Start by marking “Bully (Fall Away, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bully (Fall Away, #1)

Bully

(Fall Away #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  87,914 ratings  ·  6,485 reviews
This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B00DGT3VL2.

My name is Tate. He doesn't call me that, though. He would never refer to me so informally, if he referred to me at all. No, he'll barely even speak to me.

But he still won't leave me alone.

We were best friends once. Then he turned on me and made it his mission to ruin my life. I've been humiliated
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 318 pages
Published July 17th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services (first published June 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bully, please sign up.
Penelope Douglas Aw, thanks for loving the characters. Aflame will be out April 21, but that will be the last one, I'm afraid. On to new adventures in 2015 :)
Penelope Douglas Hi! Ebooks only for Bully and Until You right now, but the publisher will be reprinting them later next year. The UK versions recently came out,…moreHi! Ebooks only for Bully and Until You right now, but the publisher will be reprinting them later next year. The UK versions recently came out, though, and it's free worldwide shipping on bookdepository.com ;)

Hope that helps!(less)

·  87,914 ratings  ·  6,485 reviews

Start your review of Bully (Fall Away, #1)
Emily May

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

Dear book,

I was ready to like this book. I was ready to be forgiving of the small negatives. I was ready to make excuses for it, try and justify the bad and pretend the good overshadowed it. I don't even remember th
Aestas Book Blog

Bully was a wonderfully addictive read that kept my heart racing from start to finish. I could not put it down! 5 stars!!

He loves me... He loves me not... He loves me... He loves me not...

Jared and Tate grew up next door to each other. Jared was sweet, generous and friendly and they were the best and closest of friends. But not anymore. The kid who had held her hand through the pain of losing her mother, who had climbed trees with her, and who had snuck over for sleepovers was gone and now he seemed to live solelystars!!
He
Penelope Douglas
Jun 23, 2013 marked it as finished-writing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to EVERYONE who has left reviews and messaged with feedback. Truly. As a new author who had no connections and no network, I cannot tell you how much your support has meant. It has been a wonderful year and a half since Bully's release, and now three books later, we complete the circle.

Jared and Tate will continue to finish up the series. Look for Aflame in April 2015!

(Note: This
Kristen
3 Stars – I have very mixed emotions about this book.

While I liked this book for the most and was captivated by the author's realistic portrayal of bullying, I must admit, this book left me with mixed feeling.

Bullying is a real-life problem and I felt the author did a great job showcasing its powerful ability to hurt the human soul while at the same time showing the resilience of the human spirit.

For me, though, this book had some undeniable stumbling blocks. This story was too Young Adult
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
***Re-read 11/11/16: Was talking about this book the other day with blog-wife Maria and felt like a re-read...***

5 HUGE Asshole Stars

I REALLY enjoyed this book.

Now, I know bullying is a serious and highly sensitive issue. And I'm not downplaying that or tying to make light of that.

I am speaking about this strictly as a 30-something, non-impressionable ADULT reading a work of complete fucking fiction.

So I'm not going to get into any social commentary regarding this books portrayal of bullying and all its evil.

My re
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
First off, I admit: I'm a sucker for love/hate stories. And after reading the premise for Bully, I was super psyched to see where it would take me.

Alas, I feel like I've stepped into a trap.

I've come across a thousand FANFICTIONS that were so. much. better. (Hell, comparing it to that feels like an insult to fanfictions themselves.) But this is simply yet another blasted romance novel suffering from the 'new-adult-unoriginal-cliche-itis' that's been circulating around and contaminating 80% of the contemporary books I've read
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 Stars

I had loved Jared once, but now I knew, without a doubt, that "my Jared" was gone.

God. This book. I mean, THIS BOOK. Words fail me to describe just how much I loved this. I've had this in my kindle for what feels like ages since I got it as a freebie way back in 2013. I've seen it making the rounds on Goodreads and for some reason I still hadn't read it. If I can kick my own ass forclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Christy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Crazy good stars!!!!!
 photo 675d5263-c07e-436f-b425-ff16c4af2841_zpsa257d1c3.jpg

For her whole high school career, Tate has been bullied. By one person in particular... Jared. Jared is Tate’s neighbor and used to be Tate’s best friend, but now, he isn’t. He is just someone who enjoys making her life hell.

photo 340a1bbb-32fd-4f26-bc86-93220a3f4f3b_zpsbac637a2.jpg
I had loved Jared once, but now I knew, without a doubt, that ‘my Jared’ was gone.
The worst part about it
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo DouglasBullyTitlebySueBee_zps7ec4472a.jpg
 photo tumblr_mj90nm1buO1rdw96to1_500_zpsac62760f.gif
★★★★! Bully, a debut by Penelope Douglas. Broken, jaded & sexy high school senior deals with the aftermath of having bullied a girl he can’t forget!

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

As the title would indicate this story is about bullying. And as irked and disgusted I am abouforget!
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-43.jpg
____________________________________________

“I like storms. Thunder, torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don’t ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line.”

“I
 photo download-43.jpg

photo 51b11d65bb8bb46eeedf86cfb384eac8.jpg

This book shivered my pulse.
____________________________________________

“On sunny days, as a girl, I could still wake up to that thrilled feeling. You made me giddy with expectation, just like a symphonic rainstorm. You were a tempest in the sun, the thunder in a boring, cloudless sky. I remember I’d shovel in my breakfast as fast as I could, so I could go knock on your door. We’d play all day, only coming home for food and sleep. We played hide and seek, you’d push me on the swing, or we’d climb trees. Being your sidekick gave me a sense of home again.”

photo 99788677c471152886ef44b91ffa5c39.jpg

This book tossed a hurricane into my lungs.
____________________________________________

“You see, when I was ten, my mom died. She had cancer, and I lost her before I really knew her. My world felt so insecure, and I was scared. You were the person that turned things right again. With you, I became courageous and free. It was like the part of me that died with my mom came back when I met you, and I didn’t hurt anymore. Nothing hurt if I knew I had you.”

photo 406c6d2199a44d0e1c57dab48368387f.jpg

This book left crinkles at the corner of eyes like smiling wounds.
____________________________________________

“Then one day, out of the blue, I lost you, too. The hurt returned, and I felt sick when I saw you hating me. My rainstorm was gone, and you became cruel. There was no explanation. You were just gone. And my heart was ripped open. I missed you. I missed my mom. What was worse than losing you was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home.”

photo 4706ecee2bca0cc3d54806dd926d5e40.jpg

This books left teeth marks in my bottom lip.
____________________________________________

“Everything still hurts, but I know none of it is my fault. There are a lot of words that I could use to describe you, but the only one that includes sad, angry, miserable, and pitiful is ‘coward.’ In a year, I’ll be gone, and you’ll be nothing but some washout whose height of existence was in high school.”

photo a26a11fe4f633b2c97f65f97761dcc0c.jpg

This book wrecked my eyelashes.
____________________________________________

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but turns out that pricks in mustangs can still leave scars.”

photo e6d475b28a8a16e2388ed2fc099e68bb.jpg

Probably one of the best books I’ve read in a very, very long time.
____________________________________________

So. Yes, Penelope Douglas.

You’re officially on my radar.

photo Thumbs-UP.gif

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
3,5 STARS

Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you.

Tate and Jared are neighbours and they were best friends...

description
One summer..Jared turned on Tate!He began to bully her..Spreading vicious rumours,humiliating her..Time passed and things get worst..

“What was worse than losing you was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home.”

description

Tate comes back for her senior from France..But coming home she's tiredworst..
“WhatSTARS
Yesterday
Melanie
“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you.”

Hi, my name’s Melanie and all I want to read this summer is New Adult Romances. This is my third Penelope Douglas book and, again, I’m so impressed. I loved Bully and it might be my favorite book of hers I’ve read so far.

Before I go any further, I just want to point out again for people who follow my reviews mostly for the Fantasy I read: I rate smutty books differently than other books! I know many
Ramona
When I think about how I've started reading contemporary romance, the first book that pops in my head is Bully. I was fascinated by a lot of elements, mostly the striking way in which the love scenes were described, but the list can go on forever and ever.

Now looking back after reading around 300 books, I think that "Bully" is unique in plot and in theme provided. There weren't a lot of books that had this approach, making you question the morality of the characters and really raising awareness
• Lisa •
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 FALLING IN LOVE STARS.

"I want to touch you, I want to feel what's mine. What's always been mine."

What's it all about?
Two former friends Jared Trent and Tate Brandt now find themselves as mortal enemies. After years of being inseparable the duo find themselves in the ultimate love/hate relationship. Tate has suffered for years at the hands of Jared's constant taunting and pranks so after a year away in Europe Tate returns to Shelburne falls high school determined to be stronger. In a standoff between hate, lust,STARS.
Rose
Initial thoughts: Not worth the time taken to read. I honestly thought it would be a better read than it actually was - it wasn't terrible in the beginning, but at the same time, as it went on, it glorifies and romanticizes bullying to no end. I have a lot of words to say about this and I'll try to be as constructive as I can about what went wrong with this read after I meditate a bit over it.

Full review:

This is a difficult review for me to write, but I'm going to start this reflection with a few/>Full
Katerina
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: NiCoLeTa E.
I didn't want light and sweet romance.I needed angst and pain and tears and fights and all kinds of feelings.
And I found them all in Bully.
“This is how bullies are made.”

How bullies are made?Is there a reason for their behavior and the pleasure they find in physically and emotionally abusing innocent people?Do they feel a surge of power when they belittle others?I can't say I was a popular girl in school (you see,I was the geek,the perfect student and that didn't exactly make me Miss Congeniality) but the discomfort I sometimes felt wBully.
Clumsy Storyteller

These are my favorite quotes:

“Acting like you don't care is not letting it go.”

i just LOVE THE WHOLE CONCEPT.....can't wait to read the next book! :D
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
ATTENTION ❗ nearly-rape, child-abuse, alcoholism, bullying

“I like storms.
Thunder torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes.
When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation.
Everything is more beautiful in the rain.
Don't ask me why.
But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tates life is a living hell. Jared, her former best friend, is bullying her and making her school life miserable. But after one year gone she’s not the vulnerable weak girl anymore. Now
Bibi
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gaaaaah... oh dear sweet Jesus, someone pls save me from books with unnecessary and excessive angst.
Admittedly, I am not the target demographic and if the author's writing skill hadn't been so darn good, I would have chucked this down to "that book that is loved by everyone else except for me", however, I did enjoy the enemies turned lovers story and I totally get the appeal.

But...

But....

I. Didn't. Like. Tate. She's just so beautiful that all the boys wanted to date her or whatever. 🙄🙄🙄🙄😴😴. Yea/>I./>But...
Jen
”You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

For 3 years Jared has been making Tate’s life a living hell. He taunts her at every turn, makes up nasty stories about her and threatens any guy that even tries to get close to her. The kicker? Tate and Jared were once the best of friends and T
Elena
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
❝There was a time when I had all of his attention and loved it. As much as I wanted him to leave me alone, I also liked how he seemed surprised. I liked the way he was looking at me right now. And then I remembered that I hated him.❞

Bully wasn't really that enjoyable. It was filled with too much drama, annoying characters that deserve to be punched in the face, and wasted time. It was enjoyable when Jared changed, but the beginning of it was boring and not interesting. I've never heard of this author an
✰♊ Angie ♊✰
Holy shite... I L.O.V.E.D. it!!!
I mean, I loved it hard.
I could not put it down.

description
*the GIF above is representative of my excitement for this 5 star read upon my completion of it at 3am.

Who's a sucker for complete alphaholes?

description

Jared is a complete and total alphahole. And, boy, did I lurve the big jerk.

I ca
Lo Bookfrantic

4.5★★★★Stars

Genre: YA-Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone Book 1 of Fall Away Series
POV: First Person – Female

teaser 2 6-28-17

Tatum "Tate" Brandt has been bullied by one person in particular her entire high school years.  She was easily intimidated by him aka Jared.  Jared was once her best friend until he wasn't; and she couldFemale
POV: FirstType: StandaloneGenre: Contemporary
Mo
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is how bullies are made

This one was all over my feeds a few months ago but I think I had been burned by jumping in and reading a FIVE star book that turned out to be only OK for me. So I decided to wait a while before starting this one. Was it good? Yes, it was. I am now 48 = when I started it I sort of said, Maura, do you really want to be reading books about kids who are younger than your son and THIRTY YEARS younger than you??? Not really, but went for it.

This is how bullies are made

“You were
it.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gah, another tough one to review. I don't understand quite a few things that occurred. Really. And I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. A lot of this just didn't make any logical sense.

Jared and Tate used to be besties. The summer of their 14th year, Jared goes to stay with his father for a few weeks and comes home different. Now he hates Tate. When the book begins, they're both 16, and Jared has spent two years bullying Tate. He's also enlisted the help of his friend, Madoc. No one r
Geri Reads
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 surprising stars

Wow! This book really took me by surprise. I haven't read YA in a while but this was a freebie on Amazon right now, so I one-clicked it. I was intrigued by the premise and at the same time cautious because the bullying thing might be too much for me to handle. But I ended up really, really liking it.

What I liked

- I loved the writing. It has great dialogue and really well developed characters. The story didn't lag. There were no wasted dialogue or purple prose which s
Smitten's Book Blog

This is how bullies are made.

Squeeeeeee!!! Freakin' awesome!

I absolutely love love loved this book. This is the definition of a hate-to-love story and it totally rocked. I could not put it down.

I was really craving a book that would make me stop everything I was supposed to be doing and devour every word... and that's exactly what Bully did!

I'd heard the hype about this book and seen lots of my book buddies giving it great reviews and five stars, so I knew I had to give a shot asap. And I'm so pleased I did.

As much as I a
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Find me on Instagram & Twitter!
❝Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you.❞

As some of you may remember, my experience with my first Penelope Douglas book was disastrous. I absolutely despised Corrupt and I almost promised to never to pick up a book by Penelope Douglas ever again if Corrupt was any indication of what her other books were about. But everyone kept telling me to go for Bully because it seemed to be everyone's favorite.

After putting it off for about a year, I/>
Andie
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! 5 STOMACH KNOTTING STARS!

Although it was hard to watch the torment this girl goes through at the hand of one boy, I absolutely loooved this book!! It was so well written, it was hard for me to believe this was a debut novel. I started Bully around midnight two nights ago to help tire my eyes out. Well one thing led to another and next thing I knew, it was 5:00 am. Sleep was completely forgotten as I made my way through the entire book in one sitting! I couldn't stop reading
destini mia
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is how bullies are made.

With a love for cars, racing and rainy days, Tate and Jared were inseparable. They were the perfect picture of friendship. And when Jared comes back from a summer with his father Tate expects everything to be like it was.
She was wrong.
Her sweet best friend is now gone and in place is a cruel version of him. A bully. And his target? Her.
Fortunately she gets the chance to study in France her junior year, the only problem is that in a year, she’ll have to come back.

I used to love p

• Fear Me (Broken Love, #1)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1)
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • Stepbrother Dearest
  • Fallen Crest High (Fallen Crest High, #1)
  • Paper Princess (The Royals, #1)
  • Fear You (Broken Love, #2)
  • Fallen Too Far (Rosemary Beach, #1; Too Far, #1)
  • Boys of Brayshaw High (Brayshaw, #1)
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
  • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Trouble at Brayshaw High (Brayshaw, #2)
  • Untouchable
  • Broken Prince (The Royals, #2)
Penelope Douglas is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. Her books have been translated into fourteen languages and include The Fall Away Series, The Devil’s Night Series, and the stand-alones, Misconduct, Punk 57, and Birthday Girl. Please look for Kill Switch (Devil’s Night #3), available now.

She lives in Las Vegas with her husband and their daughter.

*represented b

Fall Away (4 books)
  • Rival (Fall Away, #2)
  • Falling Away (Fall Away, #3)
  • Aflame (Fall Away, #4)
“I like storms. Thunder torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don't ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line. On sunny days, as a girl, I could still wake up to that thrilled feeling. You made me giddy with expectation, just like a symphonic rainstorm. You were a tempest in the sun, the thunder in a boring, cloudless sky. I remember I’d shovel in my breakfast as fast as I could, so I could go knock on your door. We’d play all day, only coming back for food and sleep. We played hide and seek, you’d push me on the swing, or we’d climb trees. Being your sidekick gave me a sense of home again. You see, when I was ten, my mom died. She had cancer, and I lost her before I really knew her. My world felt so insecure, and I was scared. You were the person that turned things right again. With you, I became courageous and free. It was like the part of me that died with my mom came back when I met you, and I didn’t hurt if I knew I had you. Then one day, out of the blue, I lost you, too. The hurt returned, and I felt sick when I saw you hating me. My rainstorm was gone, and you became cruel. There was no explanation. You were just gone. And my heart was ripped open. I missed you. I missed my mom. What was worse than losing you, was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home. Everything still hurts, but I know none of it is my fault. There are a lot of words that I could use to describe you, but the only one that includes sad, angry, miserable, and pitiful is “coward.” I a year, I’ll be gone, and you’ll be nothing but some washout whose height of existence was in high school. You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.” 713 likes
“Yesterday lasts forever.