Start by marking “Waterborn (The Emerald #1)” as Want to Read:
Waterborn (The Emerald #1)

Waterborn

(The Emerald #1)

"You don’t have to choose. You can be both. The girl with the charm, the girl without. They both suit you."

Caris Harper lives a charmed life. Literally.

When her dad offers to take her to the Emerald coast of Florida for summer vacation, Caris jumps at the chance. The chance to get answers to questions she’s always been too afraid to ask. The chance to be normal. Isn’t tha
Published September 6th 2013 (first published August 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Waterborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterborn

Jess (the cozy reader)
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I saw this on Amazon and the cover really captured my attention. This kind of a had a mermaid vibe, but the author gave it her own unique twist and it was absolutely wonderful. It had all the aspects that I love: a beach setting, mystery, romance, and dark secrets. My favorite thing was that the book is told from both POV's, so I got a good look into both of their minds

Noah was such a intriguing young man, passionate and caring, yet understandably guarded, and not to mention very handsome. I rea
Sadie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is so nice to see a strong female character that doesn't spend the majority of the book waiting to be saved by the male character. The best part of this book, for me, is the moment Caris realizes that she holds the power to help herself. Caris is the heroine of this story.

The interactions between Noah and Caris are organic. There is a nice mix of humor that helps to balance the darker issues that each character faces. I really enjoyed the minor characters' storylines (Erin's especially) and c
Jessi
Billie
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This book has been on my To-Be-Read and Must-Buy list for a while, so when the author offered this for Read 2 Review, I grabbed the chance! I never read anything about sea creatures... well, except for Little Mermaid which I watched as a kid. ( I love Ariel! ..and now I am hearing "Part of my world" playing inside my head! haha. )

I just loved the cover of this book! There's something ethereal about it.Under the sea or the deep was entirely a different world. It was vast ..deep ...and for me, v
Luisa
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this a 3,5 (if Goodreads allowed me to lol). I'm trying to improve my reviews so let's see if this is any good :)

This book has an incredible idea of a mermaid-like creature. Totally interesting and a bit more 'realistic' and 'believable' (things that aren't usually necessary when talking about fantasy, right?). Well, I really loved the whole premise of the characters and what they are. This was incredible. I guess I've always been deeply fascinated with the idea of being 'special' o
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I've been eager to read a mermaid book for a while - and while the waterbreathers aren't technically mermaids (no tails and they don't live solely underwater), this book pretty much hit the spot.

The negatives:

Some grammatical errors.
The book could have used a good edit - the errors were not egregious, but they were definitely noticeable.

A bit of a slow start.
I felt like the beginning of the book was a little bit s
Bee
Istyria book blog - B's world of enchanted books

*I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!*

I’m surprised to say that I really liked this book! It was a pretty cool and original concept and it worked out well. I found a few typos, but they didn’t bother me that much. Kimberly gives her own spin on mermaids and sirens and mixed that with some cool action, fantastic underwater scenes and a passionate romance.

Waterborn is about Caris. She just m
Melissa Souza
I really liked the concept of this book. It wasn't your typical mermaid story. I liked the idea of their being a whole subset of species among humans that could breathe underwater. I loved Caris' character. Considering she had so much to learn about herself, she was strong and handled things quite well. Noah was equally likeable. I loved how he treated Caris and the parts about his family really helped to relate to him. I enjoyed reading about how each of them reconciled themselves with their pa ...more
Kristine Bennett
I loved this book! I don't normally read fantasy, but this book wasn't way out there. The book takes place on the Emerald Coast of Florida, where I grew up. I recognized places mentioned and found that made it all the more interesting to me. My sister recommended the book. It was written by a local author and the sister of one of her high school classmates. I hope she will write more books, and soon!
Tara Humphrey
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I liked that they stayed mostly "human" even while being in the water for so long. I liked that it wasn't as much of a secret to the people that lived there. I hope to see more books about the characters. They are fascinating.
Terra Wilbanks
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm speechless! This book is beyond amazing. I was so happy it was not a mermaid book! Water breathers, a different and rare species some with magical gifts. Caris, being a Siren and being able to manipulate the weather. This honestly is one of the best books of our time! Noah, hears Caris call while searching for his brother. The love between the two is just beautiful. Best book hands down!
Alexandra
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book!

From the very first chapter I was sucked into this book! Not only is it well written but the characters are well crafted and the plot is unlike anything I've read before.

I enjoyed all the doors opened in this first installment, leaving you with tons of questions, most of which are left unanswered at the end. At the same time if you aren't one for reading a series you could read this one book and be completely content.
Terra
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. Its my all time favorite. I love how it is based around Seaside Florida where I visit my family. This story is so exciting and riviting. I haven't been so excited about a book on a while. The author creates a world with characters you don't want to leave. I can't wait for more. Caris and Noah are goals!!!
Elysse
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating story!

I love finding books that you don't expect to blow you away! I love this story. It's magical, romantic, thrilling and tragic all at the same time! Can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Fischer Cindy
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great dreamy book. I want more. I didn't want it to end.

Love this book. I got wrapped up in the story. The characters were strong.
I've always wanted to see a whole mermaid world. Thank you.
Sonia
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing this retrospectively after reading books 2 and 3 as well. Love the story. Well written. Mystery, romance, whimsical, strong female. Great read.
Michelle
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve missed reading the fantasy genre lately. I’m intrigued as to our siren lost her song and am hopeful we uncover some of the magic we’ve learned about more fully as the series continues.
Valeria
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! I really really enjoyed it since page 1. It was a story of loss, grieve and moving on; seizing what life brings you, and self-discovery. I thought the plot was very original and thought provoking. I fell in love with these wonderful beings, the breathers, I would certainly want to be one of them and have the freedom and ability to swim like that. I especially liked that the story wasn’t all about Caris, but you got to learn about the other characters as well. I didn’t want ...more
Alexa
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

**I received this book for free from the author for an honest review. Thank you so very much!!**

~~~~~~~

Caris-

Walk In The Sun / Caitlin Lois

"I could hardly tell him what I really thought. That all I saw was a beautiful, mythical creature, and I was mesmerized by him."

Noah-

"Dripping wet, red faced from crying, she was beautiful. I wondered how I ever thought maybe she wasn't pretty. I wondered how I ever thought I could hate her."

~~~~~

I got this book for free to review and it was the best! I wish there was a second book becaus
Rachel
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made it about half way in a day then lost interest for a few weeks then got so into it tonight i finished it fighting sleep and all i love this book ugh so good and gives you all the feelings could noah be anymore perfect so ready to read the rest of the series!!!

So good Noah is so perfect I love this book I'm so excited to finish the rest of the series
Jessica
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I strayed away from YA & NA for a long time since I'm a little older now & most of the younger books tend to be immature & annoying 2 me. I'm also now into books that are flooded with romance. But.. Alas, I am a sucker for mermaid or in this case water breather novels. I love the ocean & everything about it. The cover of the book & title also lured me in. I was on a road trip so I decided to give this book a shot. My honest review would be that I liked it. Caris really surpri ...more
Britt
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was giving his book in exchange for an honest review by the author. This is no way shape or form affected my opinion.

My patience with books is very thin and if I'm not into it I have a hard time continuing, with that being said this book had me hooked ( no pun intended) right out the gate. I have never read anything like this story in the heavily saturated YA genre I cling to. It was a breathe of fresh air or should I say a fresh water?

The main protagonist Caris (awesome name) has always felt
Cat
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Downloaded this book for free, but was iffy about reading it after seeing reviews. That said, I'm glad I read it anyway.

Caris is our heroine, and she does a pretty decent job of carrying the story. I thought she was fairly believable, though she left some room under the "characteristics-still-desired" column. She is 18 and has pretty much had a part of herself cut off, so I guess this is understandable...sorta.

Noah is the male lead and he seems like a stand up guy who's been through some tough s
Sofiraindrop
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl returning home, finding love and finding her place underwater.

I've really enjoyed this book. The heroine, Caris, seemed a sweetheart and a spitfire at once. She meets Noah (cuuuuuuute) and he falls under her spell, completely against his will. That makes for some interesting situations (which i'll not spoil) that may or may not be funny ;). Then, she discovers her true nature due to her 'new' family, that will alter her life forever.
It has some adventure in it, but not
Amanda Munes
**** ARC exchanges for an honest review ((((( spoilers )))))****

OK, i am jumping in head first!

I am only giving this book 3 stars because i feel as if it is unfinished. Yes we get a great love story and i am happy with the outcome but i want more with the plot. Is there going to be another book?

I want to know will she lead the way to having landers and breathers co exists rather than landers being controlling and domineering towards the breathers.

What is going to happen with the dads? Will she
Jamila
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I really don't have anything against this book. I actually really liked it and the cover is freaking gorgeous! But the reason it didn't make it to 5 stars is just that it wasn't AMAZING. I tend to be very stingy with giving out my 5 stars. So while I loved it, it wasn't exactly on par with say Red Queen for example. That being said I still want to get the next three books like asap. Although I must say this book easily could have been a standalone if only certain things were taken out. Howeve
Lauren Sanson
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's one of those stories that gives you a book hangover after finishing it, and you can't stop thinking about it for days. I have also had an overwhelming desire to find a beach and go swimming ever since finishing it.

The characters felt very real, and were likeable. Caris wasn't annoying, like so many female protagonists are these days. Her reactions to finding out about her new identity were realistic for a teenage girl, which helped the ground the fantasy elements.

I woul
Shauna
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book! I enjoyed the chemistry between Noah and Caris, and I really enjoyed the premise of the story. I was excited about how the water was like a living breathing being, who had a real pull and control over Noah. I wished the ending was more epic, or more put together, in terms of a strong ending battle or climax. I wish that there could be a sequel because I feel these lovers' story isn't over. I would absolutely recommend this book to others, and I really enjoyed ...more
Fran Banks
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, I put these comments in the wrong spot, fixing that now.

I finished the book in 3 nights LOVE IT.

Thank you again for sharing this wonderful read with me. I'm 67 and I'm sure the book was probably written for a younger crowd but it was full of fun, has a lovely touch of romance and a couple of darker moments, all in all a GREAT READ.

I can't wait until you have another book published.
Beth Nanney
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Very well written and entertaining. I was transported to the beach with every page. I could practically smell the salt air. The characters are very relatable, while still having a element of mystery surrounding each and every one of them. I can't wait for the second book!!! What about Jamie?!?!! Will Caris and Noah remain a couple?!?! I can't wait to find out!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Jun 10, 2016 01:19PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Waterborn by Kimberly James 1 11 Feb 06, 2015 07:59PM
YA & NA Romance ♥: Read to Review: Waterborn - CLOSED FOR SIGN-UP 33 101 Dec 17, 2013 11:27AM
  • Out of Nowhere
  • Immersed (The Clockwork Siren, #1)
  • Awakening (Absence of Song #1)
  • Dream Girl
  • Legasea
  • Bound (Dark Reflections #1)
  • Westward to Strange
  • Markings
  • Alana Weatherbee (Alana Weatherbee, #1)
  • Spellweaver (The Spellweaver Chronicles, #1)
  • Natural Selection (Forces of Nature, #1)
  • The Ring (Cursed, #1)
  • The Shield Prophecy (The Sacred Guardians, #3)
  • Soulless
  • True Fate (True Fate #1)
  • Righteous
  • Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
  • The Fire Sisters (Brilliant Darkness, #3)
Kimberly is a Crossfit junkie and a connoisseur of french fries.

She likes to make stuff up and write it down. Her stories usually have a contemporary setting with a fantastical twist. Waterborn is her debut novel.

Kimberly lives in Alabama the beautiful with her husband, three dogs, Kevin the cat, and four new adults of her own. A couple of which are off at college.

The Emerald (2 books)
  • Waterdreamer (The Emerald #2)