Start by marking “Guarded (Guarded Heart, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Guarded (Guarded Heart, #0.5)

Guarded

(Guarded 0.5)

Vanessa Smith has her heart guarded. She’s been married to a man that sleeps around and has made her think she’s ugly and undeserving. Everything changes when she is knocked down by the famous basketball player, Jackson Berrios. A friendship ensues and everything she thought she knew about men turns out to be wrong.

Jackson Berrios was out for a run in a new city when he ma
Published September 15th 2013 by J.D. Rivera

To ask other readers questions about Guarded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guarded

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Guarded is one of those books that will have you wanting more at the end. I read it in two hours while I was at work and lord help me because I wanted more of Jackson and Vanessa AKA Vee. This story was so cute and so real for some girls that every girl who has had a broken heart should read this because there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can have a happily ever after you just have to put your guard down.

Vee is married to the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned. I dated a guy li
Jodie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Guarded is a short and sweet Novella about a couple that literally run into love. I will warn that running is what this book does for a Novella. JD really puts a lot into this story and at times you are left saying OH MY that was quick but in all this was the perfect afternoon story that left me feeling all the right emotions.

“It was wrong to pre-judge someone, but it was better to guard my heart than to get hurt again. Guard my heart?”

Vanessa, Vanessa she is the definition of the title of thi
Nicole
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Doing this for Indie Brits:

Vanessa is on the verge of getting a divorce from her cheating & verbally abusive husband Shane. For four years she was made to believe by her husband that she was worthless and not beautiful or sexy, just plain. Vanessa had been separated from Shane for 9 months when she was knocked down by Jackson. Literally, she was running and he wasn't paying attention and ended up running into her knocking her on her face. From the moment they locked eyes you could just tell
Shay
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just finished Guarded and I must say Wow! For such a short story this packed a powerful punch for me. I loved both point of views. It's always good to see both sides and see where they are coming from.

Vanessa is in the middle of a divorce from cheating a-hole Shane after four years of hell. Grant it he never physically beat her but still was mentally abusive, saying she is worth nothing, a worthless wife, nobody would want her, to say the least.

Jackson is a professional basketball player tha
Monique Machuca-Austin
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guarded is the perfect title for J.D. Rivera’s new romance novella, because it depicts how sometimes we find ourselves shielding our HEART from harm to protect the only true source were we store our deepest feelings of LOVE. Though never under estimated the heart, because the heart can give STRENGTH behind the walls we build to find our COURAGE as did Vanessa Smith discovered.

Vanessa has been married the past four years of her life to Shane and is in the process of a difficult divorce, because S
Tbird London
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story of learning to trust again after your heart has been broken. Vanessa's ex husband had really done major damage to this school teachers heart and ego. Telling her for years she was boring and didn't deserve to be loved, that she should expect to be cheated on because she was a horrible wife, she finally had accepted his words as truth.

While waiting for her divorce to be finalized she is run over, I really mean run over, while out jogging by the super star basketball player
Chelly Peeler
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Vanessa Smith has had bad luck with men. Thankfully her 4-year-marriage to Shane, the verbally abusive a-hole cheater, is almost over…well, it’s been over for quite some time, but at least now the divorce is almost finalized. She decides she doesn’t need a man in her life, besides, who would want her? She looks plain, she’s boring, and she’s a worthless wife, at least that’s what she’s been told for the last 4 years.

Jackson Berrios is new in town, he is the new star player for the Oklahoma City
Amanda
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. although, with the title, I thought that well, either the main character, Vanessa, would be, to be honest, more guarded after what she went through. Or that something dangerous was going to happen for to need to be guarded, I'm not sure. That being said, I did enjoy the book.

Poor Vanessa was told she was worthless for the past 4 years, and constantly cheated on by her shitty ex-husband. She is finally free of him when the divorce is finalized. In the mean time, she has met Jacks
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
***I was given an ARC of this book by the author for an honest review!***

Vanessa Smith has had a rough four years of marriage. Her soon to be ex-husband is scum and she can't wait to get it over with. He's done nothing but cheat on her and she's ready to make her divorce official! She doesn't think she can ever trust another man after what he's put her through. But one day as she's running by the lake she gets knocked down. And by the most gorgeous hunk of man on the face of the planet, Jackson
Victoria Rainey
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romancebookworm
Vanessa Smith is a fifth grade school teacher. Her marriage has been rough but its soon to be behind her because of her impending divorce. Vanessa has a lot of issues especially with trust and who can blame her? Her ex-husband cheated on her all the time. So when she meets Jackson Berrios she lumps him in the same category as her ex-husband. Vanessa comes across as someone who self-esteem has been battered.

Jackson Berrios is a famous basketball player who is new to town. He literally ran her off
Cindy
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Guarded was a sweet yet sexy as sin read. I loved the story of Vanessa and Jackson. I finished this book in about an hour. The story starts out with Vanessa going through a nasty divorce. Her soon to be ex is an ASSHOLE that belittled and degraded her every chance he got. He just verbally abused her their whole marriage. He also cheated on her. Because of this her self esteem is really low. She believes the things her husband told her were true. That she was ugly and no man could love or want h ...more
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
So the saying goes, you can’t judge a book by its cover. This is totally true with this book and series. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like something that was going to be about high school students and something that was like a teenager story. The title looked like something related to high school, something Varsity. That is not what I got, thank goodness! We’ll say something like “High School Musical with a Twist” type of look. I really liked this novella and gave it 4 stars.

Vanessa
Jannat Bhat
Vanessa has been miserable and sad these past four years of her marriage. Having been married to a jerk who does nothing but criticize her her life is kind of lifeless. Until "He" comes into it. After Vanessa & Jackson collide .... literally..none of them know that they just found someone who they didn't knew they needed.Its after she meets Jackson that things start looking up for her.

Guarded being novella length I can't say much without giving away the story. But I will say that the chemist
Kim
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
okay I have to say that I had a lot of mix feeling and motions about this book. I find the book started at a fast past. Then once you got in to the book started to slow down. I think that is when V meets Jackson. Those two where started to see each other as she is close to her divorce to her husband Shane who had cheated on her. I think this is what made her not trust anyone who was a male. But anyway she rushed in to it at the being to get her self hurt. Well that was her fault for running out ...more
A. Gorman
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED Guarded. The connection between Vanessa and Jackson is just amazing! Even though Jackson is famous and rich, he doesn't flaunt it around. He is just a normal guy and wants to be treated that way.

Vanessa is going through a nasty divorce with her soon to be ex, Shane. He is mentally and verbally abusive. He has told Vanessa he is a horrible wife, she is ugly and no good for so long she believes it. So when Jackson literally runs into to her and knocks her off her feet, she think
Casey Peeler
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guarded is a story of keeping your wall up, but what happens when the perfect man comes along?

This novella was fabulous! I wanted a light hearted fun read, but this was that and more! I laughed, smiled like a giddy school girl, started thinking she better not, Shane better not ruin her fairy tale, then I thought oh wait... Jackson you better not ruin it either! In this story, I didn't even get mad a the female character which typically happens because y'all know girls make assumptions... At lea
Rumpled Sheets Blog
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Vanessas husband cheated on her. Made her feel worthless. Now shes waiting on her divorce to be finalized.

One day she met Jackson, a famous basketball star who has just moved to New York.

They were instantly drown to each other. They got under each others skin fast.

But Vanessa is insecure. Shes guarding her heart on being hurt again.

Jackson proves her that she can trust him. That she can give him her heart.

Sweet, easy read that youll read in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed reading the book.

≧◔◡◔≦ 4.
Reading in Black & White
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guarded is a story I think that quite a few women can relate to. Vanessa has been cheated on by her husband and made to feel as if she is worthless and unattractive so when a man shows interest in her, of course she doubts his intentions. Rivera writes a beautiful love story and the only reason I am not rating Guarded a 5 is because I wanted this to be more than a novella!!!

RATING: 4.5

DISCLAIMER: I received a complimentary copy of Guarded in exchange for an honest review.
Elizabeth (Perusing Princesses)
This was a very cute, short and fun read. It does pack a lot into a novella. Keeping that in mind, it does go from 0-60 mph in a couple of pages... But it does include some real life experiences and lessons to be learned... Not everything that has spots is automatically a leopard... So Vanessa learned this thankfully rather quickly and was able to fall in live with Jackson... Really sweet..
Sara
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Guarded. It's a novella, and a short, sweet story.

I could tell J.D Rivera's story telling seemed to be improved from her debut novel. This story had a little bit more depth to each of the characters, and seemed to flow more smoothly in terms of structure.

It's a great story for a quick, fun read.
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
I really enjoyed this quick read.

A really sweet story about beautiful young woman who has been cheated on by her worthless husband who also told her how ugly she was.

She meets Jackson who is sweet and hot and he wants her.

A perfect read in one sitting book.
Cyndi Hackett
This was a cute love story. I thought it was so cute how Jackson met Vanessa. He did some really special things for her and to prove how much he cared about her. I was so happy when the ex-husband got a chance to see who she upgraded too. I found myself screaming for more. Anyway great quick read.
Isabel
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, cute, fun, loved it
Vanessa
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice short read. Hope that the next one continues the story and I hope we get one about Ray and Amanda!
Tanya Vought
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this short novella and want more of the characters!! ;)

You will see my review tomorrow on my blog! :)
Denise
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
really good!
Krissy
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really great, quick novella, that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Our leading lady Vanessa is in the process of a difficult divorce from her husband Shane. They have been married for 4 years and he has done nothing but cheat on her and put her down their entire marriage. Vanessa has put up a lot of walls and guarded her heart... That is until she is out running one day and literally crashes head over heels and falling on her face with Jackson Berrios.

Jackson is a famous basketball player who has
The Nauti Vixen
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: Guarded

Series: Guarded Heart Book .5 (novella)

Author: J.D Rivera

Rating: A

Review: Guarded is a very cute, sweet, feel-good romance that I enjoyed very much. I would have enjoyed it even more had it been a longer length book rather than a novella. Usually I don't enjoy them because I feel the length doesn't usually give you enough time to get the full story behind the plot or the characters - and even less so when they are used as a prelude to a full length novel, with really dramatic cliff
Monica Cullip
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Guarded
J.D. Rivera
This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review.
Vanessa is trying to get on with her life. She is in the process of divorcing her husband Shane. He has been verbally abusive to her as well as cheating on her numerous times. She has had enough and is moving on.
Vanessa is out one day running when she literally bumps into a handsome stranger. There is some heat between these two and the sparks are flying. Jackson Berrion is a NBA lead scorer and Vanessa does not reco
Jennifer Noe (The Book Blog)
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Guarded is a novella that introduces us to Vanessa and Jackson. She is still healing from her ex’s harsh words and “extra-curricular activities.” Jackson is the newest player for the basketball team. He’s famous, gorgeous and has a reputation given to him by the tabloids.

While running one day, Jackson literally runs into Vanessa. It’s when she rolls over to let him know that she’s alright that she takes all thoughts out of his head. He’s really not ready for her to leave and he asks her to lunc
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Art of Letting Go (Uni Files #1)
  • Without You (Stripped, #1.5)
  • What Endures
  • A Missing Peace
  • First Position
  • Strangers (Strangers, #1)
  • Returned (Pendle Hill, #1)
  • Fighting For You (Redemption Series, #1)
  • Inside Heat (Mustangs Baseball, #1)
  • Left (Still Standing, #1)
  • Used (Getting Inside of V, #1)
  • Running From Forever (The Forever Series, #5)
  • Vacationista
  • Not Pretty Enough (Not Pretty Enough, #1)
  • Faster Harder (Take Me..., #1)
  • Holding On To Love (Holding On #1)
  • Release (The Boys of Winter, #2)
  • Saving Georgia