Start by marking “Crinul și leul (Regii blestemați, #6)” as Want to Read:
Crinul și leul (Regii blestemați, #6)

Crinul și leul

(The Accursed Kings #6)

In februarie 1328, se stinge, dupa o domnie la fel de scurta si nesemnificativa ca si cea a fratilor sai mai mari, Carol al IV-lea si, o data cu el, dinastia Capetienilor. Multumita aranjamentelor lui Robert d'Artois, este desemnat regent Filip de Valois; cand, cateva luni mai tarziu, regina da nastere unei fete, el devine rege, spre bucuria poporului care se temea ca Fran ...more
Paperback
Published 2004 by Humanitas (first published 1959)

Start your review of Crinul și leul (Regii blestemați, #6)
Heather
Unlike game of thrones, this series waits to kill off a favorite character until book six. This series has remained strong throughout. Many times you find yourself thinking, did that really happen? You google it, and of course it did.
Sud666
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The infamous curse of the Templar Grandmaster, Jacque de Molay cursed the line of Capetin Kings at his burning, has come true. Charles IV is dead. The powerful Count Robert of Artois maneuvers to place his cousin, Philippe of Valois onto the throne. Along the way, due to his previous conflict with Lady Mahaut over Artois, he manages to implicate himself in an entire mess of forgery, bribery and perjury over his historical claim to Artois.

As this mess is happening in France, England has a new, yo
Roman Clodia
Although this book gives us the first of the Valois kings, it's really Robert of Artois's book - which is a bit of a problem for those of us who've found him crude and rather simplistic throughout the series.

The canvas has enlarged significantly as Isabella makes a claim for the French throne on behalf of her son, Edward III, laying the ground for the Hundred Years War and we witness the demise of Mortimer.

In the foreground, though, is Robert: scheming, bedding women, eating and drinking enorm
Boudewijn
Charles dies and is succeeded by his nephew, Philippe of Valois. Robert of Artois flees to England, where Edward III regains his power. Meanwhile, a Frenchman living in Italy hears exciting news.
Erick
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuance of the france wolves?

If you want to learn some about french history this books series will fulfill your expectations, love, lust, betrayal, war, conspiracy and other things will made your brain explode!
Andrei Roibu
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this book is that it is the best in the entire series. Compared to all the other novels, you can say that all the intrigue, all the treachery, all the mystery of the series was put into this one novel. Not to say that the fact that the action now takes places in France, England and Italy increases that feeling of global consequences generated by the actions of the protagonists. This book has moments that make you scratch your head, moments that fill you with joy and moments t ...more
Stephen Richter
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
The demise book, as in many of the major players from the previous books find their end here. And it did not come peacefully in bed.
Augusto Bernardi
This was another excellent historical fiction which actually spans over a very long period of time. This could have easily been the last book of the series to me at least because (SPOILER ALERT) the rest of the characters from all the previous books die off in this one. This book as well raises the steaks to an international level as opposed to domestic issues in the french or English court. As per usual this one was quite tragic. I would have liked to have had more scenes with Guccio and Tolome ...more
Bandile Nxele
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find these books to be nothing short of amazing. You would think that after five books you are comfortable with the authors writing style and perhaps he might not surprise you with twists in the story like he used to in the first few books, but the drama never ends with Druon as narrator. This book once again takes us to through a journey of the capetian dynasty, focusing mainly on my favorite character in Robert of Artois. Hence this book was a pleasure. The drama in this book is captivating ...more
Will Chin
I know there are seven books in The Accursed Kings series by Maurice Druon, but do I really need to read book 7 to have a proper closure? Judging by reviews and the fact that book 7 was published 17 years after the sixth almost like an afterthought, I’d say the answer is: no, this is it. The story has been told, and this is as good as it gets.

And what a story!

I came into this series the same way as many other readers here, I’m sure. George RR Martin dubbed this series as “the original Game of T
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
The Accursed Kings is an entertaining series and this one was, initially, the last. Our anti-hero, Robert of Artois, is well on his way to achieving revenge on his evil aunt and getting that which was taken off him, back. But no, it's never that easy. And so we come to that moment when the curse of the Templars reaches its peak and France falls into near-anarchy all because of a desire for justice being thwarted.
Excellent series.
Sara Giacalone
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, the best one in the series.
Matt
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Druon appears to tie up the series in this novel, full of intrigue and drama, though he did pen a seventh and last one years later. Charles IV lays dying in France, the last of the sons of Philip the Fair, and therefore perhaps the last to be cursed by the Templars. Strong negotiations amongst the Council chooses Philippe of Valois, a cousin, to assume the role of King of France. Philippe VI begins planning his reign and hopes to rid himself of familial enemies and those who may see his selectio ...more
Samuel
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Conceived as the end of the series (a seventh book of sorts would come seventeen years later, but this was certainly intended as the ending when it was written), “The Lily and the Lion” brings very definitive conclusions to all the surviving principal characters of the series, and the titular premise of the series itself. It has a sense of focus and purpose some of the earlier books lacked, and Druon feels very much in control as he brings everything to a close.

The widening of scope to other nat
Patrick St-Denis
Like many other speculative fiction readers, it's thanks to George R. R. Martin that I discovered the excellent The Accursed Kings by French author Maurice Druon. As the main inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire, I was eager to give this series a shot. The first two volumes were very good, but the third installment failed to live up to the expectations generated by its predecessors. The Royal Succession was a return to form for the author and I was looking forward to see if the fifth book woul ...more
Russ Smith
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, this is the last of the series and what a great series it was. The first book sets up the long tale with the cruel destruction of the Templars by Phillip the Fair, the Iron King, and the curse spewed out by the Templar Grand Master as he died at the stake in flames. Each story line is more lurid than the next with plots and schemes all the way from murder and witchcraft, to betrayal, lies and theft. All this in the context of a greedy struggle for power driven by pride. The books are histori ...more
Pippa Fox
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an English translation of this one (from a recycled books place). A wonderful storyteller, very well researched. Gripping, often funny and spinechilling by turns, paints a flesh and blood picture of the middle ages. characters jump off the page and are hard to forget! More please...am now hunting for the rest of the books in the Accursed Kings series.
Joe Santoro
When it comes to historical fiction, it's difficult to criticize the plot, since it actually happened, but one can't help but feel disappointed at Robert's end... it seemed truly ignoble. Perhaps a bit of embellishment was in order? Even the author admits it.. he writes (in all caps), after Robert's death he has not the heart to tell more of the story, even though he has brought events up to the beginning of the Hundred Years' War.

I can blame him a bit for the lack of story for Guccio, who makes
Marshall
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well much too much happened in this book. Suffice it to say I am not going to reveal the details of what Robert of Artois, King Jean, Mahut and Beatrice d'Hirson get up to in this book. It would spoil the fun! Needless to say ownership of Artois is still a central plot element. And the Valois monarchs are no more cognizant of the importance of this province in their future (if they are to have one at all) than their Capetian predecessors.Pope John XXII still has an impact as do the Lombard banki ...more
Colleen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, the main character meets his end as does the storyline of so many of the historical characters. No spoilers since we all know these people existed and must have died at sometime. However, I am now into the last book of the series and I feel that I have gotten all that is to give from the prior books. In other words, history marches on (the French/English war) but with the passing of the characters I have followed from the beginning of the Accused Kings, it is over except for the mopping u ...more
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Audio: Great book. I hated Robert of Atwais, he has been a menace throughout the entire series but I hated to see him come to an end too. While this was a great book, so many of the characters I loved in the previous books are old or dead (or will be dead by the end of this book). So many get what they deserve yet it's still sad as you know the story is coming to an end.

I'm also going into the last book (7) of the series with trepidation--this should have been the end of the series. I can't see
Gonzalo Rodriguez Garcia
This is an abrupt ending if there was ever one. Not a bad one though, just unexpected. It is not that Druon reveals here the whole story was in truth not about the Capet dynasty, but about Robert and Mahaut instead. However, he makes it explicit by ending the story when they die. Right when the Hundred Year War starts! I am disappointed with the book in as much as I wanted more, but I think it is just a good point to finish as it could be. Otherwise, we might have been reading about the French m ...more
Jesse
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent addition in the "Accursed Kings" series.

We see the results of the Queen's grab for power, as well as her love affairs. We continue to see Robert's violence and passion for goals (to his ultimate demise). We see the hidden prince realize his potential and then his silly attempts to reconcile what he has learned with what he is actually capable of in the real world.

I must say, this novel felt very much like the end of the series. I am very curious what is left to resolve in the
Nikhil Iyengar
This is the first book that I've discontinued in a long time. Hundred pages into it and I'm disappointed with the linear plot of the lawsuit, where all the prequels have focussed on more intriguing facets of the story. Maybe it gets better and maybe it doesn't, but I'm hesitant to turn another page. It's been going downhill since The Royal Succession and I don't intend to let my standards fall any lower.
Rose
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Capetian line are dead and buried! This novel are the best in the series. And YES! It had always been about Robert of Artois from the beginning. I believe ‘The Lily and the Lion’ is the final installment. Maurice Druon writing style brought French’s warring events and line of successions vividly to life. I am now well versed in the Capetian line of succession. ‘The Accursed Kings’ one my best read series for 2019.
J
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5
Solid like the rest of the Accursed Kings series. A bit different than the previous books, in that there's not as wide a breadth of character povs...some interesting decisions to cut some character development shoet. Book is really Robert Artois' show and covers a wider time period than earlier books. Overall does a good job of staying largely true to history and making it come alive.
Jeffrey M
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While still full of the epic proportions of the previous five novels, The Lily and The Lion has many more long narrated chunks, which never quite fascinate as much as the more personal moments from the points of view of various characters. Still a great read, with some of the most interesting events yet.
Finton
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good way to end the series (he wrote another but it isn't really as mainstream in the series). Druon suffers from trying to make everything look important and often getting sidetracked. His writing style is very interesting to read though and informative enough that you learn something. A thoroughly good historical series, and this is a great way to finish it.
Raquel Carlos
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe, this it’s a finally I this moment I dint know who next but I liked. I similar to the author I so sad because Robert d artoris died I hope, he was just and mahut was a evil person, I think so different finally to Robert but one character that his magnitud don’t have anymore finally that the author give (sorry for my English but I need practice and this is the god opportunity )
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Los Reyes Malditos I: El Rey de Hielo
  • Y Julia retó a los dioses (Julia Domna, #2)
  • La Reina Isabel Cantaba Rancheras
  • Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)
  • Когда король губит Францию
  • The Family
  • The Prize
  • Santa María de las flores negras
  • Salamina
  • Roman Republic
  • Los caminantes (Los caminantes, #1)
  • Altazor, Or, a Voyage in a Parachute
  • Race of Scorpions (The House of Niccolo, #3)
  • Postscript to the Name of the Rose
  • Le Grand Cœur
  • A flor de piel
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee

The Accursed Kings (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • La reina estrangulada (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)
  • Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • De cómo un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)