Start by marking “The Sultan's Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Sultan's Eyes

The Sultan's Eyes

(Act of Faith #2)

The year is 1648 and life in Venice is serene for Isabella Hawkins and her friends Willem, Al-Qasim and Signora Contarini. Together they publish fine books like the controversial encyclopaedia, The Sum of All Knowledge. When a new Inquisitor declares war on free speech however, they are forced to flee across the seas to the wondrous capital of the Ottoman Empire, Constanti ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Angus & Robertson (HarperCollins Australia) (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Sultan's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sultan's Eyes

ALPHAreader
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sixteen-year-old Isabella Hawkins has experienced much sorrow in her time – first fleeing from England with her scholar father when The Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition (aka ‘The Spanish Inquisition’) rode throughout the land, upholding Catholic orthodoxy by any means necessary. Isabella and her father tried to flee to Amsterdam; but only Isabella arrived, orphaned after losing her father to the bitter seas. But the Inquisition, and one Holy man in particular called Fra Clement, wa ...more
Trisha
I am not a huge reader of historical fiction, but I loved Act of Faith, and I found this one just as engrossing, just as intelligent, just as poignant.

This is a book about ideas and their importance. It's a story about creating and looking after family. We sometimes have to find our own kind, and thankfully Isabella is surrounded by loyal and loving people.

The narrative seamlessly integrates all the history, the intrigue and the cruelty of a time when the Catholic Church went a little mad. The d
Seda
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
The main reason why I chose to read this book is because it's a form of fiction based on historical people, my favourite, favourite, favourite, and because I have found an interest in the Ottoman Empire recently.

Clearly, I had not read the first book of the series or even knew about it until I was one chapter in the book - and if i had, I would have probably found this book more enjoyable to read.

I found Isabella and Valentina to be strong willed and capable women, who chose to differ from the
Nisma
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have no words.
Just A. Bean
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Deeply excellent book with a few flaws towards the end. I really liked this take on what happens after the Girl's Own Adventure story of the first of the series. The structure is not, in itself, that different. We still have our polygot young printer sailing to exciting new places, getting total and immediate access to all the most interesting people therein, and having all kinds of adventures. The tone, however, shifted to something a little more sombre.

Our Heroine has managed, over the course
Kate Forsyth
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was on a panel with Kelly Gardiner at the Melbourne Writers Festival, and so read The Sultan’s Eyes in preparation for our talk together. Historical fiction is my favourite genre, and I particularly love books set in the mid-17th century, a time of such bloody turmoil and change. I set my six-book series of children’s historical adventure novels ‘The Chain of Charms’ during this time and so I know the period well. I absolutely loved reading The Sultan’s Eyes, which is set in Venice and Constan ...more
Rosanne Hawke
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This is the way I think historical fiction should be written. The Sultan's Eyes by Kelly Gardiner has beautiful prose with golden lines, use of metaphor (just the right amount as too many clever metaphors can spoil the effect) and I was never forced to be aware of the huge amount of research that Gardiner would have undertaken. She seamlessly wove a story and transported me to Constantinople in the seventeenth century. Characters are strong, individual yet true to the times. Add to this a page-t ...more
Erin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, THE SULTAN'S EYES will definitely be enjoyable if you were like me and loving Kelly Gardiner's Act of Faith book. If you loved that book, then there's a big guarantee that you will also love its sequel as well.

Full review: http://talesoftheinnerbookfanatic.blo...
Cathryn
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
The sequel to Act of Faith was everything I expected of Kelly Gardiners books. Although it belongs to the young adult genre, it's a book that would appeal to most ages. Very easy to read. Also great to see a strong female character like Isabella. A great book. I loved it.
Nella
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sequel to Act of Faith which I really enjoyed. In this book Isabella is a more prickly character but eventually she works out why.
Ainsley
Jul 04, 2017
Jane
Oct 22, 2017
Cassiopea⚓
rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2018
Jun 27, 2017
Sophie
Sep 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kelly Gardiner's latest book for young readers is 'Brimstone', the first in a time slip adventure series called 'The Firewatcher Chronicles'. Her previous novel was '1917: Australia's Great War', set in Flanders and in Melbourne during the First World War.
Her novel 'Goddess' was based on the life of the remarkable Julie d'Aubigny, also known as Mademoiselle de Maupin - a 17th century opera singer

Act of Faith (2 books)