Start by marking “Shadow Star 1 - Starflight” as Want to Read:
Shadow Star 1 - Starflight

Shadow Star 1 - Starflight (Narutaru / Shadow Star #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
While on vacation on a small island, young Shiina Tamai dives under the water near an old shrine and discovers an unearthly starfish-like creature. She nearly drowns but is rescued by the silent, wide-eyed little animal, who Shiina befriends and names Hoshimaru. To Shiina's surprise and delight, the creature changes shape, lets Shiina stand on him, and the two fly off into ...more
Published September 18th 2001 by Dark Horse Manga (first published August 21st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Star 1 - Starflight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Star 1 - Starflight

Suzie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
I'm oversimpifying, but Shadow Star is what would happen to Pokemon if it were in the horror genre... Junior high aged kids have these creatures with special powers. Sadly, not all kids are nice or well adjusted. Some of them are pretty terrible people.

I like the manga (and the anime series) a lot, but it's pretty brutal content-wise. A lot of stuff ends up happening out of panel or off screen. Not so much in this volume. But later on? Watch out.
Tanabrus
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, narutaru
Tempo di rilettura per questo bellissimo manga di Kitoh.

Conosciamo Shiina, la protagonista, che pare la quintessenza dell'ottimismo, della vitalità, della forza.
E Hoshimaru, il suo "cucciolo di drago"... ma quella che potrebbe prendere una direzione tipicamente da storia manga fantasy vira subito verso tinte più fosche.
Una principessa dall'aria aliena, due misteriosi ragazzi che sanno di draghi e ossa che spariscono nel nulla dopo un combattimento, un'altra ragazza con un cucciolo come Hoshimaru
Chai T
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my friends
Recommended to Chai T by: isabelb
Shelves: fantasies
this is a really GREAT BOOK!
David Balfour
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review is for the entire 12-volume series.

Although it's notorious for becoming quite graphic in later series, it's very slow-paced and is not exploitative in any sense. If you want gore and sex, there are countless guro, horror and hentai manga that will provide much more than Shadow Star. Nothing really shocking happens until about the 7th volume which is censored anyway in the Dark Horse release.

Anyway, this series is completely unique. A real puzzle. It never, ever went where I expected
Emmy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Read this as a kid, and thought it might be fun to go back and check it out, since I remembered very little of the story or plot. Let's just say it was not as fun as I was hoping it would be. This is a very strange story, surprisingly dark, and uncomfortable. Our main character, Shiina, seems completely out of place here--she's too chipper, too sweet for what promises to be a very dark tale, and I'm not sure I want to be there when her spirit is broken.

Not an awful book, per se, but not my cup o
Benjamin
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This review I write is for Narutaru as a whole, not only the first volume.

It is an interesting manga with interesting characters, but suffer from a certain lack of pacing/focus. The influence of Anno and Evangelion is clearly felt, but I don't think this deconstructionist approach, which sometimes disregards linearity and structure, was wholly beneficial to the story. The ending felt rushed and I wish he had explored things more.

But in general, it was a good reading, not amazing, good.
Vicki
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
I enjoyed reading vols. 1-4 of this sort of adult-subversion-of-Pokemon story (also known as Nartaru). Its a shame only volumes 1-7 were ever translated and released in English, as I'm never going to be able to complete the series and get deeper into it.

I highly recommend Bokurano by the same author though - fantastic series and ~fingers crossed~ it looks like its all going to be released.
★ Molly ☆
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really truly loved, and enjoyed this volume much more than the anime version!! Even though the Anime wasn't finished... I love Hoshimaru, Shiina, and Akira the best. I've never finished this series before but I have a feeling it'll exceeded my expectations!
Magali
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh!!! J'ai adoré! Mais pourquoi avoir arrêté la parution en France?! ;_;
isabelb
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: some people love anime
Shelves: anime-manga
this book is kinda confusing
but i think people should read this book
even i don't really get it but i still like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nayla
Sep 22, 2016
Madison Hamilton
Sep 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Narutaru / Shadow Star (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Shadow Star 2 - Darkness Visible
  • Shadow Star 3 - Shadows of the Past
  • Shadow Star 4 - Nothing But The Truth
  • Shadow Star 5 - A Flower's Fragrance
  • Shadow Star 6: What Can I Do For You Now? (Shadow Star)
  • Shadow Star 7 - Victim's Eyes, Assailant's Hands