Start by marking “Playing With Fire (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing With Fire (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #2)

Playing With Fire

(The 1st Freak House Trilogy #2)

PRAISE FOR THE WRONG GIRL (BOOK 1 IN THE 1ST FREAK HOUSE SERIES):
"It is incredibly well written and pulls you in from page one." ~ Annaleen, Amazon and Goodreads reviewer

"This was one fantastic read! A really fascinating story which I couldn't put down, so this is easily a 5 stars." ~ Cora, Goodreads reviewer

"I freaking LOVE THIS BOOK!!!" ~ Tiffany, Goodreads reviewer

"Bri
Published September 2013 by Oz Books

Alatea
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Just finished the book. My first thought was - what an inapropriate ending. Who ends the second book in a trilogy without a cliffhanger?! (Not that it wasn't there. It was. But this ending (view spoiler) made me roll my eyes).

Another thing - this book was a lot better than the first one. Some of the side characters (not all of them though) finally had personalities and a "baggage"! Loved that.

The love story is still pretty lame, but I think it's finally getting somewh
C.J. Milbrandt
I like the way the plot has thickened, and I am vastly grateful that Archer isn't relying upon a wearisome love triangle to create tension. Many questions remain unanswered, and fresh obstacles must be overcome. This trilogy really needs to be taken as a whole; it's one story divided into three parts. And Archer neatly raises the stakes.
Linda Collings
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Awesome!! My new fav author!!!Already started book 3!
Ciera Palmer
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Completely Melanie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy. This one was good, but like most trilogies, it's not quite as good as the 1st. The only negative I have for this book really is that it felt as though it just ended abruptly. (I am listening to the audio books for this trilogy) I was just listening and then it was over and I felt like there should have been another chapter or something. It just seemed to end slightly odd. I am really enjoying the story though. I have already begun listening to the ...more
Sarah Battease
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I like all of C. J. Archer's books that I've read. They are entertaining, quick reads. No, the characters (women especially) do not act like typical Victorians. However, magic wasn't really around then either, so I think a little artistic license should be allowed.
Veronica A Pitts
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Caricatures

I finished book 2 in the series of Freak House Trilogy. I liked the caricatures introduced in this story, they have made this book more interesting. It was nice to read about the friendship developing between
Jack + Samuel.
Deanna
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Adding more mystery into the historical paranormal story.
Jacqueline Fearon
great series i will be sorry when i finish the series looking i will be buying more books by this author
Lindsey
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book would recommend. cant wait to read the next one
Donna
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice quick easy read from Ms Archer. The book delves into why Hannah is a firestarter and what lengths the bad guys will go to get her back.
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
I want to give this five stars but the only LGBTQ+ character so far is the villain. That said, I did love the book
Chiara
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must admit, C.J. Archer is one of those authors that you know will draw you in. After I read The Wrong Girl, I was in love with the story within the pages. And I knew that I wanted to read more of Hannah’s story. And then along came Playing With Fire.

Playing With Fire is different to The Wrong Girl. Hannah has been at Frakingham for a few weeks, and she’s adjusted. She knows a bit more about her powers, she’s comfortable with the other residents (okay, maybe not Langley and Bollard, but who wo
Kayla D
Playing with Fire is the long awaited sequel to The Wrong Girl, which concluded with a massive cliffhanger in the form of the arrival of a certain Mr. Samuel Gladstone. Playing with Fire involved the antagonist of the previous book, Reuben Tate, new discoveries and a lot more drama between Jack and Hannah. Emphasis on “a lot”.

I was pleasantly surprised by Playing with Fire. In fact, I initially thought that this would suffer from the dreaded second book syndrome and I had never been so happy to
Rach3975
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-own-it
The middle book in the Freak House trilogy was just as good as the first, except for one issue I'll get to in a minute. Some big questions from book 1 have now been answered (or we at least know more than we did), and there are new mysteries to move the story forward.

Very minor spoiler below...
Much as I enjoyed the story, there's one detail that bothered me. If you're going to have 1 gay character in a story, WHY does it have to be the villian? His sexual orientation does not add to book 2's st
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
See full review on the Moonlight Library here.

HOW CAN YOU END IT LIKE THAT?! *sobs hysterically, clinging to book*

I never thought I'd say this but I NEED MOAR HANNAH AND JACK.

Thankfully CJ Archer is a self-publisher and the next book is due in December.

Pre-review: YOU GUYS I AM SO EXCITED I CAN'T EVEN.

description
Terri
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I am still on the fence about whether these characters are believable and whether information is being withheld deliberately to maintain suspense, or the author doesn't feel it is needed at all. I did get an explanation for the attic (sort of), although it was a little too simplistic for me, but I am still reading, so that says something.
When discussing this series to someone else, the best explanation I could give was I like it like I like an Adam Sandler or Kevin James movie, blatant plot hole
Heidi Galieti
This whole series was a little too self inflicted trouble, and stupidity. Maybe I have a hard time believing a girl who was raised as a servant and often stood up for herself and her friend as they were essentially imprisoned all their young lives, would not have a problem voicing her feelings to the boy she likes. It was a level of insecurity I didn't enjoy. Nor did I find it true to character.
I did read the book quickly and it was a good distraction from life, but it did not transport me.
Oh, a
Alex Owens
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ms. Archer sure does have a way of setting the page alight with heat and chemistry... and she came up with an ingenious way to keep the two lovebirds apart for the time being. Add in a cast of complex characters, a few Big Bad's and a rich, historical setting and you have the makings of a great series. I also like how this series blends the scientific with the fantastical, in a way that makes everything seem plausible.

I'm just as satisfied after reading this book (#2 in the series) as I was aft
Lisa
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Erin
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Why am I still waiting to learn about the back stories of Hannah and Jack? Will I ever find out who their parents were or why they were "given" to Langley and Tate? The build up to these books is good, there is the possibility of an exciting conclusion. But then everything gets wrapped up in a pretty little bow with no explanation of how or why. It's very frustrating. Also, I don't like that the book ends at 88%. That feels like a mean tease.
Julie Powell
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the trilogy sees Hannah fighting for control, answers, and her life, as enemies swarm.

There are some answers to the mystery but not all, which, of course makes the story more intriguing.

A well-written tale of the supernatural mixed with romance and mystery.

Recommended.
Lauren
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the story continues Hannah and jack find out more about their past.

I enjoyed the continuation of the story and sorting out a little bit more of the mystery. August Langley is SO frustrating I just want to throttle him, God can't that man ever answer a straight question. I hope all is resolved in the last book.
Nicole
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I love this series! It's well written and has a great plot that keeps me turning pages. I just purchased the third and final book and can't wait to dive in to see how Ms. Archer wraps things up. I would recommend this series to young adult fans who like a bit of paranormal with their historical romance.
Joan
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the first one for the reason that the characters are more real and better developed. The storyline continues to twist and turn in directions that keep you glued to the book. As you learn more about them,you are drawn into the situation and the frustrations they are going through. This is a good book and look forward to reading the next one.
Noemie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a lot better then the first book. A lot more was happening and everything starts to come together. The characters are all a little too clueless and don't seem to understand that the secrets they keep shouldn't even be secrets to start with, that's the only thing that is making me like and not love this book. I do enjoy the mix between historical and fantasy.
Joan
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book two and it is so much better at least to me then book one. The characters are more developed, the plot thickens and the twists and turns keep coming. You get a better look at the history behind the main characters but still keeps you wondering. Great second book; already on the third.
Lisa P
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
What's nice about this story is that while there is definitely a relationship brewing but it's not the focus. There are new characters that help shed some light on things. Langley and Bollard remain enigmatic. This was a quick read which makes you want to get right to the next book.
Country Goose
Meh.....

Two books through, and still very few answers. I think C.J. was inspired by J.K. Rowling and failed.

The love interest is keeping me satisfied enough to raise my rating from 2 stars to 3.
Valerie Worster
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every time a question is answered, a new one pops up. I love the interesting characters and the way the interact. I was happy to see Jack and Hannah grow closer. I love the way they love each other! Great writing!
  • Gwen Reaper
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Banish
  • Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)
  • Shadowburbia
  • Tower of Obsidian
  • The Heartless City (The Gold and Gaslight Chronicles #1)
  • Red Hot Dragon (Dragon Heat, #2)
  • The Possession of Cassie Quinn
  • Absolution (Edgewood, #3)
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Breaking Away (Breaking, #2)
  • The Loved, The Lost, The Dreaming
  • Shara and the Haunted Village
  • If I Fall (Circle and Cross, #1)
  • Sensation (Kid Sensation, #1)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

The 1st Freak House Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1)
  • Heart Burn (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #3)