Start by marking “Resurrection Bay” as Want to Read:
Resurrection Bay

Resurrection Bay

From New York Times bestselling author Neal Shusterman comes a thrilling, spine-tingling 32-page original short story that's perfect for fans of Unwind and UnWholly.

Bones. They know the call of the ice.

Anika knows the call of the ice, too. Living in an isolated port town in Alaska with her father and younger brother, Anika is practically steps away from the Harding Icefiel
Published October 1st 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection Bay

Start your review of Resurrection Bay
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Neil (or bleed)

A tragic and dark short story told by a young girl, Anika who lives in a town called Seward located at the head of Resurrection Bay, Alaska and who is a witness to a supernatural phenomenon which started with newlyweds getting killed at the Exit Glacier. Unknown to the townspeople, the said tragedy is only the beginning of an unthinkable misfortune that will plague the entire town.

It’s notable how a short, horror story touched by the element of diversity could not only give the creeps
Rachel Maniacup
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Neil (or bleed)
This is the 2nd horror short story I've read and I must say that I enjoyed reading this one than the first,because this short story is surprisingly horrifying!

This is a story about a place (Exit Glacier), where a newly wed couple tragically died and Anika,the MC and the narrator of this story thinks that this place is some sort of an evil,sinister thing that wants something.

The ending crept me out,but it fascinated me as well..I guess,I might want to read one of this author's full length books s
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
Resurrection Bay is about a peculiar kind of glacier, it's chilling. (Pun not intended.) It is a slice-of-life kind of novel but later on got a dash of paranormal that made the story intriguing and enthralling to read.

It is also eerie and touching at the same time. It may be short but it surely fascinated me with the climax and reveal of what this book is all about.

I actually want more on this book but I thought this novella being a novella were enough to convey a haunting story of living near
Storm Arashi
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Neal Shusterman.

This was eerie, just eerie from start to finish and made my heart break a little too. What a way to take on the zombie and make something truly chilling.

Well done! Five stars!
La Coccinelle
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, that was creepy.

This was actually quite an entertaining story. It didn't really need to be any longer than it was; the short story format worked well here. While there wasn't quite enough time to properly develop all the characters, it didn't really matter; the real core of this story was its premise.

I haven't read anything else by Neal Shusterman yet, but if this short story is indicative of his writing style, I might like to try one of his full-length novels in the future.

Quotable moment
Abigail
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story, shocking, and surprisingly unpredictable.
Well written, and well thought out.
Great read
Marilyn
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice story !
I bought it on Kobo because it's at a fairly low price (1$) and I really enjoyed the Unstrung short story. I didn't find this one as amazing as Unstrung, but it was definitely worth the read !
Roger Mcdaniel
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this great short story by accident, but I'm glad I did. For the first 25% or so, I was thinking, this doesn't sound like a Neal Shusterman story at all - but then he hits you with a great twist. Well done, Neal. Keep them coming.
Jess
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very creepy, engrossing short story. I've never been a fan of short stories because there isn't enough time for much character building. However, that was not a problem in this 32 page story-very flushed out; only wish it had continued to a definite ending. ...more
Matt
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ouch, Shusterman. This reads like a bad NanoWriMo submission.
Krystal
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well... that was disturbing...
Lianne Burwell
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, horror, short-stories
An interesting little story set in (presumably) Alaska, where the local glacier starts acting... strangely. An intriguing little snippet.
Tim
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good short story about... well, I'm not sure exactly what it was about, but it was interesting. A battle of good versus evil and ice. ...more
Hanako
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short spooky story for a quick diversion on the plane or at the beach
NerdWhoLovesToRead
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: neal-shusterman
As a short story that Neal intended this to be, I think it turned out to be quite successful for its nature. It is interesting, thrilling, snarky, emotional, mysterious and has a unique plot unlike anything I've read.

Though I can't help but think that this book could've easily been turned into a full length novel. It would've been amazing! It has the potential too. Neal could've explored the consequences of the said deal in here. How the person changes exactly after what happens here to him/her
Bekah
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on Books Cats Tea

Looking for something to get you out of your reading slump? Look no further. At a whopping 32 pages Resurrection Bay is a super short story that will surely hook you!

Anika lives in a small port town in Alaska that is situated near the massive Exit Glacier. One day, after a couple dies at the glacier, Exit Glacier begins to move at a rapid pace towards the town. Strange things begin happening in the wake of the glacier's movements and Anika begins to feel that the glacie
Susan
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tragic and haunting short story with a surprising twist at the end. As someone who lives near several glaciers I understand how they can feel like living, breathing entities but this takes it to a whole new level. It goes to show that you don't need a whole novel to scare the pants off of people and to break their hearts at the same time. ...more
Michael Silverman
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Short story. A different take on a repeated theme.

"There are those events that surgically slice your life in two; and once it happens, you know that you’re on the other side of that painful incision, and there’s no going back to the way things were before."
Precy Larkins
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a good creepy short story.
Ashley
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pet Sematary with glaciers
Emma ☕ B
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Woah this was creepier than expected.
Cynthia Vana
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great writer.
Brittany
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, library-loan
I’m a huge Neal Shusterman fan and I . . . did not know this existed! I found it while browsing on hoopla.

Let me tell you, Resurrection Bay is exactly why I’m a fan. There’s something about the way Shusterman writes that makes you feel and think. Not only about what he writes but about life — even your own life — as a whole.

There’s a sci-fi/paranormal aspect at play and it’s chilling . . . no pun intended. A glacier that takes what it wants. Our souls that are only with us once and the price we’
Mart
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I'm still on my way to conquer everything Neal Shusterman has written. And so far he hasn't disappointed me. His stories are always fascinating and with a clear message placed behind the words. More than creepy, the story is actually touching. It makes you put yourself in the shoes of the MC and realize you would do the exact same thing. I would definitely do it. When someone dear to you is in danger, you would do anything to save them. When someone dear to you dies, you would do anything to bri ...more
Heather
Funny, I'm usually hot or cold with Shusterman's works, but this was a solid meh. It's a (short!) short story, and it did a good job of introducing a small group of characters briefly but with emotional depth; however, the pace did not deliver much of an emotional impact as it could have in a longer work. ...more
Michał Steier
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
"Glaciers do breathe. It's a scientific fact." That glacier is different though. An eerie story about unknown playing with the dead so it can be alive. Pretty creative and well written. Not so spooky, rather creepy. ...more
Erin
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story creeped me out a little too much, haha. :( It also left me wanting more of an explanation than I got. Enjoyed the writing, but the content made me feel a little sick to my stomach!
Erin
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, supernatural
Pretty creepy, in a good way.
Justine
Short, creepy, and perfectly Neal Shusterman.
Rose
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, dark, not wholly satisfying, but I guess it's supposed to be mysterious. Decent short from Shusterman though. ...more

• The Cleaners (Faraway, #4)
  • The Princess Game (Faraway, #3)
  • Ark
  • The Wickeds (Faraway, #5)
  • We Dream of Space
  • Summer Frost
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • When a Child is Born (The Chronicles of St Mary's #2.5)
  • The Little Mermaid
  • John Prine Beyond Words
  • Illustration School: Let's Draw Plants and Small Creatures
  • Roman Holiday (The Chronicles of St Mary's #3.5)
  • Christmas Present (The Chronicles of St Mary's #4.5)
  • A Story about Afiya
  • Loretta Little Looks Back: Three Voices Go Tell It
  • Chance: Escape from the Holocaust
  • Our Little Kitchen
  • Outside In
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more