Start by marking “A Tour of C++” as Want to Read:
A Tour of C++

A Tour of C++

The C++11 standard allows programmers to express ideas more clearly, simply, and directly, and to write faster, more efficient code. Bjarne Stroustrup, the designer and original implementer of C++, thoroughly covers the details of this language and its use in his definitive reference, The C++ Programming Language, Fourth Edition. In A Tour of C++ , Stroustrup excerpts the ...more
Published October 3rd 2013 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Tour of C++, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tour of C++

Start your review of A Tour of C++
Benjamin
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comp-sci, cpp
If you have no programming experience, this book won't teach it to you (read Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ instead).
Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup

If you want to learn about every detail of C++, this book won't give it to you (read The C++ Programming Language instead).
The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup

If, however, you come from another language and want to get an overview of what's possible in modern C++, or if you're an experienced C++ programmer and want to know what's new in C++11, this is the book for you. Concise and following a
John
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I haven't read a book about C++ in a long time because I mean I learned it in college and then I used it for work for so long that I figured I knew all about it and I didn't need to read a C++ book right? Well, this one is pretty short and it's written by the guy who invented C++ so I decided to give it a shot. It turns out it was pretty interesting. They came out with a new version of C++ in 2011 and they added some new keywords and features, so that was good to read about. Also, I never really ...more
Chris
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently started working on my first major professional C++ project, and this is the best introductory book for the experienced programmer I have found. I plan to follow it up with Effective Modern C++, then the big one, Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language 4th Ed. This is a great short overview from the person who invented the language. Strongly recommended, and notably clearer and more concise than most other programming books I've read.
Jakub
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Given that I've programmed in C++ before this book was perfect for me as a re-introduction.

It doesn't really explain things in depths, but it is rather just a very quick tour of the features. Perfect for someone who's an experienced programmer and has done some low level programming, but not very useful for beginners I'm afraid. Still I'd recommend reading this, if nothing it servers as a good motivational text to keep learning more.
Jake McCrary
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First a little about me. I've been a professional programmer since 2007 and I first started learning C++ sometime in 2001-2002. I've worked in a variety of languages with C++ taking up a non-trivial amount of time between the years 2007-2013. The next bit of C++ I wrote (and really, probably read) was in late 2018.

This means I've at least seen and been part of C++'s last decade of transformation. Numerous features have been added to the language and libraries since I originally started with C++.
Jeremy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book to refresh some C++ knowledge and get introduced to the latest features (C++14 and C++17) as well as the upcoming ones (C++20).

This is definitely more digestible than the C++ reference book and can be read cover to cover.

As a side note, the quality of the paperback version (not the content) is very disappointing and could definitely be better. Many typos and issues with the formatting don't give a good impression...
Antonio
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very concise. Good introduction for those starting to learn C++
Daniel
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Relatively short, "A Tour of C++" turned out to be just the book I was after. I, like many others, have found C++ to be an intimidating language, not because any one feature is particularly daunting (except maybe templates - yeesh), but rather because it supports so many different programming styles. Coming from a C background, it was very tempting for me to ease into it as "C with Classes", which C++ originally was, and not go much beyond there. That approach, though, would neither be taking ...more
Dave
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
This is pretty good high level overview of C++. The author demonstrates the basic functions of the language and points the reader to his more detailed books for more information. I plan to keep this book handy, just as a quick reference.
Junsong Li
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't looked at C++ for a few years. This book serves well for quickly getting my mindset into C++ programming.
Pavel Milchev
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
It is a good way to get a short overview of the latest standard(C++11). There is not many details, but just enough to see the possibilities of the language.
Robert
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book to have a small, yet more or less complete reference to the most important C++ features to this date, and this book fortunately turned out to be exactly that. The author, as usually, starts with the basics, like types, scope, pointers and references, classes, namespace, etc., then slowly but surely dives into the more complex topics, such as templates, variadic templates, containers, I/O, algorithms, concurrency and more. If this structure seems familiar to some, it may be ...more
Simon Booth
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and snappy overview of what constitutes C++ in 2019

Written as an intermediate level book between Stroustrup's beginner level "Programming -- Principles and Practice" and expert level "The C++ Programming Language", this book introduces the core concepts and language features that define C++ with just enough explanation for a moderately experienced programmer to understand what they are used for and when to use them. As such it is probably the ideal book for somebody who is experienced with
Vladimir K
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a decent introductory book written by the language's creator himself. It is a good book, but by golly, how can you make SO MANY MISTAKES in such a short book? Stroustrup has a hefty errata page on his website, and it's not even complete.

The book is extremely concise. Sometimes the author manages to convey the condensed design choices and concepts very well, sometimes it leaves the reader scratching their head and googling the same concepts for more information on the topic.
While I do
Foxtrot Romeo
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book quickly read, valuable as a reference book. This book is not an introduction to programming. It is more a panorama of the critical C++ features, the language evolution as well as best practices.

Already knowing an object-oriented language will prove useful to grasp lots of the concept discussed.

Having some basics of C before reading this helped me understand why some language features are the way they are in C++.

Don't expect to write top-notch C++ code after reading this rather short book
Paul
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every level of C++ programmer, novice or experienced.
IMHO everyone write software who have some knowledge of C and C++ should read it. It may not offer
as much as to novice programmer, but it is a good tour and have great coverage. And been a practical guy and the creator of C++ programming language, for how to write C++ code, it's the best you can ever get by read a book.

On the other hand, as the author mentioned, it's basically a short version of The C++ Programming Language book he wrote. So it's somehow shorter to follow as in a couple of
Jonathon Jones
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Stroustrup gives a reasonable overview of C++ in this book. I can't take points off for not taking a long time explaining each concept, since there are other books with that job, including his own. But I did have some trouble with it. In particular, the examples left a lot to be desired - he would frequently use variables like "f", rather than something clearer. Indeed, in a particularly bad case, he has both "f" and "F" as variables (one is a function, the other is a function object).

Still,
Patrick Coakley
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have any interest in picking up modern C++, you owe it to yourself to check out A Tour Of C++. The book is written in reference-tutorial style, making a great read either from start-to-finish, or as a quick way to get an overview of something you're trying to understand. I think this book bridges the gap between a lot of the great older material (Effective C++, Exceptional C++, Accelerated C++) and the more modern language features.
James
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stroustroup wanted to write his own K&R style book and here it is: A tour of C++. I think this is perhaps one of the best C++ books I have ever read. I had many big aha-moments while I was reading this. This book is a lot more clear and easy to understand than 90% of C++ books out there. The only downside is that the codes are a bit inconsistent and need some tweaking and modification to make them work. However, I found it a good exercise to fix the code. Overall, awesome book.
Ashkan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is not for folk who want to learn C++ from start. It is also not for people who want a c++ bible. This is an in between introduction that assumes you know the language and gives you some more detail. It is not really structured well if you are not already knowledgeable about c++. The examples jump in between concepts and are not fully explained.
Matt Diephouse
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Exactly as described: this was a good tour of newer C++ features. Having not really written any C++ since college 10 years ago, I wanted to brush up and learn some of the newer things that are available. I thought this did a good job of covering exactly what I'd want to know.
M. Cetin
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tour of C++ is an exceptional mid level C++ book. Rather than basic language features and step by step C++ teaching, Bjarne shares invaluable advises on developing good C++ code. Before reading the book I offer one to be familiar with standard library at least.
Ali
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its a tour of C++ as the name suggests. The reader should not expect a thorough description of all the language features and facilities but only an introduction to the most useful one's. The book is useful for both intermediate and advanced C++ programmers.
David  Della Rossa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you want to learn C++ this is not the right book.
This is more of a very succint summary of all the features of the language.
Very good if you are already a programmer and want a quick grasp of what C++ language can do.
Denis Kozhushenko
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Good overview of the C++ including the features introduced in latest standards. Good for programmers who worked with C++98 and want to catch up.
Nisarg Shah
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: code
Clear, concise. Great for experienced programmers who have at least some exposure to C++.
Emad
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a good briefing to C++11. Short and concise.
Jan Kroken
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had significant issues with some of Bjarne's other books, but this one is great.
This is probably the best introduction to C++ for experienced programmers.
Sulaiman Akhtari
i want to learn this book i am poor boy an i live in a poor countrt
Andy
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good coverage of subject.
« previous 1 3 next »
met author 1 1 Aug 22, 2018 05:50PM

• Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • The C Programming Language
  • Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • C++ Primer
  • The Art of Computer Programming: Volume 3: Sorting and Searching

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“assignment in addition to the copy constructor: Click here to view code image Vector& Vector::operator=(const Vector& a)       // copy assignment {     double* p = new double[a.sz];     for (int i=0; i!=a.sz; ++i)          p[i] = a.elem[i];     delete[] elem;        // delete old elements     elem = p;     sz = a.sz;     return *this; } The name this is predefined in a member function and points to the object for which the member function is called. 4.6.2. Moving Containers We can control copying by defining” 0 likes