Start by marking “Otravurile coroanei (Regii blestemati, #3)” as Want to Read:
Otravurile coroanei (Regii blestemati, #3)

Otravurile coroanei

(The Accursed Kings #3)

La sase luni dupa moartea Regelui de Fier, majoritatea reformelor lui par deja sortite esecului, oamenii lui de incredere sint inchisi si nimeni parca nu-si mai aduce aminte de domnia lui dreapta. In provincie, marii feudali submineaza autoritatea regala, unii dintre ei au dreptul de a bate moneda si profita din plin de acest lucru.

Administratia regala, nemaifiind sever co
Paperback
Published 2004 by Humanitas (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Otravurile coroanei, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otravurile coroanei

Kalliope

On the third volume of the saga of The Accursed Kings, the demise of the Capet dynasty continues, even if the various personalities did not know it yet.

The subtitles to each volume already indicate the episode that will be developed. Poison. And therefore death of the first of the accursed three sons of Philippe IV, Louis X (1289-1316).

In general, Druon follows rather closely the historical events, and his factual content is supplemented by the generous use of the footnotes, which I do not want
Sud666
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent historical fiction about the struggle for the French crown. Philliph the Fair is dead. His son, Louis X the Hutin (Hutin can be read as "Quarller, Headstrong or Stubborn" in French), now rules. His first wife, Marguerite of Burgundy, has been killed while in prison for adultery. This was done because there is no Pope. This story takes place during the time of the Avignon Papacy where the Papal throne had moved to Avignon. Thus without an elected Pope there can be no annulment of the ...more
Gabrielle
Ah, Mahaut of Artois! I’ll never understand why you are not better known as one of the greatest villains of literature! You will stop at nothing to defeat your nephew Robert and put your own lineage closer to the throne of France. Plotting, murder, witchcraft, nothing is too extreme for you!

I am such a huge fan of this series of historical novels about the Capetian line and the beginning of the Hundred Year war. The language is clean yet poetic, the intrigue so deliciously detailed and the chara
Roman Clodia
This third of the series concentrates on the second half of Louis X's short reign. Druon's formula continues to make this a fun, light way of learning about the Capet dynasty but there are times where I yearned for more depth, political analysis and less historical soap opera.

Guiccio still manages to be practically everywhere and know everyone of importance; the king's new wife is a one-dimensional angel; and the struggle between Mahaut and Robert over Artois continues.

With poisonings, conspir
Natasa
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-history
Maurice Druon does a wonderful job, bringing the middle ages alive. I can see the knights in shining armor, battling for their countries, and the kings waging war, fighting to win. His fiction is so reality-based that I feel I am right there. I enjoyed this book very much, as I did the previous two in this series.
Christine
Okay, I know officially love this series.

It's so - Italian.

Yeah, I know it takes place in France, but it's like The Prince.

Mahut is so wonderful.

And the ending, that was great.
Sarah u
I loved The Iron King, the first Accursed Kings novel. The second novel, The Strangled Queen, was not as good, but readable enough.

This book, though- I have no idea what has happened. Has something been lost in translation? Have my tastes changed so quickly? This just didn't feel like a novel to me. I read novels to be told a story. This didn't feel like a story. I didn't like being told to refer to the previous books or endnotes in a story, I didn't like reading page after page with no convers
Samantha
I had a difficult time rating this book. Here's my problem:

My books rated 4 stars could be really, really good but missing that *something* that would make them 5-star. They could also be better than average - good enough that I would feel bad giving them three stars.

My books rated 3 stars range between not quite bad enough to give only 2 stars to and average. Nothing to write home about.

So when I rate this book 3 stars (thank you BookLikes for enabling me to make it 3.5), I feel like I may be g
Bou
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enguerrand de Marigny, the Grand Chamberlain of France, is executed and Louis' uncle—Charles of Valois, leader of the feudalist party—is the de facto king of France. Margaret of Burgundy dies in prison and Louis marries Clementia of Hungary.
Elspeth G. Perkin
The Poisoned Crown (The Accursed Kings, Book 3) is another literary gem in the crown of author Maurice Druon's legacy. Simply this is a brilliant series that illustrates sublime research, distinct writing mastery and should not be missed by those who love classic historical fiction. The Poisoned Crown is the third installment of The Accursed Kings series which follows the shattered reigns of the House of Capet. Each novel continues the saga of the previous installment and I would strongly encour ...more
I tried to get into this book but realised that I was avoiding reading it. This isn’t because the author isn’t very knowledgeable, he certainly is, but more because I didn’t find this book kept my interest as much as the other books did and I found myself becoming more and more confused with who all the characters are.
This book is full of historical detail and accuracy and is very well written it’s just not for me at this time. I might come back to it in the future.
Claire
With each part, I enjoy this series more. There is an interesting storyline (right from real life), it is historically accurate (as to facts in general, the interpretation might be different) and well written. Also, I think Druon manages very well to expose the characters of the MC of his novels,even though the series are very peopled.
Who needs fantasy, if there is this:-)

I higly recommend it.
Daylin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. It really picked up towards the end and thank God these books are so short.
Andrea C
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
maybe 3.5/5, but still very enjoyable read
Augusto Bernardi
Again a great book by Maurice Druon. About equally as good the previous but the only complaint I have for this book is there are no plot twists because Druon keeps spoiling them himself throughout the novel. This is infuriating for someone who isn't familiar with French history like I am. Even the title is a spoiler. Besides that the book is very well written with the cruel murders and for a change, a more romantic perspective of the nobility.

Starts with a brief recap of the current situation i
Matt
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Druon spins new mystery in there third instalment of The Accursed Kings. With Louis X on the throne, France has started to see his own personal imprint. The reader will remember that Louis faced a marital and queenly dilemma, when his wife was jailed for her adulterous ways. Luckily, a deal could be brokered that saw Clémence of Hungary as a possible new wife, young enough to produce a male heir and not yet spoken for, but coming from a distant branch of Louis' own family. On her journey from Na ...more
Marina
3rd installment in "The Accursed Kings" series.
Princess Clementia arrives at France after a terrible storm at sea (which, among other things she considers to be an ill omen for her marriage) to meet her fiancee king Louis, who meanwhile goes to an ill-fated war against Flanders.
Jeanne of Burgundy, the one sister-in-law of Isabella of France not guilty of adultery, but only of aiding and abetting, is released from her confinement and reunited with her husband Philippe of Poitiers.
Guccio and Marie
Lisa
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This one seems to take more liberties with history than the previous two entries. This tale continues the short reign of Louis X and how in ten short months undid a lot of the work of his predecessor. The questions around Louis' death is explored fully in this chapter. The side story continues with the Lombard banker Guccio's quest to marry the woman he is in love with. This story is almost more interesting than the main story line, since this one demonstrates the absurdity of the nobility to ma ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Another step forward in the tale of the Cursed Kings and everything is definitely going downhill for the French monarchy. The new king, Louis, having done away with his adulterous wife, has taken a new, beautiful but moral one and actually changed from incompetent buffoon to holy idiot. Those around him are manipulating the situation to suit their own end, chief amongst them, Mahaut and Robert in their struggle against each other to control Artois. Meanwhile we follow the adventures of Guccio, f ...more
Heather
I am, admittedly, a little addicted to this series. I know it's not amazing literature, but it's fantastic, fast-paced story telling. More than once, you will ask yourself, did this really happen? Then you will google it and realize it in fact did happen.
Clarissa
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would ever finish this book. It was almost as awful as The Hutin himself.
Elena
3.75 stars.
I enjoyed it slightly less than the first two books, but it remains a fully enjoyable read, and I am very curious to read the next novel in the series.
Cristina Sburlea
I am so in love with this novel
Sara Giacalone
These books are an easy read, full of interesting tidbits (as well as some historical inaccuracies). I like the author's occasional pithy statements and remarks.
Mark Ellis
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb as were the two previous volumes in the series. Can't wait to read the fourth.
Erik Byron
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After taking a year or so hiatus from this series and remembering a surprising amount of the first two books, I have finished the third volume of Les Rois maudits, the Accursed Kings.

This book focuses on the end of the reign of Louis X, le Hutin (the quarreler), including his second marriage and obsession with creating an heir. However it is two sub-plots that really crate the motion and meat of the book - the inheritance of the county of Artois and the romance of Marie de Cressay and Guccio Bag
Samuel Rooke
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Iron King” and “The Strangled Queen” focused primarily on courtly intrigue and politics, with a chapter about young Guccio occasionally peppered in, but “The Poisoned Crown” focuses so much on Guccio that the ratio feels flipped. The monarchy feels like the subplot here, with Guccio’s adventures the “main” story of the book.

I was very happy about this, as Guccio is the most compelling character to me, and the characters he interacts with are more easily distinguishable than the more compli
Adam  McPhee
These books fucking rule.

This one's about the short reign of Louis X. He has a disastrous war in the mud, and Artois gets torn up with what's essentially private war between nobles, a pious turn brought on by love for the queen, Dante gets read, poisoners poison, and Philipe, Count of Poitiers, becomes something of a statesman. Also the Lombard advances his romance.

Mahaut is a stonecold bitch but she has great taste in books, look at all those chansons de geste:
(view spoiler)
Gonzalo Rodriguez Garcia
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fortune de France
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • L'Allée du Roi
  • The Chatelet Apprentice
  • Belle Catherine (Catherine, #3)
  • Castile for Isabella (Isabella and Ferdinand, #1)
  • Роксолана
  • Young Henry of Navarre
  • La reine soleil
  • Saga Sigrun (Północna Droga, #1)
  • Aliénor d'Aquitaine
  • Aphrodite
  • Angelique and the King  (Angélique: Original version #3)
  • The Siege of Isfahan
  • A Voz dos Deuses
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee

The Accursed Kings (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • La reina estrangulada (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • La flor de lis y el león (Los Reyes Malditos, #6)
  • De cómo un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)