Start by marking “Murambi, le livre des ossements” as Want to Read:
Murambi, le livre des ossements

Murambi, le livre des ossements

(Rwanda: écrire par devoir de mémoire)

The first English translation of this powerful and disturbing novel.
Published April 2011 by Zulma (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Murambi, le livre des ossements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murambi, le livre des ossements

Start your review of Murambi, le livre des ossements
Ellen Lee
I don't know if I can give this book a rating. As in, I don't know whether that would be ethical. Because I don't think I can judge this book like how I've judged other books because unlike most other books I've read this book is necessary. That's a really big word. But I mean it: this book is necessary, because without this book I'd never have known anything at all about the Rwandan genocide of the 90s. And how tragic is that? How many more years would I have spent in ignorance of such a huge e ...more
William
Murambi is a novel produced as part of a Rwandan program to remember the genocide of 1994 – an event in which between 800,000 to 1,200,000 individuals were killed, most with weapons wielded by their neighbors. The book also makes an effort to capture the Rwandese desire to have the world see beyond the perception that the region is "cursed" by violence, rather than that violence being the result of several specific political actions. The book reproduces the key cultural conflicts by working on t ...more
Nicholas Binge
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
"I can't find the words to speak to the dead."

This re-telling of the Rwandan genocide by Senegalese author Boubacar Diop is a fascinating, if often difficult, read. The structure of the narrative and the fragmentation of the the way the story is told in time, in space and in character does a lot to immerse you in the confusion and loss of the time.

I'm not sure I enjoyed this, in the traditional sense of the word. Can you really enjoy a book about genocide? I certainly found it interesting, thoug
Anja
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the best writing I've read about the Rwandan genocide or for that matter any other. The author writes in a very matter of fact manner about the most horrific events which somehow positions them in the universal realm of human experience. I like very much that he draws parallels with many other horrible moments in human experience, so it is never ever about 'African savagery' as so much writing about Africa is. Rather he is concerned with the very human endeavor to continue living when ev ...more
Louise
Holy shit....just finished it... my god...
Steph
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that requires multiple readings. This book makes me wish I was an English teacher again. Not because I want to read student essays on this book, but because I want to be able to offer this book to students and engage in rich conversation about this text.
Part One of this book repeats the banality of violence, over and over. The soldier who goes home and has tea with his family before he goes to massacre other humans. The video store owner who specializes in war movies. A
Kristina Polidano
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university

It's harrowing when reality disturbs beyond your being. Simple. Beautiful. Horrible.
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy book to read or review. A bit slow-moving at times but the final pages are some of the most powerful and gut-wrenching I’ve read.
Mike
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
If this book did one thing, it made me learn more about the Rwandan genocide, which was outrageous and unbelievable.
ryansmht (:
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
2020’s
Judy Croome
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historians, Philosophers
This is a multi-voiced novel about the violent 1994 Rwandan genocide and gives a good cross-section of all the players involved in this horrific event.

The language is stilted and quaint, possibly because this is an English translation.

There are some interesting and complex characters: the rebel Tutsi, Jessica Kamanzi, is a wonderful character who symbolizes the strength and hope that lies in Africa's people. Cornelius Uvimana was another thought-provoking character; his development from a rathe
Tove R.
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story about one of the most devastating events in recent history; the genocide in Rwanda. A history teacher moves back to Rwanda after the massacre, and he realizes the horrors of it all. A great way to start to understand the subject, and to think about what "humanity" is. Highly recommended!
Jane
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"'A genocide is a genocide,' I answered, 'and this one will be the same. The more time passes, the less we'll forget.'" This quotation is apt and sums up a lot, even though it comes not from one of the story's heroes, but but one of its many cowardly, partisan anti-heroes.

While Diop is one of the first to tackle the Rwandan genocide in the medium of a novel (that I know of), he does so with much sensitivity but not shying away from the gruesome facts. I found this novel very troubling, as it sh
Laura Baiges
It's an interesting book about the genocide in Rwanda. Highly informative and personal. Good first approach to the topic. Sometimes I got a bit lost in the style of writing.
Armel Dagorn
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to "rate" this one, as fiction, given the importance and heaviness of the subject. I kind of wondered at the very start where it was going, and I think that might be due to two things.

As I've read in someone's review below, the language can seem little "stilted and quaint" [I read it in French, not in translation], and I think that might possibly be due in part to the author being Senegalese, using a strand of French I am not used to.

And I think the somehow "slow" approach must have been n
Bee Day
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, this melancholy yet shocking novel will entwine the reader with barbed-wire ferocity. This novel is for anyone who has found that words are just as powerful as the machetes that killed so many in Rwanda. A must read for those that want to keep the unfortunately true history of genocide alive in the hearts of men and women.
Christina
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african
After having read "Shaking Hands with Devil" which gives an accurate and political view of what happened before and during the genocide, Murambi gives the personal perspective. It is a chilling book and I couldn't really allow myself to picture the images written in the book. Strongly recommended.
Liz
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book to read but it's important that we know!!! In the summer of 1994, I was going to Little League games, chasing after my 2 & 4 year old girls and having birthday parties... I had no idea that ONE MILLION people were being systematically slaughtered in this horrendous crime :(. We are doomed to repeat a history we forget... ...more
Han
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oof. This one took me a while to read because I'd have to pause and digest. I also had to pause and research more than once. I was a little kid in 1994, and Rwanda never came up in history or social studies class. I'm still processing, but the structure of this book is absolutely fascinating, and I found myself wanting it on stage, somehow.
Ashdem
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
startled by the honesty of the human stories on both sides of the genocide. this book challenges the boundaries of Western-based conceptions of humanity. This book is thought-provoking, when I put the book down, Diop's narrative walked with me for day.
Ke
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I understand that the Rwanda genocide can only be fully understood from the people's perspective and the political maneuvers, I don't think Diop made the wisest choice by putting both. I believe that the novel could have been more powerful if it just portrayed one strand.
Braden Polly
Ok, the story behind it was pretty gripping. However, by end, I barely felt I knew the characters that well and me not having any background knowledge of the Rwandan Genocide made this book is bit more tough to understand.
William H
about Rwanda post 1994- very moving story about the power of memory
Ruthmarie
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often difficult to read, but filled with beautifully written, thought-provoking passages on the meaning of life, death, nation, ethnicity, personhood . . . .
Liza Schreiner
Very well written, very very disturbing and heartbreaking. Hotel Rwanda meets Closer.
Mena
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful. Hard to read at times... a beautifully complex take on Rwanda and its genocide.
Amanda Thurston
Depressing, depressing, depressing...had to read this for a class.
Kathleen
This book is about the genocide in Rwanda. It is incredibly interesting, but suited for a much older audience.
Anne Kedi
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murambi...I read it in 3 hours... The tension, the truth of the words, the subject... my full review is available at the following link: http://wp.me/p3aGEL-jV ...more
Valerie Santo
This book was a slow read. If you want to read an engaging or emotionally evocative book about the Rwandan Genocide, look elsewhere.

• Cockroaches
  • The Moor's Account
  • Negotiating with the Dead
  • Girl
  • Une vie
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • To noč sem jo videl

Rwanda: écrire par devoir de mémoire (7 books)
  • The Oldest Orphan