Start by marking “This Sky” as Want to Read:
This Sky

This Sky

When he touches me, the sky and the earth switch places

Gemma Sayers has spent the last six days rotting in a hotel room, wallowing in a noxious combination of gin, junk food and self-pity. She’s no stranger to disappointment but nothing could have prepared her for the chaos that unfolded when her celebrity boyfriend publicly humiliated her. Now the fairytale is officially
Published August 12th 2014 (first published August 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about This Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Sky

Release date: August 12, 2014
Rating:4.5 stars
Cliffhanger:No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Autumn Doughton is a bonafide artist with words. I enjoyed this story, but most of all, I loved the writing in this book. I'm a sucker for metaphorical writing that resembles poetry and that is exactly what you find in this story. There is such a richness to Autumn's writing, I want to sink into it and never come up for air.

Truly.

There is such
Maayan
I loved this book SO MUCH!
It was so refreshing !! It was funny and romantic and awe inspiring !! The writing was phenomenal and I couldn't put it down!! Gemma & Landon were AMAZING together! I highly recommend :D
Kelli C
4 and maybe even a tad bit more Stars!

I really liked this read. It was sweet and gentle, yet emotional and romantic at the same time.

Quick Recap: Gemma Sayers is suffering a break-up of epic proportions. She was dumped publicly thru a scandal featuring her hot actor boyfriend. She flees the life of LA and heads to find peace with her lifelong friend. She is immediately welcomed into a life "family" of sorts. She is also put in the vicinity of a very solemn, yet very handsome loner Landon Young.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

4.5 Stars GR really needs a 1/2 star option - this was more than a 4 but not quite the 5.

“I’m recovering from a broken heart.”
“I’m recovering from a broken life.”

I want to hug this book! I fell head over heels in love with the characters, their story and Autumn Doughton’s wonderful lyrical prose in This Sky. Wow! The way this author would describe a scene! I could envision every demonstrative moment, every nuance of her characters and her vividly descriptive, exquisitely poetic prose had
Mariam
Damn.
That's all I can say because I'm so in love right now.
I'm in what you would call a honey-moon phase. That phase after you finish a wonderful book and get all these weird and warm feelings inside you. When you can't stop gushing about it and remembering every single scene from the book.
I'm really happy now. I would still be smiling if World War III broke out right now. I might even give the doughnut I'm eating right now to a stranger just because I feel so good.
The writing was just...sigh...
Imani
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

This Sky tells the story of Gemma Sayers who's semi-famous boyfriend cheated on her, fucking a waitress in the bathroom videotaped. She's humiliated and doesn't go out for 5 days straight.

Then when her best friends lets her move in with her in San Diego she does and meets her friends, friend. She meets Landon Young, the brother of one of the friends. He use to be a pro surfer until something went wrong.

What I really loved about this book was that it was told both in Gemma and Landon's POV and al
Anne OK
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
A troubled surfer and a down on her luck wanna-be actress start a friends with benefits relationship. As they fight their demons and their past troubles together, they soon become much more seriously involved. Sounds pretty standard -- but believe me, it turned out to be something much more than I expected. Gemma and Landon were wonderfully drawn characters that caught my attention and held it from start to finish. They needed cheering-on at certain points in their story, and I gave them plenty. ...more
Autumn Doughton
Aug 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Thank you all so much for reading! This has been a wild, emotional year for me and I'm so happy to finally bring you this story. The first chapter is available on my blog or right here. I hope you enjoy!

Ashleyjo
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
So, I recently read "In This Moment," also by Doughton, and I praised the author's voice and writing style but had serious issues with the lack of plot umph and layers and a very unsatisfying ending.

Ehhh, I feel like I've almost had the same experience with this book.

Again, the author has a stealthy poetic flow to her writing. She uses analogies that make you feel... Make you see her words. She has a true talent as a wordsmith.

And, again, she has the same problem with her story lacking that u
Komal Kant
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Autumn Doughton, and once again she did not fail to deliver with her latest release. This Sky is a beautiful book about heartbreak, ghosts of the past, and slowly finding your way again.

I loved the premise of the novel and was hooked from the first page. When Gemma and Landon meet, sparks fly, and I couldn't wait to see how their story would progress. What ensued was a beautiful story about two people trying to overcome difficult circumstances. The chemistry between Gemma and
Pamela Sparkman
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I have been thinking about this book all weekend. I read it all at once...in one sitting because I was captivated by the phenomenal writing of Autumn Doughton.

I lied.
I wanted you from that moment.
I wanted you, wrapped in starlight and reflections,
To be tied up with strings.
And ropes.
And chains.
I wanted you hanging around my neck
Like a charm I could press to my heart and
Make three wishes on.

I love to read. When I'm not writing I'm reading so there's always a book close by. Sometimes I smile
Emma
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy Amazeballs Batman! That is how you write a new adult book!!! Every other book I have read in this genre suddenly seems so mediocre, the writing was magical. I NEED to read everything else written by this author, like right now.
Maria Malamitam
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I honestly cannot wait for Autumn Doughton's fourth book! My eyes are itching to read it.. I will be patiently waiting, even for just a blurp. :)
Kristin
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AHHH! SIX STARS!

“But Kristin! You only have five stars.” -Haters.

Well to that I say. “Ha! … And you’re not the boss of me.”

I give this book SIX stars.

This is was the Autumn Doughton book I was least excited for, but by far my FAVORITE.

Do yourself- and the world- a favor and read this book.

This is was New Adult is supposed to be, people!!. This whole genera can’t decided if it’s erotica or terrible contemporary. But don't worry, we have a savior!! We have Autumn!! She’s real guys!!

Steamy, but n
Clista
Autumn Doughton has a new Fan! I fell in love with her words from the first page. I read a lot. I have a lot of favorite books and authors. This Sky rocked me. I love the lyrical prose of her writing style. It was so fluid and engaging to fall into the story. Gemma and Landon are rich characters that will steal your heart. They both have haunted pasts that they would rather not disclose to each other. They just want to be. Oh. My. Goodness. Their relationship grows at a beautiful pace. There is ...more
Tangerine
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

4.5 ★s

I loved this book! I didn't expect to and went into it hoping that I would at least like it. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, the storyline (though it's not really anything new), and the writing was beautiful. I could see it all playing out in my head while reading. I just finished it minutes ago and I wish you could see the huge smile it has left on my face. I absolutely loved it!
Cath
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. Wow for a book I was going to ditch after the first 10% I am bloody glad I didn't! I really enjoyed this in the end and I'm just sad I didn't connect in the beginning. What great writing. "Maybe the point isn't whether or not you become a moth or a butterfly. Maybe the point is that, either way, you've got wings".
Erica
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I love this story! Autumn is truly an artist!
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
This was a beautiful read and totally heartfelt (full review to come)
Anna Jackson
Loved this book and all of it's awesomeness!
Joanie
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
THIS BOOK WAS SO AWESOME!!! There was so much passion in the words & in the characters! I swear to you every time I read Autumn Doughton's books, I can feel everything!

Landon & Gemma's story was so full of feeling. I swear every time I read one of Autumn Doughton's books, I can feel what her characters feel. It's a pretty amazing feeling to read a book like that. It's amazing to feel that love, that hurt, the need.

I loved loved loved Gemma! I typically don't care for the female in the books as m
Marynea Collina
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovely-prose
I wish I could say This Sky would be memorable, but sadly, that's not the case. It would be a lie if I said I didn't like it, since I did anyway. The prose was beautiful, but not enough for me to crack myself open over it.

One thing perhaps that stood out to me was how This Sky had reminded me of the books I used to read when I was younger. Obviously, this is a book that I would have devoured with all my heart if I was sixteen and more aware of my sadness than anything.

Since I don't particularl
Adeline
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
"It's not about keeping safe behind fences and guardrails. It's about wading out to the edge"

I really really loved this book! It was cute, it was simple (in a good way), it was romantic, it was beautiful.

I love Autumn's writing, she has a way with words, and it gets me every single time.

The characters were great: Gemma is one of those characters you instantly like and can relate to: she's funny, she's smart and she quotes books, songs or movies all the time. Landon is incredibly nice and cute, a

Brandi {BusyBwith3}
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This Sky is full of...

Bubbles. Yep, the big fat kind from one of those giant holy wands!

Every kind...love bubbles that pop, bubbles that just float along, bubbles that clump together, bubbles that flat out PoP, and bubbles that reach for the sun and make you laugh because you love those damn bubbles! (Metaphor for joy, bare with me. AD inspired me...Lol)

Every word AD writes makes you float. She weaves and wraps the words around your brain. The pictures are right there in front of your face! I c
Danielle Fisher
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had EVERYTHING that I love in a story. Snark, fun, light-hearted love mixed with depth, feels, non-stereotypical characters, and a believable plot. I love a story that can give me an experience, instead of giving me a Girl Meets Boy They Fall In Love. I read a romance a day, sometimes two. It's both an addiction and a drain because sometimes I feel like all storylines are just an extension of a storyline already written. Doughton does a great job breathing new life into the romance gen ...more
J.A. DeRouen
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books where I kick myself for waiting so long to read it. The writing was captivating - I put my kindle highlighter to work on this one. LOL! It’s difficult to pinpoint what exactly I loved about this book, other than to say it was the perfect mix of everything. It left me with a wonderful warm fuzzy feeling and a need to read more from this “new to me” author. Trust me, you want to read this one!!
Chu
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Since I'm excited, I'm uploading my teasers for now! Review will be up tomorrow!!!

❤️Melanie G.
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow...what a refreshing story. It was filled with humor, sadness, friendship, loss, love and discovery. Gemma & Landon find each other at low points in their lives. Each is looking for something but yet hiding away from everything. The path they embark on leads them to each other yet themselves.

The writing was brilliant and beautiful. You feel as if you are on the beach with sand under your feet and the ocean flowing over them.

Great read and totally recommend!!
Kristy Love
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure beauty. The words were lyrical and beautiful and full of so much meaning that it's hard to write an adequate review. From the first page, the first line of the opening poem, I was hooked. It continued on from there. I couldn't put it down. I neglected everything as I was lost in the words and the story and the characters. I've already one-clicked the author's other books. I cannot WAIT to dive in!
BiblioFangirl
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book had been on my kindle for a very long time. Partly because I have so much on my kindle I get overwhelmed, and partly because I clicked it when it was free and I was nervous. How often do free books end up being worth anything?

I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It deserved it. This book is such a great read. I loved the journey I was taken on and I really loved the characters. The writing was gorgeous. The descriptions rich and amazing. I highly, highly recommend this book!

• Revved (Revved, #1)
  • This Is Forever (This is, #4)
  • Sweet Fall (Sweet Home, #2; Carillo Boys, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • Half Truths (Secret Society, #1)
  • The Lies We Tell (The Four, #1)
  • Fighting to Breathe (Shooting Stars, #1)
  • Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1)
  • Guy Hater (Fisher Brothers, #2)
  • No Bad Days (Fisher Brothers, #1)
  • Happenstance 3 (Happenstance, #3)
  • Heartless Box Set: Episodes 1-3
  • Happenstance (Happenstance, #1)
  • Jamie McGuire YA Bundle: Happenstance + Providence
  • She Dims the Stars
  • Twisted Kingdom (Royal Elite, #3)
  • Out of Line (Out of Line, #1)
  • Steel Princess (Royal Elite, #2)
I write books. Fun books. Books for you, your best friend, your favorite barista and that girl you knew back in the tenth grade. I like to write about the things I know. Things like being confused. Being afraid. Falling in love.

When I’m not writing, I’m usually chasing after my two daughters, two dogs, two chinchillas, three cats and one lovely husband. You can find all of us in Florida, where it’