Start by marking “Crinul si leul (Regii blestemati, #6)” as Want to Read:
Crinul si leul (Regii blestemati, #6)

Crinul si leul

(The Accursed Kings #6)

In februarie 1328, se stinge, dupa o domnie la fel de scurta si nesemnificativa ca si cea a fratilor sai mai mari, Carol al IV-lea si, o data cu el, dinastia Capetienilor. Multumita aranjamentelor lui Robert d'Artois, este desemnat regent Filip de Valois; cand, cateva luni mai tarziu, regina da nastere unei fete, el devine rege, spre bucuria poporului care se temea ca Fran ...more
Paperback
Published 2004 by Humanitas (first published 1959)

Heather
Unlike game of thrones, this series waits to kill off a favorite character until book six. This series has remained strong throughout. Many times you find yourself thinking, did that really happen? You google it, and of course it did.
Sud666
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The infamous curse of the Templar Grandmaster, Jacque de Molay cursed the line of Capetin Kings at his burning, has come true. Charles IV is dead. The powerful Count Robert of Artois maneuvers to place his cousin, Philippe of Valois onto the throne. Along the way, due to his previous conflict with Lady Mahaut over Artois, he manages to implicate himself in an entire mess of forgery, bribery and perjury over his historical claim to Artois.

As this mess is happening in France, England has a new, yo
Roman Clodia
Although this book gives us the first of the Valois kings, it's really Robert of Artois's book - which is a bit of a problem for those of us who've found him crude and rather simplistic throughout the series.

The canvas has enlarged significantly as Isabella makes a claim for the French throne on behalf of her son, Edward III, laying the ground for the Hundred Years War and we witness the demise of Mortimer.

In the foreground, though, is Robert: scheming, bedding women, eating and drinking enorm
Bou
Charles dies and is succeeded by his nephew, Philippe of Valois. Robert of Artois flees to England, where Edward III regains his power. Meanwhile, a Frenchman living in Italy hears exciting news.
Erick
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuance of the france wolves?

If you want to learn some about french history this books series will fulfill your expectations, love, lust, betrayal, war, conspiracy and other things will made your brain explode!
Stephen Richter
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
The demise book, as in many of the major players from the previous books find their end here. And it did not come peacefully in bed.
Andrei Roibu
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this book is that it is the best in the entire series. Compared to all the other novels, you can say that all the intrigue, all the treachery, all the mystery of the series was put into this one novel. Not to say that the fact that the action now takes places in France, England and Italy increases that feeling of global consequences generated by the actions of the protagonists. This book has moments that make you scratch your head, moments that fill you with joy and moments t ...more
Augusto Bernardi
This was another excellent historical fiction which actually spans over a very long period of time. This could have easily been the last book of the series to me at least because (SPOILER ALERT) the rest of the characters from all the previous books die off in this one. This book as well raises the steaks to an international level as opposed to domestic issues in the french or English court. As per usual this one was quite tragic. I would have liked to have had more scenes with Guccio and Tolome ...more
Sara Giacalone
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, the best one in the series.
Samuel Rooke
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conceived as the end of the series (a seventh book of sorts would come seventeen years later, but this was certainly intended as the ending when it was written), “The Lily and the Lion” brings very definitive conclusions to all the surviving principal characters of the series, and the titular premise of the series itself. It has a sense of focus and purpose some of the earlier books lacked, and Druon feels very much in control as he brings everything to a close.

The widening of scope to other nat
Patrick St-Denis
Like many other speculative fiction readers, it's thanks to George R. R. Martin that I discovered the excellent The Accursed Kings by French author Maurice Druon. As the main inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire, I was eager to give this series a shot. The first two volumes were very good, but the third installment failed to live up to the expectations generated by its predecessors. The Royal Succession was a return to form for the author and I was looking forward to see if the fifth book woul ...more
Russ Smith
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, this is the last of the series and what a great series it was. The first book sets up the long tale with the cruel destruction of the Templars by Phillip the Fair, the Iron King, and the curse spewed out by the Templar Grand Master as he died at the stake in flames. Each story line is more lurid than the next with plots and schemes all the way from murder and witchcraft, to betrayal, lies and theft. All this in the context of a greedy struggle for power driven by pride. The books are histori ...more
Pippa Fox
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an English translation of this one (from a recycled books place). A wonderful storyteller, very well researched. Gripping, often funny and spinechilling by turns, paints a flesh and blood picture of the middle ages. characters jump off the page and are hard to forget! More please...am now hunting for the rest of the books in the Accursed Kings series.
Marshall
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well much too much happened in this book. Suffice it to say I am not going to reveal the details of what Robert of Artois, King Jean, Mahut and Beatrice d'Hirson get up to in this book. It would spoil the fun! Needless to say ownership of Artois is still a central plot element. And the Valois monarchs are no more cognizant of the importance of this province in their future (if they are to have one at all) than their Capetian predecessors.Pope John XXII still has an impact as do the Lombard banki ...more
MrsER
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sixth installment of Druon’s excellent series “Les Rois Maudits.” Here I saw confirmed by the author himself that Robert d’Artois was his “personage préféré”! Clearly, throughout the whole series Druon favored the rambunctious, violent, frequently ignoble Robert; I could not help feeling some kind of attachment for him too; maybe for his underdog status… This volume has an excellent bibliography and the Notes Historiques and bibliography are abundant and very interesting. (This is not the last v ...more
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Audio: Great book. I hated Robert of Atwais, he has been a menace throughout the entire series but I hated to see him come to an end too. While this was a great book, so many of the characters I loved in the previous books are old or dead (or will be dead by the end of this book). So many get what they deserve yet it's still sad as you know the story is coming to an end.

I'm also going into the last book (7) of the series with trepidation--this should have been the end of the series. I can't see
Will Chin
I know there are seven books in The Accursed Kings series by Maurice Druon, but do I really need to read book 7 to have a proper closure? Judging by reviews and the fact that book 7 was published 17 years after the sixth almost like an afterthought, I’d say the answer is: no, this is it. The story has been told, and this is as good as it gets.

And what a story!

I came into this series the same way as many other readers here, I’m sure. George RR Martin dubbed this series as “the original Game of T
Gonzalo Rodriguez Garcia
This is an abrupt ending if there was ever one. Not a bad one though, just unexpected. It is not that Druon reveals here the whole story was in truth not about the Capet dynasty, but about Robert and Mahaut instead. However, he makes it explicit by ending the story when they die. Right when the Hundred Year War starts! I am disappointed with the book in as much as I wanted more, but I think it is just a good point to finish as it could be. Otherwise, we might have been reading about the French m ...more
Nikhil
This is the first book that I've discontinued in a long time. Hundred pages into it and I'm disappointed with the linear plot of the lawsuit, where all the prequels have focussed on more intriguing facets of the story. Maybe it gets better and maybe it doesn't, but I'm hesitant to turn another page. It's been going downhill since The Royal Succession and I don't intend to let my standards fall any lower.
Ana ★ Tesserell
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-likes
+this got the feel of "all the actors have been gathered on the stage, let the final scene commence". No BS, it got straight to the points
+Beatrice shines in this

-the fucking raven was killed by Mortimer 2 installments ago, did Druon have such a short memory?
-rape is ok, but not fake docs (both by the era's and the author's standards)
-synopsis on cover 4 once more spoils the ending, by describing the 4th part of the book!!! (out of 4 parts, naturally)
Finton
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good way to end the series (he wrote another but it isn't really as mainstream in the series). Druon suffers from trying to make everything look important and often getting sidetracked. His writing style is very interesting to read though and informative enough that you learn something. A thoroughly good historical series, and this is a great way to finish it.
Jeffrey M
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While still full of the epic proportions of the previous five novels, The Lily and The Lion has many more long narrated chunks, which never quite fascinate as much as the more personal moments from the points of view of various characters. Still a great read, with some of the most interesting events yet.
Mariana Martinez Bustamante
I found kind of annoying that most of the book was about Robert of Artois. However, I really enjoyed the beginning of the Hundred Year’s War and the ending of Giannino, since the cursed of the templars affected him as well.

I wouldn’t read it again. Definitely not as good as the first 4 books.
Sue Law
Interesting to read a historical novel about the start of the 100 years war by a French author with a French slant. A rather abrupt ending mid flight followed by an epilogue tying up a loose end. We are given the authors view of what the curse really was.
Lexy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that's it. The Capetian dynasty ends in this book, and even though most (if not all) of the Kings who reigned after Phillip the Fair were pretty terrible, I can't help feeling saddened by the extinction of the dynasty. It's pretty crazy how a few bad rulers in succession can destroy a 300 year old dynasty in just 50 years.

Story-wise, this book was quite adventurous and documents the beginning of the 100 years war, with Edward III of England invading France and asserting his claim as the l
Jo
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the good kind of historical fiction - well researched political intrigue, not "oh my husband is lovely but must go away"
(sorry, but I've been thinking about Phillipa Gregory's book lately and how they annoy me)
Neida
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as past volumes. This is an awesome series firmly rooted in historical events. On to the last volume....
Alison
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had planned on waiting a while before reading the last of this series but after reading this one I can't wait.
Bossi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the intrigue is coming to its ultimate realisation, as the story enters the final stages leading up to the start of the Hundred Years War. One of my favorites in this excellent series!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fortune de France
  • El prisionero enmascarado
  • Aphrodite
  • Роксолана
  • L'Allée du Roi
  • Castile for Isabella (Isabella and Ferdinand, #1)
  • La reine soleil
  • Young Henry of Navarre
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • The Siege of Isfahan
  • Making an Exit: From the Magnificent to the Macabre -- How We Dignify the Dead
  • The Pope's Rhinoceros
  • Wife to Charles II
  • La chambre maudite (Le bal des louves, #1)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee

The Accursed Kings (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • La reina estrangulada (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)
  • Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • De cómo un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)
“First love is the only pure and happy one. If it goes wrong, nothing can replace it. Later loves can never attain to the same limpid perfection; though they may be as solid, as marble, they are streaked with veins of another colour, the dried blood of the past.” 5 likes
“Es error común de los humanos creer que el prójimo concede a su persona tanta importancia como cada uno se da a sí mismo; los demás, a no ser que tengan interés particular en el recuerdo, olvidan rápidamente lo que nos ha ocurrido, y si no lo han olvidado, su recuerdo no tiene la firmeza que imaginamos.” 0 likes