Start by marking “Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

The stories of F.Sionil Jose are culled from Filipino life and are clear windows to the humanity of a people striving for justice and well being. Some are also charming episodes on growing up and discovery.
Published March 15th 1998 by Solidaridad Pub. House

To ask other readers questions about Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

Start your review of Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories
Maria Ella
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maria Ella by: Ayban Gabriyel
"How could two very young people get to know the arcane ways of loving, caring? I did not know then what love was but I did know feeling - unexpressed, compulsive - "
-Puppy Love, an excerpt

A collection of stories by the National Artist F. Sionil Jose, he coincided the them of love into his foray of genres - from magical realism, to taboo tales, to Noir-ish takes, and even a shot of a children's story. The red book is romantic but is not cheesy. He weaves the words like a household chore, li
Ultimotomasino
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another five stars for F. Sionil Jose. Puppy Love is in no way sugary for those who are interested, neither is it all corny when it touches upon the different aspects and angles of the ever elusive concept of love.
Puppy Love, is hands down, one of his best short stories but one must also remember to sink their teeth into the other short stories in the collection like that of "The female principle", you're in for one hell of a hike with this one.
Like in his other novels, Jose takes on the coat of
Nin
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories portrays love and its different facets (a love that is..., the love for...) and the loss of innocence. Humor is laid on thin and a certain heaviness is present in most, if not all of the stories. These are very thought-provoking and realistic (except maybe for one) that I often found myself questioning the reasons for the characters' behavior, why they have different notions about justice (who deserves it, who should give it, how they would get it, will they ...more
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fsj, my-library, signed, 2013, pinoy
4.5 really.

Should've given this the perfect five because The Female Principle is really superb and The Waltz almost made me cry but I didn't like Dream Videos. So, there. 4.5

P.S.

I still love you, FSJ. ♥
Michael Nelmida
This is my least favorite work of F.Sionil Jose but I liked the Dream Videos.
Den
Jul 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
"... all of the little things about her life and in between, those nuances only they understood."

top picks: the female principle, waltz, and dream videos.
Aj Garchitorena
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Waltz is my favourite. The concept of forbidden and 'never-ending love' was very touchy for me back when I was waaay younger, nevertheless, Waltz is still my favourite. The first time I read this, my chest ached for all the perturbed emotions that were built from the first sentence up to the very last words of the short story.

This whole collection is, matter of fact, worth reading. :)
Letlet Dimzon
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
its awesome
K.D. Absolutely
Is it fair to write what you think about the book even if two years have lapsed since the time you finished reading it?

This book was our book read in Pinoy Reads Pinoy Books in December 2019. We went to Solidaridad Bookstore and interviewed the 95-year old National Artist F. Sionil Jose. The interview lasted for almost 3 hours and had it not for his wife who said that it was Jose's bedtime, the interview could have lasted on and on.

Out of those 3 hours we might have talked about the book for ju
John Ray Catingub
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
FSJ's strengths as a novelist are distilled and purified in his short stories. They are as potent as his longer works. While not every story resonated with me, the ones that did gave me pause and made me sit and think a while: Puppy Love, The Other Forest, Waltz, A Walk With My Grandson, and Walking on Fire. The first three I enjoyed because I am a romantic, the fourth because it was touching, and the fifth because it reminded me of Nick Joaquin's use of the folkloric in magical realism. FSJ's " ...more
Betsy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book of charming short stories that evoke the Philippines with every image. Most are set in the Philippines, though at least one reflects the diaspora in the U.S.. The author captures the poverty, the resentment of colonialism and the class system that are vivid in the Philippine experience. My last sentence is a statement; these stories are an evocation.
Cece
May 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
F Sionil’s writing evokes picturesque sceneries in the mind and captures feelings of nostalgia for me. He takes the reader on a ride with his characters by letting us readers understand the emotions the characters go through. The commentary on the environment they belong to, the emotions they’ve felt due to events— these all come together with how masterful F Sionil crafts his stories.
Bvikee
Ereln Cabiles
Kyle
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
I’ll remember this book for having some of the most satisfying endings I have ever read.
Chenley Cabaluna
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
#54 of 2014

Binuo nito ang taon ko. Ang sarap basahin. Teka lang ranting 'to ha. Wag umasa ng profound at pa-deep na review kase layman lang naman ako. Wahaha.

Yung choice of words. Yung way ng pagku-kwento. Sobrang ugh. Kada tapos ng isang short story sobrang emotional ko sa sobrang ganda haha.

May mga nakakagulat. May mga unexpected sobra ang ending. Galing talaga. Fan girl na niya ko.

Female principle ang pinaka-gusto kong short story. :-)
John Exos
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Puppy Love and the other short stories is a good way of familiarizing yourself with F. Sionil Jose's writing style.

I recommend reading these stories first before the big move to the Rosales Saga Novels.
LJ
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first time i read a book written by a Filipino author.. Surprisingly, i loved it!

Had to create a book review out of this book.
My favorite is Puppy Love and Female Principle!
Jules Fuentes

• Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • What Lies Between Us
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • A Very Punchable Face
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Book Love
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Kiss My Cupcake
  • For He Can Creep
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • This Phenomenal Life: The Amazing Ways We Are Connected with Our Universe
  • The Vision: Reflections on the Way of the Soul
  • Bluets
  • Rhyme Stew
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • 99 Stories of God
Francisco Sionil José was born in 1924 in Pangasinan province and attended the public school in his hometown. He attended the University of Santo Tomas after World War II and in 1949, started his career in writing. Since then, his fiction has been published internationally and translated into several languages including his native Ilokano. He has been involved with the international cultural organ ...more