Start by marking “Love on the Range” as Want to Read:
Love on the Range

Love on the Range

Any other socialite would view being packed off to a remote Oregon ranch as a punishment. But Gracelyn Riley knows that this is her opportunity to become a real reporter. If she can make her name through an interview with the elusive hero known as Striker, then she'll never have to depend on anyone ever again.
Rancher Trevor Cruz can't believe his secret identity is being
Published April 1st 2012 by Love Inspired Historicals (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love on the Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love on the Range

Start your review of Love on the Range
Faye
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucie's Review: A fresh western read.

Gracelyn Riley is a socialite from the big city, who dreams of becoming a reportor, and sees being sent off to her uncle's Oregon ranch as a prime opportunity to get an exclusive interview with the elusive hero, Striker.

Trevor Cruz, is a rancher with a secret alter-ego, who knows that Gracie's snooping might just get her into big trouble. And he intends to keep her as far away from trouble as he can.

This is, in my opinion, one of the best Love Inspired's I h
Rachel Brand
While writing my full review of this book I decided to bump my initial rating from 3.5 to 4. I guess I realised how much I truly enjoyed this book in retrospect :)

---

GENRE: HISTORICAL ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: LOVE INSPIRED/HARLEQUIN
PUBLICATION DATE: APRIL 03, 2012
RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 – VERY GOOD

PROS: Unique heroine; unusual subject matter for a historical novel

CONS: Jumped point of view confusingly in the middle of scenes; action scenes were rushed

As much as Gracelyn Riley hates to be separated from her
Kathy
Hmm, this is kind of a tough one. Most of the time I really enjoyed it and thought it was a good story. But, there were a few times that the characters bugged me or something just didn’t feel right. For the most part though, I thought it was a good story. Our heroine Gracie was likable, a little jabber box. It was fun to see her sweep into town and talk everybody’s head off. She has come to stay with her Uncle Lou and try and track down FBI agent Striker. She needs an interview with Striker so s ...more
Patty
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was 1918, WW1 was killing men overseas while the Spanish Influenza was killing Americans in their hometowns. Gracelyn Riley was sent her Uncle Lou’s in the desert of Oregon to avoid the influenza. She was a 20 year old Suffragist and news reporter who wanted 2 things: to get an interview with the elusive Striker and to gain independence from her parents. While in Oregon she searched for Striker, who, according to newspaper sources, was known to be there.

In Oregon, Gracelyn gained some freedom
Abbie
Gracelyn is sent west to live with her uncle due to a bad out break of influenza. Gracelyn was not very happy about being sent away but once she found out that she was heading to the same area the mysterious special agent “Striker” is believed to be living she grows excited to find him and get an interview so that once she returns east she can get a job as a reporter and not have to live by her parents rules.

Trevor work at Gracelyn’s uncles ranch and when Gracelyn keeps trying to find Striker
A.G. Howard
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long before it ever found a publishing home, and even then I saw the magic. I'm a huge fan of historical romance, and this story tackles an unusual era: 1918 during the Spanish influenza, when WWI is about to end. The hero is sexy, secretive, and protective and the heroine has a backbone. What more could anyone want from a romance? Miss Nelson has a gift for making her characters real, flawed, and relatable. Her debut novel has won a lasting fan in me.

Jennifer Shirk
Really enjoyed this! Loved the feisty heroine matched with the quiet, brooding hero. Also, I found the historical time period the author chose to be interesting and refreshing too.
Rea
Full review can be found here.

I find myself very polarised about this book. On the one hand, I enjoyed the gist of the story, the characters and the narrative voice. On the other hand, I often found myself incredibly insulted by the religious messages that it was pushing. I’m going to start with these.

Gracie, the heroine, is a devout Christian who sees God’s hand in everything. That’s fine, especially considering that this is set in the early 1900’s. But as soon as she discovers that the three m
Iola
Gracelynn Riley has travelled from Boston to the wilds of Harney County, Oregon, in search of the mysterious and misunderstood Striker, lawman and protector of defenceless women. She hopes that finding and interviewing him will provide her with the opportunity to earn a job as a journalist at the Woman’s Liberator, as an alternative to the society marriage her parents have planned for her. Not to mention the fact that she is half in love with the unknown stranger...

It is 1918, and the country is
Judy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love on the Range by Jessica Nelson
Gracie Riley wants independence. She is the only child to a wealthy Boston couple. Gracie lives the socialite life at home but has a spark of adventure in her. Her parents shocked her by announcing her engagement to Hugh even after she had refused. Now she has a new goal...find Special Agent Striker, interview him and become a reporter for the woman’s magazine. If she can earn a living on her own she could break out of her gilded cage. Opportunities door just o
Rhonda
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review:Love on the Range Jessica Nelson
4 STARS
A Good relaxing read about a bad time in history. It must have been scary seeing all the deaths from the Spanish influenza.
Gracelyn is from a rich old family Boston who are sending her out west so she won't get the flue. Grace only agreed to go because she found out that the goverment spy Striker lives out their and if she can interview him she will get a full time reporter job. She wants to be independant.
Her parents also arrainged a mairrage for h
K. Chase
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I've recently finished debut author Jessica Nelson's recently released Love Inspired Historical, Love on the Range. Set during the flu epidemic of the early 1900's, a young socialite sets out for the West to make a name for herself by finding an elusive lawman, Striker, to interview. She hopes by securing an exclusive with the man both rumored to be a child-killer and the savior of kidnapped women, she would earn a position at a prominent paper and live her life as she pleased, instead of marryi ...more
Romancing the Book
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Ursula
Review Copy Provided by the Author

Love on the Range is an inspired and clean Christian romance. Gracie is a naive and pampered socialite that is sent to stay with her uncle in Oregon to avoid the flu pandemic sweeping the nation. While she is naive and pampered, she is sweet and accepting of others.

In the beginning, she comes across as snobby, the way she ‘assumes’ certain things about people due to first impressions and appearances. Luckily
IrenesBookReviews
Do you like westerns? What if the author threw in a little mystery and some romance too? If you like any of those three plots in a book you will enjoy this adventure set in the early 1900’s. Gracelyn Riley has been sent to her uncle’s house in a remote area of Oregon. While there she decides to do some research and write an article about a hero from the West call “Striker.” One thing not on her agenda is to fall in love, but feelings for a certain rancher begin to surface! Rancher Trevor Cruz is ...more
J.
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance, inspirational, western, suffragette
Weaving history into romance can be challenging when the era itself is a challenging one. Jessica Nelson, the author of Love on the Range, has risen to the challenge and created an engaging tale set in Oregon, circa 1918. While readers may be familiar with the pandemic and World War looming over the country at the time, Lange also brings other parts of this era to vivid life. Automobiles still compete with wagons, the formation of the FBI is at hand, and women fight for greater opportunities. Wh ...more
Katie
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Love on the Range was a nice, one-time read that gave a very interesting view of ranching in the early 1900s when hoop skirts and horses were being replaced with short dresses and automobiles. I really enjoyed a peek at what ranch-life was like for people during this changing time in history.

Gracelyn was such a fun character! She had this bubbly way about her that I found instantly attractive and sweet and because she was such a talkative type...it led
Julie Barrett
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love on the Range by Jessica Nelson
ISBN: 9780373829149
Gracie has arrived by wagon and will stay with Uncle Lou. He has a ranch in Oregon and his housekeeper is Mary. Trevor who picked her up at the station is also watching Maryto be sure none kidnap her or do worse.
Gracie has escaped the disease in the East and hopes to meet the notorious Mr. Striker as she's written some articles for publication.
She can't believe they don't really pray at meals or go to church so she will tag along with Mary wh
Ausjenny
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Thanks to Netgalley for my review copy.
this is an interesting book set in 1918, in the last year of WW1 and when the Spanish influenza was rife throughout the world. Gracelyn is sent to Oregon from Boston to her uncles to keep her away from the influenza, by her socialite parents. Oregon is along way from Boston and is like a different planet. The class system doesn't hold sway here. Trevor is working for her uncle in more ways than one. We find out hes more than just a rancher but also an gover
Melanie
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3IZPY9N...
Review to be posted on my blog 9/29: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Love on the Range is Jessica Nelson's debut novel and I found it to be a good read! I liked the characters (especially Trevor and Gracie) and I loved the little bit of history that was in Love on the Range.

I liked the mystery that was surrounding who Striker was - I had my guesses, but it wasn't until later in the book that I knew for SURE.

I will say, though, at
Camille Eide
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the characters in this short historical, set in eastern Oregon's rugged high desert in 1918. Gracie is an engaging heroine - lively and a little outspoken for a young woman of her day, but also endearing with her quick, tender heart. Consumed with finding the elusive government agent "Striker," Gracie faces challenges and truths about people that test what she's really made of. She finds herself growing away from sheltered, pampered socialite and into a young woman of grace and ...more
Carole
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I though the book was a bit tedious to read. I usually read a book in one to two days unless busy with things away from home, but this one took me four days to read and I kept getting bored with it. Wanted to smack someone upside the head to get it going at times. Sorry, just don't think it's one of the best that I've ever read. ...more
Sonali Rakesh
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1918 was an eventful year. With the world war ending and so many technological inventions taking place. The origin of FBI and the escape from the Spanish influenza. The time frame of this story is fantastic. Two people coming from different backgrounds meeting during such an eventful year was electrifying and charming at the same moment. A well researched and written book.
Kris
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book. There was mystery, suspense, humor and romance. All the makings of a good read!
Ursula Gorman
Review will be available at the blog, Romancing the Book. Follow the blog to see reviews you can't find on Goodreads. ...more
Rebecca
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

True to its genre of being about romance, but with religious undertones. Not filled with sex scenes.
Kim Justice
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book flowed great. The story line was one that from the first word to the end I couldn't put down until I finished it.

I loved where the place the book took me to. As I read it I could see exactly where it was going. The characters where believable and keep you wanting:

To see more of this review: https://breathoflifebookreviews.blogs...
Rie_dominique
Gracelyn Riley, cewek kelas atas dari Boston, diungsikan oleh orangtuanya ke perternakan pamannya di Oregon untuk menghindari penyakit influenza yang sedang merebak dikota mereka.

Hal ini disambut dengan senang oleh Grace karena berdasarkan berita yang didapatkannya, Striker, si agen pemerintah yang misterius terlihat di Burns, Oregon, daerah yang ditujukan.
Grace berniat untuk mewawancarai Stiker yang sangat sulit ditemui untuk memastikan kedudukannya sebagai reporter investigasi dan melepaskan d
Michele Minor
This book does show the conflict of a young woman in the early twentieth century who is torn between the older generation of her wealthy parents who think that a young woman of their social status should marry a man who is socially acceptable and not work outside the home, while Gracelyn doesn't want to enter into a marriage where she is controlled by her husband and she wants to pursue a career instead. Her parents send her off to her Uncle Lou's ranch, which is close to where she has heard a s ...more
Emily Reynolds
Aug 05, 2017
Jessica Nelson
Sep 19, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tiffany
May 10, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jan 17, 2015 07:51AM
Love Inspired Books: Love on the Range Giveaway! 1 11 Apr 16, 2012 04:42AM

• A Hero in the Making (Brides of Simpson Creek, #7)
  • His Most Suitable Bride (Charity House, #8)
  • The Marshal's Ready-Made Family (Prairie Courtships, #2)
  • An Unlikely Union
  • Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles, #1)
  • The Marshal Meets His Match
  • The Widow (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School #5)
  • His Substitute Wife (Stand-In Brides #1)
  • Spring Meadow Sanctuary (The Shepherd's Heart, #4)
  • Wildflower Bride in Dry Creek
  • Even in the Darkness (The Lakeview Series, #3)
  • Kin Davis's Christmas Send-Off: A Wyldhaven Series Christmas Romance Novella
  • A Heart's Yearning: Hearts of Willow Creek (Romancing the West: Cowboys of Coulee Crossing #5)
  • A Heart's Delight: Hearts of Willow Creek (Romancing the West Book 7)
  • A Heart's Blessing: Hearts of Willow Creek (Romancing the West Book 6)
  • A Heart's Promise: Hearts of Willow Creek (Romancing the West Book 8)
  • Renewed Love (Love on the Western Trail Book 1)
  • Never Envy an Earl (Fortune's Brides #3)
My heart is filled with romantic stories, my shelves are loaded with chocolate and my lips are always longing for one more cup of Starbucks. Besides that, I write for Love Inspired Historical and am a happy mom to a bunch of little boys. I love connecting with readers and writers.

News & Interviews