Start by marking “A Means To An End: The Biological Basis Of Aging And Death” as Want to Read:
A Means To An End: The Biological Basis Of Aging And Death

A Means To An End: The Biological Basis Of Aging And Death

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Why do we age? Is aging inevitable? Will advances in medical knowledge allow us to extend the human lifespan beyond its present limits? Because growing old has long been the one irreducible reality of human existence, these intriguing questions arise more often in the context of science fiction than science fact. But recent discoveries in the fields of cell biology and mol ...more
Hardcover
Published April 22nd 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about A Means To An End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Means To An End

Jesse
May 20, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: sciency
This book is totally fascinating, and William R. Clark's "Sex and the Origins of Death" is one of the books that got me reading about science, but I can't read more than a page or two before I have to put it down. It strikes just a little too close to the heart - I don't find I'm able to detach myself enough from the emotional side of mortality and dying to really get absorbed in the science.

His writing is clear and focused and hits the balance between challenging the non-scientist reader and dr
Emily
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, biology
This book is a good start if you want to know about the basics of aging, the evolutionary basis of aging, and why we age. It has actually made more interested in geriatrics and gerontology. The only problem I h ad with this book that it sometimes repeated itself, and wasn't always clear with how it presented itself.
Travis Adam
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Written in English, a bit out of date (Human Genome Project is now complete) but otherwise the concepts are relatively timeless. The last chapter drones on but otherwise it was worth my time.
Brent
Mar 13, 2008
Rich
Dec 19, 2012
Emil
Jan 17, 2016
Vicki Bowser-Clifford
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2015
is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2013
Colleen
Dec 23, 2013
William R. Clark is Professor Emeritus of Immunology in the Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of a number of books about biology, immunology, and evolution, including Sex and the Origins of Death, A Means to an End: The Biological Basis of Aging and Death, and The New Healers: The Promise and Problems of Molecular ...more
More about William R. Clark...