Start by marking “Robot Uprisings” as Want to Read:
Robot Uprisings

Robot Uprisings

Humans beware. As the robotic revolution continues to creep into our lives, it brings with it an impending sense of doom. What horrifying scenarios might unfold if our technology were to go awry? From self-aware robotic toys to intelligent machines violently malfunctioning, this anthology brings to life the half-formed questions and fears we all have about the increasing p ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Robot Uprisings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robot Uprisings

Gavin
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was one of the best anthologies I've ever read. It featured a wide variety of takes on the robot uprisings theme. Most of the novellas were good and a few were excellent. This anthology was a very enjoyable read. It has served its purpose of making me interested in reading more books or novellas from the majority of the authors included. If I had to pick a favorite it would likely be the superb Omnibot by the fantastic Ernest Cline. I would have bought the anthology for his novella alone. L ...more
Paul
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
There seems to be a lot of books coming out now with the theme of robots rising up and taking over some or all of the world. This book of short stories has this terrifying theme at its heart too, with the different authors developing a range of different ideas, from all out war, to the children’s toys taking them away from the adults, to nanobots that are capable of modifying the actual genetics of people.

As with all collections, there are the good and the bad. One of my favourites was the one b
Desinka
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This anthology was a wonderful surprise. I'm not a fan of short stories and novellas unless they're part of a series but this anthology has made me reconsider. Highly recommended for all sci-fi lovers and other curious readers.

Small Things by Daniel h. Wilson

This was an interesting and quite ominous tale that reminded me very much of a sci-fi version of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. However, unlike the older and even darker older book, this one didn’t have the same emotional grip. I guess it ju
Scott Sigler
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this anthology, but I'm giving it the 5-star for some tales that I really loved. "Of Dying Heroes and Deathless Deeds" by Robin Wasserman just floored me. It's a tale of the horrors of war from the perspective of a robotic victor, PTSD in silica. "Spider the Artist" by Nnedi Okarafor was another favorite, a skilled tale of a woman in a difficult situation finding an unexpected emotional connection and validation for talents that go largely ignored. Julianna Baggot's "The Golden ...more
Matthew
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
As Daniel H. Wilson writes, one of the unique things about robots is, unlike other terrifying threats or monsters, that they are real and already woven into the very fabric of our society. We use robots already for so many tasks, ranging from everyday mundane cleaning through to processing sensitive military data. So what would happen if the robots, the very things that we as a society have come to rely on for so many things, rebelled?

Chaos... mayhem... and terror. That's what.

Robot Uprisings,
Res
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff
A themed short story collection would be easier to read if the theme allowed for a little more room to maneuver. Robots uprise. That's what every story is about. Robots uprise.

It took me forever to finish, but I must give it credit: I read all of every story except Wilson's "Small Things," which is so overwritten that I gave up after twenty pages. Yes, show-don't-tell, but there are limits.

There's quite a lot of the good old sci-fi tradition of 'stories' that are in fact well-researched premise
Katie/Doing Dewey
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: There were some awesome ideas in this collection, but many of the stories felt under-developed or incomplete.

I don't read a lot of sci-fi any more, but it's one of the genres I read the most in high school and I still often love it when I pick it up. So, even though short stories aren't always my thing, I thought there couldn't be much better than a collection all about robot uprisings. I also recognized the names of a number of authors in the collection, including Nnedi Okorafor, Ernes
Mitchell
A pretty good collection. True to it's theme and filled will generally good stories. But not enjoyable, pretty much the whole book was a downer. There were definitely standout stories, Cory Doctorow's Epoch about the AI Big Mac was very much a favorite. But mostly it was a collection of horror stories and I don't do horror much. Sure there were interesting ideas here, but not ones I want to spend time thinking about.
Michael
I had to give this collection 5 stars because it was such a treat to read a collection with literally no duds. These were all compelling, fascinating interpretations of robot revolution. There were no two alike and they were all very good, even the ones I had quibbles with. Some were haunting and unforgettable. Some were funny and surprising. And some were downright scary. They were all worth reading and talking about. And a disturbing number were a little too realistic and possibly foreshadowin ...more
Riju Ganguly
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'll go story-by-story.
1. "Complex God" by Scott Sigler: Entirely predictable, with not a single twist or cause to be impressed. Well-written MEH.
2. "Cycles" by Charles Yu: Utter crap.
3. "Lullaby" by Anna North: Good. Nothing spectacular, but good.
4. "Eighty Miles An Hour All the Way To Paradise": Move On. Nothing To See, or Read.
5. "Executable": Has the formidable editor JJA lost it? How can such moronic stuff even get into this book?
6. "The Omnibot Incident" by Ernest Cline: Huh! Right Story,
Lara Thompson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible collection. Nearly every one a gem. For poetic, read 'The Golden Hour'; for gruesome, 'Small Things'; elaborate, 'Sleepover'; unexpected, 'Of Dying Heroes and Deathless Deeds', 'The Robot and the Baby' or 'We are all misfit toys in the aftermath of the velveteen wars'; ya-ish, 'Nanonauts! In battle with tiny death-subs!'; sweet, 'Cycles'; actual about an AI about to take over the planet, 'Epoch'. But really, just read them all!
Joe
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Robot Uprisings" is a great collection of short stories that deals with, you guessed it, robots run amok. Some are better than others but I really enjoyed all the different takes from nanobots to AI in our children's toys. More than a few of these would have made excellent "Black Mirror" episodes as that show deals with out of control technology.
Becky
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am firmly in the paranoia camp when it comes to robots. I kind of think technology hates me already so it's not at all a stretch for me to believe that robots will attack one day. And I'm not alone, even Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking say AI is dangerous! Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking, folks.

In Robot Uprisings Daniel H. Wilson and John Joseph Adams have compiled a collection packed with tales of technology gone wrong. From nanobots and rips in space and time to a war with smart toys, these stor
Lostaccount
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This collection of stories about robot uprisings was a bit hit and miss. Most of the stories weren't about robot uprisings but just about robots.

I found Omnibot Incident a childish kid's story and wonder why it was included in this anthology especially since it had nothing to do with a robot uprising. The explanation at the end was corny.

Executable was too brief. A virus causes a dystopia, but the story was rather an anecdote with a pun ending. The story seemed just set up for that pun at the
BigJohn
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Robot Uprisings is a sci-fi anthology put together by Daniel Wilson and John Joseph Adams. The anthology is a collection of stories involving the upcoming robot uprising. However, the stories do not intersect with one another, and are not meant to convey a continuous story or backdrop of a common event. The stories themselves are cool and interesting takes on the planned pervasiveness of robots in our near future, and how our lives will be forever ruined when all of our appliances begin to think ...more
Lucas
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
I liked the Alastair Reynolds story the most probably because it was the least appropriate for the collection (though the ending of it was weak). Cory Doctorow's is pretty good and also the Daniel H. Wilson Heart of Darkness one.

The worst story was the most generic from a best selling author from Austin, Texas, who in the story mentions how great Austin Texas is several times. Did you know that there are a great number of software developers living in Austin Texas, uniquely positioned for both
Jeremy
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This is really more of a 3.5 star book...good light reading, but not great. Maybe three stars and I'm just being generous. If you like robots, and short stories, and lightly entertaining stories, then give it a go. It's like watching TV. Not the kind of stories to get you thinking, like really good sci-fi stories will do, but written well enough to keep your interest. Maybe read it on a plane or at the beach.

I read this collection because it has some contemporary writers I like. It turned out I
Kristen Shaw
I will repeat what others have said here - this is a truly excellent collection, with no real duds. A short story collection with no entries that I really just wanted to skim through is a rare and special occasion. After reading most of these I really really wanted more and want some to be adapted to novels. That said, it took me so long to read this because I dipped in for a story here and there, so the thematic similarities didn't get to me. There were a few that were very similar and might ha ...more
Cindy Matthews
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to sleep at night after contemplating all the frightening scenarios put forth in this wonderful sci-fi anthology. Will we be taken over by our seemingly benign mechanical household servants? Will incredibly small nanobots we create to cure us from disease and infection be our undoing? Will we even have a clue our robot slaves have gained sentience before it's too late? And what is the difference between artificial intelligence and our own, particularly if the machines outwit us at ever ...more
John
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I am really digging these collection of short stories be different authors, I feel it keep everything fresh and really adds to the overall book with the different styles and takes on the same theme. I have to be honest though, sometimes some of the stories were too believable and gives me the creeps...but I still love the story, would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the genre and a fan of short stories!
Rob Engel
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great anthology that included some of my favorite authors and some that I had never heard of. These are some incredibly imaginative stories and almost all of them left me wishing that they were more than short stories. I love great anthologies like this because they allow you to read for shorter periods of time when that is all you have. Any sci-fi fan is going to appreciate this collection. What are you waiting for? Pick up a copy!
James Murphy
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable anthology. I especially liked Charles Yu's "Cycles", where a robot, even though harboring homicidal thoughts about his human, thinks the human has potential; and Seanan McGuire's "We Are All Misfit Toys in the Aftermath of the Velveteen War", which shows that conflict between humans and robots can exact an emotional toll far more devastating than any physical toll. An collection well worth the time and money.
Seth Heasley
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short fiction is awesome, and what a great way to survey the many approaches to the robot uprisings genre. Some absolutely tremendous stories, from Daniel H Wilson, Cory Doctorow, Hugh Howey and many others. Full review on my blog.
Garrett
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A completely fun collection of short stories about robots run amok, ranging from the thought-provokingly philosophical to the fun, to the comepletely creepy. A great collection for any science fiction fan, has stories from Wilson, Doctorow, Foster and Cline, plus a couple of real gems hiding between the names you've heard of. Very enjoyable.

HAIL OUR NEW ROBOT MASTERS.
Aaron VanAlstine
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Stories were of varying quality. One story was by Dr. John McCarthy, the Stanford computer scientist who invented the Lisp programming language back in the 50s. It was pretty good and he wrote it when he was nearly in his eighties. Another story with sentient Roombas was amusing.
Jenn
Shelves: own
Loved it.
Karen
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most of the short stories in this antholody and found some new good authors.
Jon
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good mix of stories. A couple standouts, and a couple that were forgettable, just like any anthology. Adams does a great job putting these together, and the overall quality was high.
Zach
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of short stories about the inevitable truth of robots and AI rising up against humanity. Co-edited by Daniel H. Wilson author of Robopocalypse.

• Lightspeed: Year One
  • The Detective
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera For a New Age
  • Sea of Glass
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse (SFFWorld.com anthology, #1)
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
A Cherokee citizen, Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives in Portland, Oregon.