Start by marking “The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear” as Want to Read:
The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear

The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear

How to live your life genuinely, honestly, and happily in the face of the inevitable difficulties that arise--more wonderfully accessible Zen teachings for living from the author of Being Zen.

Ever feel like your efforts to live a life of wisdom, honesty, and compassion are hijacked by, well, life? Take heart. Ezra Bayda has good news: life’s challenges aren’t obstacles to
Published April 8th 2014 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Authentic Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Authentic Life

Start your review of The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
Smitha Murthy
What an utterly gentle, healing book. It felt that Bayda sat next to me and spoke to me as one would speak to an errant child. Lovable, but still prone to mischief. Bayda’s style and philosophy is similar to my beloved Pema Chodron and there were many passages in this book that I highlighted with the intention to come back to them again and again.

Leading a life of authenticity means coming to the awareness of who we truly are. Through meditation, exercises, and the gentle power of suggestion,
Jen
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
life changing perspectives. maybe the time was just right for me to pick up this book, but he really just wrote it in a way i could hear and take in and absorb into my life. i was ready for change and this book was a fantastic inclusion for the journey. in fact i just finished it, loaned it to a friend, but wanted to read it again so purchased one of his others!
Ben Payne
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very thoughtful book. It's not so much a guide to buddhism as it is thoughts on how to live without overthinking everything. The author uses some of his own experiences as examples, and talks about learning how to let go of the need for control and surrendering to life.

While he lacks perhaps the clarity of prose that some of my favourite buddhist authors have, there is a lot of meat in this book and it's well worth reading.
Happyreader
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Are you stuck, feel like you're in a rut? Great! Perfect time to practice. Reading Ezra Bayda always feels so inspirationally practical. I would read a chapter a morning, receiving a different assignment each day to wake up. Mind you, it was always a variation on the same assignment - to watch for my areas of resistance and then vary the techniques for refraining from my habitual responses. Hold off from taking the escape route. Note the attachments. Be kinder. Recognize, refrain, clarify, ...more
Kissiah
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book from the simple, yet rich way Ezra expressed, to the touching of the most meaningful areas of our lives. He points to that which may need to be healed (or perhaps closely looked at) and offers a way of turning toward, looking in, and moving through. It's a special book and I found it apropos. I love the way books find me.
Craig Bergland
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism, zen
Just okay for me, which is about as good as a zen book can be for me. I suspect that is because trying to write about zen is like trying to write about the wind.
Ridgewalker
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book with thoughts from the author on how to walk the difficult path life presents to us and feel equanimity throughout the journey.
Leo Michelson
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, alot of good advice on how to incorporate zen principals into everday life.
Betsy

• Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
  • Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
  • Mouthful of Birds
  • Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist
  • Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
  • The Mindful Writer: Noble Truths of the Writing Life
  • Life in the Garden
  • Heavy: An American Memoir
  • The Power of Meaning: Crafting a Life That Matters
  • I Narcisisti Perversi e le unioni impossibili: Sopravvivere alla dipendenza affettiva e ritrovare se stessi
  • Cristallisation Secrète