Start by marking “The Name on Your Wrist” as Want to Read:
The Name on Your Wrist

The Name on Your Wrist

It's the first thing they teach you when you start school. But they don't need to; your parents tell you when you're first learning how to say your name. It's drummed into you whilst you're taking your first stumbling steps. It's your lullaby. From the moment it first appears, you don't tell anyone the name on your wrist.

In Corin's world, your carpinomen - the name of your
Published July 15th 2013 by RHCP Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Name on Your Wrist, please sign up.
Becca A cynic is a person that is distrustful and pessimistic, they believe that people act selfishly.

Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Childrens Publishers UK, and Netgalley.)
19-year-old Corin lives in a society where everyone has a name on the skin on the inside of their forearm. This name is the name of their soul-mate, and they must find this person and marry them. The name must always be kept covered though, and you’re not supposed to show it or discuss it with anyone.

Corin still hasn’t found her soul-mate, but she’s n
Michelle
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Imagine that your soul mate, your carpinomen , knew who you were and vice versa. Helen Hiorns has created a world were this is possible, each person has a name on their wrist of their soul mate, it is only known to them and remains covered at all times.
Corin is the protagonist in The Name on Your Wrist, as far as everyone is concerned her carpinomen is Thomas, or a variation of the name. Colton is a fellow pupil that attends some of Corin's classes. I didn't initially like him, putting him in t
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
It’s a rare treasure when you find a book with such a unique concept that it captures your interest immediately and doesn’t let go. Until the conclusion that is… but I’ll get to that later.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: dystopias are hit or miss for me. I’m still making my mind up about this book in general, but I can’t doubt that the world was beautifully created. Everything that you needed was well explained, in order to look at its consequences for the characters. That’s also whe
K.
Trigger warnings: suicide, self-harm, mental health, car accident, death of a parent.

Look, I'm not going to lie: I picked this one up solely because it's basically a soulmate fan fic. And I'm trash for a good soulmate fic.

However, this turned out to be more dystopian story than anything. Basically, at some point in childhood, a name is tattooed on your wrist. It's taboo to show the name to anyone, but it's common knowledge that it's the name of your soulmate. Once you're of age, you can start
Alix Long
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I met Helen last year at the Sony Young Movellist award ceremony (because she won!), and we were lucky enough to bump into each other while she was having some very swishy meetings and I was at work experience at Movellas HQ. I couldn't wait to get my teeth into her book but somehow I never got around to reading it until this week, and I was so glad that I finally got around to it.... I think this is going to be my top read through 2014!

The blurb immediately fascinated me. Ever since I was youn
Zoë Marriott
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was sent a link to an eGalley widget to this book, saw that it was about soulmates, and downloaded it assuming that it would be a nice, sweet story about forever teenage love. I probably *wouldn't* have downloaded it if I'd realised that it's nothing of the sort - that, in fact, it's one of the bleakest and most uncompromising Dystopian novels I've ever come across - but that would have been my loss. I'm glad I read it, even if it did leave me wanting to curl up under a blankie with a cup of h ...more
Abbie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

This was a good read, but had a few plot holes and lacked explanations.

Keeping the name on your wrist to yourself is the biggest secret you will have.
This is why i found it difficult to understand why you'd get branded with a name at the age of three.
Surely, if it's meant to be top secret, you wouldn't get your name until you're old enough to fully understand how big of a deal it is.

Corin's opinions about soul mates kept on ch
Alice
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once an avid reader, in recent years I have fallen out of the loop with up and coming authors, instead preferring to stick to my favourite authors - until now that is.

Sitting down after a particularly tiring shift at work, I wanted nothing more than to read for half an hour then sleep. However, once I had started this book, I could not put it down. And roughly three hours later (with no breaks - not even toilet breaks!) I have finished it and am thirsty for more.

The Name Upon Your Wrist is fresh
Jess
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Random House Children's Publishers UK and Helen Hiorns*

The name on your wrist is set in England in a future where the name of your soul mate is tattooed on your wrist.

I liked Corin the main character despite her aggressive personality. She was flawed and self-destructive, a result of her father's death.

The characters and setting were all very well developed and believable. The storyline was never dull and t
Laura Greenwood
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-netgalley
Review posted August 28th on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of The Name on Your Wrist via Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Corin lives in a futuristic England where everything is decided for you, your job, your education, your home, your food intake, everything, even down to your soulmate. At a young age all children are imprinted with a name on their wrist, the name of the person they'll be happiest with, but they are never to tell anyone until they find their sou
Luna
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
I love books that still have me thinking about them days after I’ve finished. The Name On Your Wrist is an impressive debut and I for one can’t wait to see what Helen Hiorns comes up with next.

The name of your soul mate appears on your wrist, this person is destined for you – but Corin doesn’t want to find her soul mate. The story of her older sister, Jacinta, didn’t end well and after the death of Corin’s father, her mother is condemned to be alone.

Having dated boy’s with the name “Thomas” (or
Joanne
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

When I first heard about The Name on Your Wrist by Helen Hiorns, it sounded like a really intriguing story, but I had no idea just how brilliant it was going to be!

Corin lives in a world where around the age of two or three, a name appears on everyone's wrists, the name of their carpinomen - the person they would have an anima-vinculum, a soul bond. In short, the name on your wrist was your soul mate, and at a certain point in the future, in your late te
Katie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
'The Name on Your Wrist' is centred around Corin, a young girl who feels trapped into the constraints of a society which seeks to control pretty much every aspect of people's lives, but most importantly - who they love. How can you be destined to be with someone solely based on their name? This book tackles some difficult issues like first loves, rebellion and even domestic violence. I really enjoyed this new concept, especially the heartbreaking ending.
Can you imagine a world where everyone is born with a soul mate? A world where when you reach about three years old a name will appear on your wrist, your carpinomen, a name that you must keep hidden from everyone - even your family - the name of the person who you are meant to spend the rest of your life with? It isn't forbidden for you to date or marry someone who isn't your soul mate but it is frowned upon and you will quickly earn yourself a reputation if you are seen dating people with diff ...more
Keely
This review might have a few spoilers, but if you want it in a nutshell, it's amazing. You should buy it because you won't regret it.

The premise instantly drew me in, it was something entirely original, something I'd never seen before and that's when I knew I had to have it and read it straight away; I swallowed this book whole in one night. It was captivating, gripping and I couldn't stop reading, I was emerged in the story and I needed to know what the future had install for these characters.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Find this and other YA reviews on my book blog Fluttering Butterflies

I was very intrigued to read The Name on Your Wrist by Helen Hiorns after it was selected to be the first winner of the Sony Young Movellas award. Helen Hiorns is only 19 years old and a university student at Sheffield! I'm very impressed and in awe that so many young people are as creative and dedicated enough to have completed a novel and to have entered such a competition. So, well done Helen!

The Name on Your Wrist was cer
DubaiReader
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A clever concept.

This book started out with a great concept, the idea that a name secretly appears on your wrist at the age of about 3 years, and this is the person you are destined to spend your life with, your soul-mate. So what happens if you can't find that person or, when you find them, there's no connection?

Corin, however, is not happy with this, she wants to choose for herself, or even to choose not to have a life partner at all. She works her way through several lads named Thomas, or der
H.L.
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the debut novel from the winner of the inaugural Sony Young Movellist Award – and boy can you see why it won!
The story is set in an undefined future where society is tempered by some unusual rules. In particular is the rule that you must never reveal the name on your wrist. The Carpinomen appears a few years after birth and signifies the name of your soul mate. We uncover the nature of this new world through the eyes of Corin: A young woman who wants nothing more than to escape the life
Big Book Little Book
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Caroline for www.bigbookittlebook.com
Copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was introduced to The Name On Your Wrist at a bloggers event over the summer. Learning about the conception of the book, via the Sony Young Movellist Award, and hearing the synopsis, I was very keen to get my hands on a copy. Despite not being able to fit the book in to my reading schedule earlier, I was still so excited to get my teeth in to this book that I decide to go against my original plan f
Hannah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this ebook when it first came available on the son ereader shop and fell in love with it. Its been an obsession of mine to read a ton of modern dystopian books as of late and this one definitely didn't disappoint.

I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to the main character and I love that, because you don't necessarily have to love the main character in order to love the book, the writing, or the fleshed out characters. Corin is the teenager that everyone can relate to in some w
Katey Lovell
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. It sounded part romance, part dystopia, part fantasy, part futuristic sci fi...almost as if it was a book with a split personality which didn't know which genre it wanted to be.

However, I was totally wrong to try and judge it. The Name on Your Wrist is one of the most truly original books I have ever read. Set in the future, where life is lived within a strict set of rules, the major development within the human race is that everybody has a name perma
Esther
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
As always, I will try and keep this review brief.

Reasons I liked this book:
- Great, imaginative plot that had me fully engaged throughout the entire story. All in all, a very interesting read. The plot was also realistic, even though it is obviously fiction, and did not come across as too fantasy-like.
-CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. I could actually see the change in character, and the main characters grew emotionally. At the
Anjuma
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it's really good and it totally captivated me but I didn't get satisfied with the ending (although most of the time I never am satisfied with the endings!). It's what you would expect to be an amazing story full of mystery. This book had gotten the Sony Young Movellist Of The Year and was chosen by Malorie Blackman.

Corin lives in the future where every child is born with a carpinomen- the name of your anima-vinculum(your soul mate in Latin) was written on your wrist forever and
Tammi
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel had me hooked within the first few pages and I wasn't able to put it down until the early hours of the morning. Not many books have made me not want to sleep until I had read everything.
The storyline is extremely original, a girl living in a time where your soul mate/other half is determined for you and written on your wrist where the only one allowed to see it is you, where it is illegal to be without certain electronic items and your life is basically chosen for you, an idea that c
Kelsey Bennett
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book I found myself having to re-read parts (and pages!!) as I found it quite hard to understand the language used but once I got it I LOVED IT. I want more Helen Hiorns if this is what I get.

So when you are about 3/4 you get a name on your wrist that is your 'sole mate' that you do not show to anyone...DO NOT SHOW ANYONE NOT EVEN YOUR MUM OR DAD (...and your bestest best friend).

A person with the name that is on your wrist will have yours on theirs and you are meant t
Denise
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
In the future Corin lives in, everything is decided for her - including who she'll spend her life with. Each person has a name written on their wrist, their carpinomen, the name of their soulmate. It's every person's biggest secret, never to be shared with another unless theirs is the name you carry around with you. The search for one's soulmate is one of the most important parts of one's life. But Corin doesn't want to search, and she most certainly doesn't want to be found. Fed up with having ...more
Yvonne
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
The Name On Your Wrist is a fantastic debut novel from the winner of The Sony Young Movellist competition. Set in the future were everyone has their soulmate's name printed on their wrist, Helen Hiorns has managed to create a world so different and yet so similar to the world we live in today. The main character Corin is feisty, daring and unpredictable leaving the reader unable to predict the direction that the story will take. The ending is brilliant and leaves itself open for a sequel or/and ...more
Hannah Davies
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
That was one hell of a book!!

The concept of having your soul mates name on your wrist intrigued me from the start, but the twists and turns were not what I expected. I was half expecting it to be a bit soppy and overly sentimental, but it was gritty and messy and thoroughly entertaining.

My only complaint... it ended to soon!! Would love to have seen what happened next, what Corin decision really meant - but I suppose it leaves room for a sequel!? Here's hoping!
Anid Harker
2017 edit, because 3 years later this book is still in my head: here's a longer review https://anidharker.tumblr.com/post/16...
Keeping the stars, but they're objectively reflecting the quality, not subjectively reflecting my tastes.

Subtly but effectively constructed world, interesting first person narrator character, unexpected end: tick, tick, tick. Pretty much overall better than I expected when I picked it up.
Lily
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I very much liked this book and was impressed by the fact that it was quite well written. I could relate to Corin's personality even though she was in a bad mood all of the time. I thought there were a lot of smart plot twists in which I would like to see how it pans out in book two, which also makes me think. IS THERE A BOOK TWO?
  • Riot
  • Cross My Heart
  • The Memory Hit
  • Land
  • Monster
  • Kite Spirit
  • Nothing But Blue
  • The Double Shadow
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Ruination (Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Noble Conflict
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • Dear Dylan
  • The Disgrace of Kitty Grey
  • Chorus (Coda #2)
Helen Hiorns is twenty and is studying Philosophy at Sheffield University. She has been writing online for about six years, and was backpacking around Europe with friends when she found out her debut novel The Name on Your Wrist had been selected as the winner of the first Sony Young Movellist of the Year Award.
“People are unpredictable and predictable at the same time: it seems that whenever you want someone to surprise you they remain themselves, and those who were actually OK screw themselves over some way or another. People make stupid decisions on a regular basis but, worse, have stupid reasons for those decisions-because people are broken then forced together again in ways that they were probably never intended to be.” 2 likes
“I was hoping you'd be unconscious.” 2 likes