Start by marking “Otrăvurile coroanei (Regii blestemați, #3)” as Want to Read:
Otrăvurile coroanei (Regii blestemați, #3)

Otrăvurile coroanei

(The Accursed Kings #3)

La sase luni dupa moartea Regelui de Fier, majoritatea reformelor lui par deja sortite esecului, oamenii lui de incredere sint inchisi si nimeni parca nu-si mai aduce aminte de domnia lui dreapta. In provincie, marii feudali submineaza autoritatea regala, unii dintre ei au dreptul de a bate moneda si profita din plin de acest lucru.

Administratia regala, nemaifiind sever co
Paperback
Published 2004 by Humanitas (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Otrăvurile coroanei, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otrăvurile coroanei

Start your review of Otrăvurile coroanei (Regii blestemați, #3)
Kalliope

On the third volume of the saga of The Accursed Kings, the demise of the Capet dynasty continues, even if the various personalities did not know it yet.

The subtitles to each volume already indicate the episode that will be developed. Poison. And therefore death of the first of the accursed three sons of Philippe IV, Louis X (1289-1316).

In general, Druon follows rather closely the historical events, and his factual content is supplemented by the generous use of the footnotes, which I do not want
Sud666
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent historical fiction about the struggle for the French crown. Philliph the Fair is dead. His son, Louis X the Hutin (Hutin can be read as "Quarller, Headstrong or Stubborn" in French), now rules. His first wife, Marguerite of Burgundy, has been killed while in prison for adultery. This was done because there is no Pope. This story takes place during the time of the Avignon Papacy where the Papal throne had moved to Avignon. Thus without an elected Pope there can be no annulment of the ...more
Gabrielle
Ah, Mahaut of Artois! I’ll never understand why you are not better known as one of the greatest villains of literature! You will stop at nothing to defeat your nephew Robert and put your own lineage closer to the throne of France. Plotting, murder, witchcraft, nothing is too extreme for you!

I am such a huge fan of this series of historical novels about the Capetian line and the beginning of the Hundred Year war. The language is clean yet poetic, the intrigue so deliciously detailed and the chara
Natasa
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-history
Maurice Druon does a wonderful job, bringing the middle ages alive. I can see the knights in shining armor, battling for their countries, and the kings waging war, fighting to win. His fiction is so reality-based that I feel I am right there. I enjoyed this book very much, as I did the previous two in this series.
Roman Clodia
This third of the series concentrates on the second half of Louis X's short reign. Druon's formula continues to make this a fun, light way of learning about the Capet dynasty but there are times where I yearned for more depth, political analysis and less historical soap opera.

Guiccio still manages to be practically everywhere and know everyone of importance; the king's new wife is a one-dimensional angel; and the struggle between Mahaut and Robert over Artois continues.

With poisonings, conspir
Raimondo Lagioia
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
There seems to be a pattern in the first three books of Les Rois Maudits - they always end with the demise of a monarch. It was Philippe le Bel in The Iron King and his lascivious daughter-in-law Queen Marguerite in the immediate sequel. Here, Louis le Hutin makes his exit. One can only hope that this pattern is broken in the next book, seeing how young his prospective heirs are.

The appended family tree is the same as in the previous books, and so is not entirely helpful. I had to make my own c
Christine
Okay, I know officially love this series.

It's so - Italian.

Yeah, I know it takes place in France, but it's like The Prince.

Mahut is so wonderful.

And the ending, that was great.
Sarah u
I loved The Iron King, the first Accursed Kings novel. The second novel, The Strangled Queen, was not as good, but readable enough.

This book, though- I have no idea what has happened. Has something been lost in translation? Have my tastes changed so quickly? This just didn't feel like a novel to me. I read novels to be told a story. This didn't feel like a story. I didn't like being told to refer to the previous books or endnotes in a story, I didn't like reading page after page with no convers
Samantha
I had a difficult time rating this book. Here's my problem:

My books rated 4 stars could be really, really good but missing that *something* that would make them 5-star. They could also be better than average - good enough that I would feel bad giving them three stars.

My books rated 3 stars range between not quite bad enough to give only 2 stars to and average. Nothing to write home about.

So when I rate this book 3 stars (thank you BookLikes for enabling me to make it 3.5), I feel like I may b
Boudewijn
Enguerrand de Marigny, the Grand Chamberlain of France, is executed and Louis' uncle—Charles of Valois, leader of the feudalist party—is the de facto king of France. Margaret of Burgundy dies in prison and Louis marries Clementia of Hungary.
Matt
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Druon spins new mystery in there third instalment of The Accursed Kings. With Louis X on the throne, France has started to see his own personal imprint. The reader will remember that Louis faced a marital and queenly dilemma, when his wife was jailed for her adulterous ways. Luckily, a deal could be brokered that saw Clémence of Hungary as a possible new wife, young enough to produce a male heir and not yet spoken for, but coming from a distant branch of Louis' own family. On her journey from Na ...more
Elspeth G. Perkin
The Poisoned Crown (The Accursed Kings, Book 3) is another literary gem in the crown of author Maurice Druon's legacy. Simply this is a brilliant series that illustrates sublime research, distinct writing mastery and should not be missed by those who love classic historical fiction. The Poisoned Crown is the third installment of The Accursed Kings series which follows the shattered reigns of the House of Capet. Each novel continues the saga of the previous installment and I would strongly encour ...more
I tried to get into this book but realised that I was avoiding reading it. This isn’t because the author isn’t very knowledgeable, he certainly is, but more because I didn’t find this book kept my interest as much as the other books did and I found myself becoming more and more confused with who all the characters are.
This book is full of historical detail and accuracy and is very well written it’s just not for me at this time. I might come back to it in the future.
Claire
With each part, I enjoy this series more. There is an interesting storyline (right from real life), it is historically accurate (as to facts in general, the interpretation might be different) and well written. Also, I think Druon manages very well to expose the characters of the MC of his novels,even though the series are very peopled.
Who needs fantasy, if there is this:-)

I higly recommend it.
Daylin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. It really picked up towards the end and thank God these books are so short.
Augusto Bernardi
Again a great book by Maurice Druon. About equally as good the previous but the only complaint I have for this book is there are no plot twists because Druon keeps spoiling them himself throughout the novel. This is infuriating for someone who isn't familiar with French history like I am. Even the title is a spoiler. Besides that the book is very well written with the cruel murders and for a change, a more romantic perspective of the nobility.

Starts with a brief recap of the current situation
Andrea C
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
maybe 3.5/5, but still very enjoyable read
Jamie Connolly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Read the English translation 3 or 4 years ago. Great books.
Lisa
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This one seems to take more liberties with history than the previous two entries. This tale continues the short reign of Louis X and how in ten short months undid a lot of the work of his predecessor. The questions around Louis' death is explored fully in this chapter. The side story continues with the Lombard banker Guccio's quest to marry the woman he is in love with. This story is almost more interesting than the main story line, since this one demonstrates the absurdity of the nobility to ma ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Another step forward in the tale of the Cursed Kings and everything is definitely going downhill for the French monarchy. The new king, Louis, having done away with his adulterous wife, has taken a new, beautiful but moral one and actually changed from incompetent buffoon to holy idiot. Those around him are manipulating the situation to suit their own end, chief amongst them, Mahaut and Robert in their struggle against each other to control Artois. Meanwhile we follow the adventures of Guccio, f ...more
Heather
I am, admittedly, a little addicted to this series. I know it's not amazing literature, but it's fantastic, fast-paced story telling. More than once, you will ask yourself, did this really happen? Then you will google it and realize it in fact did happen.
Clarissa
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would ever finish this book. It was almost as awful as The Hutin himself.
Mark Ellis
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb as were the two previous volumes in the series. Can't wait to read the fourth.
Sara Giacalone
These books are an easy read, full of interesting tidbits (as well as some historical inaccuracies). I like the author's occasional pithy statements and remarks.
Elena
3.75 stars.
I enjoyed it slightly less than the first two books, but it remains a fully enjoyable read, and I am very curious to read the next novel in the series.
Cristina Sburlea
I am so in love with this novel
Nadia
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those up for historically-accurate medieval fiction

REVIEW: THE POISONED CROWN (LES POISONS DE LA COURONNE)
eBook edition, English translation read

GENRE: Historical fiction.
SETTING: Early 14th-century France, during the latter days of King Louis X's short reign.
PROTAGONIST: No singular protagonist; instead, there are many different PoV characters.
PERSPECTIVE: Third-person.
PREMISE: Having rid himself of his father's ministers, the ill-tempered King Louis X proceeds to concentrate upon his own legacy, taking it upon himself t
Erik Wolfgang
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After taking a year or so hiatus from this series and remembering a surprising amount of the first two books, I have finished the third volume of Les Rois maudits, the Accursed Kings.

This book focuses on the end of the reign of Louis X, le Hutin (the quarreler), including his second marriage and obsession with creating an heir. However it is two sub-plots that really crate the motion and meat of the book - the inheritance of the county of Artois and the romance of Marie de Cressay and Guccio Bag
Keith Crawford
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here we are at the third book in the Accursed Kings series, and Louis X still isn’t a very good King, but he is very excited at the prospect of a new Queen (having murdered his last one). So much so that he neglects or outright ignores the brewing conflict between Robert of Artois and his Aunt Mahaut, and the violent struggle between his father’s progress or a return to feudalism.
Louis X is not just a bad human being, he’s bad at being a human being. Unlike Countess Mahaut, who positively relis
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Los Reyes Malditos I: El Rey de Hielo
  • Spain for the Sovereigns (Isabella and Ferdinand, #2)
  • The Family
  • La vallée
  • Y Julia retó a los dioses (Julia Domna, #2)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice
  • Мастер и Маргарита: роман. Булгаков М.А. Master and Margarita: a novel. Bulgakov MA
  • Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)
  • La Comunidad del Anillo, Parte 2 (El Señor de los Anillos, #1)
  • Pasión india
  • Marauder!Crack
  • The Prize
  • Le Grand Cœur
  • Le loup
  • L’oeil d’Odin (Les mondes de Thorgal - La jeunesse, #2)
  • Il était deux fois
  • En tiempos del papa sirio
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee

The Accursed Kings (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • La reina estrangulada (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • La flor de lis y el león (Los Reyes Malditos, #6)
  • De cómo un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)