Start by marking “By Summer's End” as Want to Read:
By Summer's End

Pamela Morsi

By Summer's End

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
SOME THINGS ARE JUST TOO HARD TO IMAGINE...

For instance, Dawn Leland never thought in a million years that she and her girls would ever end up back with her in-laws. Sixteen years is a long time to be away, but life has dealt her something unexpected. Now she has no choice.

AND SOME THINGS DON'T BEAR THINKING ABOUT...

Sephrona Leland said good riddance to bad rubbish when he
Published January 17th 2012 by Mira Books (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about By Summer's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Summer's End

Ariana Appleby
This was a really good read until the end... The book ended, and I was left wondering what the other half of the book was for. It didn't lead to the story, it didn't give any background to the story (as it was a total other story 'based' on the first story), it contradicted what was in the "real life" aspect of the book. I'm baffled, which makes me feel jipped. I still expect a story to explain itself, even if the ending is open-ended. Yet this book had two somewhat simultaneous stories, but onl ...more
kim
I wasn’t expecting much from this one. I picked it up on the last day of our library book fair last year when paperback romances were 5/$1. I had picked out four books, so I figured this was ‘free’ since I had to pick a 5th one. It didn’t matter if I didn’t finish it. But I was really surprised! It was very good!
Dawn is the mother of 2 teenage girls, Sierra and Dakota. She was widowed just before Dakota was born. And Dawn has a bit of a quirk; she only dates guys named ‘Sonny’, which was her hus
Andreasoldier
It sounds far-fetched but actually works: This is novel is narrated by a 13-year-old girl fascinated by the chaos theory; how everything happens, and no matter how chaotic, creates a pattern. The book is written in two parts, real life vs. Sonny Days.
The narrator's dad died before she was born. Now she, her older sister and mom are back in Knoxville living with her dad's parents because her mom has cancer.
Real life chapters are that;about real life.
Sonny Days are chapters written as if one littl
Chanpreet
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pamela Morsi is an amazing writer. Her historical romances are sweet and off the normal path. They aren't bodice rippers and really believable. But her contemporary books are even better, and coming from a major historical fan, that's saying a lot. Her topics are always endearing and I never fail to tear up in public and cry if I'm alone. This book deals with so many topics and issues I don't know where to start. It's not too heavy, but I'd recommend reading it when you have got some quiet time ...more
Kathi
Jul 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as captivating as some of her other stories, but a nice easy read told from the youngest daughter's perspective. Chapters alternate between "Real Life" and the past, which might be confusing if you aren't paying attention. The ending was kind of a let-down -- expected more of a climax due to the animosity between the mother and grandmother -- they never did air their past grievances with one another.
Brenda
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I didn't get where the flashbacks were going until a discussion on fractals between the grandfather and the granddaughter. Possible a spoiler, so don't read further unless you are willing to risk it: I thought it was some mystery that the older characters were covering up, as I assume the author intended, until after the fractal discussion, then I caught on. Very good book and highly recommended.
Lori
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Very good story line. It kept me interested all the way through. The only thing confusing was the double story line. It's like there were 2 different story lines of Sonny's life going on at the same time. It guess it puts into action the theory that they are talking about in the book ... one little thing can change your life drastically. And, these 2 story lines are they 2 outcomes that could have happened to the family. Interesting to think about!
Lori
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is a story of a woman who finds herself struggling with cancer while raising her two daughters. A family divide between her and her in-laws have kept her away from them for more than a decade. But, in order to raise her daughters while getting treatment, she opts to move back to her in-laws house. This time with their grandparents shows both girls how they ended up in the place they are in. The book is filled with hope and family.

Tamra
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Loved this story of forgiveness and second chances. I am a big fan of Pamela Morsi. I love the way she writes about the interaction in families in a very realistic, but sweet, manner. This is both the story of a single mother with two girls who is forced to ask her unforgiving former in-laws for help, and the love story (told in flashbacks) that has so affected them all, despite the passage of many years.
Caroline
Pamela Morsi is one of my all-time favourite authors, but this book was definitely not one of my favourites. I must confess the parallel story line threw me, and I did not realize it was related to the chaos theory until I read the reviews here on Goodreads and saw it being discussed. The ending was a bit disappointing, as well.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't figure out that it was two parallel stories until midway through, which really confused me. Woman with two kids goes to live with deceased husband's parents when she gets sick.
Carmussel
Morsi is good at 'women's fiction' - I thought she handled the teenaged characters in this novel. The ending wasn't totally believeable, but overall the book was a good read.
Amy
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Interesting light read. While the story is no great shakes, I like the idea of applying chaos theory to lives...change one small (or not so small) detail and you create a whole new pattern.
Karen L Portch
What?

I really enjoyed reading this as I tried to figure out the end. Still confused.
Two different stories and only one has an ending?
Beverly
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story, though predictable. One of the main characters is only 13, but talks as though she were much older. A little unbelievable even with the way she had grown up.
Kira
Wrenching. Beautiful. Insightful. Chaos theory meets life lessons. Yes, there is order in the universe, even if we can't see it but from an eternal perspective.
Diane
Tammy
Feb 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Beachcomber
  • Warning Signs (Angels of Mercy, #2)
  • Heart of the Night
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Carly's Gift
  • Go Down to Silence
  • Skinny Dipping
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)
  • Tapestry
  • The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)
  • Stargazey Point
  • Bitter Sweet
  • The Journey Home
  • Montpelier Tomorrow
  • The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)
  • Cloud Nine
Pamela Morsi is a USA Today, Waldenbooks, and Barnes & Noble bestselling author of romance. She broke into publishing in 1991 with Heaven Sent and has been gracing readers with at least a book a year ever since. Two of her novels, Courting Miss Hattie (1992) and Something Shady (1996), won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award, the highest honor in romance publishing, and others have bee ...more
More about Pamela Morsi...