Start by marking “Have You Seen My Dragon?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen My Dragon?

Have You Seen My Dragon?

In the heart of the city, among the taxis and towers, a small boy travels uptown and down, searching for his friend. Readers will certainly spot the glorious beast, plus an array of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Have You Seen My Dragon?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You Seen My Dragon?

Start your review of Have You Seen My Dragon?
Mir
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I was a little disappointed that although the illustrations were full of lines they were not full of details. That is, there aren't that many hidden things for kids to find or pick out -- it's just a drawing style that happens to involve lots of (extraneous, imo) lines.

That aside, it is a cute counting book. Nice punchy use of color. The scenes are all recognizably New York, so it might be fun for a local or a kid who was traveling there.

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

In the heart of the city, among the taxis and towers, a small boy travels uptown and down, searching for his friend. Readers will certainly spot the glorious beast, plus an array of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park.

This is one of those books that a child takes in the car on
Cheryl
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh! Much too fun & exciting; I'm only halfway done and I'm having to catch my breath.

I want to own a copy just so I can color in the pages. I mean, I know that the colored bits are of the countable objects, as this is a counting book, but I still want to color the rest of the buildings, cars, people, pigeons, etc. Maybe the artist has some coloring pp on a website...

And I'm learning a bit about the city, too - making me realize just how wonderful a picture book can be that doesn't take place on
Betsy
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan I would get this little thrill every time my city appeared in a children’s book. Which is to say, every time it was mentioned in Horton Hatches the Egg. Honestly, for all that it had a cool name it really didn’t come up anywhere else. New York kids must be rather jaded in this regard. Anytime a city book is set somewhere other than Manhattan or Brooklyn, they probably scratch their little heads in confusion (I can attest to this personally as my two-year-old ...more
Abigail
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Fun Picture-Books with a New York Theme and/or Creative Counting Books
A young New Yorker goes in search of his dragon in this delightful counting book/city travelogue, making his way past twenty iconic city sights during the course of his journey. From a hot-dog stand to the harbor, the park to the book stall, the boy searches high and low, as the number of objects being counted in the background - ten paint cans, fifteen balloons - grows steadily larger. Eventually, the dragon is discovered just where he ought to be...

I enjoyed Have You Seen My Dragon?, which fun
Abigail Lewis
I love this one! It is a fun counting book with great illustrations and cute small story as a backdrop.
The Library Lady
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sort of a Have You Seen My Duckling? for an older age group, and with dragons.
Light does more with black and white and fine lines than most hipster illustrators can do with the zillions of colors in their Adobe Paint programs. Lots of fun, though it made me homesick for my beloved New York City.
Kaitlyn
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! It is super cute and I love the counting of things and trying to find the dragon on each page.
Heidi-Marie
Love this!! You can work on counting, colors, searching, and even map reading (of sorts) all while embracing the fun things of New York City and enjoying a boy's search for his dragon. So many possibilities in this book. A fabulous lap-read or read-alone. But I must try in storytime as well.

2/18/15 Used in my Friends theme. The kids adored this book! They loved looking for the dragon. They loved counting--even though it went all the way up to 20. I also had them calling out what the color (other
Paula
I came home from - I don't know, BEA or some damn thing - with a promotional poster for this book. I NEVER bring home posters, because they get bent and crimped and I just get cranky about that and I try to avoid crankiness. But I toughed it out for this poster, which was pretty much the dust jacket of the final book.

And I KNEW IT. The minute I got that thing out of the tube, my ten-year-old and his father were belly-down on the floor coloring the whooooole thing in. They found every fire hydran
Laura McLoughlin
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very pretty counting book. Although 20 is a bit high for a 3 year old (she loses interest after about 12). Also, the illustrations are begging to be colored, but it is a library book so I shall resist.
Jesse
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This would make an excellent coloring book! I found myself wanting to add to his very spare use of color. I loved that the story was added to my including counting opportunities, as well as the challenge of finding where the dragon was in each panel.
Sylvester
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
4* art
4* concept

Squirt could care less about the counting, but he sure likes hiding the dragon from me with his hands. Lots of fun, and he asks questions about the pictures.
Ken
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for my niece during a trip to Cardiff, It’s a fun counting book with plenty of nice illustrations.
mairead
Loved the art! Also like the flexibility — numbers too much for A to have patience counting as got higher, but she was always into spotting the dragon on each beautifully detailed page.
Erin
This is a visually gorgeous picture book, the detailed line drawings all black and white except for the green of the dragon, which is used to great effect. It's a hide and seek book, a fantasy, a love letter to New York City, and a counting book, all in one.

It's the kind of book where I sort of regret not having more of an art background so that I could talk in a more sophisticated way about picture book art and how it works. A lot of the time when I'm approaching a picture book, I come at it f
Beverly
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-dragons
I prefer more realistic looking dragons, but this is a very cute counting book and very cleverly executed. There is a lot of detail in the illustrations; a reader could pore over each page for hours. And there is so much for the reader to do: look for the dragon, look for the little boy looking for the dragon; and count the colored items on each page. The end paper map of the dragon's meanderings is an added plus.
Holly
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun black-and-white illustrations with the main topic of each page in color. Kids will have fun looking for the dragon on each page. They will also be able to find images to count along (2 hot dogs, 3 buses, etc.)

An adventurous and enjoyable read.
Jessica
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is beautiful. I'm not sure it lends itself to storytime, but the illustrations are wonderful, and it would have been a book that I pored over as a kid. Can the illustrator please make us a coloring book now? ...more
Joanne Roberts
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like Where's Waldo but for a much younger reader. Layers counting and color identification with simple storyline. Clever premise with fresh art style. City life shown in a new way. Perfect twist ending. And who doesn't love endpaper maps? ...more
Lisa D
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute book! Great way to learn to count to 10 for younger kids!
Liza Nahas
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for illustration, maybe 3 for story. But kids will be so absorbed in the illustrations, the story won't matter. ...more
Emma
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Love the hidden object and counting aspects as well as the subtle pops of color. I do wonder if it should have stopped at a lower number as the story starts to drag but still so lovely.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To me the best part of this book is the illustrations. A kid goes looking for his lost dragon, and finds lots of other things instead.
Amy
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful counting book (from 1 to 20) set in New York City. Coming fresh from a visit to the city, the pictures won my heart. Got this for my fairy-goddaughter. I wish I'd drawing this book. ...more
Cosette
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book for a beginning reader
Veronica
This was a very simple book, but one I found engaging. Have You Seen My Dragon is a math concept book that allows readers to discover numbers 1 through 20. The reader gets to join on an adventure of a little boy all throughout New York City, while he searches for his dragon. I liked how this book covered numbers 1- 20. It took it a step further than most that only do 1- 10. I also felt like I was emersed in the city's environment even without ever traveling there physically. I got the see the bu ...more
Kara
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A child narrator searches high and low for his dragon in this multilayered counting book. Children will delight in spotting the roving pet amid the richly detailed, pen-and-ink cityscape. Each spread also features one set of objects or animals in spot color for kids to count: two hot dogs, five water towers, 12 pigeons, and so on — up to the 20 lanterns in a final scene where the child and dragon are reunited.
Lara Lleverino
Lovely counting book for a young child. Beautiful illustrations! This would be a great book to use to practice looking and noticing with sense questions! What could you hear here on this page? What might you smell here on this page? What might you see just off the page if the scene continued? What patterns do you see in the art? Can you point to a straight line? A dot? A curved line? Excellent book with so many possibilities!
Jessie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, dragons
This is the story of a boy looking for his dragon in a city. It's an exploration of the city, a counting book, and a game of finding the dragon on each of the pages (with detailed illustrations).

The colored items on each page are the ones for counting, making the counting pretty easy. This is an unusual counting book in that it goes from 1 all the way up to 20.

• Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Absolutely One Thing (Charlie and Lola)
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • The Bear's Song
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
  • Baby Goes to Market
  • Follow the Line through the House
  • Stuck
  • Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas
  • Lena's Shoes Are Nervous: A First-Day-of-School Dilemma
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Hey Grandude!
  • Hotel Bruce (Mother Bruce, #2)
  • Are You Eating Candy Without Me?
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
See top shelves…
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since publi ...more