Start by marking “Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge” as Want to Read:
Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge

Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge

(Ravicka #3)

“Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge is the third volume of Renee Gladman’s magnificent, melancholy series about the city-state of Ravicka, or about the architectures of its absence. It is tempting to read the Ravickian books as an extended allegory—of architecture itself, perhaps, except that architecture is already half-allegorical, its every element raised to prefigure whatever ...more
Paperback, First, 128 pages
Published November 1st 2013 by Dorothy, a publishing project

To ask other readers questions about Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge

Nate D
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, dorothy
Like Gladman's prior two Ravicka novels, this one is about language and architecture, their points of intersection, echo, or thematic vibration. There's only a ghost of the narrative threads traced by the prior two, but this works excellently by itself as a slow iteration of the continuing themes. Like Nicole Brossard's earlier works (Un livre for instance) this is a very open text rendering in spare poetic terms, allowing much room for active reading and reinterpretation. Each short text of the ...more
Sean
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a country, this was our crisis: getting other people to see what we were seeing.
For her third volume in the Ravicka cycle, Renee Gladman employs the 'book-within-a-book' device to tell the story of the 'despair' or 'crisis' that has overtaken the city-state of Ravicka, as experienced by a small close-knit group of writers. The book is penned by the reclusive writer-architect Ana Patova, erstwhile lover of Ravickian novelist Luswage Amini, the narrator of the first section of the previous vo
Drew
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Each successive Ravicka book has taken us further inside the minds of the people of Ravicka and ANA PATOVA is no exception: Ana Patova, poet and author and student of architecture as well as love interest of Luswage Amini (narrator/main character of THE RAVICKIANS), has written a book about the collapse of Ravicka that seems to be happening across the board. This is that book - Gladman's entire novel is in fact this book written by Patova.

...or is it? As the architecture of Ravicka shifts and c
Jeff Raymond
The final book from Ravicka, this book was maybe more enjoyable in some ways but also really, really confounding. For every mystery unraveled, a new one pops up. The writing style is strange and foreign, which is the point, and it makes for a narrative almost of mini-episodes than anything else.

I don't have a lot new to say that I didn't say about the first two books, but the way this entire series succeeds in portraying foreignness and mystery is one I wish I could see more of. Just a beautiful
Carrie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was waiting in the autoshop and I said to my mom, I'm reading the third in a series but I haven't read the second yet, so I'm not sure if I should be reading this. And someone else waiting looked over at me, like I'm a normal person who reads books that are in a series.
M.
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My least favorite of the Ravicka series though there is much to love here. It's the most lyrical, least narrative of the four books, gorgeously written but for whatever reason I was not compelled.
Crowjonah
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: if-i-had-to-pick
This book is a beautiful, attentive person at an intimate gathering of friends to whom I am merely an acquaintance, and whose language I've just begun to learn. They are patient with me, and generous in their tolerance of my pantomiming, but it's quickly evident to everyone that it'll be best for me to stand aside to watch the comings and goings. The shifts mesmerize, the drink is good, the chatter surprisingly sparse. It is warm. I will stay here as long as they'll have me.
Jasmin
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Was initially turned off by the seeming narrative. Then, the narrative twisted and distorted itself, intriguing me. People left but didn't actually leave, they existed but also didn't. Architecture shifted and turned. Reading this book was an experience I've never had before. I was entranced and would like to read more by Renee Gladman.
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'm debating between 3 and 4 stars. In it's way it's academic, or like a long writing exercise. A lot of the book is about writing, the viewpoint and community, connection and disconnection of writing--I do believe that is a valuable subject. Perhaps I was in the mood for something less notioned. But I liked the whole series and will re-read at some point.
A. M.
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, dorothy
Magnificent, eloguent, expansive, deeply human. Although it relies more on the second book than the second did on the first, it still stands alone with grace and beauty. For those who love architecture, language and the people of both.
T. Dwella
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Take your time with this one. It is a great piece of art and will flip and turn you around. Reading this piece was a little challenging but once I let go of expectations I progressed through it much more smoothly.
Geoffrey
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, it's short, I'll give it that! Otherwise...blah. I probably should've given the first book a higher rating, given how much better it is than the follow-ups.
Thea Bradbury
Jul 28, 2017
Aurora
Oct 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Atlanta, GA, in 1971, Renee Gladman studied Philosophy at Vassar College and Poetics at New College of California. In addition to Calamities, she is the author of eight works of prose, including the Ravicka novels Event Factory (2010), The Ravickians (2011), and Ana Patova Crosses a Bridge (2013), as well as a book of poetry, A Picture-Feeling. Her most recent work of fiction Morelia is fo ...more

Ravicka (4 books)