Start by marking “Resurrection (Underwood and Flinch #1)” as Want to Read:
Resurrection (Underwood and Flinch #1)

Resurrection (Underwood and Flinch #1)

The first volume of the award-winning Underwood and Flinch Chronicles.

All David Flinch ever wanted was a normal life. But when you're a member of the Flinch family, normal has never been easy.

For hundreds of years, the eldest male Flinch has been servant and guardian to the vampire, Lord Underwood. While the Flinches have changed through the generations, Underwood has rema
ebook, 1, 290 pages
Published July 14th 2013 (first published July 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection

Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
I only picked this up as I needed an "U" for a challenge.

Pleasant surprise, enjoyable, witty tale about a legendary vampire, Lord Underwood and the family Flinch his human servants and protectors through the ages. Enter one David Flinch who definitely does not want to live up to his family legacy. Finding out what happened next kept me amused to the end of the book. I was a bit puzzled about a parallel storyline about some small time English crooks who run into trouble with the Russian mafia, b
Randolph
Shelves: fiction, horror
Bends the vampire genre while not running away from it. Equal measures horrible and hilarious but pulled off without leaving us with a clowning Mel Brook's Dracula. Think in a Sam Raimi vampire sense and you may get close: horribly tongue in cheek.

Foolishly originally offered as a free podcast by Mike Bennett who may be almost as good a voice actor as he is a writer. Anyway if he ever asks to borrow any money I would get right away from him since he continues to cast free pearls before swine ins
Joseph Carson
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mike Bennett is a great author and his characters have great depth and you can feel their feelings. Mike's Underwood is a unique approach to a vampire. Flinch is a reluctant caretaker as he is thrown into servitude by birth and fate. First appalled then Flinch realizes he can make a difference or a least try to make a difference. Together they go through adventures that are sometimes funny and sometimes sad but always exciting. Must read.
Neil Dimmock
Absolutely awesome read!!!
A vampire novel like no other.
Mike Bennett does a great job of making the characters feel so real.
A real page turner that will keep you glued to it for hours.
David Watson
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
David Flinch is a recovering alcoholic that has made a decent life for himself. He is a an english teacher and has a nice girlfriend named Lisa. David's family has a dark history which he wants to escape but you just can't walk away from the family business. When David gets a letter stating that his older brother John is dying of cancer, he has no choice but to go to Spain and take his rightful position as servant and guardian to the vampire, Lord Underwood.

David doesn't want to be the guardian
Stephanie Price
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found Mike a few years ago when Underwood and Flinch was half way through and I am glad I did. Mike does justice to the vampire legend. In an age of Twilight and Vampire Diaries he takes us back old school. It is filled with action and every time he put out a new episode, you were on the edge of your seat the whole time. Never have I listened to someone read to me and I'm on edge trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I'm usually pretty good about guessing how the story will end ba ...more
Mark
Shelves: horror, vampire
Mike's humour and horror come out in this story in spades.

I must admit being a supporter of this on indiegogo I own this as one personalised ebook rather than two separate books so this review is for both books so far in the chronicles.

Not another vampire story I can hear people groan but Lord Underwood isn't sparkly and all those superior put-downs for the Twigglet books, and this story has pirates too so what could be better.

In all seriousness this is a great read and a new old take on the vam
Sharon Kennedy
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this to be an interesting tale, but couldn't see the point of the apparent side story of the ex-pats and the Russians - I can only assume that it will be continued (and possibly concluded) in book 2, but I couldn't see the point of it in book 1, other than to bulk it out a little - I felt it added nothing to the story, which was already complicated enough with the relationship between Underwood and Flinch anyway. I felt it was a good enough story to have carried the book on its own, and ...more
Yngve
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do you like vampire of the good old vintage, and not sparkly, obtuse high-school drama blabber, but style and eloquence? Well look no further, the Underwood and Flinch chronicles are what you should read.
I could go on about the plot, characters, amusing wordplay and twists, but I shan't. I'll leave all this up to you to discover, so rather than reading this, get the book and read that instead. It's that good. No, really, it is.
Dave
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC !! I listened to the podcast novel. Excellent character development, plot lines and twists, incredible voice talent from the author! I highly recommend this vampire novel to everyone. Believable, exciting, with great story arcs and pacing. This is the kind of book that had me staying up all night to finish the last 6 chapters. A MUST READ / LISTEN! I cannot wait for him to complete the next in the series!
Pauline Mcgrath
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read, superior vampire fiction, this totally rocks. I enjoyed every page of this book. It has everything you want in a vampire novel - death, terror, fear, black humour and a PROPER vampire with nothing sparkly and nothing to appeal to pre-pubescent girls (unless they are into horror, of course!). Can't wait to start on the second book in the series - Bonded in Blood - on the way home on the train this evening.
Michael
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Different take on Vamps

I very much enjoyed the start of this story with the Flinch clan having to take care of Underwood from generation to generation. The thing that really bothered me though was this second side story that seemed to have nothing to do with the main story and was never even properly resolved. Maybe I missed something.
Farhan
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A modern and interesting twist on the vampire genre. But clunky writing and an uneven storyline steal the story’s pleasure. Also, the author’s decision to put brakes on the narrative in order to turn this into a series damaged this first instalment.
Annie Page
Loved it.
first came across Mike's work through his podcasts. (He's well worth a listen).After reading is books in ebook form my opinion hasn't changed. Stands out among the Vampire novels. About to start part 2 now and hoping for a part 3 in the future.
Garion Lopez
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could get into all the detailed reasons this is an example of great story telling and an attribute to the vampire genre, but it speaks for its self. If you are a fan of a mostly classic, but more witty and charming blood-thirsty creature of the night, you owe it to your self to give it a read.
Doug
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Underwood is an old vampire and Flinch is the next caretaker in the family line. The debacle that ensues is sarcastic and snarky and funny. This book is quirky as an old world vampire god deals with modern inconveniences and a squeamish care giver.
Erin
Jun 05, 2015 marked it as to-read
putting this on hold. I have other books that I am eager to read. This has been a good book thus far. I just have other reads I want to read more.
Shoulanda August
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great read

Amusing and quite funny. A family cursed but no one thinks so but the youngest son. Welcome to Flinch nightmare that will never end!
Litara Angeli
Anyone who has had the pleasure of hearing Mike's podcasts knows he's unique flare for description and dialogue. The podcast to page conversion of U&F just drives the point home even more.
Lance Card
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A unique vampire story which adds humor and class to the genre
Ken Jeffery
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun little vampire tale, with a bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude. Interesting setup, and promises more in the next books of the series.
Punk
Jul 21, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, vampires
Currently free at Smashwords. Available in a variety of formats, all DRM-free. 7/21/16
First Name
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly written story, Mike really paints a great picture of people and places.
Thanks for a great series :)
David Casteel
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Earth
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • The MVP (Galactic Football League #4)
  • Digital Magic (Fey #2)
  • Ancient Blood: A Novel of the Hegemony (The Order Saga, #1)
  • Bloodstains
  • The Ultimate Dracula
  • Dance of Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #4)
  • Night's Knights
  • The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
  • Blood Is Not Enough: 17 Stories of Vampirism
  • Avalon Revisited
  • The Leviathan Chronicles
  • The Gearheart
Mike Bennett is the four-time Parsec Award winning author of Underwood and Flinch, Blood and Smoke, Hall of Mirrors, and One Among the Sleepless. He lives in Wexford, Ireland. Mike likes immersing himself in all kinds of horror and thriller stories. He also likes traditional pubs, cooking, and ventriloquism - as long as the doll's eyes don't start following him around the room.

Amazon profile (http
“It’s good Feng Shui.’ ‘What’s that?’ ‘It’s Chinese for throwing out your crap.” 1 likes