Start by marking “A Woman's Choice” as Want to Read:
A Woman's Choice

A Woman's Choice

It is 1901. Queen Victoria is dead; a new era has begun. And on a cold April morning a young girl stands uncertainly on Liverpool Docks ready to board an emigrant ship that will take her to America and an unknown future. Michael, Luke, and Meg are amongst her fellow travellers, with the common bond that only determination and self-belief will sustain them in their new live ...more
Published July 6th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about A Woman's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman's Choice

Start your review of A Woman's Choice
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it

From Gloucestershire, England, to New York City.

Making her way with her mother, Jenny, to a new life in America after her father died, Clara realized she was able to take care of her mother and still make choices. The boat ride across the Atlantic wasn't pleasant, but Clara And her mother met folks to share the worries and hopefully folks that they would see again some day.

Clara also found out that New Yorkers were not a pleasant lot. The early days of their arrival were spent in adapting to liv
Karen
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
We first meet Clara Foley in 1901, when she is 12 years old and boarding a ship at Liverpool, with her mother Jenny to start a new life in America. Her mother has become very fragile following the death of her husband and Clara finds herself increasingly having to make decisions for both of them. Clara has a very old head on young shoulders and it is this strength of character that will sustain her for the future, where, unbeknown to her at the time, some of her fellow passengers will have a hug ...more
Lauralee
A Woman’s Choice follows a young English immigrant, named Clara Foley, into the U.S. The story tells of the friends she made on the immigrant ship, her ups and downs in America, her dreams and the choices she made. Most of all, it is about Clara trying to find happiness and identity in a world that is hostile to other races. Clara must choose what is right and stick to her conscience, even if she has to forsake those she loves.

The first thing to describe Clara Foley is that she is beautiful. At
Anne
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book was a really lovely read - I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and would highly recommend to all who enjoy a good story, well told, set against a vivid historical backdrop.

On the first page we’re introduced to twelve year old Clara Foley as she embarks a ship at Liverpool docks together with her ailing mother Jenny, facing a long journey as steerage passengers bound for a new life in America. Once on board, her mother is taken under the wing of the wonderful Bertha Ramsay, allowin
ReaderSP
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Although I love historical fiction, I would never have picked this book up as I tend to prefer history surrounding the English kings and queens of past, particularly Philippa Gregory’s books. I came across this book as the author was offering free copies in exchange for an honest review, so I thought I’d try it out.

The story follows Clara Foley from 1901, when she is 12 years old and boarding a ship at Liverpool, with her mother Jenny to start a new life in America. Clara’s father has recently
Rosie Amber
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Woman's Choice spans approximately 18 years of Clara Foley's life. It begins just after the turn of the 20th Century, with young Clara. At nearly 12 years old she and her mother are about to embark on a steamer bound for America where they intend to start a new life. Turned out of their home after Clara's father died, their only hope came in the offer of assistance from Clara's Aunt in New York.

This book is about the strength of women. Clara must be strong where her mother is weak from grief.
Bodicia
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a powerfully emotive read. It starts with 12 year old Clara Foley emigrating to America to start a new life with her mother after her father is killed in an accidental shooting. We follow Clara’s determination to make something more or herself and her life through childhood to stardom to motherhood. On that first journey across the sea she makes solid friendships with children around her own age which will shape her life and decision making for decades to come. Clara’s friendship w ...more
Jaffareadstoo
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
When we first meet Clara Foley, she is a stalwart twelve year old, with an old head on young shoulders, her compassion belies her tender years. As she boards an emigrant ship at Liverpool to start a new life in America with her delicate mother, her energy and zest for life is palpable. What then follows is a beautifully written account of Clara’s time in the land of opportunity, of the people she meets and of the friendships she makes along the way.

I really enjoyed this lovely historical saga wh
Maria
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was completely immersed into this book from practically the first page and stayed that way until the last. A Woman's Choice follows the life of Clara Foley as she immigrates from England to New York in the early 1900s.

Her journey begins on the steam boat transporting her and her mother to Ellis Island. From that point, the reader follows her through life in the tenement and upward. The author did an excellent job of intertwining history into the overriding story and into specific characters.

C
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"A Woman's Choice" is the story of Clara, a young Irish immigrant who comes to New York City with her ailing mother to start a new life like so many other European families during the early 1900s. I've always been drawn to stories of immigrants. My own family came over to the States in the early 1900s for the most part and I have a lot of respect for those that made the choice to leave it all behind and create something new.

I really enjoyed the setting of the book. I love reading about New York
Barbara
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this well written, historical novel by Annie Thomas. A great sense of time and place is created as the reader is transported back into the early part of the 20th century. From the opening scenes at Liverpool docks the story really drew me in. From Liverpool the author transports us to New York with a gently rolling story aboard ship. Clara, aged 12, is in charge of her mother, her father has died, and together they board the emigrant ship for New York. It is a story of friendshi ...more
Lynn
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received A Woman's choice from the Author Annie Thomas for review.

I really enjoyed this book once started, I didn't want to put it down. Following the life of Clara through her fight from poverty to privilege, she follows her dreams never giving up up in a new country during times of suffrage and war.
Lorrie
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book. I especially liked the ending and thought it nearly perfect! Thank you, Annie Thomas, for providing me with this free kindle copy to read and offer feedback on. Yay, Clara Foley!!
May
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A young Irish girl immigrates to NYC in the early 1900's. This story of her dreams and challenges, her choices, is nicely written. It was a delightful story & I enjoyed it immensely. Perfect for a day spent traveling!! ...more
L.
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
PROS: That's nice artwork on the cover.

CONS: The only good thing I can say about this book is it has nice artwork on the cover.
Kimberly
Dec 05, 2018
Mary Ellen doValle
Aug 17, 2018
lynn whittingham
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
May 21, 2014
Micki Levin
May 31, 2014
1 follower
Annie Thomas lives in rural England, in a 19thc converted pub with her husband and son.

She studied English and History at University, combining her love of reading with the broad canvas of public events and the human stories of the people who lived through them.