Start by marking “The Change Your Name Store” as Want to Read:
The Change Your Name Store

The Change Your Name Store

A staggering 93% of picture books feature Caucasian main characters. The spunky Wilma Lee Wu changes that.

Meet Wilma Lee Wu, a spirited girl whose quest for a new name takes her around the world.

Largely ignored by her slacker parents and constantly annoyed by her brother, Wilma Lee Wu marches to the Change Your Name Store where she meets Zeena McFouz, the outrageous owner
Published May 20th 2014 by Sky Pony (first published May 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Change Your Name Store, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change Your Name Store

Nola
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wilma Lee Wu doesn't like her name, so she goes to the 'Change Your Name' store to find a new one. The owner insists that she try out each name first. Each name indicates a different nationality and she finds herself in each country, including France, Bahrain, Belize, and Kenya. But will any name suit as well as her own?

An original story with educational value as we get a glimpse of the different countries. Good illustrations too, with lots to look at.
Kris Dersch
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
Viviane Elbee
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The little girl in this book wants to change her name, so she goes to a special name store and tries on names. Each time she tries on a name, she lands in a different country / culture.

If you're looking for an appreciate-your-name and your background sort of theme, this is an amusing story and the artwork is lovely.

However, if you're looking to introduce children to different cultures, this is not the best choice. (Explaining that this is a fictional work and that Wilma's experiences abroad ar
Erin Gingerich
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what my 2nd graders need to see. They've been stuck in a world of "sames" and are not learning to respect and honor the differences around them!
Julie
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Here's what I've learned in the week The Change Your Name Store has been in my house: kids think about names. A lot. The main character in this book, Wilma Lee Wu, is unhappy with her name, so she seeks out The Change Your Name Store to see if she can find one that suits her better. There's a catch, of course: you pick a name, you must inhabit it completely. So if Wilma considers Babette Bijou, she finds herself in Paris, and if she wants to be Samiya bint Sami al Sala, she's suddenly on the str ...more
Joy Blaser
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wilma Lee Wu likes many things. She likes to read. She likes puzzles. She likes to cook. She even likes to pester her brother. One thing she does not like: her name. It's too boring. She sets off on a mission—to find The Change Your Name Store.

Once there, Ms. Zeena McFouz, the store's proprietor, helps her find many lovely new names. She tries several on for size. She soon discovers that when you take a new name, you must also take the culture of that name. When she chooses Dominga Delfino, she
Katie Logonauts
This Seuss-inspired rhyming story follows the journey of young Wilma Lee Wu as she contemplates changing her name. I appreciate how the story draws connections to names and cultures and that it includes a wide variety of diverse names in the illustrations, but I wish there had been a little bit more to this story. A brief end note about names, meanings, and countries of origin would really have made this a more useful resource for a class discussion instead of just a cute idea.

Reviewed: http://w
Michelle Newman
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If a book full of fun, is something you like
This book is for you, and for your young tyke!
Wilma Lee Wu is the kind of small girl
Who'll make you instantly smile and break out in a twirl!
The story is original, the message is great
It's all told in rhyme, which is something you won't hate!
The illustrations are bold, colorful and fun
They add to the story from page number one!
My kids are grown up, but we all still agree
"The Change Your Name Store" is the best it can be!
Nancy M. Hayes
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is like comfort food - spirited, warm and nourishing. When my grandchildren and other small visitors and I read it together, we smile and understand. The Change Your Name Store offers endless possibilities for conversation about the world. Thank you and hugs Leanne.
Maria
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Change Your Name Store would be a great way to show students that they are who they are. They cannot change who they are because they will not find a place where they fit in better. It could lead students into writing about what they love about their lives.
Sheri
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text tells the story of Wilma Lee Wu who wants a new name. A store for choosing names takes Wilma on a journey to different places trying out new names. And her final choice is one she loves the best of all the choices she has tried. This book could be used as a class story starter to write about what a child would like to be called if they could change their name or something else about themselves for one day.
Raina
While it can be enticing to have someone else's life, sometimes you realize that the life you have today fits you and is just right.
Oluwaseyi Adeniji
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text-set
Genre: Poetry and Verse
This was a cute, rhyming book about a little girl who thought her name was too boring and so she went on a search in the Change your Name Store to find a new one. This book did play off of stereotypes, but I do not think it was done in a bad way. When Wilma chose a name that was French, she was shown with a beret on her head and a cup of tea. When she was given a name that was Arabic she was shown in the market wearing a hijab with different pots, rugs and foods in the bac
Taylor Wilken
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This is a story of a little girl named Wilma Lee Wu. Wilma loved to do lots of different things, but one thing she doesn't love is her name. She was determined to change her name. So she went to the one place that could take care of her problem, the Change Your Name Store. Ms. Zeena McFouz is the woman who runs the store. Zeena helps Wilma try out a few different names. Each name she tried transported her to a different place in the world where the new name belonged. For example, the nam
Linda
With the happiest of illustrations and humorous rhyme, little girl Wilma Le Wu searches for a name that fits. She thinks her name is boring! At the Change Your Name store, she chooses more than one name that sounds wonderful, and off to France, Bahrain, Belize and Africa she goes. Those places happen to be wonderful, but just don’t fit Wilma. After the exploration, a satisfactory solution is found. Read the book to see if you guessed the ending! It’s a great story for discussing names and intere ...more
Aliza Werner
What happens when you want to change your own name to something more exciting? Visit the Change Your Name Store! A delightful adventure as Wilma Lee Wu seeks her unique identity by trying on others' names and cultures. Kids will have a blast looking at the name lists in the store to find their own names or names of classmates, family, and friends. Bright and colorful illustrations give this story even more appeal.
Jana
Many kids feel like they wish they had a different name, so I think there will be a lot of young readers who enjoy this rhyming picture book. Wilma Lee Wu wishes she could change her name. When she goes to the Change Your Name Store, she gets to try on several different names to find one that is right for her. This book would be a good companion to Thunder Boy by Sherman Alexie, which also deals with how special a person's name is.
Eileen
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who hasn't thought about changing their name or maybe tried out a different name when playing as a child? I would be so happy to find out that The Change Your Name Store was nearby where I could go and try out lots of different names and along with the name comes the culture of its background. YaY! I'd be trying out so many names. This is a fun story with great illustrations that will stimulate yours and your child's imagination.
Margie
Written by Leanne Shirtliffe with illustrations by Tina Kugler, The Change Your Name Store showcases diversity and self-acceptance. Cheerful pictures partner with the rhyming story perfectly inviting reader participation. I know readers will be scanning the streets of every town they visit in the future, looking for this fascinating shop.

My full review: http://bit.ly/SZBQ9j
Jenny
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wilma Lee Wu does not like her name. So she heads to the change your name store to try on a few different names. As she tries on a new name, she gets transported to the country where that name might occur. She sees things she likes and things she might not. What name will Wilma settle on? Fun story, fun illustrations with a great message without being at all didactic.
Michele Knott
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is anyone ever satisfied with their name? I know as a kid I dreamed of many names I would rather have than the one I was "stuck" with. Wilma Lee Wu is ready for a change so she visits the Change Your Name Store. If only it was that easy. She tries on many names and takes "a ride" in them by visiting the country of origin. Perfect book for young readers.
Mariana Farcas
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Recommended to all the kids!
Wilma Lee Wu wants to change her name, so she goes to The Change Your Name Store and travels around the world.
Jill Bergman
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A fun story and awesome illustrations!
Rachel
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story and phenomenal illustrations. Way to go, Tina!
Mollie B
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
super rhyming scheme makes this great for storytime! I love it.
Nina
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is a very clever one, my kids really enjoyed it (as did I). We especially loved poring over all of the fabulous details in Tina Kugler's beautiful illustrations!
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
a rhyming book! I thought this book was a lot of fun. what a great idea for a story. I loved the illustrations and the book was just fabulous
Susan