Start by marking “Father and Son (John Ray #2)” as Want to Read:
Father and Son (John Ray #2)

Father and Son

(LS9 #2)

Someone wants you dead. You don’t know who. Or why...

John Ray is called to the scene of a violent murder. The victim is an old associate of John’s dad, local crime boss Tony Ray. There’s no obvious motive for the crime, but everybody agrees on one thing: don’t tell the police.

John, the Cambridge-educated white sheep of the Ray family, has always refused to be part of his f
Published June 9th 2013 by Storm Books (first published June 1st 2013)

Start your review of Father and Son (John Ray #2)
Frank Roberto
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The books keep getting better!!!

Another great book by John Barlow!! This book was a little different from the first one. It went more into the dealings of John Rays Father. It reminded me of The Godfather. The father was Don Corleone. His brother was Sonny Corleone who unfortunately suffered the same fate. John was Michael Corleone because he never wanted to be the men that his father and older brother became. He wanted to be a legitimate businessman. I can't wait to see what happens in the next
Bernadette Mcgoldrick
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written

There's a few little grammar/spelling mistakes, but nothing major. The story itself is compelling and definitely worth the read. This is the second in the series but enjoyable as a stand alone book.
Keith Nixon
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roberto Swales is found murdered, tortured then beaten to death, a champagne cork deliberately left at the scene. John Ray, son of local crime boss Tony Ray, is asked to investigate the crime. However, he’s not the only one that wants to know who killed Swales. And why.

This is a solid, well written story which I enjoyed reading. Even though it is the second in a series (the LS9 series about the Ray family) it works well as a stand-alone and it did not matter reading out of order.

The characters
A.C. Flory
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that John Barlow is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, indie or otherwise, and he doesn't write science fiction! What he writes is the thinking [wo]man's crime.

Long before I ever read my first science fiction novel, I read a psychological 'crime' thriller by the famous Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. The book was called 'Crime and Punishment' and has been my benchmark for character development ever since. Decades later I read Ian Rankin [Rebus] and Robert Wilson
Randy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a welcome return to the world of John Ray, son of a retired mobster, the white sheep of the family. He has no desire for that life, but keeps getting drawn back in. He'd been standing beside his brother when the shots took his life. He'd help find the real killer when a friend had been accused. Lanny Bride, who now ran his father's old business, the real business, also wanted the killer found.

His Father, Tony, the victim of several hear attacks, lives in a retirement home.

John gets called
Brenda Todd
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crime novels, of the mafia style, typically are not something I choose to read. But I’m glad I picked this one up. This is the second book in the John Ray series and I haven’t read the first. However, I had no difficulty following the events or characters as they story played out.

John Ray, the only remaining son in the Tony Ray family, spent most of his life trying to escape the ‘family’. But escape seems to be impossible when an old friend, Roberto, is murdered. Lanny Bride, his father’s protég
Bert
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of nine John Ray crime mystery novels. I like mysteries set in the British Isles, especially when they're authored by a male who's got a Ph.D. in language arts. This author has also been a ghost writer for others with less talent bet whose names are more catchy. Our protagonist is the youngest son of a Spanish immigrant to England, who like many immigrants does what it takes to succeed. Initially that meant dealing in counterfeit purfumes, then forged £20 bank notes. John decided to ...more
Cheryl
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this three and a half stars but since I couldn't, I rounded it up to four.

The story is gripping. John Ray is the white sheep of a criminal family. His brother died violently, his former crime lord father is in a nursing home, and John tries hard to stay on the right side of the law. But events always conspire against him.

When a man John remembers fondly from childhood, a crony of his now elderly father, is tortured and murdered, John agrees with the others on the scene the cops
Joyce
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Ray tries really hard to stay out of trouble. He is the white sheep of his mob family and again finds himself as a suspect in a murder(s). As he tries to figure out the connection of each of the victims he makes some disturbing discoveries.

John again teams up with Den, his detective ex-girlfriend, who he hasn't seen for a year. Den has gone to another police department after their last case. (You can read all about that in Hope Road). Although reluctant, she agrees to help John. Together th
Jan
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Ray is the son of a known criminal family who does not want to be a part of the family business, but is pulled into it anyway. Add an ex girlfriend who is a cop, an investigative reported, a childhood nemesis and a cop who hates the Ray family and you come up with a book that's a real “page turner” The book begs the question can anyone really escape their past.
While the book is not a true story, it certainly could be. It was quite easy to forget I was reading fiction. The IRA is/was real an
Carlin
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
This is the second book in the John Ray series of mysteries by John Barlow and I loved it as much as the first (Hope Road). Barlow has captured a part of the Yorkshire (England) underworld intersecting with the police in this novel about a series of murders that relate back to a 20 year old crime. The women characters are strong and intelligent. The main male characters are flawed in ways that are connected with relationships from their teen years. According to the notes about the author the ser ...more
Del
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk
I enjoyed the second book, Father and Son, in the John Ray series. It was good to once again catch up with John Ray, Denise, Lanny Bride and the other characters from the first book.

John Ray sets out to find the connection between the murder of a journalist, his dad Tony Ray's old criminal associates. Many twits and turns leads to the revelation of their connection and why they were murdered.

I enjoyed reading his book and would recommend it, as well as the first book, Hope Road.
Irene Adam
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. John Ray is the son of a gangster. He is trying to live a life apart from the family business. A string of murders linked to his father and to old crimes with red herrings leads John reconnect with a detective, his former lover, and to the killer and the truth. John Barlow has written a fast paced and exciting book that I found very hard to put down and I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Brian Woodward
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you need a good page turner

A good follow on from the first Johnny Ray novel. Fast moving and well developed, John becomes a bit of a cliche but it works for me. I did on occasion think he should "get a grip" _ maybe in the next, there will surely be another follow up _ he will. I for one will look forward to it.
Elaine
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Hope Road gives us more of John Ray, and we learn more about his attempts to go straight. The pacing of this book and the plot twists are much better than the first book, and I didn't want to put it down until I was finished. There are a few areas where some proofreading would have helped, but it's not bad enough to be distracting. Now I am looking forward to more of these books! ...more
Jo
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story but found some of the self loathing a bit repetitive and annoying, also because I had read the first book I found that I didn't enjoy rea rereading these parts either hence the 3 stars ...more
Kathy H
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I like John Barlow's writing. This book is rather more violent than I usually care for; however the main character John Ray is an engaging almost good-guy, the almost not-involved son of an old crime boss in Leeds, UK. This is #2 in the series. Hope Road is the first novel.
Nmk
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Father and Son

I read Hope Road several years ago and thought it terrific. Father and Son, I found even better. Admittedly, I do have a crush on John Ray. The novel is well written and draws you in - never letting go.
Dale
Very readable, engaging characters and plot.
Rosalyn
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
loved this just as much as the first one. fast paced and with twists that i did not guess. I hope there will be more books to follow.
Claire
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Loved getting to know the characters again, and a much more conclusive ending this time. Fab!
Mervyn
Suzy
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• NearDeath
  • Stealing Power (Detectives India Kane & AJ Colt, #1)
  • The Hit (Will Robie, #2)
  • The Taste of Fear
  • The Note (Eddie Collins, #3.5)
  • Strange Little Girl (DCI John Blizzard #2)
  • The £20 Note: A Crime Adventure Novella set in London, England (Follow The Money: A Tale of Tales Book 1)
  • The Innocent (Will Robie, #1)
  • After Jessica
  • The Mystery of Malaysian Airlines 370
  • Home Remedies for Ulcers (ulcer, stomach ulcer, peptic ulcer, ulcer symptoms, stomach ulcer symptoms, ulcer treatment, mouth ulcer, mouth ulcers, cold sore, cold sore remedies, cold sores)
  • Rosecliff Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #2)
  • Jessie’s Story: Heroism, heartache and happiness in the wartime women’s forces (The Girls Who Went to War, Book 1)
  • Death at the Dog (Inspector Guy Northeast #2)
  • Bed of Bones (Sloane Monroe, #5)
  • London Road Linked Stories Volume 1
  • Forgotten Crimes
  • High Heels in New York
John Barlow's prize-winning fiction and non-fiction has been published by HarperCollins/William Morrow, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 4th Estate and various others in the UK, US, Australia, Russia, Italy, Germany, Spain and Poland.

description

description

His current project is the Joe Romano crime thriller series. The first novel, RIGHT TO KILL, is out in the UK with HQ/HarperCollins on June 24th, 2021.

***