Start by marking “New Beginnings (Everyday Angel, #1)” as Want to Read:
New Beginnings (Everyday Angel, #1)

New Beginnings

(Everyday Angel #1)

Meet a guardian angel like no other, from a writer like no other. Bold rising star, Victoria Schwab, makes her whimsical, inspiring, and clever middle-grade debut.

At a first glance, Aria seems like your average twelve-year-old girl. She has coppery hair, colored shoelaces, and a passion for cupcakes. But there's more to Aria than meets the eye. She can dream things into ex
Published May 27th 2014 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about New Beginnings, please sign up.
Fred Read the other two books #2 A Second Chance and #3 Last Wishes
Gracie The main character is Aria, the Angel, but there is also parts where Gabby tells the story
YA Novels of 2014
1,548 books — 9,149 voters
Angelfall by Susan EeHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Angels & Demons
703 books — 1,005 voters

More lists with this book...

☆ Mira ✷
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: you're in the schwabdom? yes? don't be a coward
3.5 stars. I’m just trying to live my life all the way up by reading every book my one true god Victoria Schwab has written.

And, well, aww. Heart eye emoji. This was nice. Not particularly outstanding or memorable, but I probably would've adored it in elementary school. I STILL can't believe Victoria wrote the Everyday Angel series (that fluffy lil pink cover in comparison to the nightmare that was everything else she's written, wow) but I'm weirdly proud of her for what a journey she's made.

S
Alaina
I told you I loved Victoria Schwab and now after reading New Beginnings, which will be my third book from her, I can say that I am in love with her writing.

I loved both Gabby and Aria. Gabby just wants to be notice for being herself - not because of her super sick brother. Then there's Aria, who is Gabby's guardian angel who actually ENJOYS helping people. I loved everything about these two girls just because they were so likable.

Again, I'm so freaking beyond happy that I found this book/series
Iris
Um, I'm sorry, what? Who gave this book permission to be so good?! I mean, it's Schwab, I know it wouldn't be awful, but... It just looks like light fun fluff. I should have known better. It WAS happy (mostly), but I was literally crying at parts. RTC.
Rachel
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Gabby who doesn't exactly know who she is. She doesn't really know where her place is in life. Her brother has been in the hospital for a very long time, and Gabby is so worried about him. She doesn't want to be noticed for her brother being sick. She wants to be noticed for herself.

Aria is a guardian angel sent to help Gabby with the problem she's been having. She is cheerful, outgoing and helpful. She tries to help Gabby with her problems and tries to make her f
Ashley Ferguson
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review*

Victoria Schwab continues to stun me with her gorgeous writing, incredible characters, and surprising plots. This is a middle grade book, but the only thing that makes it feel that way is the age of the characters. Other than that, I think this book could and should be enjoyed by people of all ages. It was so good!

I really loved that Aria is a guardian angel, but she isn't centuries old. She doesn't understand some things in
Jami Leigh
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, trad-pub, 2014, 5-stars, ala, paper
Plot: 5 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Style: 5 stars
Pace: 5 stars

I am so, incredibly lucky. ALA midwinter just happened to be less than a mile from my home this year, so I went. There were lots of lovely, wonderful people, and amazing books. I didn't figure they'd have this one (Given as her next book, The Unbound, comes out tomorrow, I figured if any, they'd have that!), but I was looking at Scholastic's books anyway.

I may have squealed when I saw this. Then gaped at the lovely person behind the
Lula McCuela
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked how it wasn't focused towards Gabby's brother, but towards Gabby herself. I liked that this book addressed that even if you have someone close to you, who is seriously sick, you shouldn't become less. Your problems might not seem as dire as that person's, and maybe they aren't, but you're still important, and your problems are real to YOU! Aria is a wonderful character. I look forward to reading more Everyday Angel books.
Marisol Miranda
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like angels, I bet you would love this book. This book tells you to help others with their feelings. Help others the way people help you. As I was reading, I made a connection with Aria because she helps people and I help people too. As I read the book I was sad and happy. I recommend this book to 6th graders who believes angels. I recommended the book because angels mean happiness, and that's what the book's about.
Kate
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014, arc
I had no idea that Victoria Schwab could write a heartwarming Middle Grade book, but that's what she did! I really enjoyed Gabby finding her voice, Aria's quirks and Gabby's relationship with her brother. I would have loved a book like this back in my MG days (so incredibly long ago).
🌹Asa Layne🌹
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stina
Book #12 for 2017; #5 for the Mt TBR Challenge
The Legendary Book Club of Habitica's Ultimate Reading Challenge Task: The first book in a series that you haven't read before
Better World Books Prompts:
- A book under 200 pages
- A fantasy novel
- A book by a female writer
Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge Prompts:
- A fantasy novel
- A YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+
Possible Book Bingo Squares:
- A book with a female heroine
- A book with multiple perspectives
PopSugar Ultima
tammy
you’re joking? i read this when i was in like elementary school. this book is literally sitting under my desk. god i can’t believe i read a book by the victoria schwab when i was just a kid. this is so funny bdnznxjzn oh man i hate myself
Gail Fazio
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, emotional
This book made me sad and happy at the same time.
Debby

Short and a quick read, definitely 100% made for middle grade readers. But that's not a bad thing. That just means that Victoria Schwab can write for any audience.

Considering how young the book slants, it actually manages to tackle rather tough subjects with tact, realism, and thoughtfulness. Not that I would have expected anything less from Schwab. But whoa. Girl with cancer-ridden brother feels invisible and needs a guardian angel to help her find her own place in the world. I definit
Kennedi Baker
I thought for the most part this book was a entertaining book. The main characters had bright personalities. The main characters names are Gabriel and Aria. Aria is sent on a mission to make Gabby lose her "smoke". Aria figures if she makes Gabby happy she'll get her wings and officially be a guardian angel. Most of the reason why Gabby has smoke is because her brother named Marco is very ill and basically lives in the hospital. Gabby never wants people to know that but she only told Aria becaus ...more
Lauren.Bastian
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am on a quest to read every single Victoria Schwab book. These are her (first?) middle grade/kids series. I got really nostalgic reading this first book, maybe just because of the stylization of the book itself - large font and that rough mass-market paper that's sort of yellowish. I was a little nervous because I haven't read something like this in a long time. but shame on me, because Victoria Schwab can do literally anything. It's surprisingly deep and has a lot of really great moments. Tho ...more
Kathy Sandlin
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was one of Emma's books I read on the way home from vacation. I had to find out why she was reading this book so many times. It was a good tween read. It had happy parts and very sad parts and it is a good age appropriate book. She had a lot of questions about Marcos illness.
Shelby H.
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was amazing. It's one of my favorite books. I recommend this book to people who love fiction books but also loves reading about angels.
Dance
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think it was really good because Gabby needs her help because of her brother and Aria relizes she has a really cool braclett
Haley H
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked how the story gave you emotions and you actually felt for the characters and what was happening to them.
Alex Blue
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5
Lelyan Ibraheem
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
Alana
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was short and sweet. It was inspirational and a good reminder that sometimes all we need is a new beginning, and that sometimes they are a good thing, not a bad thing.
Nita
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2015
Ach ja.. ist ja eigentlich für jüngere Leser, aber was soll es ... Victoria Schwab!! :D
BookChic Club
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really cute start to a fun and interesting new middle-grade series!
Maddy Martin
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Twas very cute. I'm looking forward to continuing on with this trilogy. Also, I don't think that we've seen the last of Gabby. I hope not. I liked her.
Calie Love
The book Everyday Angel New Beginnings by Victoria Schwab with 208 pages is about Aria and how she helps Gabby. It was a lovely day. Gabby and Marco were racing up the hill again. This time should would beat him. The only problem was, he never arrived at the top. Gabby woke up to Marco coughing. She remembered that those were the old days. Now, she was stuck in the hospital for Marco. Marco had gotten the Bad, and they moved from home for it. Gabby's mom wasn't around for her much. Every time Ma ...more
Gabby U.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyday Angel is about a girl named Gabby. Gabby’s brother Marco, was sick and was always in the hospital. Now, she was always trapped in the hospital for Marco. Marco had gotten worse, and they had to move from home because of it. Gabby's mom wasn't around and never paid any attention to her. Gabby thought that she was invisible, until Aria, an angel showed up. Aria was an angel who had been sent to Gabby to earn her wings. She has to figure out what she needs to do to help someone in need. Ga ...more
Haley Hurst
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“‘Until you are a who!’ chimed in Aria. All three looked at her. ‘Until you know who you are,’ she clarified. ‘Yeah, exactly,’ said Charlotte, nodding firmly. The bell rang overhead. ‘So the question, Gabby Torres, is: Who are you?’” (131) (Powerful line) This shows how Gabby does not know who she is, she has no confidence. Her friends are even telling her that even if she has some confidence, she can do so many more things in her life. She will accomplish more when she knows who she is. Since M ...more
Keira Silavong
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! 1 4 Mar 17, 2015 04:42PM
  • Finding Ruby Starling
  • Gretel Pushes Back (Grimmtastic Girls #8)
  • Divided We Fall (Dog Tags, #4)
  • Liberty Porter, First Daughter
  • Life on Mars
  • Small Persons with Wings
  • A Million Ways Home
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • Sam Battles the Machine! (Eerie Elementary, #6)
  • Framed & Dangerous (Sleuth or Dare #3)
  • The White Tower
  • Never Walk in Shoes That Talk (Roscoe Riley Rules, #6)
  • The Curious Cat Spy Club (Curious Cat Spy Club, #1)
  • A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries, #3)
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Citadel of the Sky (Thrones of the Firstborn #1)
  • The Secrets of Tree Taylor
  • The 12 Dares of Christa
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

Everyday Angel (3 books)
  • Second Chances (Everyday Angel, #2)
  • Last Wishes (Everyday Angel #3)
“Knowing didn’t make it any easier. Aria” 1 likes