Start by marking “Box 1571” as Want to Read:
Box 1571

Box 1571

The Talbot family is in trouble. The business is collapsing, Mum can't stop crying, and Ella will do anything to help. So when she finds thousands of pounds in Dad's secret post office box, she thinks that all her problems have been solved. But thousands of pounds lead into six extraordinary rooms, and then Ella's problems really begin. The money is hers, but she must win ...more
Published July 28th 2015 by Matador (first published July 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Box 1571, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Box 1571

Koeur
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it

Publisher: Matador

Publishing Date: July 2015

ISBN: 9781784629175

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.2/5

Publisher Description: The Talbot family is in trouble. The business is collapsing, Mum can’t stop crying, and Ella will do anything to help. So when she finds thousands of pounds in Dad’s secret post office box, she thinks that all her problems have been solved. But thousands of pounds lead into six extraordinary rooms, and then Ella’s problems really begin.

Review:
Charity
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
For full review please visit: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Angel, age 12 years, 11 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book is wonderfully filled with passion, love and determination! The characters and plot were beautifully stitched together in this book.

The only thing I have to say about this book regarding any kind of negatives, is that it was too short! I would have loved for this book to be longer.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Ella's parents' café is in financial trouble and Ella is finding school a lonely place since her friend Sophie moved away. When Ella discovers a way to solve her parents' money problems and save the café, she is unwittingly drawn into a game of riddles and unexpected encounters.

This feel-good tale is reminiscent of such innocent and unexpected adventures as The Phantom Tollbooth. Box 1571 is perfect for
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ella's parents own a tea house. They do not have many customers because of the new teashop down the street. They are worried about money and paying the bills. Her brother, Daniel, and her mother are constantly fighting about selling the business. Meanwhile at school Ella is supposed to write a story about a journey. She does not like to write stories, feels that her stories are not any good, and she is unhappy about her life. She does not have any friends and is not a happy child. Ella's father ...more
Ruby
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What if you found the solution to all your problems by simply opening a post office box? No more sadness in the house, no more anger, and just maybe less talk at school about how poor you are. Ella is your typical girl faced with these and many other problems.. Her life is boring, her only friend Sophia goes away during holidays, and her family is as close to broke as you can get. With no way out and the want to contribute something, Ella starts snooping and stumbles upon her father's secret pos ...more
Claudia
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The story begins by introducing Ella Talbolt, nothing exciting happens to her which is why, even though she loves to write, her stories are boring. She discusses the issue her family has with money though a story she writes. Her mum cries and her brother Daniel is angry, which reflects her reasonings behind later actions in this story. Box 1571 is a PO box her father sends her to receive letters from, in between two letters a note asks if she wants to help her family, in the hopes of resolving t ...more
Sam
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Box 1571 was a short but fun read! The story is narrated by a young girl called Ella, she tells the story of how her family are struggling with financial problems. Their cafe is on the edge of closing, then what will they do? Ella's father approaches her one day and asks her to go to the post office to get some letters from PO Box 1571. Once the box is opened she goes on a roller coaster of adventures, all that she can think of is how can she help her family?
A great read and I definitely recomme
Julie
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dan
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get this direct from the author, and I'm glad to say I did. A thoroughly entertaining read, whose creativity and originality remind me of Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series. The characters are well rounded, and whilst I find many stories can slow in the middle, this story really drags you along with you. Although the ending seemed slightly expected, it was well developed and rounded out nicely. Can't wait to pass this onto my niece to enjoy.
Bill Tillman
What a fantastic first book for R. M. Tudor. Ella is an eleven year old with some problems, her family is behind in all their finances. Her dad asks her to go to the Post Office and get whatever is in Box 1571. Like Alice in Wonderland she gets sucked into the box and has fantastic adventures. I thought the lobster scorpion (Scorbster) was a great idea. Follow Ella through her adventures at the Post Office and beyond.
Print Teach
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! A good old fashioned adventure, with secrets and friends and problem solving and creatures and magic and imagination. All mixed up with a solid, modern day storyline and a few childhood fears and worries. I was hooked from the first page, finished it in one day, and am going to leave it out for my Grade 4s tomorrow!
Lisa Moore
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I obtained the book through Goodreads Firstreads. I read this with my son and we both enjoyed it. There were many themes that could lead into discussion questions for children. I enjoyed the nod to Alice in Wonderland! Ella's adventures were very creative, but I wish there had been more of them!
Giordahno
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received this very captivating as well as heart-warming story in a Goodreads giveaway. The struggle and decisions one has to go thru for the loved ones made up of your family. The flow of the book was not as constant as I favor but it didn't take much away from Ella's life obstacles and determination to over come them.
Anne Hopkins
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this with my 8 year old grandson. It was an interesting story full of intrigue. Anne
Dawn Woods
kymla runnels
Apr 23, 2017
Vincent Ripley
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review will be posted on blog first http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com/
L
Mark Rutledge
Erika
Amanda Moore
Dec 10, 2013
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • The Stone of Valhalla
  • The Glass Gauntlet
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Precious Bones
  • Thy Kingdom Come (The Navitas Epidemic, #1)
  • Power of the Heir's Passion (Andy Smithson, #0.5)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Dictate Your Book: How To Write Your Book Faster, Better, and Smarter (Growth Hacking For Storytellers)
  • The Dragon in the Sea (Dragon Keepers #5)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Breadcrumb Trail (The Yellow Hoods, #2)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • The Parable Series: The Parable Of The Lily
  • Witches Protection Program
  • Spearwood Academy Volume Three (The Spearwood Academy #3)
R.M. Tudor lives just outside Stoke-on-Trent, UK, where she divides her time between writing, teaching and completing overly-ambitious creative projects. Box 1571 is her first novel.