Start by marking “Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  19,041 ratings  ·  1,408 reviews
Since Don’t Make Me Think was first published in 2000, over 400,000 Web designers and developers have relied on Steve Krug’s guide to help them understand the principles of intuitive navigation and information design.

In this 3rd edition, Steve returns with fresh perspective to reexamine the principles that made Don’t Make Me Think a classic-–with updated examples and a new
Published January 3rd 2014 by New Riders Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Think, Revisited, please sign up.
Thomson Muriyadan It's mostly focused on web and by extension mobile applications (digital interfaces). It also covers the importance and basics of usability testing.

…more

Can't be compared to Design of Everyday things which is a general design related book.(less)

·  19,041 ratings  ·  1,408 reviews

Kian
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is an absolute gem of a book. I picked this up the day after finishing Beautiful Code and to be honest, really wasn't in the mood for any more particularly heavy content for a few days.

But Steve Krug makes the topic of web usability genuinely entertaing. He holds a light writing style with a touch of wit that helps to keep your attention from cover to cover. Add to that the short size of the book at only a couple of hundred pages, and the vibrant but clear layout and you've got a book
Leonard Gaya
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this handbook on Web usability for work related reasons. It was originally published in the early 2000’s, shortly after Jakob Nielsen’s Designing Web Usability. Both Krug and Nielsen have since become (along with Steve Jobs and Jony Ives, at Apple) the head honchos of Web Design.

This short and highly readable book covers topics such as: how people really use websites (they don’t actually read, they like to scan and browse mindlessly… but we already knew that, didn’t we?), how to design na
KeyÇîya Çalî
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book
Every programmer needs to read it.
It makes me think deeply about usability and accessibility.
For example after I read a chapter on accessibility, I decided to design a website which could be helpful for blind people. It's main purpose is to help us have a better life. Because we use software more than anything else now. You are reading my review on a website or on an application. Steve Krug's style makes me have a smile on my face while reading and understand it very well.
Sean Besser
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with any say over the look & feel of a commercial web page
MUST READ for anyone with any say over the look & feel of a commercial web page (designers, managers, marketing people, executives, etc.). It's a quick and easy read and is like having my own web usability consultant.

Goodreads and LOTS of other sites should have their managment teams read this.
Katelyn Jenkins
Quick, thorough, and to the point, as it suggests. Even inspired me to write a review, on the web. I don't even NEED to think twice to say this was a VERY GOOD * e^3 read!!

It really is a book that can stand the test of time, though all three iterations, it keeps the tone and message: "good web design starts with instinct of the user."

Krug's book focuses on web usability, fundamentals of good design, and user experience testing. Every web designer should get their hands on this as it is a referen
Graham Herrli
I was predisposed in favor of this book because it's the most-voted-for on the UX Stack Exchange. It wasn't all I'd hoped it would be. If this were the first text about usability I'd read, I might have gotten more out of it. As it was, the overwhelming majority of the topics presented seemed patently obvious to me.

One thing this book has going for it is its brevity. Before agreeing to publish a second edition, Krug insisted upon first discovering what could be removed from the first edition so t
Muthazhagu Palanisamy
This book is what it states - a common sense approach to web usability.

The book lays bare the facts, that -
1. Users do not read the text in a web page.
2. Users muddle through a web page, no matter how well thought out the layout, and menus are.
And as a designer, your task is to take these two facts into account when designing your website.

The author, Steve Krug, is very perceptive. While this is evident throughout the book, what did it for me was the footnote about the Site ID being on the top
Chad Warner
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: web designers
An excellent introduction to creating usable websites. As the title states, every website’s design and functionality should be so simple that people barely need to think to use it. The book’s 2nd edition is from 2005, so some examples are dated, but the concepts are quite relevant. This was a fun read due to its straightforward style and Krug’s humor.

When I started looking for web design books, Steve Krug’s classic on web usability frequently appeared at the top of most lists, along with Designi
Sandro
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked:

- The simple language used to explain normally complex matter;

- The good humour, examples and metaphors the writer uses to explain things. They really work.

Now the bad parts:

- I find the information in the book to be a little too simplistic and common sense. Even for people with only interest on the area of web usability they may find that they already know, or at least thought in a very similar way when they browse daily;

- I understand that this isn't a scientific book and the aut
Louise
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was a short, quick and easy read that can easily be finished on a plane ride. It's in full color with a couple of helpful diagrams, but I mostly found the comics in it annoying and patronizing. A lot of what Krug brings up in the first half seems like common sense, but he does delve deeper into some points, which may be helpful for some.

The most valuable information I found in Don't Make Me Think was the little quizzes in the middle of the book where readers are presented with sample we
Melissa
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I’ve been busy traveling for work and not getting the chance to read as much for fun, but managed to read the update to this timeless reference book for basic website (and now mobile) usability. It’s very basic (and even calls itself out as such), but I think it’s a great introduction to the areas of web and mobile usability and is something anyone who is a fan of well-designed products would enjoy!
Doc
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Doc by: Scott Bellware
Shelves: technology
Ironic that this book makes the reader think - think about design and views on life, all at once. An excellent book for stimulating the brain to think and view the world in new ways.
Tony
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Books about design need to pass one critical test. They must be well-designed, and this book is. Among the bits of knowledge Krug sprinkles, good web design is like the layout in a big box store, you should be able to look up and find signs that point you in the right direction. There is one crucial different between a brick and mortar store and its online counterpart: if you can’t navigate your way to what you want in a store, you can always ask someone. On the web that’s not possible, so web s ...more
Karen Chung
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Krug shows you how to make things easy for visitors to your site by making sure everything on it is obvious at a glance and easy to find and get to. And he practices what he preaches - I picked this book in large part because of its clear, attractive, reader-friendly design. It's a quick read, but you may want to take your time on it a bit to make sure you fully register everything he says.

There are applications of what he says far beyond web design. I teach pronunciation, and know
Jaana Metsamaa
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe I hadn’t read this book before. I remember seeing the cover _everywhere_ for a long time but never looked into what it was. Anyhow. It’s about web usability and damn is it good.

It is well written, easy to understand and most things are not surprising at all, but the way they are packaged and presented leaves an impact.

Each paragraph has a short list of things that the reader could easily implement, leaving the feeling that improving is actually easy or at least starting is easy
Ani
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, practic, easy to read! Surely recommend developers and designers.
Book Calendar
Don't Make Me Think A Common Sense Approach To Web Usability, Second Edition, Steve Krug-- Review

Don't Make Me Think is a book about web usability. Usability is basically how easy it is too efficiently use a website. It tests how to make a website easier for the average visitor.

This book gives you insights into how to make a website easy to use. The first principle is to make your website as obvious as possible. For example, if the visitor is looking for employment information, it should use the
Mr. Banks
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design-and-ux
I’ve been working in software for my entire professional career. Except for the past year, I’ve been a backend software engineer for backend code in data platforms, web apps, and operations. Throughout my years as an engineer, I’ve neglected studying design. It’s always been the elusive facet of product development that Ive appreciated, but never come to understand.

I’ve dabbled in different design tools to create sample mockups for products I wished to build, but I always copied what looks good
Yevgeniy Brikman
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice overview of basic usability principles for building user interfaces. The call for do-it-yourself user testing is extremely important, though ignored or unknown to many companies. The sense of humor is great and the advice is fairly actionable and easy to follow.

The only downside (and hence a 4 star rating) is that the book could use more real world examples. Seeing many more screenshots of websites that do something well, side by side with those that do it poorly--or better yet, examples
Robin
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techie
I had a pact with some fellow web nerds at work to read a book on usability to improve our websites. I chose this one because, like a good website, it had short pages and a lot of white space. I was pleasantly surprised to actually enjoy the content as well as the writing style. It is concise, informative, practical, and humorous. Whereas Jakob Nielsen’s classic usability books are chock-full of statistics and details, this book is a new approach to usability, stripped down to what is practical ...more
Thomas
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: internet professionals, web users, psychology interest
Shelves: ux-dev
Usability hardly concerns strictly web use. This tidy introduction and exploration on the subject is a great background to many of the buzz words heard in the creative and development team departments. Also, makes many design decisions easy by providing research based and diplomatic responses to many territorial squabbles that arise when sites are designed/redesigned. It provides logical guided procedures for any stakeholder to understand the overall objectives of the website and make business d ...more
Pashmina
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book lays out some clear and obviously effective principles of usability that I would definitely look over before tackling interface design. Krug reminds us that ‘ease of use’ is easily the make or break deal for any website. “It’s a fact: People won’t use your web site if they can’t find their way around it.” Here we get proof again, that user experience is the key to any successful type of website.

While some of the stuff may be obvious, or maybe just be obvious to me, I found his style to
Andrew
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I needed a quick overview on usability testing. It succeeded on that front. I even had no issues skipping to the usability testing chapters, reading those first, and coming back to the rest of the book: each chapter is pretty self-contained.

Steve Krug's book is a classic for a reason. Great overview of a lot of topics, including pointers for where to dig more deeply into usability testing, accessibility considerations, etc. Very high-level, simple, clearly-written advi
Waylon Martinez
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning or Vet web UI designers
Shelves: programming
This was a great book for a starting point to website UI design. I have been designing websites and web bases applications for years and haven't ever stopped to think about usability, the 1st impression, and how to accomplish these effectively. Before reading this book I though I knew all there was to design, however this book has provided me with some additional needed insight.

This was a quick read, I expected this book to be very lengthy and provide design principles and examples. But what thi
Daniel R.
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A no nonsense approach on how to design web sites to be as effective as possible. The second edition adds information on treating users well and designing for accessibility while trimming the focus on how to conduct usability testing. It has been a number of years since I first skimmed this book and I found the changes welcome. My biggest complaint with the book continues to be a lack of a summary or checklist on the high level points with references to where the topic is covered in more detail. ...more
Catherine James
I absolutely love it when non-fiction books don't try to be so heavy in their content, and are able to communicate fascinating material with humour, tact and intelligence, and this book fits the bill to a tee.
I loved the style of writing, and for a book that was required reading for university, came away actually learning something and not feeling like it was a chore to pick it up, I even looked forward to it.

I loved the length too - too many authors seem to love the sound (sight?) of their own
Samanta
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that makes the reader think. Some quick highlights:
1. Use conventions unless you are genius.
2. Use visual hierarchies.
3. Break pages into clearly defined areas.
4. Make it obvious what’s clickable and what’s not.
5. Eliminate distractions.
6. Format content to support scanning.
Favourite quote – “Clarity trumps consistency”
Michael Economy
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a stake in the web game
Recommended to Michael by: otis, zack
Shelves: work-related
I'd bet most people could pick up a thing or two from it no matter how much web experience you have. Also, its a fairly short book, which was good.

Still I think i was thinking it would have been more focused on best practices in web design, and it was a bit broader than that. More of a jumping off point than anything else.
Damion James
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative on user experience of any medium. Like the title of the name, users shouldn't have to feel stuck or to overthink on decisions. This book teaches on how features should display and its functionality should be a simple process to the end user.
Sergiy Svitlooky
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
The book that would never get old or outdated. Just a perfect example how a book without any code samples can bring you value you will never find in the programming manuals.

• Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Designing Web Usability
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Responsive Web Design
  • The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Steve Krug (pronounced “kroog”) is best known as the author of Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, now in its second edition with over 300,000 copies in print.
Ten years later, he finally gathered enough energy to write another one: the usability testing handbook Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems.
The books were bas
“If there's one thing you learn by working on a lot of different Web sites, it's that almost any design idea--no matter how appallingly bad--can be made usable in the right circumstances, with enough effort.” 13 likes
“Don't make me think” 10 likes