Start by marking “Forget Me Not” as Want to Read:
Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Young readers are given an emotionally powerful yet accessible introduction to what it is like having a close family member with Alzheimer’s disease in this deeply resonant story about the relationship between a girl and her grandmother.

Grandma’s whole family is concerned as they start to notice that she is becoming more and more forgetful. After they find her wandering t
Published August 5th 2014 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Forget Me Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forget Me Not

Tasha
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This look at the impact of Alzheimer’s is personal and touching. Told in the first person, the book looks at the changes of Julia’s grandmother. Her grandmother used to make favorite foods, have her house just so, and even smelled of cinnamon and lilac when they cuddled. But as time passed, her grandmother started forgetting more and more. She made mistakes and even started to forget who her family members were. A little later and Julia’s grandmother started to forget what they had done together ...more
Sara Grochowski
FORGET ME NOT is a touching story about a young girl, Julia, and her feelings about her grandma's onset of dementia. To start, Julia recalls when her grandma began mixing up names and forgetting small details. As her grandma's dementia worsens, the situations Julia relates intensify as well. Her grandma forgets where she is while at the supermarket, she is found outside in the snow in only her nightgown, digging for forget-me-nots, and, eventually, can no longer remember her family. When Julia's ...more
Ricki
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Forget Me Not is a quiet, compelling picture book that shows how Alzheimer's disease impacts an entire family. It shows a young girl's perspective as her grandmother slowly loses her memory. I found the story's depiction of the disease to be both heart-breaking and uplifting, as the young girl refuses to give up hope in her grandmother. This text will be a great resource for educators and parents.
Emily
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, thoughtful, sensitive book about a little girl's experience as her grandmother develops dementia and slowly loses her memories. Examples are very true to my experience with the progression of Alzheimer's.
Richie Partington
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: FORGET ME NOT by Nancy Van Laan and Stephanie Graegin, ill, Random House/Schwartz and Wade, August 2014, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-449-81543-4

“Ever so slowly, like a low tide leaving the bay, a change came along. Grandma was becoming more and more forgetful.”

Julia, the narrator of FORGET ME NOT, has a young lifetime of memories of her grandmother--those times before her grandmother began forgetting everyone’s names, forgetting to open the garage door when backing out the car, leaving her
Manuela Pena
Summary
Julia loves spending time with her grandmother. She notices that her grandmother is starting to forget things, which Julia doesn’t take too seriously, but then it starts getting worse and worse. One day, they find her wandering the neighborhood. Grandmother’s Alzheimer’s has gotten pretty serious. Julia’s parents need to make the decision of moving Julia’s grandmother out of the house and into an assisted living where she would have the best care possible.
Activity
An activity that relat
Hayley DeRoche
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
This is a gut-kicker about Alzheimer’s disease through the eyes of a young girl and her relationship with her slowly-ailing grandmother. Pardon me while I SOB UNCONTROLLABLY. Oh my god. This book is sweet and gentle in its portrayal of a difficult topic, but holy god almighty it does not look away from the hard stuff: grandma kneeling out in the snow, confused, for example. For the love of all things good, only read this if your child is dealing with this trauma, because otherwise it might cause ...more
Erin
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An emotionally powerful yet easy introduction to what it is like having a close family member with Alzheimer’s disease. The story details the relationship between a girl and her grandmother who has Alzheimer's disease. A great resource for children dealing with this topic. I wish I would of had this book when I watched my own grandmother progress with this disease.

The author elegant use of words and the illustrators use of a gray undertones makes this book one of my favorites I have read this y
babyhippoface
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alzheimer's is a devastating disease. It deeply affects not only the one physical victim but everyone who loves him or her, delivering a powerful sense of loss. This picture book beautifully depicts the feelings of a young girl who is watching her grandmother lose herself and her grip on reality as the disease takes hold. Very well-written, with lovely illustrations, this belongs in elementary libraries and in the hands of any child who has a grandparent or close family friend affected by this d ...more
Rachel
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Julia tells the story of visiting her beloved grandmother and witnessing her slow decline due to dementia. The detailed and delicate illustrations add depth and heart to the story, with the light and changing seasons reflecting Julia’s feelings about Grandma’s failing memory. Ultimately, though Julia knows Grandma isn't going to get better, the book ends on a hopeful note with Julia picking the first forget-me-nots of spring for her grandmother.
Calihan Scott
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Forget Me Not touches the heart. It is a book about a little girl that is close to her grandma but when her grandma is diagnose with Alzheimer's disease her parents have to explain what is happening to grandma. This is a great book for any ages to help explain the effects of Alzheimer's disease. The illustration are filled with warm colors, soft edges and do a great job showing what is being said on the page. There are cute similes throughout this book.
Lynne
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't say that I "enjoyed" this picture book. It is a sad, touching story about a grandmother facing dementia and her granddaughter trying to understand. I think it would be a nice book to help children understand what is happening to their grandparent, but it isn't one of those that you'll read over and over for enjoyment. I love the little girl's memories of her grandmother and feel her sense of helplessness.
Angie
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
this is the story of a young girl whose grandma starts forgetting things. Obviously she has dementia or Alzheimer's but it is never specifically stated. Grandma slips more and more until they are forced to put her in a home. It is a touching story about the love between a grandma and granddaughter and one that will touch the hearts of many. I am sure there are lots of kids out there who have a grandparent who is suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's and this story will speak to them.
Erin
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A touching and personal take on the effects of Alzheimer's on family members. Told in first person, the book follows the changes of Julia's grandmother. From making favorite foods to forgetting where she is. All the while still displaying Julia's unconditional love for her grandmother, even when she doesn't remember her.
Romelle
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Forget Me Not is a wonderful picture book that shows children what it is like living with a family member with Alzheimer. It would be nice if the book went over how to cope, but still I think this is a good book. It is a story that needs to be told. It is a subject not often seen in picture books. This gentle book by Nancy Van Laan is told in first person, from the child's perspective..
Lorna
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet and touching picture book about a young girl watching her grandmother's decline with dementia. While I was older when it began to happen with my own grandmother, I found myself nodding at the familiarity of some of the scenes in the book. I like that the story ends with the girl hoping to find ways to prompt some good memories.
Daphne
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lord have mercy, make sure you read this one somewhere private so you can cry. It's a story from the point of view of Julia about her grandmother's progression into dementia/alzheimer's (the story doesn't specify which). The story is both gentle and realistic, and the ending will make your throat tighten and your eyes wet.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A poignant story about a granddaughter watching her grandmother's memory gradually deteriorate to the point that she can longer remember her or care for herself. A perceptive and touching story about unconditional love.
Juliana Lee
When grandma begins to forget things she does some silly things which become more and more serious until she has to move to a new home. Her granddaughter knows grandma will want to see the forget-me-nots from her garden and promises to cover her bed with then next spring.
Mary
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simple picture book that chronicles a young girl's reflection about her grandmother's loss of memory. This sympathetic story about a family dealing with Alzheimer's disease is an ideal introduction for young readers to a sad reality.
Sandra
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought Grandpa Green was good for talking to children about Alzheimer's and Dementia, but this one is much better.
Kelly Carey
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that delicately, with honesty and love, gives a voice to the fear a child must feel when a grandparent is suffering with dementia. A gentle story that doesn't hide from reality, but instead helps guide the reader through the obstacles of memory loss.
Mary
This is a great book for young children whose grandparents are experiencing dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease. It doesn't sugarcoat the idea very much, and captures the feelings of confusion and hurt that come from having these things happen to a family.
Read  Ribbet
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cross generational story of a young girl wondering about her grandmother's continuing memory loss. Told in a soft, gentle manner, the book may be a helpful story for some families.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect book for children to understand a grandparent with Alzheimer's or dementia a little better. It hit close to home for our family and the book was so sweet it made me cry.
Peacegal
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Quiet, sensitive story about a grandmother with Alzheimer's.
Jason
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Heart-wrenching and honest, without a neatly tied-up ending.
Emily
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: difficult-topics
A beautiful picture book about the effects of Alzheimer's on a family's lives.
Musiclib
Oct 26, 2014 added it
Shelves: storytime
Easy book to introduce kids to dementia and Alzheimer's disease
Pam  Page
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book to help children understand Alzheimers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nancy Van Laan was born in Baton Rouge, La. Her father was a colonel in the US Air Force, and the family moved frequently as Van Laan was growing up. She began making up stories to pass the time on long car trips. Although Van Laan had a learning disability, she loved to read. She began drawing and writing poetry as a child and enjoyed illustrating her own stories. Van Laan also loved ballet and b ...more
More about Nancy Van Laan...