Wrath, #6)
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Head Case
  • Voodoo, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox, #3)
  • Blood Kiss (Nephilim Warrior, #3)
  • Clutch (The Redline Series #5)
  • The Unprintable Big Clock Chronicle (A Big Clock Mystery #1)
  • Chaos Bound (Chronicles from the Applecross #2)
  • An Indecent Proposition (Indecent, #5)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
Gemma had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up. She worked as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic, before finally selling her first book, Spying in High Heels, in 2005 and deciding to be a writer.

Since then, Gemma has written several mystery novels

Tahoe Tessie (2 books)
  • Hey Big Spender (Tahoe Tessie, #2)