Jump to ratings and reviews

Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones

Heather Jones is in search of something. A sexual abuse survivor, Heather finds herself in the midst of a women's conference sharing her story, while struggling to allow her true self the freedom to emerge.

Will Heather break free of her current chains or will she find herself still bound after the conference?

Editors: Shantae A. Charles & Cynthia M. Lamb

Loading interface...

About the author

Tremayne Moore

11 books59 followers
I never dreamed of being a writer when I was in elementary school. My desire was to be a singer and to be a guest performer on Soul Train (keep in mind, this is 1979-1980). Throughout elementary school, my extracurricular activities were reading (which I was an avid reader) and singing.
I would try to write when I was nine but because what I wrote made no sense I chose not to dwell on it. A few years later, a family member was so focused on being a rapper; he encouraged me to write as he would write songs. When I look back at that period of my life (1986-1987), Hip Hop was starting to get vulgar and I tried to blend in. After a while, I stopped using vulgarity and shortly after, a classmate in high school introduced me to poetry. After writing this one poem with this classmate (in 1991), I embraced the concept of poetry. I didn’t know that God was going to use me to write poetry that would eventually be the making of these books. I was writing what was in my heart at that particular moment in my life while avoiding the idea of writing a book. After taking a long hiatus from writing, I started writing again. When I started writing again (this is now 2004/2005), two sisters in Christ prophetically spoke these words to me: “I have a vision. You will write something that will change someone's life, or even be quoted till the end of time.” Again, I didn’t think anything of it, even though numerous people encouraged me to put a book together. I was focused on writing to be a blessing to someone. In 2009, I released my first book which has now pushed me into prophetic destiny. I encourage you to pursue your passion and talent for His glory, and you too will be pushed into prophetic destiny.
Many lives have already been blessed through the poetry God has given me to write. I pray that you open your heart to His Spirit and that you will allow Him to minister to you. Finally, I pray that you are blessed, highly favored & empowered to prosper under His hand.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Arlena.
3,126 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2016
Title: Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones
Author: Tremayne More
Published: Maynetre Manuscripts, LLC
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Pieces of Me" Finding Heather Jones by Tremayne Moore was really some good read. When I started reading this story I wasn't sure what I would get but I quickly started understanding just what this short story was dealing with. Wow is all I can say! We are presented a story of 'Heather Jones in search of herself.' This author really brings it all out to the reader dealing with 'molestation, sexual abuse, church issues, mental health, self esteem' and I am sure I have left out a few more. My heart went out to Heather in this story having to deal with all of these issues. Did she not make that conference an interesting one! This was definitely a wow moment for me to think that this actually goes on in churches. To think that these issues such as abuse really happen in our day to day life for some many people is so very sad but there is help out there for you. I liked how this author offered reading at the end of the read ... 'discussion questions in reference to domestic violence and abuse and valuable resources for domestic abuse and violence.'

This author did a wonderful job with this well written story. Hopefully, it will get in the right persons hand that really need this read. I hope I have said enough to want you to pick up "Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones" that deals with abuse and how this person leaves you with the feeling in the end of 'conviction and remorse.'

Even though this is a short read it handles the subject matter very well and in the end you are given something to think about long after the read. Would I highly recommend? YES AND YES!
Profile Image for OOSA .
1,802 reviews225 followers
September 8, 2013
Cry Loud and Expose the Abuse

Heather and CJ both suffer, and in the end, both lose. All in the name of love. Heather, because of what she endured during her childhood, was willing to try and deal with her situation with Marvin. CJ's problem was he saw so much abuse growing up he allowed it to affect his mind.

Tremayne Moore’s “Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones” was a very touching one because it touched on things that really happen in day-to-day life for a lot of women as well as men. Abuse is NEVER acceptable.

I had many emotions reading this book and overall it was a good read. Keep sharing and spreading the word, Tremayne, for the world needs to know about abuse and measures that can be taken to escape.

Reviewed by: Lisa M.
Profile Image for Andy.
27 reviews5 followers
August 15, 2013
I have won this book through the Goodreads giveaway.
Thank you so much for signing it.

I was surprised when the book arrived and it was only 70 pages. But to be honest, it was the perfect amount of pages.

The story made me think about the abuse I suffered in my childhood and with my ex-husband.

I never took it serious and even blamed myself for it. After reading this book I now know I'm not to blame and the abuse was very serious.

Thank you so much for writing what I never wanted to believe.

Trisha
2 reviews13 followers
August 17, 2013
I received this book for free in a giveaway.

Pieces of me has really opened my eyes to the world of abuse, it's much more complicated than people who haven't gone through it might think. It's sad that things like this happen to people and Heathers story was saddening to read about but aside from all the sadness I think the realization Heather comes to in the end and CJ's outlook on how things should be are beautiful. Now that being said I love how this book was written it comes in at 70 pages (this is refreshing it seems as if all books these days have 200+ pages) and honestly this was perfect, it told a story without it feeling as if there was something missing. I also really like how you feel as if you are in the conference with Heather and that she's telling you all of this. I find the ending heartbreaking (if its even possible to feel anymore heartbreak then you do during the whole book)
Profile Image for Tiffany Tyler.
665 reviews93 followers
November 23, 2013
Who knew that a book that is less than 70 pages could leave me speechless and really feeling some type of way? Pieces of Me gives us insight into a woman who is a sexual abuse survivor trying to put herself back together. The story is sad yet very frustrating. It is frustrating because there are so many real-life stories like Heather’s but because of shame and guilt the survivors aren’t sharing them. And, also as depicted in the book, the church isn’t a place of support as it should be for people that are going through and/or have been through any form of abuse. I applaud Tremayne Moore for doing his part to bring the topic of sexual abuse and how to become a conqueror to the forefront.

DISCLAIMER: I received a complimentary copy of Pieces of Me in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
204 reviews
August 8, 2013
Pieces of me is a heartfelt story of Heather Jones who is in search of herself. Having to grow up faster than she needed to because she lost her innocence at such a young age, Heather has to learn how to deal with the sexual abuse she grow up with in her house. Living in a place where she should have been protected, and felt safe she grew up scared and alone. Trying to find an escape out of her house leads her down a road with her first true love Marvin. Marvin appears to be everything Heather is looking for, he keeps her safe and protects her as well as looks out for her. Having grown up as a sexual abuse survivor protection is all Heather is really looking for. When Marvin and Heather start to make a life on their own Heather feels that she wont have anything else to worry about since she has Marvin by her side. When trying to do the right thing by joining a church in their new home town takes a turn in both their lives, Heather realizes things with Marvin are not going as she had hoped because the church has a major hold on him. After dealing with all the things in her new life including Marvin and Church Heather begins to struggle with who she is and what she should expect as a person. Heather finds herself in a conference of women that she shares her story with hoping to open their eyes to signs of abuse as well as allow her own freedom to emerge. After the conference is over will Heather still be bound to the life she is living and break free of her chains or will she realize she has more to live for?

This short story dealt with a lot of issues in a very well written way. A lot of woman and maybe even men can relate to Heathers story. It dealt with molestation, sexual abuse, church issues, mental health issues and more, self-esteem and more. I think this was like Heathers testimony of what happens to her and how she felt dealing with what she was going through and going to the conference was her sharing what she learned. The book shows what a lot of people may not talk about like there are some churches who are way to involved in the personal lives of their congregation. They take the word and switch it around to make themselves feel like god and that their word is what matters the most, which is what happened in the church Heather joined. I don’t want to say too much and give too much away but this was a really good read that tackles a lot of issues that people deal with. There are lessons to be learned as you read this and hopefully the reader is able to pick them up as I did.
August 13, 2013

Tiffany Williams
AAMBC Reviewer
Profile Image for Dream 4 More Reviews.
173 reviews7 followers
November 28, 2013
"Pieces of Me" is a story about Heather Jones who is facing various types of abuse that may be overlooked. Tremayne Moore clearly shares her story about sexual abuse in the home of her parents caused by her father, and learned she could get out of the household if she got pregnant. Therefore, she did just that and hoped life would be better by moving in with a neighborhood friend, Marvin, whom she's know since third grade. Her life still went down a rocky-road after the birth of her son, Jaden.

I also liked how the Mr. Moore touched on male domination and women subordination, which is actually taught by the leader, the Bishop of that church home where the couple attends. Moreover, Heather was in a roller-coaster of a relationship with a fiancé like Marvin, who always made her feel guilty, condemned for a sin since everything she did was wrong in his eyes.

There were some minor issues in the storytelling that I brought to the author's attention. Yet it didn't distract me and still was able to get the gist of it. I believe Mr. Moore's had good intentions to share what goes on in the mindset of someone being abused overall and executed some of those tales rather well; but Heather tells the story to a women's conference as if she's have a conversation with someone as scenes linger.

Most of all, I loved how he challenges the reader at the end with discussion questions in reference to domestic violence and abuse in general. He also includes valuable resources for domestic abuse/violence. Tremayne Moore is a man who writes about things that needs public attention. He is a man with a voice and hopes to get justice for the unjust. Overall, his voice was heard once again in this piece, and able to see the pieces of Heather Jones from her viewpoint; which can be a voice for many voices that are not heard.

Dream 4 More Reviews has received "Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones" by the author for a book review.

Dream 4 More Reviews,
What a Dream!/Sweet Dreams
Adrienna Turner
www.dream4more.org
Profile Image for Michael Beckford.
Author 37 books19 followers
October 3, 2013
Author Tremayne Moore has pieced together another timely and somewhat controversial book dealing with the issues of abuse. This is Heather Jones story, and for any woman or man that has ever dealt with abuse, Heather will leave you with a feeling of both conviction and remorse as the book concludes. It is perhaps amazing how the victim sticks with the abuser for whatever particular reason, and no matter what outside sources may say, the victim still goes back. This book could have been a five-star book if there wasn't some of the confusion as in who was taking in the dialogue. Also, I think that the book was a little too fast paced and could have fleshed the characters out a little more, especially CJ's character. I also thought that the book ended too fast, i wanted a little more meat to the story, but overall the book hit a home run on it's major points of abuse and the religious people in high places who do nothing to help solve these issues. Wonderful job Tremayne Moore. It was a good read, but I personally like your blockbuster hit Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid: Michael Anderson's Fight For Life a little better. That book in my opinion is one that will be hard to top. Keep writing and keep blessing us with material that others don't have the nerve and or the courage to talk about.
Profile Image for Trinisa M Pitts.
Author 2 books13 followers
December 22, 2013
I am in tears right now! When I picked up this book to read it I never would have imagined that it would have mirrored my journey with men in my life. I see why the title is Pieces of Me. It had Pieces of me all in it. This is a AWESOME testimony of Heather Jones life that shows it is really hard to let go. I too had to go through the same things. I was told that this one guy was like a drug to me I kept going back even though I knew the relationship was no good for me. It takes a lot of strength and courage to get up and just go. You have to have support and most women don't have that in their immediate surroundings. They are scared to tell. That is exactly why I am using myself as a living sacrifice and a voice for those that are scared to tell what they have been through our going through. What I love is that this book opened my mind to the physical abusive I endured in my past and my mental and social abuse that is just the same. We must break those chains. We must get up the strength to STAND UP! Walk away and stay away from things that mean us no good. AWESOME READ! GOOD WORK TREMAYNE MOORE (A MAN OF HIS WORD)
Profile Image for Barbara.
787 reviews114 followers
September 22, 2013
Tremayne Moore's Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones is an excellent book. One that everyone should read.

Heather Jones is a victim of abuse where her father was the perpetrator. She chose a similiar man as the father of her child and later her husband and ended up in a cycle of abuse.

Heather Jones a sexual abuse survivor, Heather finds herself in the midst of a women's conference sharing her story, while struggling to allow her true self the freedom to emerge.

Pieces of me also tackles the controversial area of misused doctrine to keep wives more as servants and bedmates than helpmates. I found the book interesting and thought provoking.

I recommend this book as a way of reading and maybe learning from the situations that occur in others lives.

Profile Image for Teleah Scott-Moore.
Author 6 books3 followers
October 20, 2013
Tremayne Moore's Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones tackles the controversial subject of women being subservient to men. Heather Jones, a sexual abuse survivor, finds herself in the midst of a women's conference sharing her personal testimony about child abuse, domestic violence, and false teachings of the church. A victim of child sexual abuse where her father was the perpetrator; Heather chose Marvin, a man similar to that of her father and the cycle of abuse continued at the hands of Marvin. To add further assault to injury, Heather became a member of a church that co-signed Marvin's mistreatment of her, as well as fortified the misguided thought that men must use their words and hands to keep their women in check. I applaud Tremayne for his bravery in tackling the issues that so many others want to sweep under the rug for fear of stepping on anyone's toes. This book was relevant, transparent and a shocking eye-opener for anyone who is or has been victimized. The message I get after reading this awesome book is that you can change your fate!
Profile Image for Juanesia.
395 reviews44 followers
October 18, 2013
Pieces of me was a carefully constructed story of Heather Jones and her quest to break through the chains of abuse. Tremayne delicately laid down the details of abuse and some of the thoughts that may travel through the mind of the person that is being abused. Nicely written Tremayne. I can't wait for the discussion.
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.