Start by marking “Have You Seen My Dragon?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen My Dragon?

Have You Seen My Dragon?

In the heart of the city, among the taxis and towers, a small boy travels uptown and down, searching for his friend. Readers will certainly spot the glorious beast, plus an array of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Have You Seen My Dragon?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You Seen My Dragon?

Start your review of Have You Seen My Dragon?
Mir
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I was a little disappointed that although the illustrations were full of lines they were not full of details. That is, there aren't that many hidden things for kids to find or pick out -- it's just a drawing style that happens to involve lots of (extraneous, imo) lines.

That aside, it is a cute counting book. Nice punchy use of color. The scenes are all recognizably New York, so it might be fun for a local or a kid who was traveling there.

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

In the heart of the city, among the taxis and towers, a small boy travels uptown and down, searching for his friend. Readers will certainly spot the glorious beast, plus an array of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park.

This is one of those books that a child takes in the car on
Cheryl
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh! Much too fun & exciting; I'm only halfway done and I'm having to catch my breath.

I want to own a copy just so I can color in the pages. I mean, I know that the colored bits are of the countable objects, as this is a counting book, but I still want to color the rest of the buildings, cars, people, pigeons, etc. Maybe the artist has some coloring pp on a website...

And I'm learning a bit about the city, too - making me realize just how wonderful a picture book can be that doesn't take place on
Betsy
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan I would get this little thrill every time my city appeared in a children’s book. Which is to say, every time it was mentioned in Horton Hatches the Egg. Honestly, for all that it had a cool name it really didn’t come up anywhere else. New York kids must be rather jaded in this regard. Anytime a city book is set somewhere other than Manhattan or Brooklyn, they probably scratch their little heads in confusion (I can attest to this personally as my two-year-old ...more
Abigail
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Fun Picture-Books with a New York Theme and/or Creative Counting Books
A young New Yorker goes in search of his dragon in this delightful counting book/city travelogue, making his way past twenty iconic city sights during the course of his journey. From a hot-dog stand to the harbor, the park to the book stall, the boy searches high and low, as the number of objects being counted in the background - ten paint cans, fifteen balloons - grows steadily larger. Eventually, the dragon is discovered just where he ought to be...

I enjoyed Have You Seen My Dragon?, which fun
The Library Lady
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sort of a Have You Seen My Duckling? for an older age group, and with dragons.
Light does more with black and white and fine lines than most hipster illustrators can do with the zillions of colors in their Adobe Paint programs. Lots of fun, though it made me homesick for my beloved New York City.
Heidi-Marie
Love this!! You can work on counting, colors, searching, and even map reading (of sorts) all while embracing the fun things of New York City and enjoying a boy's search for his dragon. So many possibilities in this book. A fabulous lap-read or read-alone. But I must try in storytime as well.

2/18/15 Used in my Friends theme. The kids adored this book! They loved looking for the dragon. They loved counting--even though it went all the way up to 20. I also had them calling out what the color (other
paula
I came home from - I don't know, BEA or some damn thing - with a promotional poster for this book. I NEVER bring home posters, because they get bent and crimped and I just get cranky about that and I try to avoid crankiness. But I toughed it out for this poster, which was pretty much the dust jacket of the final book.

And I KNEW IT. The minute I got that thing out of the tube, my ten-year-old and his father were belly-down on the floor coloring the whooooole thing in. They found every fire hydran
Rachel Watkins
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A counting book that gives tribute to urban life, you'll want to move to the city Steve Light has illustrated in this picture book. Clever use of only spots of color in otherwise black and white pictures means you'e not overstimulated as Light's illustrations are detailed and complex. The author's bio at the end of the month shares a sweet story that inspired this book: on trips to NYC as a child, Light's father would tell him the steam coming from the manhole covers was dragon's breath!
Laura McLoughlin
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very pretty counting book. Although 20 is a bit high for a 3 year old (she loses interest after about 12). Also, the illustrations are begging to be colored, but it is a library book so I shall resist.
Jesse
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This would make an excellent coloring book! I found myself wanting to add to his very spare use of color. I loved that the story was added to my including counting opportunities, as well as the challenge of finding where the dragon was in each panel.
Sylvester
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
4* art
4* concept

Squirt could care less about the counting, but he sure likes hiding the dragon from me with his hands. Lots of fun, and he asks questions about the pictures.
Ken
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for my niece during a trip to Cardiff, It’s a fun counting book with plenty of nice illustrations.
Mairead
Loved the art! Also like the flexibility — numbers too much for A to have patience counting as got higher, but she was always into spotting the dragon on each beautifully detailed page.
Erin
This is a visually gorgeous picture book, the detailed line drawings all black and white except for the green of the dragon, which is used to great effect. It's a hide and seek book, a fantasy, a love letter to New York City, and a counting book, all in one.

It's the kind of book where I sort of regret not having more of an art background so that I could talk in a more sophisticated way about picture book art and how it works. A lot of the time when I'm approaching a picture book, I come at it f
Beverly
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-dragons
I prefer more realistic looking dragons, but this is a very cute counting book and very cleverly executed. There is a lot of detail in the illustrations; a reader could pore over each page for hours. And there is so much for the reader to do: look for the dragon, look for the little boy looking for the dragon; and count the colored items on each page. The end paper map of the dragon's meanderings is an added plus.
Holly
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun black-and-white illustrations with the main topic of each page in color. Kids will have fun looking for the dragon on each page. They will also be able to find images to count along (2 hot dogs, 3 buses, etc.)

An adventurous and enjoyable read.
Lisa D
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute book! Great way to learn to count to 10 for younger kids!
Liza Nahas
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for illustration, maybe 3 for story. But kids will be so absorbed in the illustrations, the story won't matter.
Emma
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Love the hidden object and counting aspects as well as the subtle pops of color. I do wonder if it should have stopped at a lower number as the story starts to drag but still so lovely.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To me the best part of this book is the illustrations. A kid goes looking for his lost dragon, and finds lots of other things instead.
Emily Woodard
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked the dragon but I didn't like that he got lost.
Amy
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful counting book (from 1 to 20) set in New York City. Coming fresh from a visit to the city, the pictures won my heart. Got this for my fairy-goddaughter. I wish I'd drawing this book.
Kara
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A child narrator searches high and low for his dragon in this multilayered counting book. Children will delight in spotting the roving pet amid the richly detailed, pen-and-ink cityscape. Each spread also features one set of objects or animals in spot color for kids to count: two hot dogs, five water towers, 12 pigeons, and so on — up to the 20 lanterns in a final scene where the child and dragon are reunited.
Jessie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, dragons
This is the story of a boy looking for his dragon in a city. It's an exploration of the city, a counting book, and a game of finding the dragon on each of the pages (with detailed illustrations).

The colored items on each page are the ones for counting, making the counting pretty easy. This is an unusual counting book in that it goes from 1 all the way up to 20.
Sarri Tate Gibson
This unique counting book takes the reader through a busy city, counting along the way. The illustrations are mostly black and white, almost sketches, with splashes of color highlighting the items being counted. It is simple but engaging. The front and back inside covers showcase a map and the route the main character takes looking for his dragon.
Portable
This is a lovely cross-genre book that works well for talking about dragons, finding lost things, exploring cities, counting, asking questions, and also is set in a city, so there are lots of different structures to spot. Lovely use of colour and line drawings mean you have to be quite the observer to find where the dragon is hiding. Great stuff!
Hannah
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute--a boy is looking for his dragon in different parts of the city, pointing out other things that he sees. Specific items are colored on each page along with interesting, thick-lined drawings. My son kept getting frustrated with the boy not seeing the dragon, and it made me think of every time I've been frustrated with a character for not realizing the obvious.
Hannah
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A counting book that has a storyline about finding a missing dragon. The pictures are mainly black and white with color added to the items to count on that page. The dragon is also "hiding" on each page.

You can read the story, do the counting pages, and/or hunt for the dragon on every 2 page spread.

• Absolutely One Thing (Charlie and Lola)
  • A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
  • Nothing Stopped Sophie: The Story of Unshakable Mathematician Sophie Germain
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays
  • The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange
  • Lottie & Walter
  • One Big Pair of Underwear
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Fergal and the Bad Temper
  • Viva Frida
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Hug Machine
  • Skulls!
  • Dragon Was Terrible
  • Sheep Won't Sleep: Counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since publi ...more