Start by marking “Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)” as Want to Read:
Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)

Another One Bites the Dust

(Jaz Parks #2)

Jaz Parks has enough trouble in her personal life. What she doesn't need is more trouble with her vampire boss and another mission. This time she has to retrieve a vital piece of biotechnology by killing the maniac who stole it: an ancient Chinese vamp. Their cover in this mission: professional entertainers at the Corpus Christi's Winter Festival.

The crew's all here: a
Published December 12th 2007 by Orbit (first published December 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Another One Bites the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another One Bites the Dust

Start your review of Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
AH
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Imagine a government team of assassins made up of a vampire, a sensitive, a psychic, a gadget guru and an ex private investigator. Put these characters (and they are characters) together and you have Jaz Park’s team in Another One Bites the Dust. Jaz’s crew must find Chien Lung a vampire that has stolen a prototype Dragon Armor. They also have to dodge a few reavers – paranormal creatures that steal souls, and a few rednecks – humans that hate others.

Set in Corpus Christi during the Winter
Seth
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book isn't really any worse than you'd expect, but it doesn't fulfill the promise of the first book, Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Once Bitten took what seemed to be a formula repackaging of the "modern vampire action tale (female protagonist variant)" and move it into some interesting places. In particular, the heroine (a non-vampire sidekick to a vampire assassin, both working for the CIA) discovering she is a revenant, a spirit brought back from the dead to fight evil. In this case, evil
The Flooze
I didn't like the first book of this series, but nowadays so many authors seem to flub their first books that I decided to give Another One Bites the Dust a try.

The overuse of simile is irritating. The plot consists of a lot of childish antics and Jaz getting injured. But once the action and fighting begins, Rardin's writing becomes more focused. Her skills lie in the panic of those final moments, making you forgive (somewhat) her lackluster set-up.

My main issue with this series remains true:
Archer
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Summary (from back cover):

I’m Jaz Parks. CIA assassin. Black Belt. Belly dancer at the Corpus Christi Winter Festival. The last is cover for my latest mission: retrieve a vital piece of biotechnology by killing the maniac who stole it. The thief is not your run-of-the-mill nut job, either. He’s Chien-Lung, an obsessive vamp who’s invulnerable while wearing his armour – which is constantly.

Then there are the reavers, ancient fiends who murder innocents and eat their souls. Only I can sense them.
Steph
Another One Bites the Dust is the 2nd book in the Jaz Parks series, so some series spoilers may exist.

Reading Order:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin

In Another One Bites the Dust Jaz and Vayl's mission is to find Bergman's super snazzy protective armour that's been stolen by the Chinese Vamps. They go undercover at the Winter Festival as performers, Jaz is a belly dancer and Vayl is the muscle man. Jaz continues to have blackouts, but this time around they are a bit more worrisome.

While I enjoyed the first book in
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Jaz and her team are on another mission and this one is even more dangerous than the last. Not only are they dealing with a Chinese vampire who has stolen some very sophisticated biotechnology but there are also the soul sucking reavers that only Jaz can sense. To top it all off Jaz is suffering with some serious nightmares - ones that get her into some very dangerous situations. She has her team along for back up but with them all living together in a small RV while they pose as entertainers at ...more
Julia
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Another One Bites the Dust" is the second book in Jennifer Rardin's series on Jaz Parks- an assassin. This book was even better than the first, it really made me laugh. I love how the 'crew' interacts with each other... just like a dysfunctional family. I'm not sure if I have a strange sense of humor or this book really was as humorous as I think it was.. Ah, who cares, I REALLY enjoyed myself. =) If you haven't started reading this series yet, read my review of the first book here.

I loved the
Alexandra
This book was sent to me by a dear friend and unfortunately, it's just terrible.

Too much? Perhaps:

This book is just not my thing.

I do believe that it has systemic issues that aren't just problems for me, though.

Firstly, and I acknowledge this is partly my fault, I haven't read the first book (Once Bitten, Twice Shy). So I don't have the knowledge about the relationships that might have made some of the banter and the fraught silences make more sense. Pardon does attempt to explain how they're
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm working my way through this series, and having enjoyed the first book, Once Bitten, Twice Shy, I thought Another One Bites the Dust was equally as fun and easy to read. Jaz and Vayl, along with Cole, Cassandra and Bergen, are on a mission to prevent Chien-Lung, and insane Chinese Vampire, from creating an international incident at the Corpus Christi Winter Festival. Chien-Lung is near invincible, having stolen Bergen's invention, an armour that binds with it's wearer on a cellular level, and ...more
Tez
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Rachel
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
While this book didn't have the immediacy and drama of the first book, it was still fun to read. The characters were fleshed out a bit more (so to speak), and the tension between Jaz and Vayl took a step forward (finally!)

In this book, Jaz and Vayl are sent against a Chinese killer wearing dragon scale armor that Bergman built. They have to get the armor back, and foil the latest plot to take over the world. In the meantime, Bergman and Cassandra aren't getting along, and Cassandra's getting
Sandra
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 2 in the Jaz Parks series.

CIA Pete has called the gang together to recover Bergman's dragon armour, that was being tested at a US military installation. It is an old vampire, Chien Lung who has taken it as he is obsessed with becoming a dragon. He's as nutty as a fruitcake but that just makes him more dangerous.

Lung has a couple of Vampires and Reavers to assist him in his quest to start a Chinese/American war, which is Edward Samos's (the Raptor) plan. Jaz is the only one who can see the
Cheryl La Pa
An enjoyable read though I found it big on action, but not so much on character development. It was a light, easy read - I loved the team dynamics and Cole's witty comebacks. Jaz is a very likeable character though she probably gives Vahl grey hairs as she is always jumping into danger. I would have liked a bit of romance or at least some sexual tension between Jaz and Vahl - I didn't feel their connection at all, only as work partners. I lost interest in the mission and found the plot wandering ...more
Kati
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
As much as I like Jaz, Vayl, Cassandra, Cole and Bergman (hello, Rodney McKay!) this story really didn't hold my interest. Yes, the writing was funny and Jaz's quips hilarious, the story nevertheless dragged in places. Also, the whole body-armor thingy that Lung stole, well, it seemed a bit over the top. I don't know, I just didn't find it all that interesting. The saving grace of this book are the lovable characters, that's for sure. They behave like one big family, though the jealousy between ...more
Yodamom
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Urban Fantasy at it's best. Vayl and Jaz team up with Cassandra psychic and Cole a sensitive. The hunt for Santos leads them to Corpus Christi Texas at a Winter festival where Jaz serves Vayl a sexy belly dance. Jaz struggles with nightmares trying to recover from her love loss. Feeling are sparking on the sidelines between Jaz and Vayl, as is power developed from their union. Excellent action and character development.I could not set this book down.
melissa
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely stronger than the first book, and this one seems to hook me into the series a bit more. I liked the introduction of the Reaver beasties and Jaz's team of scoobies seems to be coming together a bit. This storyline has them following the trail of Ramos to TX and a subplot involving a possible war with China.
Anne
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like this series. I honestly think Jaz is the funniest heroine I've run across in an urban fantasy setting. The plot can seem a bit overwhelming at times, almost like there are too many different things going on to figure out what is important. It's still a very good story, though. I would recommend this series to anyone who likes lots of action and very little romance.
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This series is quite interesting but I'll tell you I'm just reading it to see if anything happens between Jaz and Vayl their adventures are fun and their gang is quirky which I love they have some hysterical quotes, and I just love them. This adventure was wild and crazy and left me feeling tired, but I am obviously still interested I'm what they will be doing in their next mission.
Jim
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
It was OK, but a little too much 'action chick' with an obvious plot & a heroine who made too many of her own problems. It wasn't quite as good as the first book, which was only 'ok', IMO, so this is it for the series for me. My daughter really likes it, so maybe it is my older, male perspective that harms the book in my eyes.
Rachel C.
And I loved it as much as the first one. (view spoiler) Can't wait to start the next one!
Allison
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first. Lots of sarcasm and wit, and plain old ass kicking. Nice!
Mandi Kahles
Jan 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
This author's style is not really my thing. Too many fantastical characters in addition to the vampires for me to truly believe in the world of the book.
LadyCroft86
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
The action was good and the plot was alright, not as good as the first book but not awful. The characters were exactly the same, not a whole lot of development. Jaz gets some information about her family and herself but Vayl gets absolutely nothing in the way of development. He just exists and he runs around wringing his hands over Jaz and her blackouts. He doesn't actually do much in this book and we only discover slightly more than we already knew about his past.
The main thing that annoyed
Kristy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I was a little frustrated with this for a while and I said I wouldn't continue this series if it was resolved in a particular way. Although it wasn't resolved that way, the alternative still didn't appeal to me I'm afraid. Either way, I moved on from that and generally liked the book. After reading the excerpt of the next one I decided to not get the next book either way though, simply because it appears like the rooster of characters is growing even more, and for some reason I'm put off by ...more
Lisa Able
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far the most unique paranormal book I've ever read. it's been years since I was able to finish a book that quickly. I was on the edge of my seat the entire book & it was full of surprises.
WARNING!!
Not for the faint of heart or weak stomachs.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being a big fan of vampire fic I did rather enjoy this. It has some very sassy characters in it but it is best if you have read the previous book in the sequel first as there are a lot of back references.
Ruth
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty and fast this is a great vampire paranormal series.
Sandirae Kennedy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my favorite series!
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This second installment in the Jaz Parks series is just as good as the first one, Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

The team travels to the Corpus Christi Winter Festival to intercept and stop Chien-Lung, an ancient Chinese vampire with a dragon fixation who has the deadly combination of being both brilliant and insane. In the past he has stolen nuclear technology and influenced foreign policy toward China. With the help of Edward Samos “The Raptor” he was able to steal Bergman’s invention, M55, from a
Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog)
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
Read more reviews like this at http://lovelybooksblog.blogspot.com!

I had liked the first book in the Jaz Parks series; it was fun, it was entertaining, and it had a good plot. Solidly a four star novel I was excited to read the next one but I wasn’t necessarily jumping out of my seat in excitement. When I got my hands on Another One Bites the Dust I was expecting another great read, but still a four star one. However, about half way through when I found myself desperate to keep reading even
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • Hunter Hunted (Lizzie Grace, #3)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
I’ve spent all my life in the Midwest, which has certainly shaped my perspective on all kinds of issues, from the question of whether or not we really have an accent, to the many and varied uses of corn.

I was born in Evansville, Indiana on April 28, 1965. Mom tells me almost every year what crappy weather it was that day. However I like to think of my birthday as the first frost-free date for my

Jaz Parks (8 books)
  • Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6)
  • Bitten in Two (Jaz Parks, #7)
  • The Deadliest Bite (Jaz Parks, #8)
“I can't belly dance.'

Yes, you can. It's in your fi--'

Will you stop reading my goddamn file!”
47 likes
“Excellent."
As soon as Bergman left earshot Vayl said, "I am going to buy you some pom-poms and a short pleated skirt-"
Hey, if Bergman needs a cheerleard, that's what he's getting."
Vayl tipped his head to one side and smiled wickedly. "I was just thinking perhaps I need a cheerleader as well."
Cassandra got up. "If that's where this conversation is headed, I'm leaving."
She wants some pom-poms too," I told Vayl.
I do not!”