Start by marking “And Two Boys Booed” as Want to Read:
And Two Boys Booed

And Two Boys Booed

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  293 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
On the day of the talent show, a boy is ready to sing his song, and he isn't one bit scared because he has practiced a billion times, plus he's wearing his lucky blue boots and his pants with all ten pockets. But as all of the other kids perform before him, he gets more and more nervous. How the boy overcomes his fear of performing in front of the class makes a charming an ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about And Two Boys Booed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Two Boys Booed

Lizzie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I generally like books where the narrator's vocal inflection adds to the understanding of the plot. But the tiny flaps scare me as a public librarian.
Nancy Kotkin
A realistic cumulative story about the perils and rewards of public speaking. The repetition accurately mimics the voice of an anxious child, and increases the fun of the story. While the flaps add interactivity, they are not very sturdy and probably won't last long.
Margie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-a-day
Each person truly has a remarkable, unique story to share. Talent show jitters can be particularly troublesome especially when you know deep down inside, you are good. Author Judith Viorst and illustrator Sophie Blackall have given readers an encouraging, amusing and oh-so-true look in And Two Boys Booed (Margaret Ferguson Books, Farrar Straus Giroux) at experiencing and overcoming stage fright.

My full recommendation:http://bit.ly/1qyYyDf
Shelley
Many reviewers praised the interactive flaps. As a children's librarian all I could think about was "Oh no, flaps. Not even sturdy flaps. This book won't last long!"
Juliana Lee
The boy is not afraid at all because he has practiced singing his song a billion times. But as the other kids start preforming one by one, he becomes more and more scared. Then two boys boo. (but everyone else is clapping)
Tasha
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
From the author of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day comes a new book all about overcoming stage fright. A boy is performing in a talent show and knows that he is ready to sing his song because he’s been practicing and practicing it. Plus, he also has on his lucky blue books and his pants with lots of pockets. He is very confident until the other five children start performing their acts. Then his mood changes, even though he still says that is he fine. The story uses r ...more
Sara Grochowski
The morning of the talent show, one little boy isn't nervous at all... until it gets closer and closer to his turn. Suddenly, his words come out all wrong and, worst of all, two boys boo. In the end, he perseveres, sings his song, and finishes to a round of applause. Not only does this read aloud offer an accessible lesson about overcoming fears, it features building repetition and interactive lift-the-flap elements throughout that will keep listeners engaged.
Michele Knott
Overall, I thought this story was ok. It kept bothering me that kids were booing and there weren't consequences. Although, really, that's not what this book was about. It's about being brave, it's about rising above not only your nerves but against criticism.
I liked the interactive flaps. Some served a purpose that added more to the story.
Mary
A young boy is nervous about being last in the talent show and then when he gets up and sits down two boys boo. Viorst and Blackall's picture book collaboration captures the emotional tension of the mild stage fright and the happy pride in the final applause. I wish there had been some consequences for the rude audience behavior, but the cumulative repetitive text and flaps add to the gentle fun.
Amy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book about performance anxiety! A boy has practiced his song a billion times, but when he has to sing in a talent show, he freezes up and can't sing. A lift the flap book that is fun and deals with a real-life situation that all kids face.
Sharon Lawler
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and novel "flip the flap" book about overcoming stage fright.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A relatable story about a young boy's performance anxiety. Good illustrations with interactive flaps by Sophie Blackall but the text gets a bit tedious.
Russel Moreno
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sophie-blackall
This book is about a boy who is excited to perform his poem at a show and tell. He has practiced it many times. He has confidence because he has his favorite blue books and his pants with all the cool pockets. He waits patiently for his turn to present. He is the last one to go up but as each kid goes on he gets more nervous. When it is finally his turn he stands up but sits back down. Two kids boo. He questions if he should perform anymore, but gets courage to do it any ways and performs his po ...more
Viviane Elbee
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a funny book about overcoming stage fright.

Pros: Great illustrations that have a lot of humor.

The text is also fun - especially the second half of the book where the young boy gets so scared he starts saying things like "song my sing" and "dance my hands" etc... My children really enjoyed it.

Cons:
The flaps are fragile - meaning this book isn't the best match for younger children who may rip the flaps. It's intended for older children who are careful with their books.

Also, in the begin
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a sweet story that addresses the fear that many children (and adults) face. Fear of public speaking - or in this case, performing in a talent show.
A little boy practices his song MANY times, and is not one bit scared. As each child before him performs their talent, the illustrations show his nervousness growing while the words say something different. The author has written this as a cumulative story, and it is beautifully done with humour as the little guy gets more and more nervous.
A g
Donna Mork
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Repetitive and interactive, with flip-up scenes within the page. Boy is going to perform at the talent show. He panics and performs but not exactly what he thought he would.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Greg
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
“And Two Boys Booed” by Judith Viorst is a whimsical story about a very real emotion. Specifically it’s about stage fright, but more generally about self-confidence, or the lack thereof. It is the morning of the class talent show and our protagonist “isn’t one bit scared because I had practiced a billion times,” as he repeatedly tells us. (The book is written in the first person, and we never do learn the boy’s name.) In fact, the illustrator, Sophie Blackall, shows him practicing throughout the ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I love Judith Viorst, the author of Alexander and the...No Good Very Bad Day. She has a unique way of seeing things from the child's perspective. With that said, this book has A LOT going on inside. I will try to untangle it all and tell you why I like it.

The story is about a little boy who will be singing in a talent show at school. He practices a billion times and is not at all nervous until the other kids start showing their amazing talents. He begins to shrink down in his chair
Jill
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A young boy wakes up on the morning of the talent show ready to sing his song. He has practiced “a billion times” and is wearing all his lucky clothes. There are five other kids in the show, all in front of him. As he waits, however, he gets increasingly nervous, even forgetting what it was he was planning to do. But finally, he comes through in the clutch and sings his song. Two boys boo, but all the other kids were clapping.

Discussion: Three aspects of this book in particular will appeal to it
Mary
Genres- Realistic, Coming of Age
Literary Merit- Good
Characterization- Good
Recommended
Summary-A boy is nervous about presenting his song in front of his class. He starts to sing but make
Crystalee
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
And Two Boys Booed is a very cute picture book for young readers. I love the interactive flaps that reveal fun surprises to the already engaging illustrations. The repetition and subtle rhymes make this one kids will want to read again and again, maybe even memorize! I also love how the boy's words get mixed up when he is nervous; the result is a hilarious paragraph that both boys and girls will love.

I think anyone can relate to this story of a little boy with a severe case of nerves when he ha
Jana
I really enjoyed this story of a little boy who's all set to perform in a talent show at school. This cumulative tale tells us that he's practiced a billion times and he's wearing his lucky blue boots and pants with cool pockets. But as his turn gets closer and closer, he's getting more and more nervous. Anyone who's ever performed in front of classmates will be able to relate to this young man's apprehension.

Sophie Blackall's illustrations are awesome. They really hit the mark on how this type
Kat B
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Have you ever been convicted that you could do something without fear? Whether you've practiced a billion times or not? Then, when it's your turn to do the act you have no fear of, you're suddenly overcome with a sense of nervousness. This is exactly the thing that happens to our main character.

The main character, a boy, wakes up on the morning of the talent show with no anxiety. He had practiced his song a BILLION times. He wore his lucky boots and cool pocket pants. He's nervous to the point w
Dawn
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Our class has enjoyed a number of Judith Viorst books lately: Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday, and Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. There are a few more in our TBR pile too! We especially loved the flaps in this book.

I thought this one was perfect because we are just about to embark on a couple days of performances for the talent show in music class (even I am going to perform!)

We liked how the boy who is about to perform showed that he was more and more nervous by h
Barbara
Because he's practiced so many times, a young boy is ready to sing for the school talent show. Plus, he's wearing all his lucky clothing. But as time nears for him to perform, he grows increasingly nervous, and tangles up his words. When he's frozen in place and two boys boo, he somehow manages to get up and sing that song. Although the text is deliberately repetitive, which may put off some readers, it captures the boy's emotions perfectly. Readers will like how things turn out as well as the v ...more
Jen
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was quite sweet. Yes, the flaps won't last long in public library circulation, but that doesn't ruin the book completely! It's a useful story about getting nervous as you wait to go up in front of people and do something, even after practicing a lot in preparation.

This would be a great lapread and I like the poetic writing a lot. The prose follows an easy to learn, building pattern but gets all jumbled up when our protagonist finally reaches his turn. A great translation of r
Barbara
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Getting up to speak or perform in front of a crowd is never easy and the little boy in Judity Viorst's new book "And Two Boys Booed" is a perfect example of how one feels in that circumstance. Being last to perform is even worse! But the little boy in this book finds his inner courage in spite of the booing. What a great book to share at school or home when a performance is looming! Wonderful illustrations and lift-the-flap pages by Sophie Blackall make this book a great addition to any library.
Heather
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story about a boy who tries to be brave before the class talent show. He’s last to go, and as his turn nears, he keeps telling himself he’s not nervous. But when his turn comes, it’s clear that he is. And he finds a way to overcome his fears to do his best in the talent show.

It’s a sweet story that covers a subject many young kids — and older kids. And adults — can relate to. The illustrations are lovely, and the lift-the-flaps portions are what make this book a favorite for
Robin
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mixed feelings on this story. Did not like the cumulative portion, which repeats what each child did before the narrator performed. Too long. Enjoyed the representation of his nervousness with the lift-the-flap illustrations. Very effective. Didn't really like the lack of consequences for the boys that booed. Most teachers would have encouraged them to be more polite. Or they might have changed their reactions and clapped in the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • The Troublemaker
  • Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
  • Sebastian and the Balloon
  • Frances Dean Who Loved to Dance and Dance
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • Sequoia
  • When I Was Eight
  • Mother Bruce
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • President Taft Is Stuck in the Bath
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst