Start by marking “A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)

A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  16,378 Ratings  ·  719 Reviews
Art restorer and sometime spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna to discover the truth behind a bombing that gravely injured an old friend, but while there he encounters something that turns his world upside down. It is a face --- a face that feels hauntingly familiar, a face that chills him to the bone.

While desperately searching for answers, Allon will uncover a portrait of
Published February 1st 2005 by NAL Trade (first published November 12th 2003)

Barbara

Multi-lingual Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon is restoring a painting in Venice when a bomb destroys the 'Wartime Claims and Inquiries Office' in Vienna, Austria. Gabriel's friend Eli Lavon is badly wounded and Eli's staff is killed. When Gabriel travels to Vienna to investigate he meets an elderly Holocaust survivor who claims that a prominent, wealthy, local businessman - Ludwig Vogel - is really a Nazi war criminal named Erich Radek.

Before long the elderly Holocaust survivor
Zbegniew
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
This is 4th novel featuring the protagonist Gabriel Allon, a semi-retired Mossad agent whose day job is now as one of the world's foremost art restorers. The story starts in Venice and includes stops in Argentina, Israel and Munich but as the title suggests it mostly revolves around characters and events in Vienna. The plot concerns a former SS member who has changed his identity and now seeks to bring his hard right-wing brand of politics to Austria. It deals with Austria's lingering anti-Semit ...more
Susan Kelley
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Set across Europe and in Israel, A Death in Vienna is a spy tale intent on righting some of the wrongs of The Holocaust. Part-time spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna by The Office (think CIA, but deadlier) to investigate a bombing at the Wartime Claims and Inquiries office. Following clues to the identity of a Nazi officer, Gabriel travels the globe with an assassin hot on his tail.

While this book was very interesting, and I learned more about the atrocities of the Nazis, I can't say it was ri
Steve
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite installment in the series so far!

Rock solid airplane reading, with the added benefit of lots (and lots) of travel and fun venues (Buenos Aires, Jerusalem, Munich, Rome, Vienna, ... and Northern Virginia, ahem), some extremely creative use of history, historical research and archives, and art and religion and banking and ... OK ... intrigue and violence and ... Take my word for it, there's a lot going on here.

I admit I was a little slow on the uptake and was relieved (reaffirmed?) when -
Mafs
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good (literary) surprise and a tough reminder that sometimes fiction is a classroom for reality.
Very well-researched and appealing, it got me hooked from almost the begging. Although it got me on my nerves a couple of times by objectifying female tertiary female characters, I'll never forget the intense story of Gabriel's mother on that death march from the nazi concentration camp and how she represents lots of strong women and people who had to endure the horrors of Holocaust.

I'm de
Nuno Peralta
A minha estreia com Daniel Silva e fiquei conquistado. Já andava há algum tempo para o ler, mas foi sempre ficando para segundo plano. Agora que, por razões profissionais, conheci Viena, achei por bem pegar neste livro. Em boa hora o fiz! História com cabeça, tronco e membros, ficção mas com um fio condutor agarrado à História real e personagens muito bem conseguidas.
E agora, já sei que se seguem os restantes livros de Gabriel Allon... :)
Tim
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much about European collaborators and empathetic priests for the Nazis. Not near enough growth and vengeance for Gabriel Allon. 2 of 10 stars
Jake
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
The final work in Daniel Silva's Nazi troika of the Gabriel Allon canon (along with my favorite "The English Assassin" and "The Confessor") is another steady read. What I appreciated about this one is that there isn't as much over-the-top violence or romance, rather a gradual build up to the conclusion (which I still can't decide if I liked or not but I liked the book enough to forgive). Silva writes intelligent thrillers and yet they are very well-paced and readable. I've got the next book in t ...more
Maria Carmo
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
These are books that are excellently written, albeit a bit repetitive... Like a cook who found a good recipe and just uses it with slight alterations. Of course it is enthusing and full of suspense, well written and researched... I am going to go on reading the Allon series and I am sure that I will still find cause to give four stars again.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 12 September 2016.
Rose
Another excellent Daniel Silva book. This one delves into the darkness and horrors of the holocaust. A hard one to put down, highly recommend
Around the World ...: Discussion for A Death in Vienna 10 65 Dec 15, 2012 07:23PM
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • The Nearest Exit (The Tourist, #2)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • The Hunted
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Allah's Scorpion (Kirk McGarvey #11)
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)
“The Germans are fond of saying that only Austria could convince the world that Beethoven was an Austrian and Hitler was a German.” 2 likes
“Aktion 1005,” 0 likes